Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

Arstotska best country for sure!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008
Ha ha you funny guy! But you do your job well. I come back with right papers.

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.
The border guard character is simultaneously amazing and a colossal dickhead.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Does anyone not own the entire D&D collection by now? Only thing I don't have is NWN2 complete, because I have NWN2 on Steam (and I am missing some mod, I know), but got the rest. And plan to play ToEE some day. Some day...

beef express
Sep 7, 2005

The highest technique is to have no technique.

Convex posted:

I'm just playing through the first main campaign in Arma 2: CO and it honestly feels like the dev team asked their 12 year old children to write the script and do all the voice acting.

Also the very first scripted event in the entire campaign, in which a Russian soldier is shot by a sniper, did not have the intended emotional impact due to him being completely invisible. Seconds later, I was shot by a tank and immediately catapulted into the stratosphere.

Despite all this, I'm still having fun.

The campaign is hit-and-miss mostly, and incredibly buggy. I don't think to this day I've got past "Manhattan" and I've had it since release. The expansions are slightly better but still act more as a showcase of what the engine can do. If you just want to dip into the game without hassling with multiplayer/learning ACE etc I'd recommend getting the Flashpoint missions which are far more fun than they've any right to be.

beef express fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Aug 15, 2013

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
If you want a well-designed and fun campaign for Arma 2...

http://cwr2.arma2.fr/about-cwr2

Sackmo
Oct 13, 2004

beef express posted:

...I'd recommend getting the Flashpoint missions which are far more fun than they've any right to be.

Nenonen posted:

If you want a well-designed and fun campaign for Arma 2...

http://cwr2.arma2.fr/about-cwr2

Thanks for these. I've been playing around with Arma 2 quite a bit since the steam sale, but multiplayer really doesn't interest me that much. If you guys know of any other good single player packs/mods I would love to have them pointed out. I've been having trouble sorting through Armaholic on my own.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit

BadAstronaut posted:

And plan to play ToEE some day. Some day...

Do it! The Co8 people recently released a new version, so now's a great time to jump in. I say this every time someone mentions ToEE, but it's some of the best turn-based combat around.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

BadAstronaut posted:

Does anyone not own the entire D&D collection by now? Only thing I don't have is NWN2 complete, because I have NWN2 on Steam (and I am missing some mod, I know), but got the rest. And plan to play ToEE some day. Some day...

I have a friend that I was supposed to gift the entire collection to, except "nah give it to someone else, I prefer JRPGs"

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
Which is the best D&D game(s) to get if you're a complete beginner? I have none of them.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

Which is the best D&D game(s) to get if you're a complete beginner? I have none of them.

Probably Baldur's Gate 2 if you want something from that era, Neverwinter 2 if you want something newer.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I stand by IceWind Dale 1. Though I'm a retarded masochist.

No real story, just make a party, go forth and die!

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

Oddly enough I'm fairly certain Planescape is the least mechanically rigorous (have a high Wis, Int, Cha and be a wizard), although it is very not D&D in other ways (such as not being mechanically rigorous). You can't die, combat is mostly pointless, and most of the important gameplay is through dialogue and various stat checks (you did make a character with a high Wis, right?). It does also happen to be the best D&D game, though!

Baldur's Gate is probably the most general D&D experience, but it still doesn't explain a whole lot of its mechanics, which might be unintuitive, such as a lower AC being better. Depending on how well you intuit, though, such as noticing that equipping chainmail lowers AC when before all you had was leather, it might be okay.

Icewind Dale is pure mechanics since it's pretty much a dungeon crawl.

The third edition games, NWN, NWN2, ToEE and IWD2, have easier to understand mechanics, but character creation/customization is more rigorous, since you have to worry about things like feats and such. You will likely not stumble upon the ~optimal build~ the first time, whereas in the 2nd edition games, your optimal build for your Fighter is equipping him with his best weapon and the best armor and having him go kick some mages in the face (after said mages have been Breach'ed).

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

The General posted:

That's the magic of the game. Not all the areas are great, but it's a good tactical combat test for the infinity engine.

Sarkozymandias
May 25, 2010

THAT'S SYOUS D'RAVEN

The General posted:

It has really good atmosphere and I will always love it + writing intricate character backstories nobody else would ever see.

Also be real here. You must gather your party before venturing forth and die.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I only have Planescape and Neverwinter Nights 2 for Mask of the Betrayer and I got them for the storytelling. I actually don't like old WRPG combat, I find it really boring, slow, and needlessly convoluted.

Sarkozymandias
May 25, 2010

THAT'S SYOUS D'RAVEN

To be fair to IWD1, the combat won't kill you as much as weird traps and diseases will IIRC.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Yet the levels are designed to have cures for those diseases available if you explore enough.

Sarkozymandias
May 25, 2010

THAT'S SYOUS D'RAVEN

The only cure for mummy rot is more mummies.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I've become too accustomed to party members and the PC just being unconscious when their health drops to zero... RPGs of old are mighty intimidating with their perma-death and costly resurrection shenanigans. :ohdear:

I tend to get a character editor and make myself OP just to experience the stories without worry. :buddy:

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Deakul posted:

I've become too accustomed to party members and the PC just being unconscious when their health drops to zero... RPGs of old are mighty intimidating with their perma-death and costly resurrection shenanigans. :ohdear:

I tend to get a character editor and make myself OP just to experience the stories without worry. :buddy:

Icewind Dale is about doing Ironman runs where you re-roll people who die and see how long it takes before you're a single level 6 guy surrounded by useless level 1 rejects.

