Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Dohaeris posted:

I bought a bottle of Frank's Red Hot, unwrapped the little seal thing today and the bottle cap had apparently leaked a bit of hot sauce out. The black pop up cap is broken and there's a little dried sauce on the cap. Is this thing still safe to use?

Probably, I've never heard of a hot sauce ever turning bad before.

I have hot sauces that have changed in flavor, gotten weaker over the years maybe, but never unsafe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Dohaeris posted:

I bought a bottle of Frank's Red Hot, unwrapped the little seal thing today and the bottle cap had apparently leaked a bit of hot sauce out. The black pop up cap is broken and there's a little dried sauce on the cap. Is this thing still safe to use?

That stuff is vinegar based iirc, if so you're fine.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Steve Yun posted:

Probably, I've never heard of a hot sauce ever turning bad before.

I have hot sauces that have changed in flavor, gotten weaker over the years maybe, but never unsafe.

My parents once kept a giant bottle of Tapatio on the kitchen counter for so long that it grew cloudy grey mold deep in its center. YMMV

(I happened to be visiting and they hadn't noticed, it was still in use :gonk:)

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Chard posted:

My parents once kept a giant bottle of Tapatio on the kitchen counter for so long that it grew cloudy grey mold deep in its center. YMMV
It's unlikely that it was mold unless they'd been topping the bottle off with water or something like that. Impossible to tell without actually inspecting it, but from the description my guess is that they probably had some natural fermentation going on on the vegetable matter, given the colour and the location (submerged in the liquid instead of on the surface). Gross but harmless.

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
I got some 90/10 ground bison and some enormous marrow bones on super discount. I want to use them in concert to approximate this recipe:

http://aht.seriouseats.com/archives/2010/02/the-burger-lab-presenting-the-flood-burger.html?ref=search

My line of thinking is that the marrow will contribute moisture and flavor to an otherwise dry ground buffalo patty. Are my instincts off here? Do you guys have any other good ideas?

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

Dohaeris posted:

Stop stealing my hot sauce. That is the exact description of the bottle of franks that sits on the shelf behind me at work. I get the costco size so it lasts months.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Stalizard posted:

I got some 90/10 ground bison and some enormous marrow bones on super discount. I want to use them in concert to approximate this recipe:

http://aht.seriouseats.com/archives/2010/02/the-burger-lab-presenting-the-flood-burger.html?ref=search

My line of thinking is that the marrow will contribute moisture and flavor to an otherwise dry ground buffalo patty. Are my instincts off here? Do you guys have any other good ideas?

So that guy squished up some cooked patties in order to make his Flood-style burger? What do you do with the crushed meat from the sacrificial patties?

Are you just supposed to eat the meat like peanuts or add it to a taco salad or something? :ohdear:

By the way, that sounds amazing and I'm going to go pulverize some patties next week to try it. FLOOD!

by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007
theres nothing wrong with the word panties
I did a butchery course and I now have a shoulder of pork sitting in my fridge. What should I do with it? I've never cooked a big bit of meat before.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

by.a.teammate posted:

I did a butchery course and I now have a shoulder of pork sitting in my fridge. What should I do with it? I've never cooked a big bit of meat before.

I like to make a faux pulled pork with those. Caramelize a ton of onions and put it on the bottom of a Dutch oven, set the (peppered) pork butt on top of it, add some stock and put it on low heat covered for a few hours until you can shred it apart. I just shred it in the sauce/stock and then let it reduce/absorb a bit and I get some kind of stew. It's easy and freezes for days worths of meals. I also toss a couple of dried ghost peppers into the stock while it's cooking and throw them away when I'm shredding because I like spicy food.

by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007
theres nothing wrong with the word panties

Boris Galerkin posted:

I like to make a faux pulled pork with those. Caramelize a ton of onions and put it on the bottom of a Dutch oven, set the (peppered) pork butt on top of it, add some stock and put it on low heat covered for a few hours until you can shred it apart. I just shred it in the sauce/stock and then let it reduce/absorb a bit and I get some kind of stew. It's easy and freezes for days worths of meals. I also toss a couple of dried ghost peppers into the stock while it's cooking and throw them away when I'm shredding because I like spicy food.

mmm that sounds amazing, thanks!

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Can anyone think of a mass-quantity*, appetizer-type dish — preferably vegetarian and preferably not involving velveeta — that I could prepare and bring to a potluck?

