Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

In a world where one bear has a shotgun: Fuck.
I don't think Wing has the punch necessary to do any real damage to Big O unless it gets to sit there firing at it unimpeded for a minute or so. On the other hand, I don't know that Big O could hit Wing Zero with any move it has, so I say stalemate.

But that would be boring, so Big O does that move in, I think, SRW Z and pulls Wing in with one of it's anchors, gears up for Giant Impact, swings, but Wing manages to fire the beam rifle right at one of Big O's joints causing the arm to come off. The arm, mid swing, flies off, hits the beam cannon and breaks it. Both the robots are critically harmed when Emperor Gore takes the opportunity to destroy them both, and the Getter Team is still 15 minutes away. What possible hope could there be for their survival?

paragon1 posted:

Big O, because the way these series are written Heero and Roger Smith would meet in person like halfway into it, and Heero would have to run for his Gundam while Roger would be all "BIG O, IT'S SHOWTIME" and then Heero would get stepped on. :smugbert:

This is also pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Clawshrimpy posted:

If Imagawa wasn't a hack he would've corrected Nagai's flaw by giving it a good ending.

But that's the actual ending, that it leads into the next part of the story. That's not a flaw at all. Stop being obtuse.

Clawshrimpy
Aug 10, 2013

by XyloJW

Srice posted:

Tetsujin-28.

Also inconclusive endings aren't inherently bad (and conclusive endings aren't inherently good either).

e: VVV I, too, have been bored today.

Inconclusive endings are bad if they don't make any god drat sense like your typical Imagawa ending.

Clawshrimpy
Aug 10, 2013

by XyloJW

Dickeye posted:

But that's the actual ending, that it leads into the next part of the story. That's not a flaw at all. Stop being obtuse.

And Nagai wasn't a good writer when he made all those cliffhangers to troll people. If Imagawa was a good writer he wouldn't have doubled down on Nagai's bullshit.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Clawshrimpy posted:

Inconclusive endings are bad if they don't make any god drat sense like your typical Imagawa ending.

What part of it doesnt make sense? Ashura was the seal to summoning Hades back, killing the badguy allowed him to kill himself, undoing the seal.

e: Your two key examples are two shows that are part of a greater narrative, he probably had no say in diverting away from those endings.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

onepixeljumpman posted:

What possible hope could there be for their survival?

I'm thinking Braiger. They do arrive when called, after all.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Clawshrimpy posted:

And Nagai wasn't a good writer when he made all those cliffhangers to troll people. If Imagawa was a good writer he wouldn't have doubled down on Nagai's bullshit.

I don't think you actually know what words mean.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Can we all just put Clawshrimpy on our ignore lists and move on? 400 posts on the same inane argument is a bit much. Especially when 100 of them are his.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Clawshrimpy posted:

There was no cliffhanger, Mazinger Z's manga ended in September 1974, and Great Mazinger started in October 1974. I don't think you actually know anything you're talking about.

KoB
May 1, 2009

dis astranagant posted:

Can we all just put Clawshrimpy on our ignore lists and move on? 400 posts on the same inane argument is a bit much. Especially when 100 of them are his.

Its not like anything else was going on in this thread :v:.

Clawshrimpy
Aug 10, 2013

by XyloJW

Dj Meow Mix posted:

There was no cliffhanger, Mazinger Z's manga ended in September 1974, and Great Mazinger started in October 1974. I don't think you actually know anything you're talking about.

Still awful inconclusive cliffhangers are a lovely way to ensure people keep reading, reguardless of whether the story is good or not. It's a dumb way of extending a tired storyline

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

KoB posted:

What part of it doesnt make sense? Ashura was the seal to summoning Hades back, killing the badguy allowed him to kill himself, undoing the seal.

e: Your two key examples are two shows that are part of a greater narrative, he probably had no say in diverting away from those endings.

Imagawa can be goofy on some things but he is aces at making sure that all the pieces of the puzzle fit together perfectly.

I think the main reason I enjoy Imagawa's writing is that he's one of the few people that can make a mystery box type of show where the ~mystery~ is both compelling and well planned out. Right from the beginning he knows what the details of the mystery are gonna be, and even when he has to do an infodump he knows how to make it interesting. Sadly there's not a lot of people that can do either. Nevermind both.

