Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Ivan Smith from WayForward seems to be going crazy checking the like button on 90% of the comments in the Duck Tales Remastered miiverse page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

flyboi posted:

Yeah I understand that but it seems dumb to just always play through both mediums unless you enable off-screen play. It's like playing the radio in your room while wearing headphones at the same time it just doesn't make any sense.

I'd rather have the choice to use either the TV's speakers or the GamePad's headphone port than have to let the game choose for me. For instance, if I wanted to play a game on the TV, but didn't want to disturb anyone with the noise, then I could mute the TV and plug my earphones into the GamePad.

I hope the DualShock 4's headphone port lets you listen to the game audio too, rather than just voice chat, since I like to use my earphones but would rather not have to use extension and adapter cables to do so.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

Chekans 3 16 posted:

You also are going to have a terrible time playing W101 with a stylus. Stick to your finger for drawing, or just use the right thumbstick.

I gave the demo a shot last night since I don't need the stylus like I thought. I was looking forward to the game but I wasn't really sold on the demo. The combat system felt really basic and didn't seem to have any depth. Combat was basically summon the sword or fist and spam A while drawing shapes for a unite attack. I haven't really read the blog posts or watched the Nintendo Direct yet so maybe I'm missing something?

I had fun playing the demo but I feel like the combat would get boring after an hour or so. I'm going to give the game the benefit of the doubt, but I think I'm going to wait and see how the reviews go before buying it.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

mcpringles posted:

I gave the demo a shot last night since I don't need the stylus like I thought. I was looking forward to the game but I wasn't really sold on the demo. The combat system felt really basic and didn't seem to have any depth. Combat was basically summon the sword or fist and spam A while drawing shapes for a unite attack. I haven't really read the blog posts or watched the Nintendo Direct yet so maybe I'm missing something?

I had fun playing the demo but I feel like the combat would get boring after an hour or so. I'm going to give the game the benefit of the doubt, but I think I'm going to wait and see how the reviews go before buying it.

Did you try normal or just easy?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

That loving Sned posted:

I hope the DualShock 4's headphone port lets you listen to the game audio too, rather than just voice chat, since I like to use my earphones but would rather not have to use extension and adapter cables to do so.

I don't think they're going to do this because rather than setting up their own adapter this is actually one of the main reasons many people pick up those Pulse, Turtle Beach, etc. headsets the industry makes $$$ on.

Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

Sic Parvis Magna and all that

mcpringles posted:

I posted my video of the demo once before but take a look at it if you're interested in seeing what the combat has to offer. It's got a fair amount of depth to it. Platinum's demos are never entirely indicative of what the game is like because they don't have much as far as tutorials go and the fact that they are usually from a beginning area with the weakest enemy types in the game.

Chip Cheezum fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Aug 14, 2013

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

Chip Cheezum posted:

I posted my video of the demo once before but take a look at it if you're interested in seeing what the combat has to offer. It's got a fair amount of depth to it. Platinum's demos are never entirely indicative of what the game is like because they don't have much as far as tutorials go and the fact that they are usually from a beginning area with the weakest enemy types in the game.

I think I was playing on normal but maybe I selected easy. I just watched your LP which made me feel better about the game.

Question on the Club Nintendo rewards. I want to get Link's Awakening DX, but I don't have a 3DS yet. I'll probably get one for Christmas. Does the download code last forever, or do I have a limited time to activate it?

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Chip Cheezum posted:

I heard you had the video up but hadn't gotten around to watching it until just now, and I haven't played the demo yet (I usually hate spoiling games I'm somewhat interested in). All this time I heard it called a Pikmin clone, but it's really just another Kamiya action game ala Devil May Cry/Bayonetta with a drawing gimmick similar to Okama? Now I'm more excited for it than before. I really should download the demo to get used to the controls. :allears:

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I was kind of hoping all along it would be similar to Pikmin, but yea... it's pretty much nothing like it.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr
Who the hell is calling this a pikmin clone?!

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Rawrbomb posted:

You mean besides the title of the game's thread in this forum?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Rawrbomb posted:

Almost everyone, including people who've actually played the game and should know better.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

SIMILARITIES:
-you control 100 small dudes
-end of list

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Rawrbomb posted:

It was what a lot of people were assuming based on just gameplay footage. Even I thought it was until both watching that video and actually playing the demo.

symptom
Oct 19, 2011

Supercar Gautier posted:

SIMILARITIES:
-end of list

and the small dudes can jump on enemies and beat them up, but other than that, there's not very many.

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders

SilverSupernova posted:

Ivan Smith from WayForward seems to be going crazy checking the like button on 90% of the comments in the Duck Tales Remastered miiverse page.

I've actually had some issues with the Wii U version and posted on Miiverse about it. Ivan Smith responded to me, but I didn't realize he was WayForward staff.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Nintendo please put a Unite Morph-like ability in Pikmin 4, tia

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

citizenlowell posted:

I've actually had some issues with the Wii U version and posted on Miiverse about it. Ivan Smith responded to me, but I didn't realize he was WayForward staff.

Yeah, he's very active in any bug reporting posts and some general questions about the game on Miiverse. Its nice to see a developer taking full advantage of Miiverse to gather opinions and bug reports, or just chat with the fans. If only more companies did this.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Luigi pins are arriving!

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Suaimhneas posted:

Nintendo please put a Unite Morph-like ability in Pikmin 4, tia

Unite Onion!

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

SilverSupernova posted:

Yeah, he's very active in any bug reporting posts and some general questions about the game on Miiverse. Its nice to see a developer taking full advantage of Miiverse to gather opinions and bug reports, or just chat with the fans. If only more companies did this.

