Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.

Ham posted:

Anyone try out the customizer DLC yet? Seems really excessive at $5 and the Paradox Forums are saying it doesn't even work unless you opt into the Steam Client beta.

Well, to be fair, the entire 1.11 patch has become something of a fiasco.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

WilliamAnderson posted:

Since the latest update (1.11) stopped boat stupidity, I believe we've decided to let reformed Norse still have raiding, because they're no longer unbeatable as they loot around.

To confirm: Reformed Norse raiding isn't in CK2+ as of this patch?

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Reformed Norse can raid in the current CK2+ patch.

Also, even though the new CK2+ devs haven't taken a stab at the converter, it's probably worth giving a try - when I patched CK2+ from my tweaked copy of the final Wiz release to this one (though I left out the landed_titles changes and other things I knew would break my save) the converter worked on my Persia save without any apparent hitches.

Mugwump
Apr 13, 2004

I offered to pay $60 million for 5 years of this avatar but was turned down

Orv posted:

Just a heads up about a discussion a couple pages back; If you want to continue playing mods on a Steam version of CK2, right-click the game in your library, Properties, Updates, Do not automatically update this game.

I don't think that worked for this patch. I had done just what you said a week ago because I knew a patch was coming and would break my GoT mod. Day of the patch I launch the game to play and it started the update with no option to stop it. Now I have to play the waiting game.

Archaeology Hat
Aug 10, 2009
Will my pre-patch save work with the latest version of CK2+ or should I be firing up a new game?

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Mugwump posted:

I don't think that worked for this patch. I had done just what you said a week ago because I knew a patch was coming and would break my GoT mod. Day of the patch I launch the game to play and it started the update with no option to stop it. Now I have to play the waiting game.

Yeah AFAIK you need to copy CK2 to another folder somewhere else and launch it outside of Steam to stop it from auto-updating.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Archaeology Hat posted:

Will my pre-patch save work with the latest version of CK2+ or should I be firing up a new game?

The new CK2+ patch isn't save compatible.

edit: I'm not a dev, I just know it isn't save compatible because I spent an hour or two digging through WinMerge to see what it changed because I wanted very much to keep my save.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Aug 15, 2013

Archaeology Hat
Aug 10, 2009

Dallan Invictus posted:

Ah well. I had a good one going. Still, at least it's working now and the new team seem to be heading in a direction I agree with with regards to the mod.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Yeah AFAIK you need to copy CK2 to another folder somewhere else and launch it outside of Steam to stop it from auto-updating.
If you can afford to not run Steam at all - i.e. if CK2 is the only Steam game you are currently playing - you can also just launch the executable directly.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Dallan Invictus posted:

I thought all it broke was traits? Sure, you may end up with rulers with wildly different traits than they had, but in a generation it should fix itself.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The new game patch only breaks traits. The new CK2+ patch changes traits, landed titles, and (depending on which version you were using last) a few other things that I suspect will also break saves.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
So what's the rationale behind having to wait 5 years in between county conquests in CK2+ other than "gently caress you player, you're not allowed to expand"?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

1stGear posted:

So what's the rationale behind having to wait 5 years in between county conquests in CK2+ other than "gently caress you player, you're not allowed to expand"?

Part of a general bunch of nerfs for pagans, since they steamrolled everyone and made them particularly monstrous against OPMs. Otherwise you can unite Ireland in like a decade or something equally as crazy.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

toasterwarrior posted:

Part of a general bunch of nerfs for pagans, since they steamrolled everyone and made them particularly monstrous against OPMs. Otherwise you can unite Ireland in like a decade or something equally as crazy.

In contrast, I'm now looking at 10 years minimum before I can so much as form the Jarldom of Vestlandet as Haraldr Fairhair, much less create Norway as a whole. Add in not being able to launch subjugation wars and I'm almost certainly not going to be able to get enough Holy Sites to reform the Norse Faith, so basically paganism is hosed and I may as well convert to Catholicism now.

I'll agree that the pagans need some nerfs, but having to wait 5 years between conquering single counties is ridiculous and has completely killed my desire to play CK2+.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
Don't play CK2 then.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
CK2+ is mostly oriented towards extending the CK2 experience to last the whole full 586 years from 867 - 1453. In Vanilla, even when I'm not trying very hard, I managed to become the Holy Roman Empire, institute Agnatic Ultimogeniture, make my son an Antipope, install him as Pope, making the Papacy my vassal, conquer Hispania, much of Northern Africa, and Jerusalem, turn virtually every non-Norse realm in Western Europe Lollard, and unite with the Byzantine Empire, all by around 1200 or so.

