Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
Whoa, wait, you get sexual gratification when somebody holds a door for you? I must be doing it wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

That Quasimodo MRA guy with the chronic nad-pain might be the most uncomfortable thing I've ever read, for all the reasons outlined in this thread, and more.

Today, one of my best and most-respected friends from college posted that airport TARDIS story on facebook. I suggested that it never happened and got dogpiled but a bunch of Dr. Who fans I'd never met, getting all MYTH PLAUSIBLE with me.

edit:

Minarch posted:

Whoa, wait, you get sexual gratification when somebody holds a door for you? I must be doing it wrong.

Haha I thought the same thing. When you can't go a paragraph without going off on some ranting tangent, it makes good grammar all the more important.

walrusman has a new favorite as of 03:58 on Aug 15, 2013

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
In STDH-world, what happens when a woman holds a door open for a woman? Or a man for a man?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Crow Jane posted:

In STDH-world, what happens when a woman holds a door open for a woman? Or a man for a man?

"Woah buddy, what're you doing holding that door open for me?!? I almost had an orgasm, trying to make me a homo or something??"

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Crow Jane posted:

In STDH-world, what happens when a woman holds a door open for a woman?

The door-holding womyn has been oppressed and brainwashed into thinking that this subjugation is normal. It is the sacred duty of the other womyn to point the victim to the appropriate tumblrs for dealing with PTSD, choosing new liberated pronouns, and schlicking to Homestuck fanfic.

quote:

Or a man for a man?

Ape-hooting and MMA fights.

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
So revolving doors are like masturbation, right?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
How can you misinterpret someone shaking their head as disappointment in you after you've literally just asked a yes or no question you dumb bitch arghhhhhh :cripes:

Even if this didn't happen it still makes me upset somehow.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

So, nobody ever really goes anywhere, I'm guessing.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

quote:

Popular is Dumb was played straight and subverted in this troper's high school class: originally the most popular people were the dumb ones. This troper is pretty smart, so he came to the conclusion that it's easier to (TheChessmaster) manipulate the popular, dumb ones than becoming popular. However, later most of the class realized this, so - while never getting more popular than the dumb ones - he became the de facto leader of the class.
Whenever something important was decided by a class vote (class trip destinations, etc...), it went his way. Also, as a member of the student council he managed to get rid of a stupid teacher once and since the other teachers (including the director, the assistant director and (AlmightyJanitor) the man who owned the school buffet) generally liked and trusted him, he could influence decisions which were above class-vote or even student-council level

I like the image of some high school student being so smart that he is magically able to make hiring decisions and control the entire school.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

I'm not seeing the poo poo that didn't happen. "A guy held a door open and I was an rear end in a top hat" seems completely believable to me.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

crowfeathers posted:

I like the image of some high school student being so smart that he is magically able to make hiring decisions and control the entire school.

I imagine it's like the chicken strips episode of Community only less believable.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Lottery of Babylon posted:

I'm not seeing the poo poo that didn't happen. "A guy held a door open and I was an rear end in a top hat" seems completely believable to me.
The thread is also kind of for "poo poo that probably did happen, but which demonstrates the fundamental failings of the person posting it in a manner that they manage not to realize."

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Minarch posted:

Employee: “No you don’t. The only adults who watch that movie put up with it to shut their bratty little daughters up for an hour.”

I wish I was still this blissfully ignorant.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Pretty Lady Blob posted:

I wish I was still this blissfully ignorant.

They were only saying that to reaffirm it to themselves.

Double Plus Good
Nov 4, 2009

Lottery of Babylon posted:

I feel like that one is clearly a parody, though? It's tagged "MRA". It's basically what an MRA would write if he tried to write from the point of view of a man-hating feminazi strawman (or, strawwomyn)

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Funkchop posted:

I think the saddest part (if the story is to be believed) is that the guy went to see this My Little Pony movie by himself. So much for friendship.

"My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic Difficult"

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

quote:

Customer: “Hello, do you have any of the new Twilight books?”

