Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Spaceman Bill posted:

Yeah I doubt Michael Shannon would do it.

Also who cares about having a Grayson Robin skin when you can have a Grayson Batman skin?

Seeing as how Batman has how many skins it would be kind of stupid, since he just needs his classic Neal Adamns skin and be done with him. Besides, Dick Grayson needs more costumes and Robin is perfect for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

MrJacobs posted:

Seeing as how Batman has how many skins it would be kind of stupid, since he just needs his classic Neal Adamns skin and be done with him. Besides, Dick Grayson needs more costumes and Robin is perfect for it.

That you think the idea of Batman getting another skin and it being stupid would stop NRS from giving Batman another skin is kind of funny. It's almost a certainty that Batman will get another skin at this rate, him and Supes are going to have more skins than the entire roster combined.

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx

MrJacobs posted:

But it wouldn't be a Batman skin for Batman, it'd be a Batman skin for Nightwing. And it'd own/have hilarious clipping issues.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

I played some random player matches with Zatanna tonight. Just from those few dozen games, I really get the impression that people who want to be good with her are going to have to put in a lot of work. I was having real problems due to a few things about her design and it took me quite awhile to adjust.

First, her fast moves have poo poo range. Standing 1 is 5f high but poo poo range, and d1 is something like 7f mid but also has bad range. I was regularly whiffing d1s in front of people when I thought they'd connect.

Second, her mixup strings are waaaay slow on startup. Coming from Batgirl (something like 15f low and 16f overhead) and Catwoman (something like 16f overhead and 14f low) to Zatanna (20f overhead and 16f low I think?) was another tough adjustment.

Finally, some of her optimized combo stuff was tougher for me to hit than I had expected online. I dropped more b3 j3 223 than I would like to admit, for instance, and after my matches I decided to sacrifice damage and modify combos with that portion to be b3 dash j2 223 instead. I also found out that j3 22 is really strict timing to connect on crouching opponents, which kinda sucks because that can lead into big damage. That's just another adjustment I'll have to make, I guess.

Also, I tried doing reset mixups at the end of combos with f21 XX dd3~[f], and the opponent was able to back up enough to avoid the crossup, so my fear of dd3 just being too slow after the f21 string seems to have been correct. I'll probably just start ending combos in just f21 and then going for low/overhead/crossup/throw/whatever off that, as at least that seems to actually be +16 like the frame data claims.

Having said all that, I kinda don't know how I feel about using her anymore, but even with her shortcomings I could see her being quite viable in the competitive scene, just because she has some really strong and annoying stuff with things like MB teleport letting her punish quite a lot of whiffed stuff and db2~MB being a strong pressure tool.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
Yeah, I realized the same thing about Zatanna after using her for a couple of days. I had almost no way to get in, her jumping attacks whiff most of the time, along with her regular ones. You need to use all of her tools to be good with her, which means lots of teleports for one. But, doing down up for them is absolutely retarded for me (I use stick), so yeah, I'll stick with Batman/Flash in the end.

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars
I'm still waiting for my Deathstroke Slade Skin voiced by Ron Perlman :colbert:

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

SirDrone posted:

Speaking of Deathstroke, when Arkham Origins comes out all they have to do if they want my money is to give me his outfit from there. :haw:

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Also, I tried doing reset mixups at the end of combos with f21 XX dd3~[f], and the opponent was able to back up enough to avoid the crossup, so my fear of dd3 just being too slow after the f21 string seems to have been correct. I'll probably just start ending combos in just f21 and then going for low/overhead/crossup/throw/whatever off that, as at least that seems to actually be +16 like the frame data claims.

Well, I was just doing some testing/messing around in training mode with Zatanna and remembered why ending in naked f21 is kinda lovely for her mixup: the string pushes back too far. I think I might instead start ending combos after MB Puppet Master with j2 XX float~[d], falling j2, 11d3 for still good damage and the hard knockdown. I tested 11d3 vs. b1d3, and the first option gives way more time for Zatanna to act before the opponent can wakeup attack than the second.

