Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Real hurthling! posted:

This foaming stuff for dishes?

http://www.dawn-dish.com/us/dawn/product/037000006329

Do you just pour it out into a container?

Yep I just spray regular infantry models a few times on each side with it, I used to pour it all out into a container and soak it, but that's not necessary. Did a fire warrior last night where I sprayed him with that bottle a few times, let it sit for 15 min, and melted it off with a toothbrush afterward.

Edit>> For bigger comparison, I got a bunch of used land speeders that someone decided to prime over with some cheap chrome spray can that felt super thick. I just put it in a container, sprayed each side a few times, and it came off no problem. Even found older layers of paint that the guy before him had on it.

Ok, maybe you can't get it everywhere in the world, but it can't be that hard to find a common house hold degreaser for dishes even in a small locally run grocery store.

Slandible fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Aug 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

krushgroove posted:

I'm a MWG Vault member so I can download all their video releases and figured I would give this a shot.

Krushgroove, any chance you could do a general review/overview of MWG and how useful it is to have a membership?

Arlaharen
Aug 2, 2003

KISSIGA TESTIKLAR

CyberLord XP posted:

Old

New

Not saying your first stuff was bad, but you've shown a ton of progress. You're really making some gorgeous stuff. Just compare the amount of detail on the old and new shoes. Really nice.

This is super inspiring and makes me want to sculpt tiny mans. Awesome work Hellbeard!

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Khorne Flakes posted:

Yep I just spray regular infantry models a few times on each side with it, I used to pour it all out into a container and soak it, but that's not necessary. Did a fire warrior last night where I sprayed him with that bottle a few times, let it sit for 15 min, and melted it off with a toothbrush afterward.

Oh boy. Now the only thing stopping me from getting my 6th edition brets reorganized into a modern army is the crippling fear of painting 5 coats of arms on every knight.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
That Dawn Power dissolver is re-branded Fairy Power Spray and is simply the best thing at stripping paint you can find. Few sprays, left for an hour and it took even the undercoat off some Forgeworld models with a brief scrub with a toothbrush.

Do make sure you wear gloves though, that stuff can irritate your skin a bit in large quantities.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
See that right there is why I don't mind waiting overnight for Simple Green to do its thing. Works well, doesn't dissolve flesh.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

PST posted:

Krushgroove, any chance you could do a general review/overview of MWG and how useful it is to have a membership?

Yeah! I'll type something up tomorrow.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

What does dawn do to CA glue?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

evenworse username posted:

See that right there is why I don't mind waiting overnight for Simple Green to do its thing. Works well, doesn't dissolve flesh.

It wont dissolve your flesh, it will just tingle for about 10 minutes.

I said irritant, not dangerous. You also need to be dunking your hands in the stuff and then not washing them afterwards which you shouldnt be doing anyway.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah but remember what thread you're in? I'm willing to bet that, not only would someone here do that, someone here has already done that.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Babe Magnet posted:

Yeah but remember what thread you're in? I'm willing to bet that, not only would someone here do that, someone here has already done that.

That's how I bathe!

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
Can anyone link me to some good tutorials for doing Object Based Lighting? I've never tried it before but I think I'd like to experiment a bit.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Bucnasti posted:

Can anyone link me to some good tutorials for doing Object Based Lighting? I've never tried it before but I think I'd like to experiment a bit.

BrushThralls

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Bucnasti posted:

The Blue Table Painting videos on MiniWarGaming have an excellent OSL tutorial, if you can get over the voice issues of the narrator.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
My LGS is starting SAGA, so here is the beginning of my Saxon warband. I am a crappy painter and worse photographer, but I'm proud to have gotten them done.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Beerdeer posted:

My LGS is starting SAGA, so here is the beginning of my Saxon warband. I am a crappy painter and worse photographer, but I'm proud to have gotten them done.

I wouldn't knock em! I don't know how good they look up close, but from here they look good!

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.

Arlaharen posted:

This is super inspiring and makes me want to sculpt tiny mans. Awesome work Hellbeard!

Thank you very much! That is a very nice thing to read.
If you have any questions about how to work with the materials go ahead and ask.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I was at HobbyTown USA and I saw this stuff and bought it because I remember people saying it was good:

But uh, is this the right thing? It was over with the laquer paints and not with the acrylic paints. I found a dullcote product with the acrylic paints, but it was in a spray paint can and I wanted stuff for my airbrush. Also is running this poo poo through my airbrush going to clog it? It worried me a bit that there's a product specifically for cleaning it out of the airbrush (so I bought some) but maybe the intention is that you're using like, a big bottom-feed airbrush that you normally run lacquers and stuff through...