It's a shame that his current writing project is just a manga adaption (Gifu Doudu or however it's spelled. The one based on a manga by the Fist of the North Star artist. Sadly, the writer of the FotNS manga isn't involved). I feel like being part of a show that's a direct adaption of a manga is a misuse of his talents. Especially since IIRC this is the first thing he's worked on since Shin Mazinger. But I suppose it pays the bills.

Clawshrimpy posted:

Still awful inconclusive cliffhangers are a lovely way to ensure people keep reading, reguardless of whether the story is good or not. It's a dumb way of extending a tired storyline

The Empire Strikes Back: A lovely movie????

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....

Clawshrimpy posted:

How is it an inconclusive cliffhanger that in the end mazinger lost.

Clawshrimpy
Aug 10, 2013

by XyloJW

Clever Spambot posted:

How is it an inconclusive cliffhanger that in the end mazinger lost.

Because it cuts off there rather than give conclusive closure the way GGG FINAL did.

FortMax
Mar 22, 2013

The Bunny Hat

Clawshrimpy posted:

Making the reader or viewer wonder what happens next is the entire point of having a cliffhanger. It if wasn't inconclusive, it wouldn't be a cliffhanger.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!
By the way, Clawshrimpy, did you know that instead of quoting people individually, you can hit Post, and then scroll down to press the Quote button on individual posts and include them all into the same post? It's a handy feature, to be sure! No need to thank me, by the way, just doing my part to help a newbie goon. Welcome to the Something Awful forums, and don't forget to lurk! :thumbsup:

Anyway, back to the topic at hand: Who would win in a fight between Goku and Evangelion?

Fred is on fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Aug 15, 2013

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

Shaezerus posted:

I'm thinking Braiger. They do arrive when called, after all.

And Braiger can fly through jets without really being bothered by it, so launching Dino Jets to distract it won't work. Sounds good to me.

FortMax
Mar 22, 2013

The Bunny Hat

Clawshrimpy posted:

Because it cuts off there rather than give conclusive closure the way GGG FINAL did.

GaoGaiGar Final came out two years after the last episode of GaoGaiGar aired, and that's perfectly fine, right?

But making people wait an entire month between Mazinger Z's ending and the start of Great Mazinger? That's like 30 whole days! Nobody can wait that long!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

FortMax posted:

GaoGaiGar Final came out two years after the last episode of GaoGaiGar aired, and that's perfectly fine, right?

But making people wait an entire month between Mazinger Z's ending and the start of Great Mazinger? That's like 30 whole days! Nobody can wait that long!

Not to mention that FINAL took about 3 years for all 8 episodes to come out. Not as nuts as Giant Robo's 6 years but 3 years is still quite a lot of time! Makes me quite glad that I wasn't watching GGG as it was getting fansubbed, that's for sure.

(Also the GaoGaiGar sequel was cancelled but I'm sure that doesn't count because ~reasons~)

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

onepixeljumpman posted:

I don't think Wing has the punch necessary to do any real damage to Big O unless it gets to sit there firing at it unimpeded for a minute or so. On the other hand, I don't know that Big O could hit Wing Zero with any move it has, so I say stalemate.

But that would be boring, so Big O does that move in, I think, SRW Z and pulls Wing in with one of it's anchors, gears up for Giant Impact, swings, but Wing manages to fire the beam rifle right at one of Big O's joints causing the arm to come off. The arm, mid swing, flies off, hits the beam cannon and breaks it. Both the robots are critically harmed when Emperor Gore takes the opportunity to destroy them both, and the Getter Team is still 15 minutes away. What possible hope could there be for their survival?

Now I wish I could see this in an actual anime, you bastard :argh:

Clawshrimpy
Aug 10, 2013

by XyloJW

Srice posted:

Not to mention that FINAL took about 3 years for all 8 episodes to come out. Not as nuts as Giant Robo's 6 years but 3 years is still quite a lot of time! Makes me quite glad that I wasn't watching GGG as it was getting fansubbed, that's for sure.

(Also the GaoGaiGar sequel was cancelled but I'm sure that doesn't count because ~reasons~)

At least there was a sequel planned. Where with Shin Mazinger Imagawa was pretty clear with the "Great-hen was never going to be a thing" statements. Since the studio that did Shin Mazinger went loving bankrupt making it, rightfully so.

Clawshrimpy fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Aug 15, 2013

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

Fred is on posted:

Who would win in a fight between Goku and Evangelion?

Are we talking Unit 01 with or without an S2 engine? Or awakened Unit 01 from 2.0?

