Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
msj817
Apr 1, 2003

Please help me help you forget about Jozy.
Everyone needs to relax before I issue a Yellow Tail Yellow Card of the thread(TM).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

msj817 posted:

Everyone needs to relax before I issue a Yellow Tail Yellow Card of the thread(TM).

Is that a my little pony thing? Could you show me a tifo of it to explain?

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

Why is it seen as negative that some of would like to engage in international football discussion with what is, no offence, a somewhat insular thread.

msj817
Apr 1, 2003

Jota posted:

Is that a my little pony thing? Could you show me a tifo of it to explain?

Hi Jota, thanks for engaging in a bit of banter! It is a corporate sponsor of a few games across the US. Part of this wine companies comedy bit is to have yellow cards announced as the Yellow Tail Yellow Card. I do not believe it is linked to large flags or childrens cartoons, but maybe you could research it a bit further to find the ties.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

CubanMissile posted:

Is Pissflaps still here to tell me what to call things and how to value friendlies? I need to get out of this insular thread and learn how to be a proper world football fan but I'm not sure how. So far I think it just boils down to saying "Jozy is poo poo" alot and making USTMNT jokes, but I need help with the finer points, tia.

Jozy are poo poo. It's Jozy our poo poo.

Jozy hour poo poo

Anyway, great match, from my vantage point on the ESPN live chat! Can't stream it at work. Ahhhh well. I don't think I yelled TOO loud when Altidore scored that free kick.

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم
Let's all just leave it yeah, please, thanks

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
e: Oh no! I posted this before I saw Finn's post

msj817 posted:

Hi Jota, thanks for engaging in a bit of banter! It is a corporate sponsor of a few games across the US. Part of this wine companies comedy bit is to have yellow cards announced as the Yellow Tail Yellow Card. I do not believe it is linked to large flags or childrens cartoons, but maybe you could research it a bit further to find the ties.

Makes sense that a wine would be involved with our beautiful sport considering how whiny a lot of my fellow Americans are! Just a little joke for ya there I hope you enjoyed it.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

CubanMissile posted:

And you need to realize that kissing Pissflap's rear end doesn't make you Pissflaps.

There is no need for baseless accusations and personal attacks. I feel the forums would be enriched if everyone would participate in areas where we could all learn from each other.

I'm not Pissflaps, don't want to be Pissflaps, and have a posting style I would say is diametrically opposed to his. But I also have come to understand that the man has a very deep understanding of the game, as well as countless other posters that you would never encounter while staying within the confines on this insular thread.

I've played, observed, and studied this game for over 35 years and I find it refreshing to learn nuanced subtleties from others that have done the same thing from different parts of the world.

The American soccer experience is unique; this is a good and bad thing. I think we could all learn from each other and would love to see more interaction between those that post exclusively in this thread with those that eschew it.

The choice is ultimately yours, but to ignore an opportunity to learn something is a chance I don't think anyone should pass up.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)
Sorry Finn, just saw your post. Ill drop it.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
So, uh, what'd everyone think of that Kevin Bacon-looking kid? Think he goes to San Jose in three weeks?

(Note: Herc's knee is messed up; he probably won't see club action until October)

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Real Name Grover posted:

So, uh, what'd everyone think of that Kevin Bacon-looking kid? Think he goes to San Jose in three weeks?

(Note: Herc's knee is messed up; he probably won't see club action until October)

I thought he looked great. I'd say he plays with a lot more flair than our usual crop. Created a couple chances for himself out of nothing and played a great through ball to Jozy.

msj817
Apr 1, 2003

Real Name Grover posted:

Gives me more to be excited now about GolTV carrying Eredivisie. He had some really good runs off the ball and some creativity on it, I definitely want to see him get a little more than 30 minutes in another game.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Real Name Grover posted:

I think he owns

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Real Name Grover posted:

Portland would get first crack! Kidding, San Jose would just buy him as a DP

VVV Good point. I'll leave my joke anyways.

El Jebus fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Aug 15, 2013

msj817
Apr 1, 2003

El Jebus posted:

Portland would get first crack! Kidding, San Jose would just buy him as a DP

I think he means San Jose, Costa Rica. Our next WC qualification game is there September 6th.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

vaginal culture posted:

I think he owns

I'm just glad he'll probably keep Wondo off the squad.

