Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode
The Spanish train driver was just charged with 79 counts of homicide.

Isn't it a little soon to jump to blaming the driver?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

NightGyr posted:

The Spanish train driver was just charged with 79 counts of homicide.

Isn't it a little soon to jump to blaming the driver?

He admitted to taking the curve too fast when questioned.

quote:

In a closed-door hearing before Judge Alaez, Garzon admitted taking the curve too fast, blaming it on a momentary lapse, according to media reports.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/07/29/us-spain-train-idUSBRE96R04P20130729

Spanish law is a little different than Common law, which I was not aware of.

quote:

Under Spanish law, his legal status is that he is suspected of being involved in 79 counts of reckless homicide but has not been formally charged.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-23486048

vains fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jul 29, 2013

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
There was just a headon collision in Switzerland. Not a good month for train travel....

http://www.24heures.ch/news/standard/gros-accident-train-payerne/story/29443314

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Too many planes and trains crashing this year. I think I'll just stay inside. :smith:

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

SouthLAnd posted:

Too many planes and trains crashing this year. I think I'll just stay inside. :smith:

Queue house crashing into another house.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

SouthLAnd posted:

http://vimeo.com/33803144

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

SouthLAnd posted:

Meanwhile, earlier in this very thread....

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Guess I'll break up all the train crash news with pictures of this big rear end bridge:

emf
Aug 1, 2002

jamal posted:

Guess I'll break up all the train crash news with pictures of this big rear end bridge:

VC hi-line rep-ruh-zent

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I spotted a train from what i understand is somewhat special. I'll try to post the whole thing in as few pictures as possible.

jamal posted:

To bring it full circle, if this is the lethbridge viaduct, the architect killed himeself before the first train ran over it because he believed the bridge would fail. It has since been in service for over 100 years.

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008
I just recently noticed that Steam added the Class A4 Pacifics add-on for Train Simulator 2013. Of course, it includes the famous Mallard, the fastest steam locomotive ever built. I finally got a chance to do a simulation of a Mallard speed-run. Now if I can just figure out how to operate the fireman position too as the AI fireman often opens the live injector on uphill grades, using precious boiler pressure when the cylinders need it most.

Here's a picture of her at the National Railway Museum in York:

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!

Powershift posted:

I spotted a train from what i understand is somewhat special. I'll try to post the whole thing in as few pictures as possible.

That there would be a Rail Grinder.

vains
May 26, 2004

Pretty sound advice

Analogue Kid
Jan 4, 2013

Veins McGee posted:

Pretty sound advice

On a closed-top hopper car, graffiti artists are mature

vains
May 26, 2004

Iron Soul posted:

Railcar graffiti is pretty cool. I want to make a coffee table book about railcar graffiti titled 'Foamergraphs'(still cracks me up) for Christmas/retirement presents.

Gisnep
Mar 29, 2010

Veins McGee posted:

Railcar graffiti is pretty cool.
Have you seen North Bank Fred's website? He has some cool freighthopping stories as well.

https://www.northbankfred.com

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Iron Soul posted:

This is amazing.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

No Pun Intended posted:

That there would be a Rail Grinder.

I got to see a rail grinder working out on the Eyre Peninsula in South Aus last summer. We were on our way to a prescribed burn that went pearshaped and came across it in the middle of the night. Thing was starting grass fires left, right and centre!

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007

Ferremit posted:

I got to see a rail grinder working out on the Eyre Peninsula in South Aus last summer. We were on our way to a prescribed burn that went pearshaped and came across it in the middle of the night. Thing was starting grass fires left, right and centre!

I saw one in the winter here - the snow would help with that. I guess you don't have that option...

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!
I was handing out the King's shilling to graduates at a careers day at a local university and apparently there was some kids event going on at this same time. So some kid and his mom pass by and he starts asking about all the pictures we have on our poster and I helpfully answer them.

He points at the rail grinder and asks if the train is ok because of all the fire coming out the bottom :3:

Unclean
Jun 28, 2002
Probably about 20 years ago my brother and I saw a very detailed image of a woman's vagina and under it the phrase "Sweatmeat Lives!". We look for it on every train we come across to this day.

Has anyone else here seen that or any other graffiti saying Sweetmeat Lives? I hope so dammit!

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I heard a train blow their whistle to the tune of "shave and a haircut, two bits". I'd be doing that all the time if I were an engineer.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
My favorite train tag

Tex Avery
Feb 13, 2012

Guy Axlerod posted:

I heard a train blow their whistle to the tune of "shave and a haircut, two bits". I'd be doing that all the time if I were an engineer.