Hidden Asbestos
Nov 24, 2003
[placeholder]
http://www.gog.com/work#lead_software_engineer

This, to me, looks like they're at least considering developing something tasty. Guessing here but maybe they're developing a Steam-like client (actually more like Desura or something equally "optional") an in-game overlay type thing and/or multiplayer back-end?

A MP back-end / API thing would be good for them. They could provide a way for their clients to release products that didn't have those features cut out (due to a conflict of interest with Steam) and hell, while I'm dreaming, they could use it to reinstate MP in older titles that have had official support stopped.

Or maybe it's just a GOG downloader maintenance guy :iiam:

edit nvm, reading again and this is more likely job at CD Projekt RED. They should still totally do this though.

Hidden Asbestos fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Aug 16, 2013

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs is available for Pre-Order now at -%20 (aka $15.99!!!). Get Hype!

http://www.gog.com/game/amnesia_a_machine_for_pigs

XenoCrab
Mar 30, 2012

XenoCrab is the least important character in the Alien movie franchise. He's not even in the top ten characters.

WASDF posted:

Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs is available for Pre-Order now at -%20 (aka $15.99!!!). Get Hype!

http://www.gog.com/game/amnesia_a_machine_for_pigs

It looks really cool, but it's going to be hard to play while I'm hiding under my bed.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
OK, this is going to sound like a really stupid question, but how exactly do you download updates for your games?

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

Jamesman posted:

OK, this is going to sound like a really stupid question, but how exactly do you download updates for your games?

Going to the site you will get an announcement that there is a new update, then you find the game with the update in your library (it is a tiny text announcement that can be hard to find) then you download the update either through the internet browser or the gog downloader then you install it. Like that.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Luisfe posted:

Going to the site you will get an announcement that there is a new update, then you find the game with the update in your library (it is a tiny text announcement that can be hard to find) then you download the update either through the internet browser or the gog downloader then you install it. Like that.

The problems I'm having are my account will sometimes say there are updates to some games (like a +1 or +2 shows up), but then there aren't any updates being shown in my library. If there ARE, there are no updated files to download and install, so do I just redownload the entire game again?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Jamesman posted:

The problems I'm having are my account will sometimes say there are updates to some games (like a +1 or +2 shows up), but then there aren't any updates being shown in my library. If there ARE, there are no updated files to download and install, so do I just redownload the entire game again?
Here's what my games library looks like when there is an update:

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
The first two things you circled are sometimes available, but the universal update thing has only ever shown up, to my recollection, with Hotline Miami. It wasn't part of an update notice.

Braking Gnus
Oct 13, 2012

Jamesman posted:

The first two things you circled are sometimes available, but the universal update thing has only ever shown up, to my recollection, with Hotline Miami. It wasn't part of an update notice.

The game update isn't always a patch. It could have added a Mac version, or some new bonus content.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Figures that I would buy Hammerwatch on Steam and then GOG comes out with it a week later for less money.

Does anyone have any experience with Thunderscape, the other new release from this morning? That type of old-school party RPG usually goes into my collection tout de suite, but this time I thought that I would ask before pissing away another $6.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
When was AoW3 announced? Today?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5GlUzKwico

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Several months ago. Maybe beginning of the year. I can't loving wait, it's rare we get fantasy 4X games. The Heroes series is more about army management than kingdom and I don't want to give Stardock any money so I'm putting all my money on AoW3.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

al-azad posted:

Several months ago. Maybe beginning of the year. I can't loving wait, it's rare we get fantasy 4X games. The Heroes series is more about army management than kingdom and I don't want to give Stardock any money so I'm putting all my money on AoW3.

The gameplay trailers look pretty awesome. Seriously I like the attention to detail they've put into units. I can't wait to see the fully fleshed out product.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Rinkles posted:

When was AoW3 announced? Today?

A couple months back. The original AoW developers wanted to make it, but didn't have the funds. And then Notch came along and bankrolled the whole thing, so that's pretty loving awesome and I hope it at least breaks even.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I didn't know that was courtesy of Notch. Nice. He got a bit of a black eye "reneging" on Psychonauts 2.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

teethgrinder posted:

I didn't know that was courtesy of Notch. Nice. He got a bit of a black eye "reneging" on Psychonauts 2.

That was pretty unfair, too. The budget that Double Fine had in mind for Psychonauts 2 was about half of Notch's personal fortune. Hell of a figure to gamble on. I'd imagine that AoW3 was only a couple million euros at most.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Oh I completely agree. Notch was a little in over his head, but ... how dare he!? We all know gamers and internet commenters are entitled asses.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Dominic White posted:

A couple months back. The original AoW developers wanted to make it, but didn't have the funds. And then Notch came along and bankrolled the whole thing, so that's pretty loving awesome and I hope it at least breaks even.

Yeah I remember now, slipped my mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Braking Gnus posted:

The game update isn't always a patch. It could have added a Mac version, or some new bonus content.

Going back to this, this is what I see today;

Now thankfully, Don't Starve comes with its own updater and patcher program, so I used that to get the update, but I have no idea what GOG expects from me other than to re-download and re-install the game here.