The Toki Tori 2 devs made a bunch of little changes to the game based on Miiverse feedback, and I think they even added some Miiverse fan drawings to the game as cave paintings or something.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Wonderful 101 Blog Update #15: When All Else Fails, Use Your Head

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
So if I really liked the Wonderful 101 what other games should I check out on the Wii U while I wait for it to be released?

Just got this thing a few days ago, really pleased with it.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

JackDarko posted:

So if I really liked the Wonderful 101 what other games should I check out on the Wii U while I wait for it to be released?

Look for games tagged with this in the second post

I've tried to do this for each game that gets a positive consensus here.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

JackDarko posted:

Pikmin 3, for one :v:.

ZombiU is great if you like survival horror (actual survival horror of "Oh poo poo, it's A zombie and I have four bullets left", not "GET YOU SOME, UNDEAD MUTHAS!").

Lego City: Undercover is good silly open-world fun with a shitload of things to do and unlock.

Sonic All-Stars Racing Transformed is great kart-racing fun, if you don't already have it on another platform.

And there's always New Super Mario Bros U, of course.

edit: Also, I fixed the border on the recommendation image.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Aug 15, 2013

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
Get Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate if you want to lose all of your time, forever.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Need For Speed Most Wanted is on pretty much every system too, but the Wii U version is the best. 60fps, PC quality textures and models, and the touchscreen can be used to let you (or another player) change cars on the fly, change time of day, toggle traffic on and off, and disrupt cops.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Neddy Seagoon posted:

edit: Also, I fixed the border on the recommendation image.

I was just thinking this needed to be done. Thank you, I'll find and replace that bitch.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Gutcruncher posted:

PC quality textures and models

This reminds me: is there any definitive information on how much more powerful the Wii U is than the Xbox 360 or the PS3? At first I thought it was "a little" but I read something recently that made me think that, when developed for properly, it's closer to halfway between those and the upcoming consoles? (Maybe a third of the way. Also I am making these numbers up, but you know what I mean.) At any rate, the answers seem inconclusive.

I don't need to know for anything--I guess I'm just curious about the degree to which third parties are making GBS threads on Nintendo by not trying to leverage the console's strengths.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

This reminds me: is there any definitive information on how much more powerful the Wii U is than the Xbox 360 or the PS3? At first I thought it was "a little" but I read something recently that made me think that, when developed for properly, it's closer to halfway between those and the upcoming consoles? (Maybe a third of the way. Also I am making these numbers up, but you know what I mean.) At any rate, the answers seem inconclusive.

I don't need to know for anything--I guess I'm just curious about the degree to which third parties are making GBS threads on Nintendo by not trying to leverage the console's strengths.

From what I've heard in developer interviews, it's slightly more powerful than the 360 and PS3 but with a better GPU which is what Criterion used to make NFS:MW look so good on the console. Just not many devs actually bother to figure out how to properly exploit that extra GPU power and just dismiss it as less powerful.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Gutcruncher posted:

Need For Speed Most Wanted is on pretty much every system too, but the Wii U version is the best. 60fps, PC quality textures and models, and the touchscreen can be used to let you (or another player) change cars on the fly, change time of day, toggle traffic on and off, and disrupt cops.
Well 30fps (supposedly more consistent than the other console versions at least) and PC textures, they never mentioned anything about models though. It also has improved night lighting.

...but it doesn't have the expansion DLC :(. On the plus side, not that it's too much of a consolation, it includes the DLC cars from before its release (but not the later car packs). At least it's cheap now like the other versions so if you're fine with the base stuff or never get DLC to begin with it's fine.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

The Wii U at least has a ton of RAM compared to the 360 and PS3.

The 360 had 512MB of shared RAM along with a fast 10MB of eDRAM, and the PS3 had 256MB of RAM for the CPU and a faster 256MB for the GPU. A small amount of RAM is dedicated to OS on both consoles.

The Wii U has 2GB of shared RAM, with 1GB being dedicated to games. It also has 34MB of eDRAM.

Unfortunately, since most multiplatform games are designed with the 360 and PS3's 512MB of RAM, there isn't many games that utilise the extra RAM on the Wii U. Some games like Sonic All-Stars Racing Transformed have the higher resolution textures from the PC version, at least.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Supercar Gautier posted:

SIMILARITIES:
-end of list

Gathering alien produce for fun and profit

G_Bomber
Jun 22, 2007

by Debbie Metallica
:psyduck:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The blind Pokemon Rumble U figures are now available in the UK. There's also a package you can get with a download code, 2 figures and a checklist poster.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

njsykora posted:

The blind Pokemon Rumble U figures are now available in the UK. There's also a package you can get with a download code, 2 figures and a checklist poster.

Ashens is gonna have more things to burn very soon.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

njsykora posted:

Weird, NOE PR spent all of last week telling PAL people to redact any pictures/mentions of the NFC functionality, only to make a release day announcement that Europe is getting the figurines after all.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Apparently Yakuza 1+2 HD did pretty bad in Japan, didn't even hit the top 50 in sales :smith:

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

JackDarko posted:

I'll echo Pikmin 3. The wife and I love it - it's easy enough for non-gamers, but clever enough to hold the interest of more experienced gaming folk.

I'm pretty sure I'm picking up Scribblenauts Unmasked the day it comes out (which is a little over a month away).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

Zeether posted:

Apparently Yakuza 1+2 HD did pretty bad in Japan, didn't even hit the top 50 in sales :smith:

I'd buy it in an instant here in the States. And then I'd buy it in an instant on the PS3 to have it with the rest of the games on one system (disregarding Kenzan and the PSP games).

But SEGA.

• Locked thread