Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

BlueInkAlchemist posted:

I've been looking into a method for carrying a water bottle on my belt without it bouncing around too much, mostly for hiking and walking around convention floors. A little Amazon searching brought me to this Camelbak Max Gear, which looks good, but I can't seem to find a shot of its rear (:heysexy:). Does it have vertical straps along the back through which I can loop a belt, or will I need to look into picking up some method of securing it? Also, are there other alternatives for my needs? The pouch is ideal but I don't want it to be too much of a pain to fiddle with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjePIbfMOZ8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

BlueInkAlchemist posted:

but I can't seem to find a shot of its rear (:heysexy:).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjePIbfMOZ8

e;fb.

Creepy Goat
Sep 19, 2010

One Swell Foop posted:

It's fine, on full you definitely hear it but it's not harsh, it's just white noise. We often have it on full in the living room while watching TV and the TV just needs a little more volume, it's not like an industrial drier. Also, it has 3 settings, on low it's quieter than my fridge, but there again, I need a new fridge.

I'm a weirdo who finds background white noise intensely calming, so that sounds perfect. Thanks!

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment

BlueInkAlchemist posted:

I've been looking into a method for carrying a water bottle on my belt without it bouncing around too much, mostly for hiking and walking around convention floors. A little Amazon searching brought me to this Camelbak Max Gear, which looks good, but I can't seem to find a shot of its rear (:heysexy:). Does it have vertical straps along the back through which I can loop a belt, or will I need to look into picking up some method of securing it? Also, are there other alternatives for my needs? The pouch is ideal but I don't want it to be too much of a pain to fiddle with.

Edit: Okay, just ignore everything I said. And because everyone else is doing it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjePIbfMOZ8

Albu-quirky Guy has a new favorite as of 19:24 on Aug 10, 2013

bomblol
Jul 17, 2009

my first crapatar
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/faler-brand-wallet When I saw this, I decided I really need to slim down from my gigantic cat wallet to something that can actually fit in my tiny pants. I'm nowhere near close to paying 50 dollars for a wallet, though. Any suggestions for something minimal in design and size?

The Light Eternal
Jun 12, 2006

A man who dares to waste one hour of time has not discovered the value of life.

bomblol posted:

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/faler-brand-wallet When I saw this, I decided I really need to slim down from my gigantic cat wallet to something that can actually fit in my tiny pants. I'm nowhere near close to paying 50 dollars for a wallet, though. Any suggestions for something minimal in design and size?

I have this one which was recommended in this thread. It's awesome and very minimal.

Illegibly Eligible
Jul 21, 2009

Illegibly Eligible posted:

EDIT: nvm. Philips Norelco G370.

So, I asked in this thread for a recommendation for a beard/mustache trimmer and then edited to this after reading the rave reviews the G370 got on the rest of the internet. Sure, it's good for a $20 trimmer... but my $35 trimmer that I intended to replace was literally only rated two stars on amazon and is a hell of a lot better than the G370. Rather than use the new one I've just been manually holding the attachments onto the old one during use. After 8 years I'm not surprised the plastic mounts finally wore away. Even so, it's better than the G370.

So I'm once again looking for a beard/mustache trimmer. I prefer a comprehensive "grooming kit" kind of deal. Needs to be rechargeable/cordless. Budget is $70, but I don't need the hottest, most expensive poo poo so much as something which ACTUALLY works well and will last a few years so long as I don't drop it.

On a related note, my Braun 5735 electric shaver is finally starting to get buggy after 8 years of consistent use and only 3 foil/blade changes. It likes to not shut off lately I've had to pull the batteries a couple times per month to get it to stop. Kind of a pain in the rear end... going to remove the batteries, discharge it, and give it an alcohol bath today in hopes of curing what I suspect to be gunk causing a short circuit somewhere. Braun's "Clean & Renew" system really impressed me since I can just refill the cartridges with isopropyl alcohol and I was wondering if this was still possible in their newer shavers. Also, is the great build quality/longevity still there? If I manage to fix my current shaver then I won't be upgrading, but if not I guess I'll need a new one.

Other electric shaver recommendations are welcome too, but nothing with the circular rotary blades... for some reason my whiskers think it's a merry go 'round and try to hop on for a ride rather than get cut.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
I am looking for a bed that has shelves for a head board. All I can find is kids stuff. The wife and I like to read in bed a lot.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
I'm looking for a nice black or dark brown messenger bag for work. The one I'm currently using has a strap that is starting to separate from the rest of the bag. I would like to keep it around $150, but I'm willing to go higher for a quality product!

I am male if that helps at all. I commute about 1 hr each way by subway, and usually take a contigo water bottle, some pens, small umbrella, and some documents to work.

Centzon Totochtin has a new favorite as of 02:29 on Aug 12, 2013

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I'm looking for a relatively cheap stereo reciever for my Dad's garage. He mostly has an iPod hooked up but occasionally uses the radio too. He has speakers mounted outside on the porch, so anything that has integrated speakers or uses a proprietary connector is out.

mmm11105
Apr 27, 2010
I need an everyday winter jacket

Criteria

1) Warm, but not super bulky - I live in Canada, so the winters are cold, but I don't do much in the way of outdoor winter sports, so it's mostly for general use (walking around town, etc)

2) Decent Looking

3) Under $150 (I live near the border, so I can order from any US site)

Currently looking at the Marmot Tuner - anyone have any experiences with it?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Mercury Ballistic posted:

I am looking for a bed that has shelves for a head board. All I can find is kids stuff. The wife and I like to read in bed a lot.
Maybe do wall-mount shelves above the headboard?

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Centzon Totochtin posted:

I'm looking for a nice black or dark brown messenger bag for work. The one I'm currently using has a strap that is starting to separate from the rest of the bag. I would like to keep it around $150, but I'm willing to go higher for a quality product!