Me: “Yes, they’re over here.”

(I lead her to where they would be, but we appear to be sold out. This is strange as all copies were put up this morning.)

Me: “That’s strange. We seem to be out of stock. Can I interest you in anything else?”

Customer: “Ugh, fine. What about this one?”

(They point towards ‘Harry Potter’.)

Me: “Oh, that’s a great book! It’s about a boy who becomes a wizard and-”

Customer: “Are there any werewolves?”

Me: “I think so. I haven’t read them in a while.”

(The customer grabs the entire series of ‘Harry Potter’ and leaves. As I’m about to return to my workstation, two teens run up to me, high-five each other, and tell me they hid all 70 copies of ‘Twilight’ in the ceiling when no one was looking. Although impressed, I have to report them to my manager. After doing so, my manager gives them each a $10 gift card.)

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

It's presumably been several years since the last Harry Potter book came out, because the OP hasn't read them in a while. So at this point there have probably been at least five, maybe six movies, grossing obscene amounts of money worldwide for years. Harry Potter has been in every movie theater, web forum, school, social media outlet, library, bookstore, news show, grocery checkout line, and moral panic blog for over a decade at this point.

And here's an adult who has never heard of it and has no idea what it's about.

Sure.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.

walrusman posted:

It's presumably been several years since the last Harry Potter book came out, because the OP hasn't read them in a while. So at this point there have probably been at least five, maybe six movies, grossing obscene amounts of money worldwide for years. Harry Potter has been in every movie theater, web forum, school, social media outlet, library, bookstore, news show, grocery checkout line, and moral panic blog for over a decade at this point.

Sure.

That STDH is ages old, it's been posted in the thread at least twice before. But because 'haha gently caress twilight', it's high-voted on NAR.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Right, but it had to be 2007 or later because that's when the last book came out. Add a couple years for the OP to apparently forget key plot points and we're up to mid-2009. Someone not knowing the premise of Harry Potter in 2009 is like a teenager in 1967 having never heard of the Beatles.

edit: why am I looking for logic in this?
edit 2: especially since that's the third-least-believable thing in that story?

walrusman has a new favorite as of 06:28 on Aug 15, 2013

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

walrusman posted:

That Quasimodo MRA guy with the chronic nad-pain might be the most uncomfortable thing I've ever read, for all the reasons outlined in this thread, and more.

Not to derail, but you should follow the link, too! Sparklewind is pretty hilarious in his strident MRA-ness.

"Quit twisting men around your little finger, open lesbian Christine Love! :argh:"

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

quote:

(I’m in a Creative Writing class. Star Wars Episode VII has just been announced, and there’s two boys in my class who are huge Star Wars fans. I’m also a fan, but I haven’t made that known. Class is just beginning.)

Teacher: “Random fact for today: Star Wars Episode VII will be made. We have that to look forwards to in 2015.”

Boy #1: “Yeah, right.”

Boy #2: “What’s that supposed to mean?”

Boy #1: “It’ll just be a repeat of the prequels. A bunch of sucky movies, one after the other.”

Me: *muttering* “I have a very bad feeling about this…”

Boy #2: “The prequels don’t suck!”

Boy #1: “They do, and I’ll give you plenty of reasons why: Jar Jar Binks, midichlorians, taxation plots, whiny Anakin—”

Boy #2: “The midichlorian bit didn’t suck!”

(This argument goes back and forth for some time, and they eventually stand up as it gets more heated. The rest of the class looks annoyed, as does the teacher, but efforts to break up the fight are fruitless.)

Teacher: “Boys, this isn’t a forum thread.”

(I finally have enough.)

Me: *to teacher* “You gotta speak their language. Watch.” *stands and turns to boys* “Mindless philosophers! I find your lack of faith in this new film disturbing. You two better watch your mouths, or you’ll find yourselves floating home!”

(The two boys just stare at me silenced.)

Boy #1: “You’re a girl! How do you—”

Me: “Somebody has to save the fandom! Back into your seats, flyboys!”

