Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Phone posted:

I know it comes off extremely Maherish, but if it really warrants a response (it doesn't) I would just say, "yeah, there's a reason why it's called flyover country," and leave it at that.

As opposed to completely non-racist cities of L.A. and NYC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Like I said, I don't really like it or agree with it, but there are areas in the country that are quite terrible. Lincoln, Nebraska specifically doesn't apply since they've held the National Autocross Championship there since it's the geographic center of the country. :911:

E: racism is over dude; the president is (half) black

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
Personally, I prefer Des Moines, but I think the mid-west in general gets pretty short shrift.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Seoinin posted:

No argument it's mega gross, but what really can the president say to that.

Of course nothing, they're desperate for evidence that he's personally annoyed by it. As if the Secret Service didn't brief him on actual threats to him and his family instead of just buffoonish racist pantomime.

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008
There's like literally no reason to visit any city in the Midwest unless you happen to live near it. I say this as a resident of the Midwest who has also lived on the East coast. There is nothing in Midwestern cities that you can't find elsewhere. That's what flyover country means. It's not that you fly over because it sucks, it's that you fly over because there's no compelling reason to stop.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

Beerdeer posted:

Hi, I live in Lincoln, Nebraska, and hate that expression. Omaha and Lincoln aren't as liberal as they could be, but they're not backwater, BFE.

Yeah being a dismissive condescending douche to the middle of the country is probably not what the president should do in response.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Most of the coasts suck too.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjqL2iEbPvs

(The "angel priest" was really just a priest who identified himself to a state trooper.)

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Gozinbulx posted:

Most of the coasts suck too.

Most of them? How many are there?

This is a poo poo derail and I'm sorry for adding to it, but the south deserves almost all of the poo poo it gets and I get tired of reading people bending over backwards, trying to be polite and excusing what is largely their general rear end backwards approach to pretty much everything; from science, religion, race, homosexuality, music, art, education. This is coming from someone originally from Philadelphia who has lived in the south for half of his life, so I'm not pulling this out of my rear end.

Not cursing or saying "gently caress" a lot, going to church every Sunday, baking newcomers a pie when they move and then speaking behind their back once they don't fit in is not "polite". In my experience, some of them are polite on the surface but will turn on you with the quickness if they find out you're atheist, gay, Democrat and what have you. "Southern Hospitality" is bullshit and I'm tired of people excusing large swaths of the country with giant billboards asking about birth certificates and Sharia Law.

Might make a good thread, (ASK/TELL Me About The South) but it'd probably get gassed pretty quick

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

BiggerBoat posted:

Most of them? How many are there?

Two, but not all of the coast is Seattle, San Francisco, and LA? South Carolina is part of the coast too.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Modern Day Hercules posted:

There's like literally no reason to visit any city in the Midwest unless you happen to live near it. I say this as a resident of the Midwest who has also lived on the East coast. There is nothing in Midwestern cities that you can't find elsewhere. That's what flyover country means. It's not that you fly over because it sucks, it's that you fly over because there's no compelling reason to stop.

Nothing is taking it a bit too far, Chicago and Minneapolis aren't exactly worthless cities not worth visiting. I doubt I could find, for example, a better deep dish pizza than available in Chicago somewhere on the coasts.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

MaxxBot posted:

Nothing is taking it a bit too far, Chicago and Minneapolis aren't exactly worthless cities not worth visiting. I doubt I could find, for example, a better deep dish pizza than available in Chicago somewhere on the coasts.

That's if you can get it before the :ohdear: feral urban youths :ohdear: get to you.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

This has me curious. Is the Gulf Coast seen as a part of the East Coast or its own coast, thus the US having 3 coasts?

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

MaxxBot posted:

You can find our Lord and Savior Lowtax in a near-suburb of Kansas City. That's pretty unique

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Orange Devil posted:

This has me curious. Is the Gulf Coast seen as a part of the East Coast or its own coast, thus the US having 3 coasts?

