Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

SubG posted:

Most importantly it echoes the moment when he forbids Martin from trying to rescue Debbie (during the day for night scene before the raid on the camp), which is the other time in the film we see him make the same gesture.

I don't know that it makes sense to try to decompose all of the individual elements in the final scene in terms of being signifiers with a discrete, single meaning or interpretation. I think the film's a lot more complicated than this, and there's a great deal of ambiguity in many of the elements in it and this all works to convey ambivalence toward the character and the material which itself is the `point' of the film, if we want to think of it that way.

In broad terms I think the duplication of the gesture is there to remind us call out the fact that there's a tension between Ethan's original intentions and eventual actions, and that perhaps even unconsciously Ethan is aware of this tension, which suggests that his exclusion from the house/family/new post-Western-era America is not just something that's being enforced from outside (that is, it can't be read only as a sort of moral comeuppance in which he's being exiled for his transgressions) but is something which he at least tacitly accepts.

I think this in turn is part and parcel with the ambivalence which constitute the films `revisionism'. This isn't the revisionism that became the conventional approach to the Western in the '60s, which had at its heart the suggestion that the idealised and fundamentally moral world of the studio-era Western never existed in the first place. The tone of The Searchers is more elegiac, a requiem for the mythological past in which the radical certainty which consumes Ethan was heroism rather than madness while acknowledging at the same time that it is madness indeed.

I haven't seen it in a long time, so I forgot about it echoing an earlier scene. Great post.

Mescal posted:

Is the by-OP-ick pronunciation of "biopic" a silly mistake or an acceptable alternate pronunciation? Does it depend on where you live?

I said it that way until I realized it's a contraction of 'biographical picture,' in which case pronouncing it to rhyme with myopic didn't make any sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Mescal posted:

Is the by-OP-ick pronunciation of "biopic" a silly mistake or an acceptable alternate pronunciation? Does it depend on where you live?

I don't know about anyone else, but I couldn't say it any other way because "bio-pic" sounds awkward and dumb. I don't make any claim of pronouncing it correctly, I just have never been able to say bio-pick cause I don't like the way it sounds. I justify my pronunciation by the fact that it's the way "biography" is pronounced... Is there a third pronunciation that I'm not aware of?

edit: It occurs to me now that the way someone pronounces "biography" will greatly influence how they say biopic. Since I say "Bi-aw-graphy" I also say "Bi-aw-pic"

Snak fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Aug 13, 2013

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Mescal posted:

Bi-Op-ick is the normal pronunciation. Because English is an amazing language that prefers beauty to logic. Do you honestly think Bio-Pick sounds better?

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Skwirl posted:

Bi-Op-ick is the normal pronunciation. Because English is an amazing language that prefers beauty to logic. Do you honestly think Bio-Pick sounds better?

No, I think bio-pick sounds dumb. But somebody told me that was wrong, so I had been trying to "correct" the way I say it.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Mescal posted:

No, I think bio-pick sounds dumb. But somebody told me that was wrong, so I had been trying to "correct" the way I say it.

It's a dumb made up word so I say pronounce it however you feel like.

I say it bio-pick, but I also hate bio-picks.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
It's Bio Pic because it's a Biographical Picture.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Bio-pick may sound dumb, but it's the correct way. When you say bi-op-ic around someone else, they think you sound dumb.

Don't be dumb, just say the dumb word.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
You're wrong, because it sounds dumb. Though honestly I could care less.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
How much less could you care?

Though, it really does kill me every time someone says bi-op-ic, especially when its well respected film folks.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
every online dictionary, the same ones that say "literally" can mean "figuratively", say it's pronounced "bio-pic" and only that way.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Also while we're at it; Americans, it's foy-ay, not foy-er.

:getoffmylawn:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

How much less could you care?

Though, it really does kill me every time someone says bi-op-ic, especially when its well respected film folks.

I care even less about the "proper" version of the phrase "I could care less", so that much at least.

Edit: Who the gently caress says "foy-er"?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Skwirl posted:

I care even less about the "proper" version of the phrase "I could care less", so that much at least.

I think it's something from the flyover states.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I think it's something from the flyover states.

And now you know why the rest of us fly over them.

Peruser
Feb 23, 2013
It's foy-er ya commies

Skwirl posted:

True Americans :911:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Peruser posted:

It's foy-er ya commies

True Americans :911:

What's it like living somewhere civilized people only visit if there's an unfortunate layover between them and where they actually want to be?

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Skwirl posted:

What's it like living somewhere civilized people only visit if there's an unfortunate layover between them and where they actually want to be?

Yep the coasts sure do have higher population density, guess that means I'm not a real person!

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Did you guys hear something? I think I have my Poors-Filter set too high.

Or at just the right level. :smug:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Yep the coasts sure do have higher population density, guess that means I'm not a real person!

You're real people, just like those Amazon tribes that the rest of the world tries to avoid contact with so we don't spoil their way of life are also real people.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

:rolleyes:

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Foyer is a homophone for the German word for fire, which I should set myself on for asking about pronunciation in the first place.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Skwirl posted:

You're real people, just like those Amazon tribes that the rest of the world tries to avoid contact with so we don't spoil their way of life are also real people.

Are you seriously trying to stir up a personal argument about this?

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
Does anyone have a transcript for Jack Lipnik's monologue near the end of Barton Fink, where he's explaining to Fink why his script is terrible? I've been looking for it bloody everywhere and can't find it.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Adrianics posted:

Does anyone have a transcript for Jack Lipnik's monologue near the end of Barton Fink, where he's explaining to Fink why his script is terrible? I've been looking for it bloody everywhere and can't find it.