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Usually Dullcote is sprayed from the can by most people I think, I'm using up my supply because it's hard to find in the UK and I'm now using my airbrush for everything. I've found the Vallejo satin finish through the airbrush is the closest so far replicate Dullcote, but I'm going to be trying the Minitaire stuff as well to see how that works (probably just fine).

I'm not familiar with using that particular flavor of Dullcote but without a particular mix 'recipe' just experiment on old models or sprues to see what sort of mix you need. Definitely use an acrylic gloss coat before spraying this though! I've read online that it can strip paint. However, it doesn't need to be thinned and can be shot at 12psi. Testors do say if you need to thin it use only the thinner that you got (probably just a thing to say 'use our stuff only' but still you have the right stuff, apparently cellulose thinner you can get from an auto paint store is all it is). The cool thing with using thinner (apart from getting high if you forget to open a window) is that if you clog up something you can just soak your brush in thinner for a short while and it'll eat through the clog like Drano. Just make sure you have a decent airbrush with Teflon or PTFE seals (not rubber or plastic).

krushgroove fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Aug 15, 2013

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I've got an Iwata Neo and a Sotar 20/20.

I've got the full Minitaire set, but I wanted a coat that isn't water-soluble so I can do some of the tricks you can do with that. Also I've found the matte coat isn't very matte, although I need to try it a bit more.

e. also I'm a monkey who buys way too much poo poo for my miniature painting hobby, given how incredibly slowly I tend to actually paint anything.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Did some online searching and found some stuff so I edited my post - isn't it super late where you are? :) You should be fine with those brushes BTW. I'm the same with buying way too much crap for any hobby I start :P

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Leperflesh posted:

I was at HobbyTown USA and I saw this stuff and bought it because I remember people saying it was good:

But uh, is this the right thing? It was over with the laquer paints and not with the acrylic paints. I found a dullcote product with the acrylic paints, but it was in a spray paint can and I wanted stuff for my airbrush. Also is running this poo poo through my airbrush going to clog it? It worried me a bit that there's a product specifically for cleaning it out of the airbrush (so I bought some) but maybe the intention is that you're using like, a big bottom-feed airbrush that you normally run lacquers and stuff through...

I use this exact stuff, along with Testors glosscoat in a similar jar, for my airbrush. It rules. Just make sure you clean your airbrush with spirit after you're done. Return that thinner too, because I bet you paid a fortune for it and it's really just mineral spirit (AKA- turpentine, albiet higher grade).

It never clogs, but I don't use it straight from the jar. Dilute it 2:1 with spirit for a thin coat and 3:1 or 4:1 for a thicker coat. Also wear a respirator or you will loose brain cells. poo poo is really toxic.

Arlaharen
Aug 2, 2003

KISSIGA TESTIKLAR

Hellbeard posted:

Thank you very much! That is a very nice thing to read.
If you have any questions about how to work with the materials go ahead and ask.

I do a lot of conversions and add detail on already existing models so I'm comfortable with various putties and sculpting tools. I don't really know where to start with basic anatomy though, do you know of any good starter tutorials?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

krushgroove posted:

Did some online searching and found some stuff so I edited my post - isn't it super late where you are? :) You should be fine with those brushes BTW. I'm the same with buying way too much crap for any hobby I start :P

Yeah it's 1 AM. I should go to bed.

BULBASAUR posted:

I use this exact stuff, along with Testors glosscoat in a similar jar, for my airbrush. It rules. Just make sure you clean your airbrush with spirit after you're done. Return that thinner too, because I bet you paid a fortune for it and it's really just mineral spirit (AKA- turpentine, albiet higher grade).

It never clogs, but I don't use it straight from the jar. Dilute it 2:1 with spirit for a thin coat and 3:1 or 4:1 for a thicker coat. Also wear a respirator or you will loose brain cells. poo poo is really toxic.

I think you're referring to "white spirit" which is a British term for something we call mineral spirits over in the Colonies? Our stuff has several spirits in it, so I assume it's more haunted than yours, although yours have that ghostly white thing going on and ours are, I don't know, dinosaur phantoms extracted from light sweet crude in some cursed refinery.

