Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

helno posted:

I wonder what the insurance company will think when they see it has no seatbelts.

I was talking with SeatSafetySwitch about that and he dug up some old brochures. Belts were standard on these cars, so it should have them, they're probably just buried in the cracks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Nice find :)

None of my vehicles are older than 1983 but they all have way worse interiors (and rust...) than that beauty!!

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

apatite posted:

Nice find :)

None of my vehicles are older than 1983 but they all have way worse interiors (and rust...) than that beauty!!

Thanks man :coal:

I think I managed to do it. Turn a three car garage into a 4 car.

Had to clean out a lot of poo poo that accumulated over winter, people keep giving me stuff, loving stop! I have enough poo poo!

Ugh.

Couple hours of work, some vehicle juggling, and a "gently caress I missed closing time at the dump" trip into town later, I have, hopefully, enough space for the Coronet. I can move the blue car over a little more too, it's raining here and I couldn't see all that well from my side mirrors.

If all else fails, I think I can get the tractor and the hackcent in the single bay, lengthwise, but I won't be able to keep an implement on the Massey.

Or, if I have to keep that piece of poo poo poulan lawnmower outside, I will totally do that. Maybe get a little storage shed.

Probably hang the bike from the ceiling too if I have to, thing's light as hell.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

AbsentMindedWelder posted:

The interior and engine match the tractor!

That is a great car you got there. I'm sure you'll enjoy it and have no problems getting it to run and look like it came off a show room floor.
And thus the curse is cast. :v:

Great find Slung Blade, it reminds me of my parents' old grey/red interior Ford LTD. I was a young child when it finally died, but I still remember those red vinyl bench seats. They were painful and sticky in summer with my short legs. :( Still, sure to be an awesome car!

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Slung Blade posted:

Or, if I have to keep that piece of poo poo poulan lawnmower outside, I will totally do that. Maybe get a little storage shed.
I thought you had a little storage shed? You get rid of it?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

angryrobots posted:

I thought you had a little storage shed? You get rid of it?

He has a little shed, but it's not for "storage", it's a workshop.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Yeah, that's the shop. I could use like three or four of them for all my gear though :(

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Archive-saving bump.

Work continues on the tractor. More on that soonish.

Also I built a Thing. (click for more info from the guy who did a ton of research that I am sponging off of)

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Oh poo poo oh poo poo oh poo poo you're doing it, you're building your bloomery! gently caress me, I can't wait to see how that comes out. Please take video when you remove the bloom and work the slag out of it!

Also when are you going to smoke some fish or make a cake or pie or something.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Leperflesh posted:

Oh poo poo oh poo poo oh poo poo you're doing it, you're building your bloomery! gently caress me, I can't wait to see how that comes out. Please take video when you remove the bloom and work the slag out of it!

Also when are you going to smoke some fish or make a cake or pie or something.

If I can (am sober enough to have someone film it while we pull the bloom out and pack it) you bet I will.

Also I smoked 5 filets two weeks ago, turned out pretty well, but I didn't think anyone wanted to see it again.

Fired the giant clay dildo yesterday. Cracked up and slumped, but we'll see how it works. (disastrously probably :D )

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Hey slung I dunno if you'd be up to it but it may be cool to have an update tour around your place since this thread has been alive so long. I loved the build and it would be cool to relive it a little bit seeing how everything is now.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere

Slung Blade posted:

Fired the giant clay dildo yesterday. Cracked up and slumped, but we'll see how it works. (disastrously probably :D )

What's that gray thing on the bucket, a fan?

Pinkerton
Jan 21, 2002

Never sleeping...

dreesemonkey posted:

Hey slung I dunno if you'd be up to it but it may be cool to have an update tour around your place since this thread has been alive so long. I loved the build and it would be cool to relive it a little bit seeing how everything is now.

Agreed... been following this thread for years and it would be neat to see how your place looks now.