JibbaJabbaJimmy
May 21, 2001

Real Name Grover posted:

My thoughts during the game: "Holy poo poo! He looks really good!"

I usually don't have thoughts like that while watching USMNT soccer.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

CubanMissile posted:

I'm just glad he'll probably keep Wondo off the squad.

I want to see Terrence Boyd he seems like he kicks real rear end.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Hoover Dam posted:

I like it when the large bald man catches the ball

I like it when he makes a world-class reaction block back into the path of the striker who finishes with glee. Then he melts down and stomps in his big-boy boots and gloves.

fake edit: Is pissflaps dead? hahahaha, sorry.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Mr. Mambold posted:

I like it when he makes a world-class reaction block back into the path of the striker who finishes with glee. Then he melts down and stomps in his big-boy boots and gloves.

fake edit: Is pissflaps dead? hahahaha, sorry.

Yeah actually Howard kind of sucks and I hope Guzan takes over

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?
Yeah, think it's kind of weird that GK is the one position Klinsmann doesn't want to experiment with.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
...because he has two really good goalkeepers and confidence in both?

What the hell is there to experiment with? Has there been one game in the past, hell, four years anyone can legitimately argue would've turned out differently (in our favor) had Guzan or somebody else been in goal?

I'm not putting down Guzan and Co. and I realize that Howard has long since peaked, but he's done absolutely nothing to warrant taking the job away from him.

Teron D Amun
Oct 9, 2010

Suqit posted:

There is no need for baseless accusations and personal attacks. I feel the forums would be enriched if everyone would participate in areas where we could all learn from each other.

I'm not Pissflaps, don't want to be Pissflaps, and have a posting style I would say is diametrically opposed to his. But I also have come to understand that the man has a very deep understanding of the game, as well as countless other posters that you would never encounter while staying within the confines on this insular thread.

I've played, observed, and studied this game for over 35 years and I find it refreshing to learn nuanced subtleties from others that have done the same thing from different parts of the world.

The American soccer experience is unique; this is a good and bad thing. I think we could all learn from each other and would love to see more interaction between those that post exclusively in this thread with those that eschew it.

The choice is ultimately yours, but to ignore an opportunity to learn something is a chance I don't think anyone should pass up.

Let me share some unique US soccer experience with you, in this very thread, because you are missing the subtlety. Instead of following the ball, follow the off ball movement. Look for triangles to appear, dissolve and then reappear right before your eyes. Watch as player's heads swivel to find the man making the run for the second pass, not the first. Watch the tight control and decision making. Don't appreciate the pass that was made, appreciate the pass that wasn't because it was more difficult and less likely to be successful.

Watch the instant pressure applied once the ball is lost. Appreciate the monumental patience and discipline required to maintain possession without making foolish passes for long stretches. Realize that they are making things that are incredibly difficult to do both physically and tactically look so easy that it becomes boring.

Or you can just say lol US friendlies are boring and hate them.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)

Teron D Amun posted:

Let me share some unique US soccer experience with you, in this very thread, because you are missing the subtlety. Instead of following the ball, follow the off ball movement. Look for triangles to appear, dissolve and then reappear right before your eyes. Watch as player's heads swivel to find the man making the run for the second pass, not the first. Watch the tight control and decision making. Don't appreciate the pass that was made, appreciate the pass that wasn't because it was more difficult and less likely to be successful.

Watch the instant pressure applied once the ball is lost. Appreciate the monumental patience and discipline required to maintain possession without making foolish passes for long stretches. Realize that they are making things that are incredibly difficult to do both physically and tactically look so easy that it becomes boring.

Or you can just say lol US friendlies are boring and hate them.

Agreed.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Real Name Grover posted:

...because he has two really good goalkeepers and confidence in both?

What the hell is there to experiment with? Has there been one game in the past, hell, four years anyone can legitimately argue would've turned out differently (in our favor) had Guzan or somebody else been in goal?

I'm not putting down Guzan and Co. and I realize that Howard has long since peaked, but he's done absolutely nothing to warrant taking the job away from him.

Yes, against Ghana. Howard is way too aggressive and got beat by a ball Friedel would have held back on. Friedel is legitimately still better than Howard imo even if he needs a wheelchair to get on the pitch.

