Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
whoa who stole shaggars pw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

Suspicious Dish posted:

whoa who stole shaggars pw

one of the many times Shaggar was right

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Install Windows posted:

ps: write caching doesn't actually improve performance

what world do you live in where write caching does not improve performance #wow #whoa

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

flyboi posted:

what world do you live in where write caching does not improve performance #wow #whoa

write caching doesn't make the files actually appear on the flash drive faster and thats all that matters w/r/t performance of the flash drive

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Doc Block posted:

also, i'm gonna piss off marco arment by getting the least possible internal storage and having a metric fuckload of external storage. cables and cords will be everywhere.

reminder that marco arment used to admin the total annihilation fan forum at annihilated.com

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Shaggar posted:

use w/e the latest version of windows media encoder is. its probably part of the expression brand now.

Wait, MS doesn't update the windows media encoders built into WMFoundation and puts their best encoder in a standalone utility instead?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

pagancow posted:

Wait, MS doesn't update the windows media encoders built into WMFoundation and puts their best encoder in a standalone utility instead?

lol what company did you think you were dealing with

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
Windows Media Encoder Live Cloud Edition

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
quicktime is built into osx and it's wonderful!

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
:rimshot:

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
quicktime is so good there are two of them

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
upgrade to QuickTime Pro for full screen!!!

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

quicktime.. more like quacktime! am i right?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

pagancow posted:

except mac os tries to re-arrange data on drives all the time without telling you for performance

just so they can claim they dont have a defrag utility

only on HFS+ volumes, so again what you claimed doesn't actually happen

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

ahmeni posted:

upgrade to QuickTime Pro for full screen!!!

what, really?

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
quicktime ... for the lose

gg no re

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Wheany posted:

what, really?

not anymore but for a long time there they were trying to nickel-and-dime you to get full screen and export features

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

QuickTime has no standard metadata flag for telling the decoder what gamma the file is encoded in.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

QuickTime is so good on windows it doesn't do a tv to RGB level LUT for any format.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

QuickTime will under no circumstances play back a .mp4 file with an audio and video stream that don't match in length down to the millisecond.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

QuickTime has variable framerates for video but not audio and can cause desync depending on the host utility playing it back, making a 2-pop necessary when sending your file to be mastered even in a totally apple workflow.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

QuickTime has a JPEG A and JPEG B codec, they are exactly the same except one is stored big endian and the other little little endian.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

pagancow posted:

QuickTime will under no circumstances play back a .mp4 file with an audio and video stream that don't match in length down to the millisecond.

LOL if this is an issue for you...

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

QuickTime is a source of frustration with post professionals and users alike because you can't guarantee that your video will look the same across two apple platforms let alone Mac to windows.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Doc Block posted:

LOL if this is an issue for you...

Okay. Lets give a practical situation.

You encoded your English version of your movie at 90 minutes length. There are about 2 seconds of null audio at the end for some logos. You receive back audio for other dubbed versions from a forign outsourcer. Instead of reencoding the file you are going to mix in the audio for the new delivery you will make, saving you a week in encoding time.

Oh wait outsourcer bounced the audio from pro tools and closed off the file 52ms short! Now you need to bring that audio into a daw and add audio to the file to Marc the length of the video down to the millisecond. Lets hope there was a 2-pop included so you don't have any audio desync!

All in the name of QuickTime player compatibility. Any other player has no problem with the audio not being the exact length as the video.

Lets hope your AAC encoder makes the audio tracks exactly the correct length and doesn't pad the file with any null audio!

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

It's a weeks worth of encoding because let's be practical here. If you're working on a 90 minute feature your still working on first generation intel Mac Pro at best.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Lol there is some tryhard here with an easy rig holding up a Sony EX1

Just for those who don't know the easy rig weighs as much as an ex1 and is for real cameras that weigh 20+ lbs

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
that reminds me of the time i showed up with an easyrig for your mom

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

pagancow posted:

Okay. Lets give a practical situation.

You encoded your English version of your movie at 90 minutes length. There are about 2 seconds of null audio at the end for some logos. You receive back audio for other dubbed versions from a forign outsourcer. Instead of reencoding the file you are going to mix in the audio for the new delivery you will make, saving you a week in encoding time.

Oh wait outsourcer bounced the audio from pro tools and closed off the file 52ms short! Now you need to bring that audio into a daw and add audio to the file to Marc the length of the video down to the millisecond. Lets hope there was a 2-pop included so you don't have any audio desync!

All in the name of QuickTime player compatibility. Any other player has no problem with the audio not being the exact length as the video.

Lets hope your AAC encoder makes the audio tracks exactly the correct length and doesn't pad the file with any null audio!

all those words and youre wrong anyway

maybe quicktime for windows wont (who uses this besides you apparently anyway) but it will on os x

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
quicktime calling itself quick is like windows calling itself win

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i got a steadicam shirt in a swag bag, do you think i can pick up chicks who confuse me for a totally tubular steadicam operator?

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
do you have a ponytail?

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
no, but i think i can grow one last one before my hair gives up the ghost and falls out completely

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
then i'd say you're on your way

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
women want a steady man with steady hands

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
yes!

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
you just gotta ask yourself if you really want to be with a woman who is into DP

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Quine Connoisseur posted:

all those words and youre wrong anyway

maybe quicktime for windows wont (who uses this besides you apparently anyway) but it will on os x

Tested in QuickTime x and 7 on 10.8.3 no audio in x and generic error message in 7

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

pagancow posted:

Tested in QuickTime x and 7 on 10.8.3 no audio in x and generic error message in 7

Format : MPEG-4
Format profile : Base Media
Codec ID : isom
File size : 245 MiB
Duration : 21mn 37s
Overall bit rate mode : Variable
Overall bit rate : 1 582 Kbps
Encoded date : UTC 2013-08-10 05:53:09
Tagged date : UTC 2013-08-15 21:54:20
Writing application : Lavf54.63.102
rtng : 0

Video
ID : 1
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : High@L4.1
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 4 frames
Codec ID : avc1
Codec ID/Info : Advanced Video Coding
Duration : 21mn 37s
Bit rate : 1 410 Kbps
Maximum bit rate : 3 696 Kbps
Width : 852 pixels
Height : 480 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 23.976 fps
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.144
Stream size : 218 MiB (89%)
Writing library : x264 core 113 r1884 7313bb5
Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=4 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x3:0x113 / me=umh / subme=9 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=24 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=1 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=12 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=5 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=1 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=2 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=23 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=40 / rc=2pass / mbtree=1 / bitrate=1410 / ratetol=1.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=0 / qpmax=69 / qpstep=4 / cplxblur=20.0 / qblur=0.5 / vbv_maxrate=10000 / vbv_bufsize=7500 / nal_hrd=none / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00
Language : English
Encoded date : UTC 2013-08-10 05:53:09
Tagged date : UTC 2013-08-10 05:53:10
Color primaries : BT.709
Transfer characteristics : BT.709
Matrix coefficients : BT.709

Audio
ID : 2
Format : AAC
Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec
Format profile : LC
Codec ID : 40