Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WhitemageofDOOM
Sep 13, 2010

... It's magic. I ain't gotta explain shit.
My big problem with hard isn't the harder checks and more bad events.
That's what hard is for!

It's the even shittier starting position, it just makes the early game more intensely gently caress you rather than spreading out the increased difficulty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I almost only play hard and i am not even sure that checks are any more difficult, you just start with less poo poo. Once the ball gets rolling you're still unstoppable, it just means your starting strategy has to really focus on 'preventing death spirals' while slowly building up buildings and mysteries (since you can't lose those) before you really worry about "tons of cows" and "win all the wars."

BlindGuy
Feb 27, 2011

The Prophet
My issue with the predominant strategy in this thread is using hero quests as stat boosting grind machines. I can't really bring myself to do it. It feels like it cheapens the value of the experience for the role-play part of my clan. So I'll do them occasionally, or in an emergency, or whatever, but never really regularly. I don't kno why I find it hard to do it the other way.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I'm the same way. Especially about sending initiates of the wrong God on a hero quest. I only do that if there's no other way to advance.

Maybe I'll give hard another try...

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
On the other hand, the future King/Queen of Dragon Pass has to be someone special. Heroquesting is the best way to show their worth.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
I tend to play on hard because ever since I got KoDP as a young teenager the game has been a roguelike-like storytelling game. I enjoy having my clan's tulas get flooded or having my poo poo pushed in because I hosed with the ducks! The one time I became King (Queen, actually, expanding Esrolia's Fempire into Dragon Pass is always fun) was so worth it because of all my failures.

WhitemageofDOOM
Sep 13, 2010

Tulip posted:

I almost only play hard and i am not even sure that checks are any more difficult, you just start with less poo poo. Once the ball gets rolling you're still unstoppable, it just means your starting strategy has to really focus on 'preventing death spirals' while slowly building up buildings and mysteries (since you can't lose those) before you really worry about "tons of cows" and "win all the wars."

Well that's even especially shittier, the whole reason i'd want hard is to ensure an end game challenge, not to make it take longer to attempt it.

BlindGuy
Feb 27, 2011

The Prophet
David has previously said that if he could have gotten away with it he'd ditch difficulty levels entirely. I'm glad he didn't, I believe hard is genuinely more challenging, but I've had plenty of fun on Normal and don't anticipate that changing anytime soon.

Project1
Dec 30, 2003

it's time
I on the other hand am glad they have Easy, because that's the only way I was able to see the endgame.

I'm having a game at the moment where the gods hate me and won't talk to me. I've had it happen before, but because I didn't do something they wanted. This has been happening since the start of this game, and there hasn't been anything I didn't do, except learn requested blessings, and that's only because they won't accept my sacrifices. Any ideas?

Another thing, when sending men on trading missions, exploring, and on events, does that affect crops during Sea/Earth? Or is it just raiding that does that?

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Project1 posted:

I'm having a game at the moment where the gods hate me and won't talk to me. I've had it happen before, but because I didn't do something they wanted. This has been happening since the start of this game, and there hasn't been anything I didn't do, except learn requested blessings, and that's only because they won't accept my sacrifices. Any ideas?
What's the best Magic rating on your ring? It sounds like you just don't have a sufficiently competent god botherer.

quote:

Another thing, when sending men on trading missions, exploring, and on events, does that affect crops during Sea/Earth? Or is it just raiding that does that?

Anything that takes men away from your tula affects the harvest somewhat(due to the small population dip), but raiding is worse, because it puts a dent in clan mood, pisses off the other clans and possibly makes Ernalda annoyed at you.

Project1
Dec 30, 2003

it's time

veekie posted:

What's the best Magic rating on your ring? It sounds like you just don't have a sufficiently competent god botherer.

Excellent. I don't know, must be some old bug as it's the PC version. I started a new game and it's working normally now.

BlindGuy
Feb 27, 2011

The Prophet

Project1 posted:

Excellent. I don't know, must be some old bug as it's the PC version. I started a new game and it's working normally now.

I don't know about that, sounds like a weird bug if that's the case. Glad things seem to be working now at least.

Project1
Dec 30, 2003

it's time

BlindGuy posted:

I don't know about that, sounds like a weird bug if that's the case. Glad things seem to be working now at least.

It's either a bug, or I upset the gods in some really unfair and opaque way. Which is fine for the setting, but not for the game.