Persona non grata
Apr 25, 2010
Probably covered in dirty underwear and Dorito bags.

kafkasgoldfish
Jan 26, 2006

God is the sweat running down his back...

Costello Jello posted:

What's that gray thing on the bucket, a fan?

Not just a fan, a centrifugual blower!

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Persona non grata posted:

Probably covered in dirty underwear and Dorito bags.

Sir, please, I have some class.

They're pretzel bags.

dreesemonkey posted:

I'll see what I can do, anything in particular you want to see?

Also yes, that's a big fan, hopefully powerful enough to pass air into the tuyere for the smelt.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Slung Blade posted:

I'll see what I can do, anything in particular you want to see?

Maybe just hit the highlights of things people usually want to see, what it looks like from the outside, your lot, kitchen, garage/shop, etc.

xThrasheRx
Jul 12, 2005

Surrealistic
Just read this whole thing, impressive stuff! Makes me inspired to go back to my roots of living out in the middle of nowhere as I get older.

I must say that smoked salmon looks very nice. Here in Sweden we love our cold smoked salmon, its a delicacy people don't appreciate enough. I made myself a bagel with cream cheese, red onion and cold smoked salmon the other day and it is probably the best food you can eat in the morning.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

xThrasheRx posted:

I made myself a bagel with cream cheese, red onion and cold smoked salmon the other day and it is probably the best food you can eat in the morning.

Absolutely my number one breakfast item. I can't get the amazing quality cured smoked salmon that I could in NYC now, so maybe I should learn how to do this also.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I eat that a lot. I like to add a bit of fresh dill and some capers.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
Where do you get the iron ore for smelting? I'm googling as hard as I can and there's just not much info on this. It looks like bog ore would be the most accessible but I don't live in a boggy climate and I would be terrible at actually identifying the ore. Do you just visit some industrial smelting plant and ask for some rocks?

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

Probably he buys pig iron, I'd imagine.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

I've been researching and it looks like a good source if black (iron) sand, which can usually be found in places where people pan for gold. I think I'll probably go that route.

Slung, what's the advantage of your bloomery over something like this guy's setup which seems tremendously easier and cheaper?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7t6ZRpw8kPo

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Well I don't know how that guy is going to smelt anything if there's a huge gap with flames shooting out. You need a pool of molten slag at the bottom of the bloomery in order for the iron to migrate through it to the bloom. Seems like he might be losing a lot of heat that way too.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Well he later posted his bloom (http://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/30556-my-first-tatara-furnace/) which was 5lbs, made from 10lbs of iron oxide, so I guess it worked. In this video he shows that hole being used for letting the slag out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LO1ZgiEVUs

I thought the slag was supposed to be in there until the very end but I have no idea. Maybe using pig iron or ore is different from iron oxide.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Huh. OK, well, 5 pounds of iron is not very much iron, so I guess he's just working really really small and the slag only pools up to where that hole is in this video.

I think I'd want more than 5 pounds from my bloom, considering it's not 100% usable. You could make a single 5-pound hammer out of that, I guess? Maybe a medium-sized knife?

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Leperflesh posted:

Huh. OK, well, 5 pounds of iron is not very much iron, so I guess he's just working really really small and the slag only pools up to where that hole is in this video.

I think I'd want more than 5 pounds from my bloom, considering it's not 100% usable. You could make a single 5-pound hammer out of that, I guess? Maybe a medium-sized knife?

A 4 pound knife is called a sword.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

If you start with 5 pounds of iron in a bloom, you are not going to end up with a 4 pound knife.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

xThrasheRx posted:

Just read this whole thing, impressive stuff! Makes me inspired to go back to my roots of living out in the middle of nowhere as I get older.

I must say that smoked salmon looks very nice. Here in Sweden we love our cold smoked salmon, its a delicacy people don't appreciate enough. I made myself a bagel with cream cheese, red onion and cold smoked salmon the other day and it is probably the best food you can eat in the morning.