(They grudgingly sit down, as do I.)

Me: “Boring conversation anyway.” *to teacher* “You’re all clear, [teacher's name]! Now let’s blow this lesson and go home!”

(The entire class bursts out laughing. The two boys never disrupt the class with their Star Wars arguments again.)

Boys, this isn't a forum thread.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

This is too outlandish, this must be some sort of fakepost. I hope.

moerketid
Jul 3, 2012

Bold Robot posted:

The fact it's tagged MRA and Misandry would make it about as reliable testimony as repeat ball-kicking boy a couple of pages back.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Bold Robot posted:

Literally the only 2 things it could be are a feminist actively trying to piss off MRA's, or an MRA trying to post like a feminist and failing.

Protip for the thread, basically no feminist will unironically use the term womyn!

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

:love::love::love:

crowfeathers posted:

Boys, this isn't a forum thread.

These posts where Nerd Girls prove their nerdiness to stupid boys by showing off their extensive knowledge of things girls aren't supposed to like are the most annoying posts in this thread to me.

I'm a 37 year-old woman who has been into sci-fi/fantasy, video games (including the kinds that are marketed to males) and metal since I was, like, 10 and I've never once been told by a guy that I must be lying about liking these things because girls don't like that stuff - even before nerd culture became as mainstream as it is today. The most reaction I've ever gotten is one of mild surprise. Rather than being talked down to about how girls don't like that stuff and being accused of lying about it, most guys seem to think it's cool and are excited to talk about our shared interest.

If these posts were written in the 80's or 90's they might be sometimes somewhat believable, but is anyone really shocked nowadays when a girl can quote Star Wars (a franchise that is about as mainstream as sci-fi gets)?

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

My mother has seen Star Wars and knows who Luke Skywalker is. A New Hope came out 36 years ago. Why the gently caress do these dweebs have to get into a pissing match over who knows more about pop culture poo poo?

I mean, I like a ton of the stuff that has the most obnoxious fandoms, like Supernatural, Doctor Who, Sherlock, and Mass Effect, but gently caress, don't make a goddamn TV show or videogame your entire identity.

Evelyn Nesbit
Jul 8, 2012

senae posted:

Protip for the thread, basically no feminist will unironically use the term womyn!

Unless they're also Pagan and older than 40. In that case, all bets are off.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

My entire personality is based around The Wire, Nick Cave, Sandman, and Dragon Age. I wear ill-fitting t-shirts expressing my allegiance to one or the other every single day. I'm... a pretty awful person, actually.

Oh god, please don't think I'm being serious :ohdear:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Bertrand Hustle posted:

My mother has seen Star Wars and knows who Luke Skywalker is. A New Hope came out 36 years ago. Why the gently caress do these dweebs have to get into a pissing match over who knows more about pop culture poo poo?

I mean, I like a ton of the stuff that has the most obnoxious fandoms, like Supernatural, Doctor Who, Sherlock, and Mass Effect, but gently caress, don't make a goddamn TV show or videogame your entire identity.

They always pick really mainstream "nerd" stuff too. Star Wars is one of the most successful film franchises of all time, but they also use stuff like Doctor Who (a show my 50 year old mother watches because "David Tennant is so handsome") or really anything but the weird obscure stuff that'd really mark someone as a truly obsessive SciFi sort of fan. Like, if they were all quoting Blake's Seven then the story would still be sad bullshit, but at least it'd mean more about the protagonist than "has a basic knowledge of pop culture."

They do it with music too. My knowledge of Bohemian Rhapsody will impress the world! No one could possibly know the most popular song of a massively successful band!

moerketid
Jul 3, 2012

crowfeathers posted:

They always pick really mainstream "nerd" stuff too. Star Wars is one of the most successful film franchises of all time, but they also use stuff like Doctor Who (a show my 50 year old mother watches because "David Tennant is so handsome") or really anything but the weird obscure stuff that'd really mark someone as a truly obsessive SciFi sort of fan. Like, if they were all quoting Blake's Seven then the story would still be sad bullshit, but at least it'd mean more about the protagonist than "has a basic knowledge of pop culture."