Mostly I was just dicking around, rather than aiming for world conquest, but the ease with which one can expand in Vanilla makes it a matter of course within the first 300 years.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Yeah most of the CK2+ changes are just to slow everything down so you don't create a mega empire within 100 years and then have nothing to do until 1453.

Going to abandon my current vanilla Ivar game and get back into CK2+. Though I did have the most hilarious collapse thanks to gavelkind. Ivar died king of Scots and ruled most of Ireland, my next two kings lasted less than 4 years each, then the next guy got kicked off the throne by one of his many powerful uncles. An Irish revolt with 6k event troops took advantage of the civil war and now the kingdom of Mega-Ireland rules most of western Scotland.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

So what are good mods to port to EU4 with? I assume the province changes in CK2+ make it a pain.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.
I enjoyed CK2+ in the pre-TOG days, but for someone who's seen every event chain 100+ times now, well.... the problem with CK2+ arbitrarily slowing the game down is that all that downtime is just filled with... downtime... where you're impatiently waiting to resume your conquests.

Which is why I keep wishing that they'd do an entire DLC that adds nothing but flavor events for the various cultures and religions. I swear, if that courtier says anything about a suspicious looking cookie one goddamned more time...

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Leb posted:

I enjoyed CK2+ in the pre-TOG days, but for someone who's seen every event chain 100+ times now, well.... the problem with CK2+ arbitrarily slowing the game down is that all that downtime is just filled with... downtime... where you're impatiently waiting to resume your conquests.

Which is why I keep wishing that they'd do an entire DLC that adds nothing but flavor events for the various cultures and religions. I swear, if that courtier says anything about a suspicious looking cookie one goddamned more time...

The VIET event pack is compatible with just about everything from what I've read. I haven't started a game with it yet, but that is basically what it does.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
From a gameplay standpoint are the Byzantines easier to play starting from 867 or 1066? I know you won't have the Sejuks earlier on but there is a united Bulgarian Empire so?

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Aug 15, 2013

Belasarius
Feb 27, 2002
I used to think Norse were the most powerful religion (especially for that sweet 1/10000000 boat fee) but now I'm thinking Zoroastrian for the long term. Eugenics and opinion bonuses. I started up a Merv game and it went really well. I schemed electoral succession in Khiva and then also made him give up the kingship to me. Unfortunately there was a civil war really quickly afterwards anyway. 16ish years later I'm well on my way to the Persian Empire at about 55% right now but my mercenary armies are mostly exhausted after conquering the last Saffarid province. I'll probably have to wait for/try to engineer an Abbasid crisis because they have a huge amount of troops and I can't withstand a long holy war that the sunnis will all join in.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

From a gameplay standpoint are the Byzantines easier to play starting from 867 or 1066? I know you won't have the Sejuks earlier on but there is a united Bulgarian Empire so?

867, probably, the Muslims start TOG pretty fractured, and won't be able to Jihad you for a long time yet. Further, most of your de jure empire is still fractured in 867, meaning faster conquest.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

PrinceRandom posted:

The VIET event pack is compatible with just about everything from what I've read. I haven't started a game with it yet, but that is basically what it does.

Yeah, I liked VIET well enough and it was certainly more polished than the Prince and the Thane, but in the end, it was still pretty rough to the point that I found it distracting.

Though, granted, I haven't tried it in awhile...

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Leb posted:

Yeah I feel like the "problem" with vanilla is not that the game doesn't have enough arbitrary limits on how fast you can expand, but that there's too little meaningful repercussions for over expansion. Stability is overall too easy to maintain and thus it's too easy to make big giant empires.

Unfortunately part of that problem may just be down to the AI not being smart enough to plan a proper fight for independence. And some other parts seem to come down to the fact that there are things the player can do to 'game' the systems heavily in his favor.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Rejected Fate posted:

So what are good mods to port to EU4 with? I assume the province changes in CK2+ make it a pain.
The export bases EU4 provincial control upon titles rather than province IDs, so if the county titles haven't been changed, then in theory it should still work. Dunno for sure yet, haven't actually tried converting.

e: "Export Game" is grayed out for CK2+. Huh.