It's considered entirely separate from the east coast, with the dividing line being Key West.

vvv Until a well blows out vvv

Gynocentric Regime fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Aug 14, 2013

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Orange Devil posted:

It's generally considered a third coast that nobody bothers to thing about.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I remember, back in high school when I took a sociology class, the teacher told us all to close our eyes and not attempt to look at each other after explaining social class and wealth and so forth. She asked everybody that was lower class to raise their hands, then middle, then upper. She counted the hands and later told us that EVERYBODY thought they were middle class. Even people that were very very obviously lower or upper. I was very lower class and sitting right next to a girl that was the child of parents that made like $250,000 a year. We both thought we were middle class.

Because the whole 'middle class' is a ~100 year old PR trick to save the US from Class War. I guess no one told Rick Santorum or Herman Cain this. Go ahead and destroy that illusion, guys.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

This is when Santorum and Cain reveal what we should have suspected all along: they're subversive/accelerationist progressives.

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008

MaxxBot posted:

A. You could, but even if you couldn't pizza is so goddamn irrelevant the point stands. Everywhere has food, you'd never visit a city just to eat the food unless you already lived near that city.
B. However, Chicago is maybe one of the few shining jewels in the midwest that is actually worth visiting. Minneapolis is not. Definitely not. St. Louis was at one point, but not any more. Chicago may be the only one actually.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Kansas City is pretty awesome. They have google fiber and everything.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

A. You could, but even if you couldn't pizza is so goddamn irrelevant the point stands. Everywhere has food, you'd never visit a city just to eat the food unless you already lived near that city.
B. However, Chicago is maybe one of the few shining jewels in the midwest that is actually worth visiting. Minneapolis is not. Definitely not. St. Louis was at one point, but not any more. Chicago may be the only one actually.

This may come as a shock to you but people have vastly different ideas of what is or isn't relevant or what makes a city worth visiting. I'm sure many of the things you assume make certain costal cities a must-visit spot would be considered irrelevant to others like food apparently is to you. I doubt that outside of say LA or NYC or something you're going to find any strong consensus on what big cities are or aren't worth visiting, unless it's just a complete wasteland like Detroit.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

MaxxBot posted:

This may come as a shock to you but people have vastly different ideas of what is or isn't relevant or what makes a city worth visiting. I'm sure many of the things you assume make certain costal cities a must-visit spot would be considered irrelevant to others like food apparently is to you. I doubt that outside of say LA or NYC or something you're going to find any strong consensus on what big cities are or aren't worth visiting, unless it's just a complete wasteland like Detroit.

:(

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

Beerdeer posted:

Hi, I live in Lincoln, Nebraska, and hate that expression. Omaha and Lincoln aren't as liberal as they could be, but they're not backwater, BFE.

The real damage is that when people with cultural power choose to disregard what happens in 80% of the country, what ends up happening there turns out to be pretty loving disagreeable to those people who were too cool to get involved in indigenous affairs. And the only retort you need when someone from California says it is, hey remember when your enlightened citizenry voted en masse about giving marriage rights to all citizens, and YOU. SAID. NO. You sadistic fucks. I don't remember Nebraska having that vote.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Actually food tourism is becoming a bigger deal

quote:

Bullshit, and I say this as someone from California (who now lives in the wastelands of SoCal, but at least it isn't "flyover county!"). Actually both Minneapolis (which is, as far as I can tell, getting better every day) and St. Louis are interesting cities with lots of interesting stuff to see and do.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

agarjogger posted:

The real damage is that when people with cultural power choose to disregard what happens in 80% of the country, what ends up happening there turns out to be pretty loving disagreeable to those people who were too cool to get involved in indigenous affairs. And the only retort you need when someone from California says it is, hey remember when your enlightened citizenry voted en masse about giving marriage rights to all citizens, and YOU. SAID. NO. You sadistic fucks. I don't remember Nebraska having that vote.

Took California several years to be as progressive as Iowa in that regard.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

As a resident of LA, Hell's Kitchen in Minneapolis has the by far and away the best breakfast I've had, better than in New York, San Francisco or LA. I make it a point to swing by whenever I get an excuse. And that doesn't even touch on the German food you can find or things like State and National Parks that offer environments you can't find on either coast. Road trips through the Midwest and the South are a hell of a lot of fun and doing one will put the lie to 'flyover country'.

BiggerBoat posted:

This is a poo poo derail and I'm sorry for adding to it, but the south deserves almost all of the poo poo it gets and I get tired of reading people bending over backwards, trying to be polite and excusing what is largely their general rear end backwards approach to pretty much everything; from science, religion, race, homosexuality, music, art, education. This is coming from someone originally from Philadelphia who has lived in the south for half of his life, so I'm not pulling this out of my rear end.

Yeah, but Orange County is on a coast and it has as many lovely opinions as you'll find in the South without the redeeming good food and hospitality. I really like living in LA and California, but people who try to act like the coasts are some kind of bastions of liberty and sanity are just being willfully oblivious to the horrible poo poo going on around them. Hell, they're more likely then not a part of it, the big coastal cities tend to have really stark income inequality.

I mean when rightwing talk show hosts use 'elitist' and 'ivory tower' in their rhetoric they're being dishonest shitheads, but that shouldn't blind us to the fact that the 1% actually loving over the country lives on the coasts, not in the Midwest or the South.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Orange Devil posted:

When people talk about the East/West divide the gulf is never treated as an exception, at least not in my experience. In terms of culture it's just another region of the south eastern US.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
In Houston, it's sometimes called the "Third Coast" and you will find businesses named "Third Coast" this and that. I don't think anyone else outside of this area knows, which suits Houston fine, really. The less that people ask questions, the better, heh. Just send your money and workers and corporate headquarters and go back to ignoring it.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

ReindeerF posted:

In Houston, it's sometimes called the "Third Coast" and you will find businesses named "Third Coast" this and that.

They do this in the Great Lakes too.

Also, I've never understood how anyone could see this whole "flyover states" appellation as anything other than classism and petty regionalism.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

Not cursing or saying "gently caress" a lot, going to church every Sunday, baking newcomers a pie when they move and then speaking behind their back once they don't fit in is not "polite". In my experience, some of them are polite on the surface but will turn on you with the quickness if they find out you're atheist, gay, Democrat and what have you. "Southern Hospitality" is bullshit and I'm tired of people excusing large swaths of the country with giant billboards asking about birth certificates and Sharia Law.

Might make a good thread, (ASK/TELL Me About The South) but it'd probably get gassed pretty quick
Don't you see that we need a hated other to blame our nation's problems on? Go on: how are we going to punish them? :godwin: Hating on "the flyover country" is the Democrat version of "Mexicans took our jobs" and "criminal blacks."

I'm tired of excusing the north for having neither it's own poverty law center, nor a Christian leadership conference. Also, you guys in New England are poo poo at producing civil rights leaders, and say "gently caress" way too much. It's a crutch, it doesn't make you sound very intelligent.

Babylon Astronaut fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Aug 15, 2013

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
But you see, this gigantic group of people can be marginalized and ignored because

Mitchicon
Nov 3, 2006

Small Appalachian town votes in openly gay mayor and the town council overwhelmingly supports a Gay-Rights Ordinance:

http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/428601/august-14-2013/people-who-are-destroying-america---johnny-cummings

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Basically any time someone makes a remotely disparaging remark about a region or state, I fully expect someone to jump in within two posts and say "hey, I live there!" Multiple people comparing mild regionalism to fascism and racism is just an added D&D bonus.

I lived in lovely places most of my life and loved them dearly, but I can get why others might have a bad opinion of them. Y'all don't need to swoop to the rescue of Terra Haute or whatever anytime someone says "flyover country."

Walter
Jul 3, 2003

We think they're great. In a grand, mystical, neopolitical sense, these guys have a real message in their music. They don't, however, have neat names like me and Bono.
Can we please get off the "such and such region sucks" train? It's stupid, childish, and bitchy.

Literally every place has racists and assholes, and every place has nice people to counter the assholes. I've lived all over the South, I've visited most of the rest of the country, and I've been out of the US. There's something good about every place, and there're lovely things about those places, too.

All this "flyover country" and "the South is full of rednecks and racists" nonsense just sounds childish, and it's something I would expect from Redditors, not from the comparatively thoughtful and intelligent posters in D&D.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Emron posted:

Basically any time someone makes a remotely disparaging remark about a region or state, I fully expect someone to jump in within two posts and say "hey, I live there!" Multiple people comparing mild regionalism to fascism and racism is just an added D&D bonus.

I lived in lovely places most of my life and loved them dearly, but I can get why others might have a bad opinion of them. Y'all don't need to swoop to the rescue of Terra Haute or whatever anytime someone says "flyover country."