*Up to 20 people. I have an 8-quart crock pot, for what it's worth.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Real Name Grover posted:

Can anyone think of a mass-quantity*, appetizer-type dish — preferably vegetarian and preferably not involving velveeta — that I could prepare and bring to a potluck?

Maybe one of these? http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3560976

Panzanella is always good.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Real Name Grover posted:

Make a shitload huge amount of fancy guacamole and homemade tortilla chips.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

dino. posted:

Honestly, by the time you've added all the spices that I do (and I do!) the flavour of butter is really not going to add much to the party. Like, if I'm making a roux with which to make a cream sauce, I'll generally use coconut milk as the creamy ingredient. The power of the coconut is going to override any subtle olive oil flavour big time.

Sorry Dino, but I disagree; furthermore only a vegan would say such a thing. And I cook with an OBSCENE volume of spices! Even if the dairy flavors get drowned out a little, butter ALWAYS adds richness and flavor to a dish.

The GF has tried to convince me that coconut products are an acceptable replacement for ghee and lard. I 50% agree/disagree with this: it makes an excellent replacement for consistency and texture, but you just can't hide that distinct coconut flavor. To me, that flavor really stands out in vegan baked goods, but I suppose if you don't mind everything tasting like coconut, it's not a problem.

gently caress beer, Butter is proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy.

Squashy Nipples fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Aug 15, 2013

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

Aramoro posted:

Panzanella is always good.

Bingo — that's a great idea. Thanks :respek:

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Squashy Nipples posted:

Sorry Dino, but I disagree; furthermore only a vegan would say such a thing. And I cook with an OBSCENE volume of spices! Even if the dairy flavors get drowned out a little, butter ALWAYS adds richness and flavor to a dish.

The GF has tried to convince me that coconut products are an acceptable replacement for ghee and lard. I 50% agree/disagree with this: it makes an excellent replacement for consistency and texture, but you just can't hide that distinct coconut flavor. To me, that flavor really stands out in vegan baked goods, but I suppose if you don't mind everything tasting like coconut, it's not a problem.

I'm South Indian, papi. Everything tastes like coconut to begin with. XD

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Sous vide question-any suggestions for marinading meat? Can I mix up a batch of marinade and freeze in ice cubes and add one to each bagged piece of meat?

I'm trying to get better about buying bulk meat and individually packaging it up for quick and easy weeknight s-v meals.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

BraveUlysses posted:

Sous vide question-any suggestions for marinading meat? Can I mix up a batch of marinade and freeze in ice cubes and add one to each bagged piece of meat?

I'm trying to get better about buying bulk meat and individually packaging it up for quick and easy weeknight s-v meals.

That's actually the preferred method of adding liquid to the bag if you don't have a chamber sealer.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

dino. posted:

I'm South Indian, papi. Everything tastes like coconut to begin with. XD

LOL, fair enough.

And I was perhaps a BIT harsh on coconut fat; I have eaten vegan baked goods that were just as good as the very best dairy ones. In other foods, though, it's a lot harder to hide.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
I have a 10lb pork shoulder in my freezer. How do I defrost this big ol' thing?

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
I am about to embark on making a DIY sous vide and was just wondering if anyone has done this before.

I am looking to use http://seattlefoodgeek.com/2010/02/diy-sous-vide-heating-immersion-circulator-for-about-75/ as my base but want to make it modular to avoid having to rewire if I blow out a heating element or something. Does anyone know of a good resource to check to see if this has been done before? I figure my first electronics project should involve outlet strength electricity and water so this seems a good candidate.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

PaganGoatPants posted:

I have a 10lb pork shoulder in my freezer. How do I defrost this big ol' thing?

Put it in the fridge in a bowl, covered, for 2 days.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Squashy Nipples posted:

I have a sudden urge to made beer butter. Reduce the beer, maybe mix into some onions and breadcrumbs, cool and blend into butter maybe?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

baquerd posted:

I have a sudden urge to made beer butter. Reduce the beer, maybe mix into some onions and breadcrumbs, cool and blend into butter maybe?

Make butter beer instead. Use less sugar, though, if you actually do this. :shepicide:

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

GrAviTy84 posted:

Put it in the fridge in a bowl, covered, for 2 days.

Would this work for frozen ham too??

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Drifter posted:

Make butter beer instead. Use less sugar, though, if you actually do this. :shepicide:

This recipe seriously add a cup of brown sugar to 4 12-oz bottles of cream soda.