Ofaloaf fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Aug 15, 2013

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Yeah I feel like the "problem" with vanilla is not that the game doesn't have enough arbitrary limits on how fast you can expand, but that there's too little meaningful repercussions for over expansion. Stability is overall too easy to maintain and thus it's too easy to make big giant empires.

Well, except for those incessant peasant revolts, all of which are doomed to fail from the moment of their inception but nonetheless require you to raise your levies and then play ping-pong with their armies as they gleefully flee the scene of their treachery. While this doesn't constitute a mechanical constraint on expansion, it certainly does test the patience of the player.

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Unfortunately part of that problem may just be down to the AI not being smart enough to plan a proper fight for independence. And some other parts seem to come down to the fact that there are things the player can do to 'game' the systems heavily in his favor.

Yeah, and this was the biggest reason why you could conquer the entire map in about 150 years or so as a pagan. The game was clearly balanced around the ways that Catholics have to expand, both in terms of timeframe and mechanics.

1) The Become King ambition will net you an entire kingdom worth of wars as quickly as you can declare them (compare this to the standard Ireland tutorial start)
2) Then your (now thankfully) one-time subjugation can net you an entire second kingdom if you time it well (compare this to the hassles AI kings will give you for trying to marry for their claims, then needing to wait a generation or two for this to come to fruition)
3) Then the county conquest can let you mop up any remaining holy sites (compare this to how long it can take to fabricate a single claim)
4) Then you get to holy war people, which at this point for all intents and purposes is pretty much the entire map (as opposed to just Africa and the Middle East)
5) And then if you STILL haven't conquered everything, eventually your ability to declare great holy wars will kick in (rather than having to hope the Pope will eventually declare one that you want at some point)

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Ofaloaf posted:

The export bases EU4 provincial control upon titles rather than province IDs, so if the county titles haven't been changed, then in theory it should still work. Dunn for sure yet, haven't actually tried converting.

I've tried converting a CK2+ game (well, it's mostly CK2+) and it seems to work just fine. I didn't get time to actually play the EU4 mod and the conversion would probably benefit from some tweaking, there are no missing provinces or crashes or whatever.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Leb posted:

Well, except for those incessant peasant revolts, all of which are doomed to fail from the moment of their inception but nonetheless require you to raise your levies and then play ping-pong with their armies as they gleefully flee the scene of their treachery. While this doesn't constitute a mechanical constraint on expansion, it certainly does test the patience of the player.

The game I mentioned when we were discussing file size bloat was a trying thing for a lot of it. I wouldn't have even played that long but the Ummayids and the Abbasids refused to break up in turmoil for almost 400 years, at least permanently. During all that waiting, whenever I decided to go warring to give myself more interesting EU4 borders the revolts would always crop up the minute my retinue stack left Africa. :argh:

Bloody Pancreas
Feb 21, 2008

How do you guys usually marry your heirs? I tend to gravitate towards peasant eugenics, marrying my heirs the women with good inheritable traits like quick or genius (not sure if this is inheritable). This leaves me ignoring marrying with high nobility and many of those lovely alliances. If you're not hurting for an alliance, is it fine to just marry like I do?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

1stGear posted:

Uh, county conquest at-will is crazy overpowered? Basically whenever any of your neighbours gets weaker than you for any reason (say, because they just fought a war and are out of levies), zomg free province (and all the baronies in it)!!! You didn't notice that while playing vanilla TOG?

Though that only becomes apparent once you're a mid-sized fish who can snag up weakened petty lords with no trouble, so if you still have to form a jarldom those snags might not be as trivial. But again, in vanilla you should have noticed, I think.

e:

Bloody Pancreas posted:

How do you guys usually marry your heirs? I tend to gravitate towards peasant eugenics, marrying my heirs the women with good inheritable traits like quick or genius (not sure if this is inheritable). This leaves me ignoring marrying with high nobility and many of those lovely alliances. If you're not hurting for an alliance, is it fine to just marry like I do?

Any trait drawn inside a heart is genetic and inheritable, though with a Mendelian chance. Personally I don't enjoy playing that lottery and prefer to just pick up wives that will shore up whatever my heir's weaknesses are, usually diplomacy or stewardship.

