Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Buzkashi posted:

I've got a picture of it on my computer at home, but I was playing Diablo 2 once and had a glitch with my Assassin. The class gimmick is that you have combo moves that build to a finisher - you use the combo move several times to build up charges, then get a bigger finishing effect based on how many you've stored up. One of my abilities was just supposed to make a small explosion and cause some area effect damage, but it bugged out and each level of the skill increased the area of effect seemingly exponentially, which meant every finisher caused the entire screen to explode in a massive firestorm, killing enemies two screens away and basically earning me a level every time I unleashed it.

The Barbarian class in Diablo 2 has an ability that lets him leap over the heads of enemies and land some distance away, and a higher-level one that lets him leap directly to an enemy and hit it for extra damage. The second version was eventually patched to be kind of lovely and useless, which was both puzzling and disappointing since, pre-nerf, its main draw lay in how strangely it behaved and how funny it could be.

The leaping attack was never especially great for offensive purposes - its damage was always merely okay, and on a class that had a couple of absolutely nuts melee powers, it was pretty lackluster by comparison. Its greatest value was as a method of travel. Before it was patched, it straight-up made the Barbarian jump to whatever he targeted with it, full stop, unless there was a wall or other 100% impassable area in the way. This meant that you could briefly see the left pinky toe of a retreating enemy in the top right corner of your screen, reflexively right-click it, mysteriously fly into the air like a haunted mass of meat and rage, and float ominously off into space to land a screen's length away on the other side of three rivers and a cliff, leaving your baffled teammates to wonder where the gently caress you'd gone and why. Alternatively, if you were a good Barbarian who kept an eye on the health and location of your friends, sometimes they'd be about to get killed by some tough unique enemy, hear the "HUP" sound the Barbarian makes when he jumps, and a moment later they'd be rescued when your swole fightyman levitated serenely onto the screen and smashed down on the enemy's head like one of the Recognizers from Tron.

Then the skill was nerfed to have a really short maximum range, and it went from a great mobility power disguised as a lovely attack to a really lovely attack disguised as a lovely attack. :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rujo King
Jun 28, 2007

I say old chap have you any of the good sort of catnip if you know what I mean... harrumphaarmaammhhhmm

Buzkashi posted:

I've got a picture of it on my computer at home, but I was playing Diablo 2 once and had a glitch with my Assassin. The class gimmick is that you have combo moves that build to a finisher - you use the combo move several times to build up charges, then get a bigger finishing effect based on how many you've stored up. One of my abilities was just supposed to make a small explosion and cause some area effect damage, but it bugged out and each level of the skill increased the area of effect seemingly exponentially, which meant every finisher caused the entire screen to explode in a massive firestorm, killing enemies two screens away and basically earning me a level every time I unleashed it.

Editing items could get you similar craziness, such as a lightning javelin that would completely white out the screen, or an entire inventory of armor and weapons all named "The Gnasher". But the best was when you made a weapon spawn a ghost every time you killed something, then set it to something like Diablo:

All those Diablos were actually trying to attack me, but because they were flagged as allies, I wasn't taking any damage. (The same could not be said for Baal's hapless minions.)

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Rujo King posted:

Editing items could get you similar craziness,

If you edited an item to give you ludicrous amounts of movement speed, the game would start making GBS threads itself whenever you ran, causing you to rubberband madly back and forth as you moved. If your speed was high enough you'd actually move directly backwards when you tried to run, performing a buggy moonwalk that made it impossible to get anywhere.

Eventually someone figured out that you could get around the too-much-speed bugginess by only walking (no idea how that worked, but it did), allowing hacked characters to powerwalk everywhere at fifty times the normal maximum running speed. This gave the walking animation a goofy, cartoonish, Road Runner-esque quality, sometimes making the character appear to have three or four feet milling wildly in a cyclical blur as the animation frames passed by so rapidly that they became hard to visually parse.