Another thing I just noticed while messing around with modified combos is that pretty much any of my combos with 223 in them are poo poo. 223 as a naked string does 10%, whereas 112 as a string does 8%, but check out some of these combo damages:

b1u3, j2, 223 XX bf3~MB, dash x2, nj2 XX float~[d], falling j2, b21 XX bf1~MB, b3, dash f21 XX bf1 = 39%
b1u3, j2, 112 XX bf3~MB, dash x2, nj2 XX float~[d], falling j2, b21 XX bf1~MB, b3, dash f21 XX bf1 = 41%

f3, j3, 223 XX bf3~MB, dash x2, nj2 XX float~[d], falling j2, b21 XX bf1~MB, b3, dash f21 XX bf1 = 40%
f3, j3, 112 XX bf3~MB, dash x2, nj2 XX float~[d], falling j2, b21 XX bf1~MB, b3, dash f21 XX bf1 = 41%

b21 XX bf1~MB, b3, step forward j3, 223 XX bf3~MB, dash x2, nj2 XX float~[d], falling j2, b21 XX bf1~MB, b3, dash f21 XX bf1 = 43%
b21 XX bf1~MB, b3, dash j3, 112 XX bf3~MB, dash x2, nj2 XX float~[d], falling j2, b21 XX bf1~MB, b3, dash f21 XX bf1 = 44%

So yeah, the 223, despite doing more damage normally, does something extra to the scaling that the 112 does not, making the 112 string better in these combos. The kicker here is that all the 112 variations are actually much easier to do, so that's pretty nice. If I think about it, I'll go back through my previous post and make the necessary edits.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

SirDrone posted:

I think the game would get a sizeable bump in sales if Deathstroke, Raven, Nightwing and Cyborg got some skins and voices from the cartoon, but I seriously doubt NRS' artists and the Unreal engine could make that look good. It's amazing the Akkham people managed to make the BTAS skins look as good as they do.

Then there'd be the issue that cartoon Raven, Cyborg and Robin have completely different body sizes than they do in this game...

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Dear online Zatannas: Please stop obviously teleporting and letting me full combo punish you every single time. Thanks.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
She's really freakin' hard to use and I'm really not seeing a lot of return. I'm sticking with Zod for all my high-execution needs. I don't see a compelling reason to play her. To be honest my snap judgement is that they made another Lobo. I'm probably wrong though.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Even though I had no intention of learning how to play her, you guys are making me reeeeeaaaally glad I didn't spontaneously buy Zatanna for complete roster sake.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

AndyElusive posted:

Even though I had no intention of learning how to play her, you guys are making me reeeeeaaaally glad I didn't spontaneously buy Zatanna for complete roster sake.

Wouldn't it be funny if Red Hood got released and he was actually better and way more fun than Zatanna without being a Deathstroke clone? Yeah... so funny... :smith:

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars

Lurdiak posted:

Cyborg got some skins and voices from the cartoon

Well Cyborgs Titan VA did repise his role for Injustice however Raven's Titan VA didn't and instead voiced Harley :shrug:

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

She's really freakin' hard to use and I'm really not seeing a lot of return. I'm sticking with Zod for all my high-execution needs. I don't see a compelling reason to play her. To be honest my snap judgement is that they made another Lobo. I'm probably wrong though.

No, there's absolutely zero chance she's Lobo tier. She's got too much good stuff for that. Let's break it down:

- A Killer Frost-like ability to reset into forced standing high/low, even if her high/low itself is a bit slower.
- Much easier execution on her combos than Lobo, especially in landing the b3 for continued damage. Only hard part is getting used to the j2 float j2 for optimal damage after bf3~MB.
- Combos into bf3~MB can also end in 11d3 for hard knockdown and a ton of time for Zatanna to do whatever before the opponent can wakeup.
- Larger than average 1 meter damage off her b3/f3 (b3/f3, j3, 112 XX bf3~MB, dash x2 nj2 XX float~[d], falling j2, b21 XX db1 is 41%)
- Strong pressure tool in db2~MB that she can use to cover her approach or for teleport mixup.
- Strong punish tool in MB Teleport, which also automatically gives her far better mobility options than Lobo, which is the area in which he is most lacking.
- Huge screen carry on her combos since they don't switch sides, which is a big deal because her pressure and mixup is improved in the corner when she can use f21 and not have them pushed out of range of her mixup.