Anukis
Jan 23, 2006

I'm an empathetic, sensitive, educated, intellectually curious non-idiot. Hi.
I was finally able to watch it, unspoiled. That was pretty cool and I yelled holy poo poo way more than I usually do during friendlies. This thread is the best except for when people post in it.

I love all of you soccer fans, especially the super cool ones from real footballing nations who endeavor to teach us the ways of this mysterious game that none of us have been exposed to until a week ago.

*hugs*

Anukis fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Aug 16, 2013

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

Mr. Mambold posted:

Yes, against Ghana. Howard is way too aggressive and got beat by a ball Friedel would have held back on. Friedel is legitimately still better than Howard imo even if he needs a wheelchair to get on the pitch.

Howard is a very aggressive keeper. poo poo like that is going to happen. He also makes crazy athletic saves that Friedel would never, ever get to.

Reek
Nov 3, 2002

every.fucking.year.

Mr. Mambold posted:

Friedel finally started to show his age for Spurs last season, Guzan is the solid #2 at this point and I think you can make the same argument for him. When the defense is making GBS threads it up Howard starts trying to do everything and you end up with https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Roc2lf6Zek

e: You could make the argument, but I'd still take Howard just wanted to clear that up.

Reek fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Aug 16, 2013

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Reek posted:

Friedel finally started to show his age for Spurs last season, Guzan is the solid #2 at this point and I think you can make the same argument for him. When the defense is making GBS threads it up Howard starts trying to do everything and you end up with https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Roc2lf6Zek

e: You could make the argument, but I'd still take Howard just wanted to clear that up.

i'd rather we lose every game ever than howard stop doing poo poo like that

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Some retard at Deadspin wrote a shitass terrible article about this friendly match. The title is "After Getting loving Bossed, USMNT Stages Inexplicable, Epic Comeback" and it only gets worse from there.

A god drat friendly.

http://deadspin.com/after-getting-loving-bossed-usmnt-stages-inexplicable-1141089944

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Reek posted:

lol yeah Howard's maybe the most unironically entertaining keeper since the Colombian Rene 'el Loco' Higuita https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkYmmV7Oa-U and Jorge Campos, both from 20 years ago... Oh hell, there was also the Swede, Thomas Ravelli? , he was a riot too.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse

vaginal culture posted:

Some retard at Deadspin wrote a shitass terrible article about this friendly match. The title is "After Getting loving Bossed, USMNT Stages Inexplicable, Epic Comeback" and it only gets worse from there.

A god drat friendly.

http://deadspin.com/after-getting-loving-bossed-usmnt-stages-inexplicable-1141089944

I think Deadspin has been trying to overhype soccer for a while to try to get more people interested in the run up to Brazil.

Not that you can't hype up the USMNT in a way that isn't crap.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
gently caress the haters, Jozy's free kick was a thing of beauty. I didn't even know he took free kicks.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

gently caress the haters, Jozy's free kick was a thing of beauty. I didn't even know he took free kicks.

Neither did Taylor Twellman. He scored off at least one for AZ last season

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

vaginal culture posted:

A god drat friendly.

i 100% thought you made up the title, holy poo poo

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Real Name Grover posted:

Neither did Taylor Twellman. He scored off at least one for AZ last season

I wonder if there's data on how many he's taken for us. I can't recall any, but that doesn't mean poo poo.

Reek
Nov 3, 2002

every.fucking.year.
He scored a couple for AZ, including this one which is pretty much the exact same goal: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zA7dm66qrI4

a top top lad
Feb 28, 2003

Triffic really. Proper player.

vaginal culture posted:

A god drat friendly.

Figured it was Greg Howard before I clicked the link. All of his stuff is awful.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I wonder if there's data on how many he's taken for us. I can't recall any, but that doesn't mean poo poo.

I can't either but can say with a good amount of confidence that this was the first he scored off one.

I can't recall a spot kick taken in recent years by a member of the "A" team other than Landon, Bradley, Dempsey, Herc, Torres or Zusi. I think Jones took one once, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

a top top lad posted:

Figured it was Greg Howard before I clicked the link. All of his stuff is awful.

it seems like a full 1/3rd of his articles are a single .gif or a brief video of a goal with no context or explanation.

let me know if this counts as off-topic but what's with the American Outlaws? I've recently met a few and they seem farther up their own rear end than the Timbers Army (which I didn't think was possible)

• Locked thread