BAKA FLOCKA FLAME
Oct 9, 2012

by Pipski

"How Do Cotton Candy"
-Elizabeth Comstock

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Given that that looks like Saint's Row 3, are we sure it's a glitch and not intentional?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I've heard of putting motherfuckers in the ground, but this is ridiculous.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

His face makes that screenshot. It's like he's totally freaking the gently caress out about being embedded into the ground.

And also that you're pointing a gun at him I guess

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

It's also funny because he's showing a lot of mouth. Like someone's blowing extremely strong wind into his face.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Today I discovered an unexpected and strangely appropriate glitch in the (excellent) indie game Fez. When the Hexahedron gives Gomez the fez, it is possible to drop down and hang off the platform's edge, then let go just as you rotate the final time to make Crazy poo poo happen. This causes the game to freak the gently caress out and crash to poo poo in the middle of the scene about reality crashing to poo poo, leaving you trapped in a glitchy hell of broken graphics and the rhythmic droning of the Hexahedron's death throes until you manually shut off the console.

Jygallax
Oct 17, 2011

Every human being deserves respect. Even if if they are a little different.

BAKA FLOCKA FLAME posted:

"How Do Cotton Candy"
-Elizabeth

Might want to spoiler that name or something. (If I'm remembering the story of that game correctly.) Turns out I wasn't, ignore me.

For content.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_W2NjQ3V5U

More screwed up head stuff, always gets me.

Jygallax has a new favorite as of 01:25 on Aug 5, 2013

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

Jygallax posted:

Might want to spoiler that name or something. (If I'm remembering the story of that game correctly.) Turns out I wasn't, ignore me.

For content.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_W2NjQ3V5U

More screwed up head stuff, always gets me.

I'm curious what you thought about Elizabeth going to town on some candy candy was a spoiler.

Jygallax
Oct 17, 2011

gleep gloop posted:

I'm curious what you thought about Elizabeth going to town on some candy candy was a spoiler.

Her name, Elizabeth being Comstock's daughter. I thought I remembered that being a semi-big reveal. But nope, it was established pretty early on that she was at least his adoptive daughter.

Jygallax has a new favorite as of 01:58 on Aug 5, 2013

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Jygallax posted:

But nope, it was established pretty early on that she was at least his adoptive daughter.

Okay, that part actually is a spoiler. You are really bad at this.

Jygallax
Oct 17, 2011

RandomFerret posted:

Okay, that part actually is a spoiler. You are really bad at this.

Whoops, you're right. Fixed. spoilered everything just to be safe. :blush:

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008
Cr1TiKaL plays Winback: Covert Operations with the Vinesause ROM corrupter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iu04U-Yb2qs

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
"When you shove your head through your anus you're always going to be in perfect health"

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Brother Jonathan posted:

Those "animations" are amazing. The diabolical grey square is pretty funny too.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
My favorite glitches are always the ridiculous movement ones like that diablo 2 barbarian skill mentioned above.

In Cube World, a zelda style rpg game in a blocky minecraft world, there is an ability that lets you hang glide, and leveling that skill lets you fly longer and longer distances without running out of stamina and crashing. The ranger class has an ability called retreat, which lets you quickly jump back to create some small distance between you and your enemies. Pulling out your hangglider and using retreat on the ground would make you explode backwards and into the clouds, covering enormous distances twice as fast as any other movement ability in the game, if you looked in the opposite direction of where you wanted to go before flinging yourself.