It's just small minded and ignorant, people like to talk about how North Carolina is awful and gently caress everyone in it for it's new policies but our Republican Congress/Senate did not get a majority of the votes in the the state so a majority of the state does not support what they are doing and should not be rolled into some huge insult it doesn't help anyone and diminishes the real problems.

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!
So this isn't right-wing media per se, but I thought it would be an interesting thought experiment to compare this advice on how to be a sociopath with advice on how to be a good conservative American:

http://www.economist.com/blogs/prospero/2013/08/self-help

quote:

Rule #1: Disregard unspoken rules

After being hired at an elite law firm, Ms Thomas exploited her company's "non-existent" vacation policy by taking long weekends and lengthy vacations abroad. "People were implicitly expected not to take vacations, but I had my own lifelong policy of following only explicit rules, and then only because they're easiest to prove against me," she explains.

How to apply to your own life: Ignore "suggested donation" pleas at museums, always help yourself to more food and drinks at dinner parties and recline your seat all the way back when flying.

Rule #2: Assess costs and benefits

Sociopaths, says Ms Thomas, “are incredibly sensitive to incentive structures and actively consider both actual costs and opportunity costs in their decision-making” (unlike the rest of us, to the disappointment of most economists). "I have always lived in the worst neighborhoods," Ms Thomas writes. "Rent is cheap and I figure there's no need for me to pay a safety premium if I have health insurance."

How to apply to your own life: Make spending decisions shrewdly, leveraging each discretionary dollar for its maximum happiness return.

I'm also tempted to cross-pollinate with the "Crazy Relative's Emails" thread and see if there's a way to pass this advice around and see how many relatives bite on it.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

socialsecurity posted:

It's just small minded and ignorant, people like to talk about how North Carolina is awful and gently caress everyone in it for it's new policies but our Republican Congress/Senate did not get a majority of the votes in the the state so a majority of the state does not support what they are doing and should not be rolled into some huge insult it doesn't help anyone and diminishes the real problems.

I get that. I lived in Alabama for eight years, and West Virginia before that. All I'm saying is that I don't think someone saying "flyover country" actually thinks there is no hope or worth to the Midwest.

I might be optimistic but I also think that your average D&D poster can differentiate between the actions of a legislature and the wishes of its constituents. Like in your example, I'm pissed as hell at McCrory et al, but I don't hate North Carolinians or whatever.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
^^^ please refer to him as governor McCheese, thanks

I'm sorry for causing the derail, but I tried my hardest to diffuse it by prefacing the comment with "this is Maherish". Next time I know to post:

:siren: HEY THIS IS SOME DUMB BULLSHIT THAT BILL MAHER WOULD SAY; PLEASE TAKE IT WITH A GRAIN OF SALT BECAUSE I DON'T WANT TO PERSONALLY OFFEND YOU :siren:

I live in NC, and it's great outside of the loving politicians.

Phone fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Aug 15, 2013

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor
I think it's a good idea to divide "Great Lakes" from "Midwest" anyway. I am from Chicago and went to school in Champaign. Chicago is Great Lakes, Champaign is more Midwest. So are Peoria, Quad Cities, St. Louis, Des Moines etc. I'd put the Twin Cities as more Great Lakes than Midwest but I really don't know that much about them. Cleveland is Great Lakes, Cincinatti is not, IMO.

The Great Lakes area was the largest industrial zone in the world in the 19th Century, that has certainly influenced the culture. But Grand Rapids/Holland/K-zoo in SW Michigan don't really resemble the rest of the Great Lakes, so it's not a perfect term.

Huge derail and I'll stop now, but I'd love to do a thread about regional cultures in the US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

clockwork sundial posted:

So this isn't right-wing media per se, but I thought it would be an interesting thought experiment to compare this advice on how to be a sociopath with advice on how to be a good conservative American:

http://www.economist.com/blogs/prospero/2013/08/self-help

I'm also tempted to cross-pollinate with the "Crazy Relative's Emails" thread and see if there's a way to pass this advice around and see how many relatives bite on it.

So The Economist is now doubling as How to be an Authoritarian? Lemme tell you about holding my hand 2" from my sister's face while chanting "I'm not touching you" is following the rules.