I'll have to go buy some of that stuff! Also yeah I've got a NIOSH-rated respirator so I guess I'll wear that when I spray this poo poo.

I think the thinner cost more than the dullcote. I wonder if my wife still has the receipt...

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

Beerdeer posted:

They look fine to me from that distance. Remember when you are gaming even a simple paint job can look decent on the tabletop. Also Saga is a fantastic game, have fun.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Blood Angel Combat Squad incoming:

Just a quick set of mans done over a few days of good sunshine

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Solid color, good highlights, good job on the decals. I don't see any shine on those at all. Looks great.

Could probably stand to do more on the chests. I know you're able.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Those are some nice Blood Angels!

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Thanks guys :)

I could have spent way more time on them, the chest etc but really just wanted a nice solid paintjob on them, nothing flashy

Also KG - you can get Testors Dullcote from Firestorm games. Handy for me as they are in Cardiff, but you can buy online. http://www.firestormgames.co.uk/3302 I prefer it over airbrushed Vellejo Satin purely for ease of use, but as for the finish, I can't tell the difference to be honest.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Skarsnik posted:

Also KG - you can get Testors Dullcote from Firestorm games. Handy for me as they are in Cardiff, but you can buy online. http://www.firestormgames.co.uk/3302 I prefer it over airbrushed Vellejo Satin purely for ease of use, but as for the finish, I can't tell the difference to be honest.

I got mine from the Troll Trader (another Oath Thread sponsor!), in a 3-pack, but it took a while for them to get stock (I'm a regular customer of theirs pretty much). I'm all about the airbrush now, though, especially with winter around the corner. I'll keep a can around just to use every now and then, it's that smell that reminds me of ye olde modeling times :)

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

PST posted:

OK yeah, so: MiniWarGaming. I forget how I found them I think it was on Youtube via a related video well over a year ago, but I watched a few of their features and finally checked out their website. I missed out on getting the lifetime vault membership, which I would have gladly paid for (it was like $75 Canadian I think) but over the following months when they had a DVD release I would do the 'join for a week for a dollar' deal and download the DVD and a couple other videos. I finally joined up properly earlier this year and haven't regretted it.

For about $5 a month (on the silver membership - the gold costs a little more but you get discounts at various online stores in the US, Canada and the UK) I get total access to all the video battle reports and the review videos for the free battle reports, plus ALL of the DVD archives they've ever released, including the latest ones like the Blue Table Painting DVD (full review of this on my blog in a couple of days: http://tinyplasticspacement.wordpress.com). Because MWG have a variety of sections on their site, I'll split up the review according to how they have their site laid out.

Painting Videos
The painting videos are the main reason I signed up - I don't have to download the videos (although I have) and can watch them online (or on my computer, tablet, etc.) in full HD. For someone who's a beginner to intermediate painter paying a few bucks/quid a month is totally worth it, IMO. The MWG guys are fully aware that there are loads of good tutorials on Youtube and blogs, etc., so they have to keep the quality and the quantity of videos up to compete with the stuff you can get for free. So they put out a couple of free tutorials and say sign up for the rest. Let me tell you, the tutorials you pay for are as good as the ones they put out for free on the site or Youtube.

They have a couple of in-house people who do painting: mostly Kris, who is fantastic with a traditional brush and doesn't do anything by airbrush (unfortunately for me), and Jay who also does lots of battle reports as well as his own commission service. If you are an airbrush guy, you are probably better served by subscribing to Ichiban Studios, BuyPainted, Darknight (Chung from Wargamer's Consortium) and Les Burley on Youtube.

If you're an advanced painter, a dedicated airbrusher, a commission painter, or are completely happy with your style and method, you may not be interested. But if you're curious how other artists do their work, want to learn/try a new technique, or just want to have something playing while you're painting or doing yoga, these are a fantastic value.

Battle Reports
I know the opinions on batreps MWG do can be hit-or-miss, depending who you're asking, but I do enjoy watching them now and then. I don't watch nearly as many as I used to, and they've moved away from doing 95% 40K batreps and are moving into Star Wars, Infinity and more so they can diversify the business.

For me, getting the battle reports wasn't massively important but they're cool to have I think. There's only a couple of guys I like watching play: Dave (who plays lots of Chaos like me, as well as Blood Angels) and Dan (who plays mostly Orks and had just started Tau before he moved away). A lot of people don't like the 'Cooler' guy, Owen, but Jay is good to watch because (at least in the first videos he did) he explains the tactical reasons why he's done a move or whatever (not sure if he still does this now that they have to crank out the videos). They seem to mix up the 'fun' games with the really serious games when they have someone challenge them. The challenges are good because they bring in different people so you're not seeing the same people playing the same armies all the time.