Hey thanks! Make sure you check out apatite's wilderness thread, dude puts me to shame.

hayden. posted:

Where do you get the iron ore for smelting? I'm googling as hard as I can and there's just not much info on this. It looks like bog ore would be the most accessible but I don't live in a boggy climate and I would be terrible at actually identifying the ore. Do you just visit some industrial smelting plant and ask for some rocks?

Same place I got the clay. In which, I bought 400 pounds of magnetite :v: loving iron ore is impossible to find in quantities above "5 ounce bag" for hobby/model building purposes and below "multiple train car loads". I googled for a long drat time too.

hayden. posted:

I've been researching and it looks like a good source if black (iron) sand, which can usually be found in places where people pan for gold. I think I'll probably go that route.

Slung, what's the advantage of your bloomery over something like this guy's setup which seems tremendously easier and cheaper?

Honestly, I am not sure. From what I've read, even firebrick doesn't really hold up all that well to this kind of abuse. But you're absolutely right, given the insane amount of effort it took me and my sister to build this shitpile, it would be a lot cheaper (in terms of labour invested, at least) to just use disposable firebrick.

I think some of it might have to do with the firebrick reflecting TOO much of the heat back into the bloom. The clay will dissipate a lot of it through the wall, it might have something to do with the chemistry, I don't know. This calls for experiments!

Unrelated, mostly, to the iron stuff though, I was just in Pioneer Acres again this weekend. I'm just going to copy/paste everything I said over in the AI thread:

This year's theme was oddball and unusual tractors, naturally, I absolutely had to take mine and participate in the festivities beyond what I normally do there (work in the blacksmith shop).

There was a large field of display units out there this year, it was pretty great.

There's your standard JD fare.

A few others.

The Canadians.

The weird.

A British diesel from the 40s.

That rusty Rock Island had a 5" thick tree growing through its wheel when it was rescued, they left it in there as a badge of honour. Also probably because it would have been really loving hard to chainsaw it out of the spokes.

Neat little custom built.

Still not sure exactly what this one was. JD cultivator of some sort, I think.

A factory yellow Farmall. It worked for the government hauling planes around an airbase.

And a factory white Farmall. Demonstrator unit that they would take out into the countryside and show off with.

MORE FOREIGNERS. I like the solid lump of cast iron on the left, to go in reverse, you actually stop the engine (hot bulb) and re-start it running backwards.

Belarus! :belarus:

And this freaky thing, which I love. The Triple.

Three whole international 660s welded together on a single steel frame, steered hydraulically from the Captain's chair. Built because the farmer's needed big horsepower for their land and couldn't get anything bigger at the time. :black101:

I actually entered a few of the events, like the slow races! You go as slow as possible down the 100 foot track on the parade route, the last one to get there without stopping wins.

There's a guy, who's a great fella, who ran a Ferguson (35, I think) with some ridiculous low range gear box in it, seems he had won the last 5 years in a row. I beat him by a good wide margin with my insane electric Massey. All in all, it was a total blast, but it's gotta be pretty boring to watch, it literally took us 5 minutes.

Weighed my machine (2700 pounds) and tried my luck at the tractor pull sled on the free day, too. I got 110 feet, which is pretty impressive considering most of the guys thought I couldn't even move the sled. Featherweight class is up to 4000 pounds, so I could add a lot of traction weight and do pretty well, I think. For a 9hp motor, anyway. Maybe next year.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Leperflesh posted:

If you start with 5 pounds of iron in a bloom, you are not going to end up with a 4 pound knife.

Professionals works with 20% loss, but you're most likely right. In this case it would probably be a 2 pound knife, which is still a pretty large machete.

Sir Cornelius fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Aug 15, 2013

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

Slung Blade posted:

Three whole international 660s welded together on a single steel frame, steered hydraulically from the Captain's chair. Built because the farmer's needed big horsepower for their land and couldn't get anything bigger at the time. :black101:

Wow that's absolutely nuts. Looks like it'd have a poor turning radius, though. You have an electric tractor? Did you convert it yourself? How's the torque on it compare to a comparable diesel tractor?