They do it with music too. My knowledge of Bohemian Rhapsody will impress the world! No one could possibly know the most popular song of a massively successful band!

God even back in about 1999 when I was 15, I remember there being this "top 100 songs ever as voted for by viewers over months and months" show being on TV, watching it with my dad and saying "#1 is Bohemian Rhapsody. You know it is." right from the start. Though he was more impressed that I called OK Computer for #1 when they did their top albums version. :smuggo: Point being, Bohemian Rhapsody has never been cool. It has never been edgy. It has always been a pop song that millions of people are instantly familiar with and not a lot more.

Regarding Dr Who, I notice a lot of these weird obsessive fans are in the US or otherwise outside the UK. In the UK, Dr Who is a household name for decades, about as far from obscure as you can get. But I get the feeling a lot of the fans outside the UK think it's a way more edgy thing than it really is, hence the "fan fantasy" genre of stdh where SOMEONE RECOGNISES DR WHO GASP CRAZY FAN HIJINKS ENSUE.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Teacher: So they had to transport raw goods back to England for manufacturing.
:smuggo: Transporters? Beam me up Scotty
Teacher: What?
:smuggo: heh

FouRPlaY
May 5, 2010

walrusman posted:

Sure.

The first Harry Potter movie came out in 2001, which is the first I'd heard of it. I was twenty-one. I saw the adds and said "hey, that's for kids," and went on with my life.

I know it's about wizards, but that's it. Not much of a stretch to believe someone doesn't know about it.

Danyull
Jan 16, 2011

oldpainless posted:

Teacher: So they had to transport raw goods back to England for manufacturing.
:smuggo: Transporters? Beam me up Scotty
Teacher: What?
:smuggo: heh

Okay but are/were you a girl?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I am gender fluid you inconsiderate rear end in a top hat.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

oldpainless posted:

I am gender fluid you inconsiderate rear end in a top hat.

Gender fluid sounds pretty gross.

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

SheepNameKiller posted:

Gender fluid sounds pretty gross.

Get outta here with your bodyshaming :colbert:

JK!
May 10, 2007

EZ-PZ!
Last night, at the store I work at, Bohemian Rhapsody came on over the radio. The place was crowded, we were busy and if you can believe it, nobody cared. Not even a little.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

SammyWhereAreYou posted:

These posts where Nerd Girls prove their nerdiness to stupid boys by showing off their extensive knowledge of things girls aren't supposed to like are the most annoying posts in this thread to me.

I'm a 37 year-old woman who has been into sci-fi/fantasy, video games (including the kinds that are marketed to males) and metal since I was, like, 10 and I've never once been told by a guy that I must be lying about liking these things because girls don't like that stuff - even before nerd culture became as mainstream as it is today. The most reaction I've ever gotten is one of mild surprise. Rather than being talked down to about how girls don't like that stuff and being accused of lying about it, most guys seem to think it's cool and are excited to talk about our shared interest.

If these posts were written in the 80's or 90's they might be sometimes somewhat believable, but is anyone really shocked nowadays when a girl can quote Star Wars (a franchise that is about as mainstream as sci-fi gets)?

There was a lot of nerd rage about Sara Jean Underwood being a host for some tv video game show. "Wharblegarble she's just there to look good, isn't a real gam3r!" Her dad was a turbonerd engineer who worked for Intel way back in the day, and she grew up with her house chock full of computers and PC gaming.

Not that it matters anyway. It's not like you have to earn a black belt or PhD in something to enjoy it (video games, or otherwise)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danyull
Jan 16, 2011

JK! posted:

Last night, at the store I work at, Bohemian Rhapsody came on over the radio. The place was crowded, we were busy and if you can believe it, nobody cared. Not even a little.

Stop trying to bullshit us man, we all know at least one person started whispering along before the whole store joined in.

• Locked thread