Unless there's an unmarried ruler not too far away who's willing to agree to a patrilineal marriage, of course. Princesses and other good alliance links are what the cadet sons are for.

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Aug 15, 2013

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:
Having played an unbroken line of genius, attractive, strongmen thanks to early luck it's not really that big of an advantage over taking smart, tactical marriages. The only thing of note is that I've very scarcely had problems with factions because everyone adores their uberking/uberqueen. I'd probably have expanded faster if went down the power marriage route, however.

That said, I imagine if you were playing a dynasty with access to broader CBs like certain pagan options you'd probably be best off going with a good eugenics program because it's not like you need claims when you can just roar 'dibs.'

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

I'm just getting off my feet in my first solid CK2 game (yay for King Haraldr Fairhair and his stupendously amazing son Halfdan), and I've got a few questions.

First, when it comes to retinues, which are the best? I've generally been avoiding the one with light infantry, and picking up a mix of heavy infantry, archers, and the cavalry one, but I'm not sure how important pikement/archers are to that, or if it's better to just stack all heavy infantry (or if it just doesn't matter at all and they're so good I should just take all of them).

Second, I've got an issue with one of my duchies. I'm Jarl of Ostandet and Sjaelland, which is only 6 counties to hold in my desmene. I'd like to get that up to 8 or 9, but I don't know if there's a penalty for having counties without controlling the corresponding duchy.

I've also randomly picked up the Jarldom of Jylland and ownership of Holstein and Hamborg, probably because I stole it from the old King of Denmark, and his heir is currently holding a single county in Wales... Which means I have three options I'd like to do, but don't know if any work. 1) Can I somehow pull those two counties out of the Petty Kingdom of Holstein and put them in the Duchy of Sjaelland? (Holstein's held by that lone jerk off in Wales) 2) Is it worth picking someone random to be the new count of Holstein/Hamborg and/or Duke of Jylland? 3) Is there an easy way to strip the Dukedom of Holstein off that random jerk off in the wilderness?

Third, how do you pick good counties to claim in your desmene, and how do you prioritize improving them with buildings? I've been building up a lot of cash from raiding, and primarily funneling it into buildings and retinues (there don't seem to be many other cash sinks, besides bribing people, and I don't need to do much bribing because my diplo is high and I have a huge army). Are particular buildings better than others? I'm also finally getting to the amount of cash where I can contemplate building new holdings in some of my counties. Is that at all worth it?

EDIT:
Fourth, is it worth figuring out how to take the titles of holdings within my counties? Or should I just stick to the county title?

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

jpmeyer posted:

Yeah, and this was the biggest reason why you could conquer the entire map in about 150 years or so as a pagan. The game was clearly balanced around the ways that Catholics have to expand, both in terms of timeframe and mechanics.

1) The Become King ambition will net you an entire kingdom worth of wars as quickly as you can declare them (compare this to the standard Ireland tutorial start)
2) Then your (now thankfully) one-time subjugation can net you an entire second kingdom if you time it well (compare this to the hassles AI kings will give you for trying to marry for their claims, then needing to wait a generation or two for this to come to fruition)
3) Then the county conquest can let you mop up any remaining holy sites (compare this to how long it can take to fabricate a single claim)
4) Then you get to holy war people, which at this point for all intents and purposes is pretty much the entire map (as opposed to just Africa and the Middle East)
5) And then if you STILL haven't conquered everything, eventually your ability to declare great holy wars will kick in (rather than having to hope the Pope will eventually declare one that you want at some point)

Yeah but in a way its just as easy if not more so to expand as a Muslim. The only difference really is that Muslims cant invade each other but they could still easily steamroll the rest of the map.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

HenessyHero posted:

Having played an unbroken line of genius, attractive, strongmen thanks to early luck it's not really that big of an advantage over taking smart, tactical marriages. The only thing of note is that I've very scarcely had problems with factions because everyone adores their uberking/uberqueen. I'd probably have expanded faster if went down the power marriage route, however.

Yes, eugenics doesn't help that much really. Some of my most successful rulers have had terrible stats/traits.

HenessyHero posted:

That said, I imagine if you were playing a dynasty with access to broader CBs like certain pagan options you'd probably be best off going with a good eugenics program because it's not like you need claims when you can just roar 'dibs.'

Plus as a pagan there are a lot less potential marriage alliances to choose from, since there are unlikely to be more than a handful of kingdoms for each pagan faith.