As you can see, despite the flaws I discussed in an earlier post, she still has quite a bit going for her. She's also only like 3 days old, so people are going to keep finding dirty stuff with her and refining her mixup and pressure.

Shadow Ninja 64 fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Aug 16, 2013

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

SirDrone posted:

Well Cyborgs Titan VA did repise his role for Injustice however Raven's Titan VA didn't and instead voiced Harley :shrug:

According to Tara Strong she did Raven too. They must have post processed her up to bajeezus and back.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Any of you PS3 people want to play a bit? I'm on for the next 40 mins or so, tag: Demmonaz

e: Not sure what your tag is on here, but great games Gasti. Your Flash is the bomb, and thanks for showing me some of the stuff Zatanna can actually do instead of braindead teleports!

WarEternal fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Aug 16, 2013

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I still hold fast to my belief that Shazam is not only a viable character but also a solid character (that happens to have pretty much no anti-air options or air projectiles at all, and is pretty much an inferior Black Adam). That said, I have seen exactly two people use him effectively, and I find that sad. Anybody have any streams/vids of good Shazam players?

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

WarEternal posted:

Any of you PS3 people want to play a bit? I'm on for the next 40 mins or so, tag: Demmonaz

e: Not sure what your tag is on here, but great games Gasti. Your Flash is the bomb, and thanks for showing me some of the stuff Zatanna can actually do instead of braindead teleports!

That was me! Your Nightwing was pretty great. Going through all that zoning completely sucked, though. :mad: (Technically a compliment)

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

I edited my Zatanna midscreen combo list with modifications and improvements based on new knowledge and no longer trusting NRS's in game frame data: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3548607&pagenumber=96&perpage=40#post418409296

While messing around with that, I also played around with Zatanna's f3, and it unsurprisingly can cross up downed opponents. The cool thing here is that any combo you end in 11d3 lets you go for this crossup if you want. Just do the f3 ASAP after the 11d3.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

Gologle posted:

I still hold fast to my belief that Shazam is not only a viable character but also a solid character (that happens to have pretty much no anti-air options or air projectiles at all, and is pretty much an inferior Black Adam). That said, I have seen exactly two people use him effectively, and I find that sad. Anybody have any streams/vids of good Shazam players?

This one looks pretty great: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKR4UL2sa-I

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

No, there's absolutely zero chance she's Lobo tier. She's got too much good stuff for that.

I'm sorry, that sentence was really poorly structured. I just meant that they made a high-execution character that doesn't really deserve some of the high execution. I felt like I was wrestling with the controls sometimes. But I'm not saying that Zatanna is an actual bad character. Really poor communication on my part. I don't know a lot about Lobo, but I do know that I've browsed his forum and besides his really tough execution issues he also has some major holes in his toolbox. Zatanna seems to have all the tools to make stuff happen, but so does Martian Manhunter and he's a lot easier to use IMO. I'm pretty casual at this game, though, so pretty much everything I post except for Bane stuff (who I main and play almost daily) is surface-level poo poo.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Aug 16, 2013

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Commissar Ken posted:

According to Tara Strong she did Raven too. They must have post processed her up to bajeezus and back.
That's exactly what they did. I have no idea why NRS decided to do that, because Tara's deadpan was fine on its own. It didn't need to be run through a voice distortion program. Now, if the distorted voice was just something for her trait (to go with the whole possession shtick), then it'd be fine. But as it stands, the distorted voice sucks and was a dumb decision.

Emo Szyslak
Feb 25, 2006

Because in the comics she's not Daria with demon powers

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Spaceman Bill posted:

Because in the comics she's not Daria with demon powers

I don't remember Cyborg 'BOOYAH!'-ing a lot in the comics either, yet here we are.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

Commissar Ken posted:

I don't remember Cyborg 'BOOYAH!'-ing a lot in the comics either, yet here we are.

It's his equivalent of Hadoken, he's actually just channeling his ki energies.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
It was a fun Air dash festival WarEternal! :D

Edit: Oh yeah, this was from yesterday. It was a bit uncalled for. I think this is the worst one that I've gotten. What goes through these peoples heads.