Full script here. You can search for "Don't gas me," that's the line that starts off his rant.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

Skwirl posted:

Bi-Op-ick is the normal pronunciation.

No it isn't. Turn on Entertainment Tonight and see if they say it that way.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

DNS posted:

No it isn't. Turn on Entertainment Tonight and see if they say it that way.

Entertainment Tonight, well known for hard hitting journalism, and unquestionable accuracy in pronunciation.

But Merriam-Webster (an actual authority on how words are pronounced) agrees.

Biopic (bī-(ˌ)ō-ˌpik): a biographical movie

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I have literally never heard it pronounced Bi-Op-ick until now. Both Merriam-Webster and Oxford seem to agree that that's wrong too.

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."
The entire world is flyover country except for Manhattan East of 10th Ave and South of 86th Street, excluding certain parts of midtown.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Here's another 79 to clear up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xc6cfJztR8A Finally getting clarification on how to pronounce Gnocchi :waycool:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Actually this is one of those funny situations where the pretentious pronunciation is also wrong, at least etymology-wise. A bunch of snobs trying to say a French word in the fanciest possible way (no doubt with their pinkies out) were mispronouncing it. And now most of them are dead or assholes. Or both.

So to all you rich Limeys and WASPs saying foy-ay I say Me la pelas pinche pendejo de mierda . vas Y chingas A tu puta madre pinche mama vergas good day to you sir.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

syscall girl posted:

Actually this is one of those funny situations where the pretentious pronunciation is also wrong, at least etymology-wise. A bunch of snobs trying to say a French word in the fanciest possible way (no doubt with their pinkies out) were mispronouncing it. And now most of them are dead or assholes. Or both.
Yeah, but that really just calls attention to the fact that it is usage, not etymology, which should inform such arguments. American pronunciation of `petite' and `lingerie' don't accurately mimic the French pronunciation, but that ship has sailed and so arguing that it ought to be something like `puh-TEE' and `la-ZHREE' isn't just pedantic, it's just as wrong as arguing that the K in `knight' shouldn't be silent because of the way it's said in Old English.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Wait, so you mean it knight isn't kuh-niget?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

SubG posted:

Yeah, but that really just calls attention to the fact that it is usage, not etymology, which should inform such arguments. American pronunciation of `petite' and `lingerie' don't accurately mimic the French pronunciation, but that ship has sailed and so arguing that it ought to be something like `puh-TEE' and `la-ZHREE' isn't just pedantic, it's just as wrong as arguing that the K in `knight' shouldn't be silent because of the way it's said in Old English.

Nah, petite is right, it's only in the masculine form, petit, that it would be pronounced as you indicate. Since English doesn't have masculine / feminine and the French feminine form is the version used in English, pronunciation would properly be peh-TEET, which is pretty close to how it's pronounced.

I mean if you want to get all pedantic, we all pronounce Paris wrong.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

regulargonzalez posted:

Nah, petite is right, it's only in the masculine form, petit, that it would be pronounced as you indicate. Since English doesn't have masculine / feminine and the French feminine form is the version used in English, pronunciation would properly be peh-TEET, which is pretty close to how it's pronounced.
It really depends on context. In the English-speaking kitchens you can find the petty knife, a small knife, which is clearly coping with the fact that English favours the feminine form while couteau, knife, is masculine.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Wait, so you mean it knight isn't kuh-niget?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JN4Q5u0UpQA

And on a related note why haven't we got a "Marv Scream" to replace or otherwise supplement the "Wilhelm Scream."

Daniel Stern deserves his dues.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Whatever happened to Xenomrph? I'd like to hear his take on Alien Resurrection.
I watched it last night and while I'd say it was a bad movie, it did have some great moments. Ripley encountering the clone room for example.

e.
I actually really like the premise. It would have made for an ideal reboot of the franchise around now if there were no films after the third. Too bad what was done with the premise turned out so awful.

unlimited shrimp fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Aug 17, 2013

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Ofc. Sex Robot BPD posted:

I watched it last night and while I'd say it was a bad movie, it did have some great moments. Ripley encountering the clone room for example.

The cast was pretty solid. I don't really get the hate. Probably the ending, that poo poo was dumb and unoriginal. Also it was dumb.

Most of the films that I'm fond of but don't really make the grade* have one or two great acts followed by the turd.

*and that's a loooong list

modig
Aug 20, 2002
Who will use the $6.50 left on this Fandango bucks number I found in my drawer?
9E22-B87H5C-7H75
Won't be me.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Ofc. Sex Robot BPD posted:

e.
I actually really like the premise. It would have made for an ideal reboot of the franchise around now if there were no films after the third. Too bad what was done with the premise turned out so awful.

I don't hate A:R, but I do think it was completely unnecessary (and I'd say the same thing about Alien 3). I felt that Ripley's arc was perfectly realized at the closure of Aliens, and don't know why the series continues to tortuously return to her character when the Alien universe is so vast and interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

I don't hate A:R, but I do think it was completely unnecessary (and I'd say the same thing about Alien 3). I felt that Ripley's arc was perfectly realized at the closure of Aliens, and don't know why the series continues to tortuously return to her character when the Alien universe is so vast and interesting.

Because more people care about Sigourney Weaver fighting Aliens then they do about the Alien universe. We've had three Alien-ish movies movies without her, and the response hasn't been near as close to the universal acclaim that Alien and Aliens get.