Value-wise, the batreps depend entirely on your opinion of the people playing, and if your army is represented. They don't play Tyranids much, even though that's Matthew's main army, and they never play Dark Eldar, so I'm at a loss there. I eventually stopped watching most of them because I can't paint and watch a batrep at the same time, but I can listen to a live show and paint. But I do like watching them, I think they have to put a bunch out on Youtube for free so they bring in viewers and people to the site.

Live Shows
The live shows are the second biggest reason I joined the Vault. Unfortunately, they seem to have stopped doing most of them now. At the time I signed up (earlier this year), MWG got most of the people from the Wargamers Consortium (including Lester Burley, who all wargame painters should be familiar with and Ichiban Studios' Hugo, the French-Candian guy living in Japan who wears DC hats all the time, plus a Canadian guy local to them named Adam who runs Green Leaf Terrain and does amazing custom terrain projects, another terrain guy whose name escapes me at the moment, and another painter from Youtube named Jawaballs. All of these people had live shows and the the guys who run MWG themselves, Matthew (the guy with the glasses) and Dave (the guy with the goatee) have live shows and I believe Dan (the guy with glasses and beard) will have a show as well soon. The shows get anywhere from 80-100 viewers at a time and they run usually once every week or two (Matt's and Dan's shows alternate every week now) and they answer questions from the chat room and talk about projects they're working on, upcoming things and new releases in the wargaming world.

For a while I followed Les's and Adam's shows as they were saved on the MWG site - but somewhere along the way the archiving didn't work on Justin.tv or blip or whatever video service they were using, which is a shame if you've been away for a couple of weeks and want to see a project they've been working on to completion. Adam (Green Leaf Terrain) was really good about working on one project solidly for an hour, answering questions and describing everything he's doing - he did a beautiful multilevel display board for his Warmachine models with a river, waterfall, bridge, all during the live show. But like I said, I guess they ran out of steam, the contract/agreement ran its course or for whatever other reason all of the live shows have stopped except for the MWG staffer ones.

I like watching much of Dave's stuff because he does a lot of tactica-talk (I do skip past the first few minutes when he's playing to the crowd in chat, 'chaotically' whispering over a static picture) and Matthew's shows are interesting because he talks more about the business side of things - but I really didn't like it when people used to ask lots of questions about his and Dave's religion (let's not go into that!). On the down side, if a live show isn't going in the direction you'd expect or want, you're stuck watching it (you can't skip forward!) and there's a couple of shows where the guys were literally eating boxes and boxes of chicken wings with their face fully in camera, reading the chat room comments and I just closed the window. (they were celebrating a return visit from Dan, who'd left a couple months previous, but I didn't want to watch people not talk very much and stuff their faces)

So, I'm disappointed that a) the archived shows were impossible or hard to find and b) they've stopped doing most of them altogether.

Supporting MWG
The third and not inconsequential reason I joined the MWG Vault was to just support their efforts. At the time they still had their game store and Dan was a part of the team still, but I basically liked what they had going and decided that after signing up for the 4th or 5th $1 week of free downloads I'd join up properly. There's a lot of video stuff that they have available on their site, so if you like that and want to support them that could be a reason to join (or just watch the videos on Youtube and click on the ads that show up - that's a tiny bit of money each time that goes to them).

Vault members also have a 'private lounge' area on the MWG forums, but the forums aren't very heavily trafficked and that section even less so. The forums themselves are good, with polite members, if lightly attended compared to Dakkadakka or Warseer (which is a good and bad thing). The main thing I like about the MWG forums is that there's someone who goes through each 40K army that I have (and maybe he goes through the others as well) and rates each unit with the good and bad points of each and how to use them best. I've found that really helpful for my Dark Eldar and Chaos armies. But that's free so shouldn't count towards a review of the Vault.

I guess the final evaluation is *Will I sign up again?* At the moment I will, but I'd really like to have the huge amount of live show content, or something like it, come back. It feels like I paid for that, and now that it's gone (even if I didn't watch every person that had a show) that's now something I'm 'missing'. I know this is psychological and the site changes every now and then but I really feel that I lost out on a lot of content that I paid for. I still watch most of the painting videos, but another thing is if I feel that I've progressed in my painting efforts to the point where I don't think their videos aren't helpful any more, then I probably won't continue the subscription - but I don't think that will be the case, I think there's always something new to learn. I guess the crossover point is that if I start to learn more stuff from Youtube videos rather than the MWG videos, I'll know it's time to cancel my sub. As for the batreps, I go in phases of watching a bunch then not watching any, so it's not that big a deal for me. Those are a 50/50 for most people who talk about MWG and not in the remit of this thread anyway - it's either a bonus if you watch them or a zero if you don't.

Because the site is always in flux, signing up can be a hard decision to make - I DEFINITELY think it's worth it to sign up for the $1 week trial when (and this is important) you have time to watch the videos and take it all in (e.g., don't join up during a week you're really busy at home) and if you don't like the extra stuff you have access to, make sure to cancel. You can choose to sign up for the monthly option if some feature that you really like disappears, but signing up for the year gives you a bit of a discount. And if you shop at I think the War Store, Wayland Games and another Canadian retailer online you can get 10% or so taken off your bill if you go for the gold membership, so that can be worth it for sure.

Hope this wall of text helps :)

Avenger_Mullah
Dec 28, 2008
Krushgroove, are you sure they still offer that discount to other stores? I can't find a single thing about that on their website. Gold members get a discount for the MWG store, but I don't think you get the discount for other stores anymore.

Cheers for the review btw, I've considering signing up for their service for quite a while. The DVDs you get access to, what format are they in?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Glad to provide the info! :) They haven't updated their Vault sign-up page (it still says 'discount in our online store) but there was a video announcement a while back about where you do get the discounts. I know for the UK it's definitely Wayland Games (another Oath Thread sponsor!) and I'm pretty sure in the US it's The War Store.

If you're a Vault member, you can watch the videos via Vimeo with the links on their front page, or go to the Vault section at the top and stream the full DVDs, or just download the files (the latest ones are in MP4 format but the earliest ones vary in file formats).

Avenger_Mullah
Dec 28, 2008
Thanks for the info and confirmation. Guess I'll be signing up before my next order from Wayland :-)

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I can't find anything on the Wayland Games site with the discount, and they don't carry Dark Potential (MWG's sci-fi game) but here's the announcement from MWG back in May: http://www.miniwargaming.com/content/mwg-fundraiser-update-wayland-games-partnership-new-tshirts

It would be worth calling or contacting Wayland to make sure the discount is still in place.

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008
I'm not usually a Blood Angels fan, but these are gorgeous. Getting up to the orange highlights adds a lot of interest to an otherwise pretty monochrome scheme. Really nice work!

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

krushgroove posted:

Glad to provide the info! :) They haven't updated their Vault sign-up page (it still says 'discount in our online store) but there was a video announcement a while back about where you do get the discounts. I know for the UK it's definitely Wayland Games (another Oath Thread sponsor!) and I'm pretty sure in the US it's The War Store.

That was an awesome wall of text on the service, cheers. I think I'll definitely try the 1 week for $1 next week when I have some time free and go through. Shame it doesn't have more on airbrushing but I'm sure there'll still be a lot that's worth viewing from what you've said. Likewise if it had an extra 10% at Wayland then it'd be worth it (generally they're not the cheapest around).

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.

Arlaharen posted:

I do a lot of conversions and add detail on already existing models so I'm comfortable with various putties and sculpting tools. I don't really know where to start with basic anatomy though, do you know of any good starter tutorials?

This is the best GS one that I've read:

http://www.reapermini.com/forum/index.php?/topic/49288-my-first-sculpt/?p=717237
The PDF he links to. It's focused on the face but the techniques for manipulating the putty are first rate.

As for anatomy I recommend printing out a to-scale reference that you can measure against and then constantly comparing your work to the print out. It's what I do. Otherwise print out references to particular items you want to sculpt. Another cool trick is to pose yourself in the position you want the sculpt to be and either take photos or make a sketch. You can play dress up to to help improve your reference!

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Hellbeard posted:

Another cool trick is to pose yourself in the position you want the sculpt to be and either take photos or make a sketch. You can play dress up to to help improve your reference!
Best excuse ever for getting caught doing naked selfies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)

LingcodKilla posted:

Best excuse ever for getting caught doing naked selfies.

I know you've got on your vest while taking these, too. :*

• Locked thread