Holy gently caress.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

Kenning posted:

This recipe seriously add a cup of brown sugar to 4 12-oz bottles of cream soda.

Holy gently caress.

Holy poo poo hahahaha. That's like that pad thai recipe that was on the gws wiki :shepface:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

THE MACHO MAN posted:

Would this work for frozen ham too??

Works well with anything frozen. Water bath will thaw anything much much faster than doing so on the counter or just sitting in the fridge due to thermal conductivity of water.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

BraveUlysses posted:

Works well with anything frozen. Water bath will thaw anything much much faster than doing so on the counter or just sitting in the fridge due to thermal conductivity of water.

yes, but the problem with a water bath is that unless its vacuum packed the result is waterlogged meat. Also thawing slowly helps the meatjuices equilibrate through the muscle.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Stupid question about stew meats and flavor. I made a stew using a chuck roast that I cubed and browned beforehand and the broth and whatnot tastes great but the meat is kinda flavorless on its own. The meat is nice and tender but seems to just be missing its 'meatiness'.

Is there a way to prevent that? I just figured stew beef was stew beef and chuck was a decent type of it. :shrug:

Should I have flavored and spiced it while I was browning the meat, instead of just adding the spices directly to the broth?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Drifter posted:

Stupid question about stew meats and flavor. I made a stew using a chuck roast that I cubed and browned beforehand and the broth and whatnot tastes great but the meat is kinda flavorless on its own. The meat is nice and tender but seems to just be missing its 'meatiness'.

Is there a way to prevent that? I just figured stew beef was stew beef and chuck was a decent type of it. :shrug:

Should I have flavored and spiced it while I was browning the meat, instead of just adding the spices directly to the broth?

Did you let the stew cool and rest before serving? Similar to steak, when you braise/stew things a lot of poo poo happens such that if you eat it right away it will just end up sad. If you let it rest overnight, the gelatin re sets and the liquids equilibrate through the meat and when you reheat it all it is super delicious. This is why stews and soups are "better the next day" or so everyone likes to say. Another added bonus of this is that serving temperature is lower than gelatin melting temperature so if you braised your oxtails, shortribs, whatever and served right away they would just disintegrate, but if you braise them chill them in their liquid then reheat, they will be fork tender but hold their shape on the plate. Works great for braised then seared stuff.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Grav you used the word "equilibrate" twice in two posts, and I didn't even think it was a real verb. Props.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

The Midniter posted:

Grav you used the word "equilibrate" twice in two posts, and I didn't even think it was a real verb. Props.

Equilibrate is a perfectly cromulent word.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Equilibrate is a perfectly cromulent word.

Well there's a word I haven't heard in a long time :)

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Doh004 posted:

Well there's a word I haven't heard in a long time :)

He embiggened you with knowledge.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

GrAviTy84 posted:

yes, but the problem with a water bath is that unless its vacuum packed the result is waterlogged meat. Also thawing slowly helps the meatjuices equilibrate through the muscle.

Uh, do people regularly put meat straight into the fridge without first putting it into a ziploc bag? I realize not everyone vacuum packs everything but...

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Is a round eye beef roast the same cut as a top side beef roast? The round eye being American and Top side being English

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

The Midniter posted:

I'm a physicist, lol. We use that word all the time.

BraveUlysses posted:

Uh, do people regularly put meat straight into the fridge without first putting it into a ziploc bag? I realize not everyone vacuum packs everything but...

Nah I use plastic wrap sometimes, if its a big enough piece of meat, the direct contact with the meat really helps fight off freezer burn. Also, I still get holes and leaks with even heavy duty freezer bags so...shrug.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Scott Bakula posted:

Is a round eye beef roast the same cut as a top side beef roast? The round eye being American and Top side being English
Kinda. They're from the same area of the animal (the rear end), but the fabrication is different. Topside and silverside are basically front to back vertical sections through the rearmost portion of the rear end (the rump being just fore of them, roughly around the pelvic girdle), while US fabrication basically bisects the rear end top to bottom with the bottom becoming the `tip' cuts, and the upper part becoming the rump and round cuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

SubG posted:

Kinda. They're from the same area of the animal (the rear end), but the fabrication is different. Topside and silverside are basically front to back vertical sections through the rearmost portion of the rear end (the rump being just fore of them, roughly around the pelvic girdle), while US fabrication basically bisects the rear end top to bottom with the bottom becoming the `tip' cuts, and the upper part becoming the rump and round cuts.

Thats fine, means my cooking plan is good for it. Thanks