Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Ultimate Comics Universe Reborn: Cook it all up, Feed it to Galactus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
It could be a semi-fakeout - the ending of Spider-men, the 616-Ultimates crossover, had Peter Parker idly googling for 'his' Miles Morales and doing an exaggerated :aaa:.

EDIT:

Man, that looks creepy as poo poo out of context.

Squidster fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Aug 15, 2013

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

From the general marvel thread:

Just saw this in the November solicits:
MILES MORALES is headed to the Marvel Universe

Do solicits need to be spoiled? Either way, gently caress.

You don't need to spoiler code solicits and if it was legit or any kind of lasting change Marvel would have spoiled it in mainstream media by now.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Waterhaul posted:

You don't need to spoiler code solicits and if it was legit or any kind of lasting change Marvel would have spoiled it in mainstream media by now.

I don't think the mainstream media understands that there's different universes, though.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Lurdiak posted:

I don't think the mainstream media understands that there's different universes, though.

They don't but that's never stopped Marvel from pushing it to USAtoday/whomever will give them attention. Mainstream media don't give a poo poo about Angela (well nobody cares about Angela) but that didn't stop the end of Age of Ultron being spoiled months in advance to build hype.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Waterhaul posted:

They don't but that's never stopped Marvel from pushing it to USAtoday/whomever will give them attention. Mainstream media don't give a poo poo about Angela (well nobody cares about Angela) but that didn't stop the end of Age of Ultron being spoiled months in advance to build hype.

Angela was suppose to be a big secret though, I don't think this is if they are going to reveal it in the solicits.

Mister Chompers
Sep 11, 2011
Wow Bendis is not too happy about all this ending the Ultimate Universe talk:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I don't really see what his issue here is. People report stuff? People speculate? Yeah, duh. I mean is there something in particular that set him off?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

I don't really see what his issue here is. People report stuff? People speculate? Yeah, duh. I mean is there something in particular that set him off?

A lot of people in the industry seem to act like speculation, rumors and leaks never happened before the internet. Then they get mad about it? I don't get it either.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
That really bothers me because he seems like a nice dude most of the time and then he goes and acts like a jackass about that.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The only problem I have is that the companies are completely ready to promote the next thing in explicit detail months ahead of the current thing -that is set to reveal the next thing in storyline- is out, so nothing is ever a surprise if you follow comics news.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Teenage Fansub posted:

The only problem I have is that the companies are completely ready to promote the next thing in explicit detail months ahead of the current thing -that is set to reveal the next thing in storyline- is out, so nothing is ever a surprise if you follow comics news.

Yeah, Bendis seems to be blaming the wrong group here. Marvel (and DC as well) are the main reasons these kind of things happen in the detail they do. They want us to do this, you can't be mad when we do.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

hey Bendis, this is what your own solicits are hyping, so uh, chill?

http://www.ultimatecomicsuniverse.com/

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
It's easy to see where the dude is coming from you want to write a story and let it speak for itself but people won't stop bugging you to confirm or deny how they think it's going to end. If you don't say anything people take it as confirmation but if you deny it you rob your story of tension. That poo poo has got to get to you eventually.

While speculation and spoilers long predate the internet readers and writers have much more access to each other now then ever before. Gone are the days where you just stop opening mail and relax you are now expected to play PR guy all the time. One outburst doesn't an rear end in a top hat make.

I'm pretty frustrated by the rumor because it'd be mind numbingly stupid, like DC editorial "gently caress you I'ma break everything!" level stupid, to kill Ultimate Spider-man when it still moves the numbers and gets the critical acclaim it does.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

SirDan3k posted:

to kill Ultimate Spider-man when it still moves the numbers and gets the critical acclaim it does.

I bet the intention is to carry the book over and blam the rest, seeing as it's the one well regarded thing in the place.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Aug 16, 2013

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Teenage Fansub posted:

I bet the intention is to carry the book over and blam the rest, seeing as it's the one well regarded thing in the place.

Nobody has been able to give a good reason why they would bother carrying Miles over into the 616 and stripping him of almost his entire supporting cast. The Mayday Parker Spider-Girl was the only comic set in MU2 or whatever it was called for years by virtue of fan support, Ult. Spider-man has fan, critic and finical support.

I mean Loeb's not ghost writing the event is he?

Mister Chompers
Sep 11, 2011
Fialkov has turned things around pretty drat quick and if given the chance I can see his run being pretty well-regarded.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I have really no issue with what Bendis said there. He's just frustrated that people are writing off the end of the story as killing the Ultimate Universe before he's really even got the story going. It's gotta be frustrating being bombarded with that poo poo all the time. I feel what he said there was fine.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Deadpool posted:

I have really no issue with what Bendis said there. He's just frustrated that people are writing off the end of the story as killing the Ultimate Universe before he's really even got the story going. It's gotta be frustrating being bombarded with that poo poo all the time. I feel what he said there was fine.

The problem, for me at least, wasn't with his message so much as how unnecessarily rude he was.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I don't think they brought Fialkov over just to break everything.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

WickedHate posted:

The problem, for me at least, wasn't with his message so much as how unnecessarily rude he was.

I didn't find him rude at all, just frustrated.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Soonmot posted:

I could be reading it wrong. :shrug: I don't really care all that much. He's still an alright guy most of the time anyway.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Deadpool posted:

Well it's his own fault. Both he and Marvel are hyping Hunger and it's aftermath as possibly the end of the Ultimate Universe which some people will not be happy about. Of course people are going to speculate and get worked up over it. If he didn't want people to keep bugging him or asking him if it's the end of the Ultimate Universe he could either answer them or just ignore them.

He's also what +10 years writing for Marvel in a major capacity. He should know how to professionally deal with this poo poo by now.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Soonmot posted:

You can be both? Though really it sounded more like a childish temper tantrum than anything else.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Soonmot posted:

Agree. Like, Bendis has been getting poked at for a long time with this. This wasn't him going off at one guy, this was the straw that made the camel call someone out on their poo poo. We've been told time and again that this universe isn't going anywhere but apparently everyone drops their poo poo at the first indication that something might change.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Skwirl posted:

I don't think they brought Fialkov over just to break everything.

He's definitely given me hope for the Ultimate line but I still think we're going for a reset of sorts. Between Ultimates, X-Men, and now Hunger the Ultimate Universe is going hosed beyond repair.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

He's definitely given me hope for the Ultimate line but I still think we're going for a reset of sorts. Between Ultimates, X-Men, and now Hunger the Ultimate Universe is going hosed beyond repair.

I hope they fix it a bit. Right now its a hellhole and getting eaten by Galactus might be a favor. I hope this is what Ultimatium was suppose to be - a shake up.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Some rebuilding needs to done. Through all the stuff that's happened there's not much of an Ultimate Earth left to save.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Dacap posted:

Some rebuilding needs to done. Through all the stuff that's happened there's not much of an Ultimate Earth left to save.

At this point the only safe place to be in the Ultimate Universe New York City? That is how horrible everywhere else is.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I'd be ok with them killing the entire Ultimate Universe and using the Infinity gems to rebuild it. Its kind of a cop out but it gets around the sheer immensity of the logistics issues of having most of the planet being offline/blowed up.

Right now Ultimate Earth is a pretty hosed place to live. I think Australia is the only place that hasn't suffered some kind of continental level catastrophe.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Sion posted:

Agree. Like, Bendis has been getting poked at for a long time with this. This wasn't him going off at one guy, this was the straw that made the camel call someone out on their poo poo. We've been told time and again that this universe isn't going anywhere but apparently everyone drops their poo poo at the first indication that something might change.

Because comic book writers lie, a lot. for completely understandable reasons, but lets not pretend them putting their footdown actually means something.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

Because comic book writers lie, a lot. for completely understandable reasons, but lets not pretend them putting their footdown actually means something.

Remember, Spider-man's unmasking is permanent and irreversible, and he never made a deal with the devil.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Lurdiak posted:

Remember, Spider-man's unmasking is permanent and irreversible, and he never made a deal with the devil.

It certainly won't be undone by a magic retcon, no sir.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

WickedHate posted:

It certainly won't be undone by a magic retcon, no sir.

And you people who though Luke's kid was a Skrull are just crazy.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

What was the initial need for the Ultimate Universe? Hasn't the Now initiative sort of served the simplifying, new reader friendly thing again?

If Now accomplished it's goals and now Ultimate is now the thing more steeped in continuity and non inclusive, it might not serve a purpose for them.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Teenage Fansub posted:

What was the initial need for the Ultimate Universe? Hasn't the Now initiative sort of served the simplifying, new reader friendly thing again?

If Now accomplished it's goals and now Ultimate is now the thing more steeped in continuity and non inclusive, it might not serve a purpose for them.

That's probably why it's all going to hell in there. Imagine any of that happening in the main universe. Well, it'd probably all get undone. But the Ultimate universe feels like a classic alternate universe now. It's stopped even trying to resemble the main universe and is going absolutely nutters.

And that is it's purpose, for now. It reminds me of reading eXiles.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Teenage Fansub posted:

Not really, Marvel now can't really (well it can but they don't want to) expunge any continuity, which is really what simplifying it meant. The problem is creating a new universe that is going to run any amount of time and it will ultimately become exactly what it was created to avoid. It was really a concept doomed to failure in the long term.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Now didn't get rid of continuity, but every new story seems designed to not make you worry about it at all.

e: To be clear, I'm not defending destroying something that enough people are invested in. Just sorting out the rationale behind it.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Aug 17, 2013

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Teenage Fansub posted:

Now didn't get rid of continuity, but every new story seems designed to not make you worry about it at all.

Yeah that is ultimately possible with any story and really (besides marketing) its not really something unique to the Now! Line. Hell even books in the Now line will refer to past issues runs because it would be a waste not to. The ulimate Universe was an attempt to make sure stuff like that didn't happen. And in part, ways to retell stories or revert characters (I believe they call it modernizing) that wouldn't really work in the Main U.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thet0wer
Dec 4, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yeah that is ultimately possible with any story and really (besides marketing) its not really something unique to the Now! Line. Hell even books in the Now line will refer to past issues runs because it would be a waste not to. The ulimate Universe was an attempt to make sure stuff like that didn't happen. And in part, ways to retell stories or revert characters (I believe they call it modernizing) that wouldn't really work in the Main U.

The UU outgrew it's original purpose in 2009. Since then it's taken on a new form as the universe that can "do what the 616 can't."

Which is good, because you can't retell old stories forever. That's not sustainable.

• Locked thread