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
Also what level of goku? This is like a math problem i dont have enough information to solve.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Fred is on posted:

By the way, Clawshrimpy, did you know that instead of quoting people individually, you can hit Post, and then scroll down to press the Quote button on individual posts and include them all into the same post? It's a handy feature, to be sure! No need to thank me, by the way, just doing my part to help a newbie. Welcome to the Something Awful forums, and don't forget to lurk! :thumbsup:

Anyway, back to the topic at hand: Who would win in a fight between Goku and Evangelion?

Silver Age Superman, who is beaten by the USS Enterprise because it can go into a system with a red sun.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

KoB posted:

Its not like anything else was going on in this thread :v:.

I think I'd rather have a rarely-active thread than one where a bunch of people try to argue with a mentally handicapped person.

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

The power of the Outsider is

...dat ass
:yosbutt:

dis astranagant posted:

Clawshrimpy has previously been identified as requiring more serious measures.

Clawshrimpy
Aug 10, 2013

by XyloJW

Mercury Crusader posted:

I think I'd rather have a rarely-active thread than one where a bunch of people try to argue with a mentally handicapped person.

What's wrong with me having a mental condition, that really shouldn't matter.

Whatever personal problem I have doesn't make me less of a person, or less of an opinion. :smith:

Clawshrimpy fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Aug 15, 2013

Lepecard
May 19, 2009
Soiled Meat
Holy poo poo, within this sea of talk of the " The Punch heard around the world!" I wasn't able to see if that Dragon's heaven manga was the right one that one guy was looking for? Was it?

Also, for anyone following this thread and have not seen Gaogaigar please don't let this horrible and pointless discussion deter you from enjoying a great show.

In fact, watch enough of it and you eventually get to see two giant robots decimate the genitals of an artificial god!

Watch Gaogaigar, it's fun! :iia:

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Clawshrimpy posted:

What's wrong with me having a mental condition, that really shouldn't matter.

Whatever personal problem I have doesn't make me less of a person, or less of an opinion. :smith:

Yeah, and getting shot in the heart doesn't kill me, but the lack of oxygen flowing to my brain that results sure as poo poo does.

Edit: And the answer to fred is on's question is Goku, I don't even know how that could be up for debate.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away
Can we talk about how Getter Robo is getting a new anime in 2014 instead of jerking Clawshrimpy off for another 10 pages?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Gonna be weird seeing an animated Getter with so many mechanical details but there isn't a :getin: big enough for this.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

dis astranagant posted:

Gonna be weird seeing an animated Getter with so many mechanical details but there isn't a :getin: big enough for this.

I think if it's that detailed it's probably gonna be CG Getters :ohdear:

But hey first new Getter anime in awhile. I'm hype enough that I can look past that.

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

Yes. Please do tell me more so my excited flipping the gently caress out can be appropriately directed.

:ninja: Am I crazy, or that Arc? The 2 looks kinda like the Arc 2, and bottom says "Dino Getter."

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I told myself I probably wouldn't watch new anime that isn't more JoJo, but there's no way I'm not watching a new Getter Robo.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Silentman0 posted:

Can we talk about how Getter Robo is getting a new anime in 2014 instead of jerking Clawshrimpy off for another 10 pages?

Wow, I've liked most of the various Getter designs/redesigns but for whatever reason I am absolutely not into that one at all.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

That big DINOGETTER across the bottom and the design of Getter 3's arm definitely raises questions that aren't going to be answered any time soon. Getter 2's non-drill arm, too.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I didn't even notice that.
I am definitely fine with this development. :allears:

Lepecard
May 19, 2009
Soiled Meat

This is the first i've seen of this! YESSSSS!

Srice posted:

I think if it's that detailed it's probably gonna be CG Getters :ohdear:

Oh NOOOOOOoooooooo........

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

Wow, I've liked most of the various Getter designs/redesigns but for whatever reason I am absolutely not into that one at all.

Yeah. I can't explain why, but something about the designs bugs me. Even if it winds up being funky I won't say no to more Getter though.

Lepecard posted:

Oh NOOOOOOoooooooo........

Honestly between Valvrave and MJP I think CG mechs on a tv budget have gotten fairly good!

Hopefully this is an OVA though, so they can have a good amount of time to polish it.

Srice fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Aug 15, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Dynamic Pro x someone, don't know my moon enough to know who they're working with.

• Locked thread