EDIT: I know I've read about this before, but I can't quite remember. What was the deal with the dragons eating everyone? I know it wasn't just a case of dragons being evil and hungry, but that's about all I can remember.

Project1 fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Aug 15, 2013

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Geez, this most recent file refuses to generate any new orlanth-worshippers. My current chief is 57, I don't want to take the risk of dragging him to endgame, but I'm just not getting any replacements.

I also only have one dude with more than "Good" in combat, so that's a thing too.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

So, this is only tangentially related to the thread, but I figured that if anyone would be interested in experiencing playing the RPG this game is based off of, it would be you lot.

Anyway, Jeff Richard, the editor-in-chief of the company that own Glorantha's IP, is running two games of Heroquest this Friday and Saturday at Gencon*. Because the game was listed very, very late, there's still slots open for people to join. So, if you're in a position to go, give it some consideration.

1. Hounds of Forbidden Lore – Saturday 1:00-5:00pm Setting: Ralios in Glorantha. You are trouble-shooters for the ruler of the city-state of Tortun. She orders you to steal a forbidden codex of lore from a rival sorcerer, and it gets deadly fast.
  2. An Age of Wolves – Friday 1:00-5:00pm Setting: Wolf Pirates. You are a shipload of Wolf Pirates, sailing the seas, looking for things to plunder. A sandbox adventure on the seas of Glorantha!

I'm playing in the former game despite knowing jack all about the system.

* A big tabletop game convention currently running in Indianapolis

Haystack fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Aug 15, 2013

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Project1 posted:

It's either a bug, or I upset the gods in some really unfair and opaque way. Which is fine for the setting, but not for the game.

EDIT: I know I've read about this before, but I can't quite remember. What was the deal with the dragons eating everyone? I know it wasn't just a case of dragons being evil and hungry, but that's about all I can remember.

The short answer is that at some point the dragons realised that a whole country of humans walking around acting like dragons, knowing dragon secrets and basically trying to turn themselves into dragons was eventually going to turn out really badly, and did an abrupt volte-face on the whole dragonfriend project. They started out by killing off the Empire of Wyrms' Friends' leaders and cutting off all contact with humans, and when that didn't sufficiently discourage people, they ended up killing basically anyone who'd had contact with dragons.

BlindGuy
Feb 27, 2011

The Prophet

Haystack posted:

So, this is only tangentially related to the thread, but I figured that if anyone would be interested in experiencing playing the RPG this game is based off of, it would be you lot.

Anyway, Jeff Richard, the editor-in-chief of the company that own Glorantha's IP, is running two games of Heroquest this Friday and Saturday at Gencon*. Because the game was listed very, very late, there's still slots open for people to join. So, if you're in a position to go, give it some consideration.

1. Hounds of Forbidden Lore – Saturday 1:00-5:00pm Setting: Ralios in Glorantha. You are trouble-shooters for the ruler of the city-state of Tortun. She orders you to steal a forbidden codex of lore from a rival sorcerer, and it gets deadly fast.
  2. An Age of Wolves – Friday 1:00-5:00pm Setting: Wolf Pirates. You are a shipload of Wolf Pirates, sailing the seas, looking for things to plunder. A sandbox adventure on the seas of Glorantha!

I'm playing in the former game despite knowing jack all about the system.

* A big tabletop game convention currently running in Indianapolis

This is yet another in my long list of reasons I wish I were at GenCon this week. Do let us know how it goes, if you care to.

Project1
Dec 30, 2003

it's time
Is there any good reason to propitiate enemy gods? I've never tried it, though it's fun to click on Malia and have them plead with me not to do it. Often the ring members will say that it will work, but then I'll have to keep sacrificing or it'll be even worse. Is that true?

Those tabletop games at the con sound good. It's been such a long time since I've had the time to play face to face...

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Oh what the gently caress re: GenCon. Probably the only chance you're ever going to get to play Heroquest, too. Wish they'd release an audio log of it.

Project1 posted:

Is there any good reason to propitiate enemy gods? I've never tried it, though it's fun to click on Malia and have them plead with me not to do it. Often the ring members will say that it will work, but then I'll have to keep sacrificing or it'll be even worse. Is that true?
Yes. The reason why you would bother Malia in the first place is because, as a largely shunned goddess, it's way easier to get her attention than Chalana Arroy's. Chalana Arroy is often the busiest goddess, so if there's a really bad plague and you don't have a ton of food stockpiled to just sleep through it, you might be forced to propitiate Malia because Chalana Arroy is just too expensive.

However, sacrificing to Malia strengthens her (and by extension, Chaos), and part of the reason she's an enemy god in the first place is because she's kind of a spiteful bitch. She will expect regular sacrifices for continuing to grant you immunity to her plagues, sort of like protection money from the Mafia. And if you ever stop paying, the plague will probably be back and worse than ever since you've strengthened her with your sacrifices!

I got forced into propitiating Malia in one game where I attracted a bunch of new carls and cleared land for a big farming upgrade in Storm. First thing that happens next Sea is an absolutely mammoth plague strikes, literally one in three people in my tula were marked as sick. It was the first 5 years or so of the game, so I absolutely did NOT have the goods to buy Chalana Arroy's attention, and not doing anything was tantamount to inviting starvation. So yeah, I bribed Malia to turn her gaze elsewhere.

The sacrifices went on for about another 5 years or so, then my carls showed up and called me a massive loving nerd for continuing the sacrifices. I ended up agreeing with them, stopped the sacrifices, and holy gently caress that plague came back and now it was one in two people were sick. Fortunately by that time I had a metric assload of food and a few hundred goods, so I could take the edge off with a few heavy sacrifices to Chalana Arroy and just grin and bear the rest.

It's a really narrow use-case, and I've only seen it once in my dozens of games, but it is possible for it to happen.

During the blizzard events, you can propitiate Valind without too many consequences if ice demons weren't your ancient enemy. Like any sacrifice it can be ignored, but it's generally easier to get Valind to gently caress off than it is to organize the clans (which NEVER loving works) or send your own weaponthanes to fight them (who are likely to just die). I'm pretty sure it lowers your reputation a bit, but eh.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Project1 posted:

Yeah, if you sacrifice to Malia you get events where she's expecting more and if you don't sacrifice more you get a plague that's even worse than the one you originally avoided.

But sometimes you can get out of it by sacrificing to Chanala Arroy instead.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Malia is pretty much only done when you're in a pinch and likely to spend the next years digging your way out of a pit full of plagued farmers otherwise, yeah.

Valind, it's probably a better idea to kick his rear end, you get magic back out of it if it works, but if your warleader isn't up to fighting ice demons, paying him off is probably a good tactic.

WhitemageofDOOM
Sep 13, 2010

Project1 posted:

Yes, if you propitiate malia she'll stop the plague and then you won't get sick, but if you ever stop? All that sick she was saving up for you, she'll fling right at you.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I've noticed something playing on hard. That one clan with a history of mad chieftains? They actually act mad. Their chief showed up on my tula claiming that he saw us in dreams every night and was sick of us. He then proceeded to declare a feud and raid us...in Earth season.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Right, I've tried like four times to play on hard and I just can't do it. I always ALWAYS enter a failure spiral by the fifth year with less than six hundred cows, no horses, and no goods to trade with, sacrifice, or end my feuds (three, on average). What am I missing?

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

The Sharmat posted:

I've noticed something playing on hard. That one clan with a history of mad chieftains? They actually act mad. Their chief showed up on my tula claiming that he saw us in dreams every night and was sick of us. He then proceeded to declare a feud and raid us...in Earth season.

The guy does that on all difficulties. He's just as likely to come screaming into your market and declare that he's established a trade route now.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

The guy does that on all difficulties. He's just as likely to come screaming into your market and declare that he's established a trade route now.

Well, he's nuts.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

I guess he's just more likely to do it on hard? Because I've seen it twice now, and never before.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

The Sharmat posted:

Right, I've tried like four times to play on hard and I just can't do it. I always ALWAYS enter a failure spiral by the fifth year with less than six hundred cows, no horses, and no goods to trade with, sacrifice, or end my feuds (three, on average). What am I missing?

<600 cows is totally recoverable, but no horses is seriously bad news. I don't know much about how you're playing - are you raiding too much? Do you have a trickster giving away your cows? Did you take "as much land as possible" and then fire all your hunters? Are you generally focusing on long-term over short-term?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Is there any way to make KODP run in windowed mode? I've tried everything I can think of and it's still not letting me.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I don't think so. I've taken to running it in 640x480 compatibility mode and setting my monitor to display 4:3.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

I've got it working before - solutions abound on page 2.

http://www.gog.com/forum/king_of_dragon_pass/windowed

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Tulip posted:

<600 cows is totally recoverable, but no horses is seriously bad news. I don't know much about how you're playing - are you raiding too much? Do you have a trickster giving away your cows? Did you take "as much land as possible" and then fire all your hunters? Are you generally focusing on long-term over short-term?

How much raiding is too much? I'll go a whole year without raiding at times. It's just that I'm raided 2-3 times every season that it's possible. Spending a bunch of my starting goods ending a feud didn't help much, either. That's where the cows are going. The horses are just from constant weapon thane deaths. Maybe I should have gotten the shield blessing...

I took either the first or second option for land, each so that I'd be hard to sneak up on. I've needed every edge in raids. That means not to many hunters though.

As to long term over short term...define what actions apply to each of those? I've mostly been consumed with trying to get enough goods to sacrifice for mysteries...but I can almost never get anyone to establish a rout with me, and raiders keep taking my goods.

WhitemageofDOOM
Sep 13, 2010

The Sharmat posted:

As to long term over short term...define what actions apply to each of those? I've mostly been consumed with trying to get enough goods to sacrifice for mysteries...but I can almost never get anyone to establish a rout with me, and raiders keep taking my goods.

That's definitely long term, if you can't afford temples, you can't afford mysteries.
The only temple/blessing worth getting is probably market and calves as those are inherently profitable, but if you are failing to get it stop trying.

Only do cattle raids one/year, spam gift/trade missions like they are going out of style. Make sure you stay food solvent.
You want everyone adjacent to you to have good relations ASAP, that means raiders have to cross your friends tulas. Anything that isn't focused on improving relations or having higher cows/food/goods than last year is utterly irrelevant.

WhitemageofDOOM fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Aug 16, 2013

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

The Sharmat posted:

How much raiding is too much? I'll go a whole year without raiding at times. It's just that I'm raided 2-3 times every season that it's possible. Spending a bunch of my starting goods ending a feud didn't help much, either. That's where the cows are going. The horses are just from constant weapon thane deaths. Maybe I should have gotten the shield blessing...

I took either the first or second option for land, each so that I'd be hard to sneak up on. I've needed every edge in raids. That means not to many hunters though.

You're expected to cattle raid at the least, once a year, and a full raid every other year, assuming you aren't a War clan. It's mostly a matter of style whether you want to put all that onto one clan and get a proper feud going(the advantage is that your opponent will be weakened by the ongoing feud usually), or spread it around so no one clan is especially pissed at you.
However, you still need to form trade and social connections, and make friends, or you'd be the isolated guy nobody really likes, and thus the acceptable target for bullying. Military strength is another thing, are they winning too easily? You're the favorite raid target if they can just stomp all over you. Ending feuds is less important than making alliances and having favors to call, because the former feuding clan probably still hates you without a very talented diplomat and huge scads of bribes.

Fortifications pay better than mysteries early on. Setting up shrines cost you a steady outflow of goods, sheep and cows, you need to have crafters and trade routes before you do any serious expansion along those lines(barring Issaries shrines, which tend to pay for themselves, and Truesword, which is just too damned kickass). Essentially in the early game you want to get a few fortifications up, start up trade routes and explore your tula for trade goods and treasures.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
I disagree slightly with the guy above me. Keep on weak whipping boy clan around in a feud that you raid often so that if you get the 'too many Carl's and cottars' event you can just take over that Tula.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
How much of a penalty do you end up with if you have your clan chief not match my main god? Is it something I can live with, like one less point of magic in sacred time, or will it make me take a serious hit to my luck?

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Aug 16, 2013

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

cheetah7071 posted:

How much of a penalty do you end up with if you have your clan chief not match my main god? Is it something I can live with, like one less point of magic in sacred time, or will make me take a serious hit to my luck?

1 magic/year. That's it.

WhitemageofDOOM
Sep 13, 2010

nucleicmaxid posted:

I disagree slightly with the guy above me. Keep on weak whipping boy clan around in a feud that you raid often so that if you get the 'too many Carl's and cottars' event you can just take over that Tula.

Early game hard mode you are the weak whipping boy clan.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
It's why on hard you'd probably want Balanced or Peace. War is just...sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhitemageofDOOM
Sep 13, 2010

veekie posted:

It's why on hard you'd probably want Balanced or Peace. War is just...sad.

I swear, war/balanced/peace clan is the real difficulty selection.
Though war clans are better for the steam roll portion of the game, that's not the hard part.

• Locked thread