TheBlackRoija
May 6, 2008
So I'm trying to run the "tweaked titles" mod posted earlier in this thread with the new patch, but I get a bunch of blank event pop-ups (no text, no button to close them and they come 6 at a time)
Its the only mod I'm using, and it doesn't happen without it on
Traits seem to be referred to by name rather than number in the file, so maybe its because of the change to modding landed_titles?

Either way does anybody know of a fix?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Arcturas posted:

First, when it comes to retinues, which are the best? I've generally been avoiding the one with light infantry, and picking up a mix of heavy infantry, archers, and the cavalry one, but I'm not sure how important pikement/archers are to that, or if it's better to just stack all heavy infantry (or if it just doesn't matter at all and they're so good I should just take all of them).
The impression I get is that CK2 players fall into two camps: those who don't care about war strategy and go "bigger = better", and those who actually learn how battles work and end up installing some mod like Better Armies to make them work more sensibly. The first camp also seems to be a lot more popular.

quote:

Second, I've got an issue with one of my duchies. I'm Jarl of Ostandet and Sjaelland, which is only 6 counties to hold in my desmene. I'd like to get that up to 8 or 9, but I don't know if there's a penalty for having counties without controlling the corresponding duchy.
Not directly, but the duke ruling over those counties will have a de jure casus belli against you. Unless he's your vassal, then he'll become pissed and ask for his county back instead.

quote:

I've also randomly picked up the Jarldom of Jylland and ownership of Holstein and Hamborg, probably because I stole it from the old King of Denmark, and his heir is currently holding a single county in Wales... Which means I have three options I'd like to do, but don't know if any work. 1) Can I somehow pull those two counties out of the Petty Kingdom of Holstein and put them in the Duchy of Sjaelland? (Holstein's held by that lone jerk off in Wales) 2) Is it worth picking someone random to be the new count of Holstein/Hamborg and/or Duke of Jylland? 3) Is there an easy way to strip the Dukedom of Holstein off that random jerk off in the wilderness?

1) No. Empires and kingdoms may "drift" to match their de facto borders after a hundred years, but dukedoms (which Petty Kingdoms are) are immutable.

2) Well, do you like those provinces? I.e. are they rich, or strategically important for your plans? If you don't, find a good vassal

3) Once you control 51% of the counties that make up the dukedom you'll be able to Usurp the title, much like how you create one.

quote:

Third, how do you pick good counties to claim in your desmene,
Number of barony/city/temple slots is the biggest indicator. Then, hover over each of those holdings to see their Base Tax value.

quote:

and how do you prioritize improving them with buildings?
Money first, troops second (except perhaps light infantry), walls third.

quote:

I'm also finally getting to the amount of cash where I can contemplate building new holdings in some of my counties. Is that at all worth it?
Yes.

quote:

EDIT:Fourth, is it worth figuring out how to take the titles of holdings within my counties? Or should I just stick to the county title?
Only keep the county titles. You'll get money from barons/mayors/bishops in the secondary holdings, and those vassals hardly ever cause trouble, while counts often do.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
How do I safely dispose of the Golden Horde title? As elective Persian Empire, I managed to maneuver a member of my dynasty into inheriting the Horde and then set him up as my heir. Now I have two empire level titles and it's giving me the 'elector titles held' penalty to relations. So what will happen if I just give the Golden Horde title to someone? Will any territory pass from my realm? Can I give it to anyone or only to a king?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

grate deceiver posted:

How do I safely dispose of the Golden Horde title? As elective Persian Empire, I managed to maneuver a member of my dynasty into inheriting the Horde and then set him up as my heir. Now I have two empire level titles and it's giving me the 'elector titles held' penalty to relations. So what will happen if I just give the Golden Horde title to someone? Will any territory pass from my realm? Can I give it to anyone or only to a king?

I do not think it is that you have 2 empires that give you the elector titles held malus. You usually get that one from holding more than 1 de jure title within an empire, for example 2 kingdoms or 2 duchies that are de jure in your empire. Each de jure title within an empire gives you 1 vote, if you hold more then one you get more votes, which people usually don't like.

Lets say I'm the Byzantine emperor and have elective, if I were to have 2 ducal titles or for example Greece and Anatolia kingdom titles then I would get that malus.

• Locked thread