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008
In Kerbal Space Program, Stun_gravy exploits a bug to launch Jebediah Kerbal straight from the surface of Kerbal to Duna (i.e., Earth to Mars) at a speed of 2,960,612 m/s for a trip of only 35 minutes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-ruo2ElR4E

:jeb:

The bug involves attaching a ladder to overlapping stage separators.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

Brother Jonathan posted:

In Kerbal Space Program, Stun_gravy exploits a bug to launch Jebediah Kerbal straight from the surface of Kerbal to Duna (i.e., Earth to Mars) at a speed of 2,960,612 m/s for a trip of only 35 minutes:

:jebstare: I have got to try that sometime.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Brother Jonathan posted:

Pssh, Jeb could've survived if he landed on his head. :colbert:

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Brother Jonathan posted:

Is there a Let's Play thread where people do these? I remember being linked to one but I can't find it. It's probably on this page or something :v:

Gotta Wear Shades
Jul 25, 2013

Learn to hoist a jack,
Learn to lay a track
Learn to pick and shovel too
And take my hammer, it'll do anything you tell it to

Gamma Nerd posted:

Is there a Let's Play thread where people do these? I remember being linked to one but I can't find it. It's probably on this page or something :v:

Here it is: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3562239&pagenumber=1

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
From over in the GBS Youtube thread:

cat doter posted:

Just a dumb glitch I got while streaming Shadow of the Colossus. I was having trouble playing I was laughing so hard, but I guess you had to be there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqv7J3HgRrk

Agro, no, horses aren't supposed to fly!

Landerig
Oct 27, 2008

by Fistgrrl
What a beautiful day to get out and ride around the city! Just hop on the bike, select your favorite half hour looping radio station, and cruise around at top speed.

Hm, ah this must be the new 1987 model. Seems to me the factory's getting lazy.

Well enough of this. Time to head back to my mansion and take the Infernus for a spin. I want to head to Prawn island and take the Dodo plane for a flight around the city.

Perfect parking job!

So flying around is fun, watching the sun rise and set every 20 minutes, listening to the ditzy girl interviewing the same five people over and over, watching as the draw distance can't keep up with my 1080p display... Ah gently caress this I wanna cause some carnage. Lets land this plane.

Oh boy.

Don't look down.

BaconAndBullets
Feb 25, 2011

Landerig posted:

So flying around is fun, watching the sun rise and set every 20 minutes, listening to the ditzy girl interviewing the same five people over and over, watching as the draw distance can't keep up with my 1080p display... Ah gently caress this I wanna cause some carnage. Lets land this plane.

Cocaine is a hellavua drug

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Vice City is a really chaotic place huh.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
A game streaming show runs into a rather painful bug at the end of Ducktales Remastered, which ends up ruining the theme song in the best way possible.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Ran into a pretty great glitch when I was playing Dead Space 3 tonight. I was in the prologue when my character got cut in half and a cut-scene triggered. Everyone in the cutscene reacted to my character as if he weren't just a floating groin.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

miscellaneous14 posted:

A game streaming show runs into a rather painful bug at the end of Ducktales Remastered, which ends up ruining the theme song in the best way possible.
The most amusing part of this is that this game had nearly a hundred times the staff than the original game and yet... this.

Yoshi Jjang
Oct 5, 2011

renard renard renarnd renrard

renard

How do people do these things?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Oh good lord, I don't know why but I'm laughing so hard I'm almost crying over that gif.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
These gimmicks to get people in the seats are getting weird...

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.

I don't even know what this is from, but I think it's pretty great.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

kinmik posted:

I don't even know what this is from, but I think it's pretty great.

Dead or Alive 5, I actually posted that exact gif like a week ago in the it's thread(it's not mine a buddy sent me it): http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3503581&pagenumber=13#post417839390

Landerig
Oct 27, 2008

by Fistgrrl
Hey Tony! What's going o--

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Landerig posted:

Hey Tony! What's going o--

Even at 45 he's still got the moves.

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008

runchild posted:

video

Motdef, a guy who has a remarkable ability to break almost any game he plays, is given Road To Hell: Retribution, the worst-reviewed game of this generation.

And now BirgirPall, makers of the "I Broke …" series, have "Ride to Hell: Retribution Broke Me"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zo2k7nm-4nc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Welp, guess I'm not learning how to do fireworks! :shrug: