Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magic Mango
Aug 31, 2006

Only fools are enslaved by time and space.

Lurdiak posted:

It's been a thing for some time, it just remains to be soon how good of a thing it is.

I hope it's good just so Itoi can get his wish and enjoy Mother 4 as a player, not a developer. :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
So Moonside wasn't as horrible as I remembered it, nor the Department Store.

The mole jokes were even funnier as an adult.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
With the help of Psi Tech I plowed through the Titanic Ant and got my first sound at the giant's step! :toot: Beat the Cops soon after.

Yay! On to Twoson... uh, crap. How do I get rid of this mushroom thing? Its not a cold, and heal doesn't work on it.

Catts
Nov 3, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

With the help of Psi Tech I plowed through the Titanic Ant and got my first sound at the giant's step! :toot: Beat the Cops soon after.

Yay! On to Twoson... uh, crap. How do I get rid of this mushroom thing? Its not a cold, and heal doesn't work on it.

Go to the healer inside the hospital. He's got a bluish sprite with a mustache and bald head. I think the mushroom falls under "feeling funny" when asked, and he'll actually pay you $50 for each mushroom.

E: also I just remembered if you go through the cave east of Twoson into Peaceful Rest Valley, there's a girl who will buy mushrooms from you as well.

Catts fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Aug 15, 2013

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

ETB posted:

So Moonside wasn't as horrible as I remembered it, nor the Department Store.

The mole jokes were even funnier as an adult.
If you see the Department Store coming, it's not bad at all, you can just Bottle Rocket!

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

If you see the Department Store coming, it's not bad at all, you can just Bottle Rocket!

No bottle rocket run. :ssh:

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

So i'm nearing the end of the game, and after being ever so slightly over leveled for the majority of the game, I was not ready for the return to Onett.

After spending so long being able to mash A with little repercussion or damage, or being able to take bosses down with a couple of turns of PSI attacks and bottle rockets, getting smacked around for the majority of the parties health on the first turn every time I don't enter a battle with the advantage is quite the change.

Also the 1/128 items are such a pain in the arse. I had to put the brakes on any progress for a good hour or two to get the Sword of Kings, and now after spending long enough grinding Uncontrollable Sphere's for Jeff's strongest weapon to get my party from the mid 60's through to the late 80's/early 90's I still don't have the drat thing.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Crawfish posted:

Also the 1/128 items are such a pain in the arse. I had to put the brakes on any progress for a good hour or two to get the Sword of Kings,

I've been trying to get this piece of poo poo sword for a week now.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

ETB posted:

No bottle rocket run. :ssh:
...and the Department Store isn't still awful? Letting anything have a turn hurt me so badly that I was on the back foot for the rest of the fight. I mean, I eventually succeeded in dodging enough to get there, but jeez. Even with a Teddy!

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Leofish posted:

My benchmark was when Ness gets to 120 HP. That's when I'd move on. He'll get a big boost around level 11 or 12, I think.

Because of the way the stats levels up, he won't necessarily get that big boost.

Stat gain = ((growth rate * old level) - ((old stat - 2) * 10)) * r/50

"r" is determined the following way:
- If the stat is vitality or IQ, and the new level is 10 or lower, r = 5.
- Otherwise, if the new level is divisible by 4,
r is a random number from 7 to 10.
- Otherwise, r is a random number from 3 to 6.

So at level 12 he has a 1/4 chance of getting a high vitality stat boost. Because of the way HP/PP growth is calculated its better to gain 10 vit in one level than to gain 5 vit per level for 2 levels.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Spiffo posted:

Like everyone said, use PSI Rockin'* to nail everybody until all the little ants are dead. There's a chance for it to miss sometimes, but it usually hits and it should only take one shot.

*Rockin' = {favorite thing}, of course -- edit: in your case "tech"
The canon PSI is PSI Murder, and I will hear no assertions otherwise. :colbert:

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V

Powercrazy posted:

Because of the way the stats levels up, he won't necessarily get that big boost.

So at level 12 he has a 1/4 chance of getting a high vitality stat boost. Because of the way HP/PP growth is calculated its better to gain 10 vit in one level than to gain 5 vit per level for 2 levels.

I consider RNG based stats to be one of the crimes of this game's development. It was a simpler time, with simpler ideals, ruled by men who were simpletons.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Coolguye posted:

The canon PSI is PSI Murder, and I will hear no assertions otherwise. :colbert:

Not even PSI DUCK? :psyduck:

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Powercrazy posted:

I never knew that. I mean, I knew there was a random element, but I thought they'd always even out at some point in the end. Anyway, I just recall 120 HP being a really nice, round number, that I'd often reach around the end of the first "Your Sanctuary" location. It happened on enough playthroughs that I started setting my watch to it, so to speak.

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
Ez a kis pók ügyes búvár.
Sok új kaland is még rá vár.

Lurdiak posted:

It's been a thing for some time, it just remains to be soon how good of a thing it is.

I remain optimistic.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Mr. Belding posted:

I consider RNG based stats to be one of the crimes of this game's development. It was a simpler time, with simpler ideals, ruled by men who were simpletons.

Yea I'm not sure how I feel about RNG level up stats. I like to min-max games like this once I've played them a few times, as an additional challenge. But of course this game has the rockcandy trick so that makes up for it imo. Lets me min-max to my hearts content and get ness to 200+ guts even without the impossible-to-get bat.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Powercrazy posted:

Yea I'm not sure how I feel about RNG level up stats. I like to min-max games like this once I've played them a few times, as an additional challenge. But of course this game has the rockcandy trick so that makes up for it imo. Lets me min-max to my hearts content and get ness to 200+ guts even without the impossible-to-get bat.

Honestly after seeing the Videogames Awesome guys start a playthrough I decided to do one myself. This time Ness has been getting some pretty mad offensive level ups (6 every other level or so) so that at level 9 he's one shotting the citizens of Twoson. With this in mind I would argue that RNG stats and abilities only add more replayability.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Arrrthritis posted:

Honestly after seeing the Videogames Awesome guys start a playthrough I decided to do one myself. This time Ness has been getting some pretty mad offensive level ups (6 every other level or so) so that at level 9 he's one shotting the citizens of Twoson. With this in mind I would argue that RNG stats and abilities only add more replayability.

That's crazy. Awesome. Randomly generated stats are usually a bad thing, but I haven't really noticed with this game. It isn't crazy difficult, and PSI abilities are your main offense (if you haven't realized bottle rockets, like me before this playthrough).

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
I've never had a problem with the RNG stat increases, mostly because of the unpredictability. It leaves you checking the stat menu whenever you come across a [stat] capsule to check who needs it, and to reflect how Paula ended up with 20 more stat points than Ness despite being ~10 levels lower. (Around the 60 mark.)

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
I've never managed to get the sword of kings in the ~10 times I've beaten EB over the last 15 years so I'm trying this time...

leveled up 48 times... :smithicide:

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Are you planning on keeping Ness dead/diamonized for the next few hours of the game? I used the save state feature to reset my levels back every time I got 5-10 levels above what I came in as for that sword.

In fact, outside of how terrible the run function seems to be in this game, why are you killing any of them anyways? Jeff's spy function doesn't just show stats and weaknesses, it shows what the enemies holding and sort of....takes it in the process.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
It just doesn't feel right doing it any other way. I think I might just save edit back to normal level/stats whenever I'm done (if I find it).

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

What other ways do you mean?

By save state whatevering, I mean I just chucked a save at the start of the room and loaded back to it after leveling too far. It's pretty much the same as a hard reset, but without the wasted time of the 10 minute walk back each time.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Crawfish posted:

Also the 1/128 items are such a pain in the arse. I had to put the brakes on any progress for a good hour or two to get the Sword of Kings, and now after spending long enough grinding Uncontrollable Sphere's for Jeff's strongest weapon to get my party from the mid 60's through to the late 80's/early 90's I still don't have the drat thing.
What I like to do in a completionist file is get the Sword of Kings when you're able to, then put off getting the other ultimate weapons and good equipment (Gaia Beam, Star Pendant, etc.) until the end of the game before you go to the Cave of the Past. And in any case, fighting Uncontrollable Spheres before you get the seventh Your Sanctuary spot is a bad idea, considering those things explode in your face once you beat them. If you wait later, you'll be able to get an instant victory if an enemy doesn't join.

Thwack!
Aug 14, 2010

Ability: Shadow Tag
I never bothered to consciously make an attempt at getting the Sword of Kings (even though I got insanely lucky at like my 2nd playthrough). After all, just as Poo makes it in my party he'll automatically be the primary healer instead of Ness. The three other kids are able to do a bunch of damage anyways so why do I need to bother with a 1/128 item?

Speaking of PSI, I've been considering doing a PSI/Jeff's Non-damaging inventions only challenge. Barring the few occasions where you don't have offensive PSI available, would this be possible?

Edit: You know what? I'm also gonna try to ban myself from using curative PSI too. I guess this would classify as "ballin' out of control", I suppose.

Edit2: Actually, I'm gonna add a vegetarian (without condiments) condition too.

Thwack! fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Aug 15, 2013

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Y-Hat posted:

What I like to do in a completionist file is get the Sword of Kings when you're able to, then put off getting the other ultimate weapons and good equipment (Gaia Beam, Star Pendant, etc.) until the end of the game before you go to the Cave of the Past. And in any case, fighting Uncontrollable Spheres before you get the seventh Your Sanctuary spot is a bad idea, considering those things explode in your face once you beat them. If you wait later, you'll be able to get an instant victory if an enemy doesn't join.
Yeah, that's what I have been doing, as I didn't realize Lumine Hall was Lumine Hall until after i'd claimed the sanctuary spot. That was three hours of automatic victory fights against the things with no drop.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
Said gently caress it to the 128 items and just beat the game, makes me tear up every time :unsmith:

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-AM-QsSpnQ

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

You still get stat bonuses if you finish magicant at level 99. What an I missing here.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner

Goodpancakes posted:

You still get stat bonuses if you finish magicant at level 99. What an I missing here.

I thought you didn't?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
This repro cart was posted in the Retro thread, and it's beautiful

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

robodex posted:

I thought you didn't?

IIRC you do, but because you're level 99 you don't get to take advantage of the huge HP and PP growth from the boosted Vitality and IQ.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Goodpancakes posted:

You get the stats. But certain stats like Vit and IQ only confer their bonuses on level up. Also Ness's stat growth improves significantly after magicant so it is "best" to get to magicant as early a level as possible.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

triplexpac posted:

This repro cart was posted in the Retro thread, and it's beautiful

I still want to know how the hell that floating planet icon works :psyduck:

Is there a magnet ring inside the cart around it? Does a strong magnet not effect anything in the cart? (I guess not, no magnetic storage...) Is it possible for the icon to fall out / be pushed out?

Super, super slick cart, but its a tad expensive for sure.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
I've never had to grind out more than an hour or so to get the 1/128 items on all of my playthroughs :smug: I never really tried for the Gutsy Bat, though, and I would have killed myself if I tried for 4 Star Pendants.

I've also gotten lesser 1/128 items like Pizzas from Skate Punks just playing normally.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

canoshiz posted:

I've never had to grind out more than an hour or so to get the 1/128 items on all of my playthroughs :smug: I never really tried for the Gutsy Bat, though, and I would have killed myself if I tried for 4 Star Pendants.

Earth Pendants are like half a star pendant, and they're right around the corner, so I usually just settle for a few of those. It does the same stuff, mostly as well.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

That's crazy. Awesome. Randomly generated stats are usually a bad thing, but I haven't really noticed with this game. It isn't crazy difficult, and PSI abilities are your main offense (if you haven't realized bottle rockets, like me before this playthrough).

The game seems to be balanced around the idea that you're going to get minimum statistics pretty much every time you level, so any time you see a Sweet or Oh baby you're seriously getting ahead of the game.

It's like the opposite of 7th Saga, where the game was balanced around you getting maximum stats every level. Also, you're supposed to have about 10 more levels than the game strictly lets you have.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I'm not convinced that the weak stat gains in the US version of 7th Saga aren't a terrible bug or something; it seems bizarre that in the era when Square associated North Americans with stupidity and Enix wasn't releasing Dragon Quest here at all, a team working on an RPG would decide that the problem with the North American version of their game is that it wasn't difficult enough.

And re: Mother 4, have they secured any kind of go-ahead from anybody in an official or semi-official capacity at Nintendo? Because I was under the impression that they're one of the most draconian companies about protecting their IP, and I'd hate to see somebody make a 70 hour Mother game with that quality of spritework and poo poo for nothing.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

As long as they make it clear that they're not profiting from the game, it should be fine.

The fan projects that get shut down tend to have some sort of profit element to them (for example, that 3D Chrono Trigger game from many years ago got shut down because they were planning to use it as a tech demo to show off the engine they made, and IIRC they were either gonna use it for their own games or license out the engine. One of the two. I forget which).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Zombies' Downfall posted:

And re: Mother 4, have they secured any kind of go-ahead from anybody in an official or semi-official capacity at Nintendo? Because I was under the impression that they're one of the most draconian companies about protecting their IP, and I'd hate to see somebody make a 70 hour Mother game with that quality of spritework and poo poo for nothing.

Well, as someone else in this thread said... what if they then just made it a 70 hour "not mother" game with that quality spritework?

They're hopefully not straight up putting Ness and stuff in there

• Locked thread