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Costello Jello posted:

Wow that's absolutely nuts. Looks like it'd have a poor turning radius, though. You have an electric tractor? Did you convert it yourself? How's the torque on it compare to a comparable diesel tractor?

Yeah, I had a thread on it, but it fell into the archives ages ago. I have all the images backed up on this blog: http://electric-massey.blogspot.ca/ (might redirect to .com in the US)

It's pretty decent, nice and torquey, but I've never driven a diesel tractor of a comparable size (or a gas, for that matter) so I can't really say personally.

All I know is, I can cultivate my garden with it and run trenches for drainage when necessary, which is plenty enough for me.

I would not say it's as powerful as a gas tractor of the same size though.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Sir Cornelius posted:

Professionals works with 20% loss, but you're most likely right. In this case it would probably be a 2 pound knife, which is still a pretty large machete.

Yeah, fair enough. I would figure 20% loss if I was starting from bar stock, but I think you're going to have to do a lot more heats starting from a bloom, especially since the bloom tends to be highly heterogeneous structure - high-carbon in some places, low-carbon in others, so you'll need to work it somewhat or use different parts for different purposes or whatever.

But yeah OK, maybe two or even three knives from your bloom.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Slung Blade posted:

Same place I got the clay. In which, I bought 400 pounds of magnetite :v: loving iron ore is impossible to find in quantities above "5 ounce bag" for hobby/model building purposes and below "multiple train car loads". I googled for a long drat time too.

I think some of it might have to do with the firebrick reflecting TOO much of the heat back into the bloom. The clay will dissipate a lot of it through the wall, it might have something to do with the chemistry, I don't know. This calls for experiments!

Oh you tease, simply buying magnetite like that is impossible around here I would guess. Did you find it locally or have to get it shipped for a ridiculous price?

I heard firebrick actually has the reverse problem - it absorbs a ton of heat and takes forever to warm up. The guy in the youtube coated them in refractory mortar to counter this.

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Will say it again: your electric tractor thread is what got me truly hooked on SA. Before that it was more of an occasional time-waster. Now there is this awesome DIY community and my heart is so warm and fuzzy all the time. Oh, the beautiful projects...

Thank you for bringing the tractor to a tractor show somewhere to show it off. I bet you had tons of old dudes either completely loathing it (you blasphemer) or totally loving it (you wonderful bastard). Some day I will have the electric tractor of my dreams. Dad has an old Allis Chalmers chassis for parts that would probably work but I'd prefer to start with something in much better shape.

The bloomery is most excellent as well. I've been touring some of the abandoned iron mines around here (three so far) and was thinking about what you said before about high iron content sand.

Keep up the good work!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Could you smelt iron oxide? I know ceramicists use it as a glaze component, which means it's available in refined powdered form in bags of a reasonable size from ceramics supply companies.

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
If you're interested in that sort of thing I have a friend who has a modified old ferguson tractor with a V8 engine.

kafkasgoldfish
Jan 26, 2006

God is the sweat running down his back...

Leperflesh posted:

Could you smelt iron oxide? I know ceramicists use it as a glaze component, which means it's available in refined powdered form in bags of a reasonable size from ceramics supply companies.

Magnetite is a type of iron oxide :science:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

kafkasgoldfish posted:

Magnetite is a type of iron oxide :science:

Magnetite is a mineral. Iron oxide is a chemical. I took a bunch of geology and poo poo in college! Also I play Dwarf Fortress.

There are other major iron-bearing minerals of various chemical compositions, too. Hematite is also an iron oxide!

But if you're doing google searches for suppliers of iron in medium quantities (say, 20 pounds), you might get better hits from ceramic suppliers by searching for "iron oxide" rather than "magnetite".

for example

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

Magnetite is a mineral. Iron oxide is a chemical. I took a bunch of geology and poo poo in college!

But maybe not chemistry classes, because magnetite is in fact a type of iron oxide (Fe3O4).