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Aug 18, 2013

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

AradoBalanga posted:

That's exactly what they did. I have no idea why NRS decided to do that, because Tara's deadpan was fine on its own. It didn't need to be run through a voice distortion program. Now, if the distorted voice was just something for her trait (to go with the whole possession shtick), then it'd be fine. But as it stands, the distorted voice sucks and was a dumb decision.

There's no way the filter is responsible for how completely different the delivery and emphasis is. It's obvious Tara Strong voiced Raven differently because she's a completely different character than the one on the show. They added a filter to make her sound spookier, but filters aren't magic. They can't turn deadpan into operatic grandstanding.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

nunsexmonkrock posted:

It was a fun Air dash festival WarEternal! :D

Edit: Oh yeah, this was from yesterday. It was a bit uncalled for. I think this is the worst one that I've gotten. What goes through these peoples heads.

Wow, that's just great. What were you doing to make this guy rage like that?

strangemusic posted:

It's his equivalent of Hadoken, he's actually just channeling his ki energies.

I really felt like Cyborg needed to say "BOO-YAH!" when he lets loose in his Super.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

Unbound posted:

Wow, that's just great. What were you doing to make this guy rage like that?

I cornered him, he couldn't get out and he eventually rage quit.

Edit: At least I think, I can hardly remember what happened today.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
http://www.twitch.tv/kombatnetwork Found a little tournament going on. KDZ's superman just got ripped to shreds by some killer frost player I don't think I've seen before called Khaotix (not that I'm some fighting game circuit master or anything).

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

You should always take these messages as a sign that you're doing something right. :)

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Kombat Network's running more games today!

http://www.twitch.tv/kombatnetwork

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx
This week in crazy-awesome-best-Injustice-I've-ever-seen, The Break was completely stacked with REO, Rico Suave, CD Jr, Darth Arma, Tom Brady, and KDZ all in attendance. This direct links to the start of when things start to get serious (Rico vs REO), and the hype matches never really lets up - at the least make sure to watch loser's finals as well:

http://www.twitch.tv/8wayrun/b/448897675?t=02h21m20s

REO's MMH is the greatest god drat thing to watch.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Warning, the one commentator, at least at the beginning, is loving horrible. I mean, I understand FG commentary is a world of horrible screaming about a game they sometimes hardly understand but this was particularly egregious.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
In that world you speak of, Yipes is basically Kenshiro.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Equilibrium posted:

This week in crazy-awesome-best-Injustice-I've-ever-seen, The Break was completely stacked with REO, Rico Suave, CD Jr, Darth Arma, Tom Brady, and KDZ all in attendance. This direct links to the start of when things start to get serious (Rico vs REO), and the hype matches never really lets up - at the least make sure to watch loser's finals as well:

http://www.twitch.tv/8wayrun/b/448897675?t=02h21m20s

REO's MMH is the greatest god drat thing to watch.

Good god, those WW combos. Also yeah REO's Martian Manhunter is pretty fun looking.

IronMcHardSteel
Mar 29, 2010
Fun Shoe
I know this is real scummy and super short notice but if I don't do it tomorrow I won't be able to do it for another week. That would just be too long to wait. So 360 tournament tomorrow, August 22nd at 10pm CST. Sign up if you aren't scared as heck.

http://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/Wg4UZJ0fGE
http://challonge.com/InjusticeGoons4

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

IronMcHardSteel posted:

I know this is real scummy and super short notice but if I don't do it tomorrow I won't be able to do it for another week. That would just be too long to wait. So 360 tournament tomorrow, August 22nd at 10pm CST. Sign up if you aren't scared as heck.

http://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/Wg4UZJ0fGE
http://challonge.com/InjusticeGoons4

I'd join but I'm not sure how Challonge works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IronMcHardSteel
Mar 29, 2010
Fun Shoe
You just click this link http://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/Wg4UZJ0fGE and sign up for an account and it should sign you up right then. The other link is just for the bracket and rules. Other than that we just randomize the bracket at fight time and click beside our names to report our scores after a set and refresh the page until we have another fight lined up.

• Locked thread