An engineer I used to work with got tired of playing "Shave and a Haircut" all the time, so he became proficient at playing other short tunes. I heard him do several, ranging from "LA Cucaracha" to "Jingle Bells".

ctishman
Apr 26, 2005

Oh Giraffe you're havin' a laugh!
Not sure that if (or how often) this has been posted, but drat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=je7N8wkgAOE

Apparently this is what happens when you spray fire suppressant not only on the ties of a steep grade, but the rails as well.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

ctishman posted:

Apparently this is what happens when you spray fire suppressant not only on the ties of a steep grade, but the rails as well.

Holy gently caress. That dude closest to the camera breaks into a jog at the exact right instant.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

Canna Happy posted:

They used to recall in seniority order, but not anymore. You need to bid on a job to get recalled, unless they're calling everyone or something. I have a few guys under me working full time out at bill right now, and more in morrill I'm sure. So yeah, unassigned spot on the extra board and guys below me working it, but they didn't do anything with that bid today.

I do believe that after next election that there will be changes that cause the patch to open up again. Not to pre-Obama levels, but considerably.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
:nms: nothing gore, just sad idiocy resulting in train related death
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=799_1376398642

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

ctishman posted:

Did we just hear people clap?

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

Kidney Stone posted:

Did you see how well they stuck the landing?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Kidney Stone posted:

The Croatian judges are very forgiving.

dubzee
Oct 23, 2008

So apparently Elon Musk (Tesla Motors, SpaceX) is not a big fan of California's proposed high speed rail. His solution? Hyperloop Alpha; 700+ MPH trains in low pressure tubes riding on a cushion of air. Tony Stark would be proud.

Here's a massive PDF with all the :techno:

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008

dubzee posted:

So apparently Elon Musk (Tesla Motors, SpaceX) is not a big fan of California's proposed high speed rail. His solution? Hyperloop Alpha; 700+ MPH trains in low pressure tubes riding on a cushion of air. Tony Stark would be proud.

I like the version of this device printed in The Onion: New Super-Fast Transport System Powered By Passengers Screams.

McDeth
Jan 12, 2005

dubzee posted:

I love trains, but the way that California High Speed rail is being implemented is so hosed it boggles the imagination. That's not to mention the fact that the company that won the contract, Tutor-Perini, has direct ties with Senator Diane Jewstein's husband. Cronyism capitalism at its finest.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

dubzee
Oct 23, 2008

Haha nice, hadn't seen that yet. (edit: the Onion article)

Read through the PDF and it's not talking about trains at all but inarticulated capsules departing between 30 seconds and 2 minutes apart. It does look feasible though and at 7.5 billion Musk could probably build the drat thing all by himself.

edit2: ^^^ Jewstein? Really?

dubzee fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Aug 14, 2013

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

McDeth posted:

I love trains, but the way that California High Speed rail is being implemented is so hosed it boggles the imagination. That's not to mention the fact that the company that won the contract, Tutor-Perini, has direct ties with Senator Diane Jewstein's husband. Cronyism capitalism at its finest.

:what:

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

dubzee posted:

It does look feasible though and at 7.5 billion Musk could probably build the drat thing all by himself.

It looks feasible in the same way a space elevator looks feasible. And 7.5 billion wouldnt even get an elevated structure from LA to bakersfield, let alone installing, testing, and engineering a 700mph untested theoretical rapid transportation system on that structure.

It's fun pie-and-the-sky talk, but since its Musk who is a hell of a salesman and self promoter, suddenly its news.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

McDeth posted:

I might have been inclined to look into that, but considering the source it's not necessary.

What year do you think it is?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

They should just build a monorail instead. It glides as softly as a cloud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City

McDeth posted:

Senator Diane Jewstein's husband.

You know somebody has said some egregious poo poo when you go to report a post and SA is like "gently caress dude we know."

Regarding the electromagnetic tube I think that it's a great idea that needs to be tested somewhere that doesn't have the massive bureaucracy of California. Rather than the LA to San Francisco distance and logistical problems they should look into something more economical like between RTP and Charlotte. Lots of tech infrastructure and 21st century money. Being able to live in Charlotte but work in RTP would be incredible and would make the commute like 20 minutes over the default 2.5 hour car ride. This type of technology is brilliant but it has to get its foot in the door without necessarily shooting for the moon on the first try.

Paul Boz_ fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Aug 14, 2013