I am male if that helps at all. I commute about 1 hr each way by subway, and usually take a contigo water bottle, some pens, small umbrella, and some documents to work.

SFbags.com has some great products, and really good customer service. I have a cargo and a muzetto.

internet inc
Jun 13, 2005

brb
taking pictures
of ur house

Centzon Totochtin posted:

There's a messenger bag thread in YLLS that will answer all your questions and more. When you post there, include pictures of bags you like.

Edit: Here.

internet inc has a new favorite as of 05:15 on Aug 12, 2013

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

mmm11105 posted:

I need an everyday winter jacket

Criteria

1) Warm, but not super bulky - I live in Canada, so the winters are cold, but I don't do much in the way of outdoor winter sports, so it's mostly for general use (walking around town, etc)

2) Decent Looking

3) Under $150 (I live near the border, so I can order from any US site)

Currently looking at the Marmot Tuner - anyone have any experiences with it?

This is what you need (I live in Alaska and this one is toasty warm even at 40 below):

http://www.amazon.com/Carhartt-Arct...tt+arctic+quilt

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
Just bought a curved shower rod, so I figure I need a new curtain too. I want to get a cloth one instead of plastic. Any recs?

Also I need an extra paid of earbuds for iphone that have controls. Just get Apple brand or are there decent alternatives around?

Ormy
Apr 5, 2005
I'm after a canvas/leather weekend/duffle bag. I've seen plenty on here in the past but when I want to find them, I can't. Is there a goon certified go to for this?

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Ormy posted:

I'm after a canvas/leather weekend/duffle bag. I've seen plenty on here in the past but when I want to find them, I can't. Is there a goon certified go to for this?

How fashionable/durable are you looking for? Amazon carries a line of duffel bags made out of ripstop material that are very durable but very unfashionable. I've had a set of them for the last 4 years and they are no worse for wear, even when I lived in India for a while.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

bomblol posted:

philswallets are pretty decent and supercheap, made by a goon to boot.

His thread's here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3503470

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

1redflag posted:

How fashionable/durable are you looking for? Amazon carries a line of duffel bags made out of ripstop material that are very durable but very unfashionable. I've had a set of them for the last 4 years and they are no worse for wear, even when I lived in India for a while.

Last time I traveled overseas I had everything in a surplus army duffel. It had shoulder straps built in so I could walk with it. I taped them down tight to the body of it and it made it through baggage handling just fine. Ugly as sin, but you'd have to work at it to damage the thing.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

I thought I had bookmarked a site for product recommendation (maybe it was even posted in this threas), but I can't find it anymore. It was basically a site recommending "the best product" for various categories - headsets, pc speakers... or anything.

I can't for the life of me remember the name and googling of course is moot.
Does anyone know which site I'm talking about?

And since I can't access the site, what are the recommended stereo bluetooth in-ear headsets these days?

Excellent, thank you
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

mcbexx has a new favorite as of 06:18 on Aug 16, 2013

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Wirecutter

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

BlueInkAlchemist posted:

Get a climbing chalk bag with two loops and use a carabiner to clip it to your belt. This also works perfect for beer bottles.

Ormy
Apr 5, 2005

Ormy posted:

For the sake of completion, I picked up this. Pretty happy!

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

Any recommendations for a gas grill under or around $200? Preferably on the smaller side- there's only two of us.

Wirecutter/the internet says get the Weber Spirit, but I don't really want to drop $400 on a grill.

Edit: also, wouldn't be opposed to a portable grill if it kicks rear end.

taco show has a new favorite as of 20:17 on Aug 18, 2013

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
Ive been pretty happy with the Weber Q150 (or Baby Q I think it's called) - it has a large cast iron grill and distributes heat really evenly.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Any recommendations for sheet brands on Amazon?

KoB has a new favorite as of 21:32 on Aug 18, 2013

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

KoB posted:

Any recommendations for sheet brands on Amazon?

What kind of sheets do you like (crisp, silky, jersey knit etc) and is any online place OK or does it have to be amazon?

El Estrago Bonito has a new favorite as of 21:41 on Aug 18, 2013

KoB
May 1, 2009
Silky, dont want to spend much more than $100 but Im open to more. Amazon preferred just because I have an Amazon card and Prime.

Imasalmon
Mar 19, 2003

Meet me in the Hall of Fame

El Estrago Bonito posted:

What kind of sheets do you like (crisp, silky, jersey knit etc) and is any online place OK or does it have to be amazon?

Crisp. I'm not the one that asked, but I am curious.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Also curious, but for silky sheets.

The Light Eternal
Jun 12, 2006

Pure Beech Modal sheets are awesome. Buy them. They are $70-$80 for a set depending on mattress size.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

The Light Eternal posted:

Pure Beech Modal sheets are awesome. Buy them. They are $70-$80 for a set depending on mattress size.

What is the texture like?

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
I would like to wirelessly stream my music through the 3.5mm jack on my car deck via Bluetooth. Anyone ever accomplish something like this?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
People have reported varying degrees of success using bluetooth receivers. Most of the complaints revolve around having to physically switch the unit on every time you get in the car. Alternately, bluetooth has pretty much become a standard option on all but the cheapest of headunits - A2DP Bluetooth equipped stereos start in the $80-100 range.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Geoj posted:

People have reported varying degrees of success using bluetooth receivers. Most of the complaints revolve around having to physically switch the unit on every time you get in the car. Alternately, bluetooth has pretty much become a standard option on all but the cheapest of headunits - A2DP Bluetooth equipped stereos start in the $80-100 range.

Thanks. I started researching some more and I think I'm going to just keep using a 3.5mm jack in my car. Every one I seem to find had reports of lower audio quality or required external power (which means I'm running cables anyway.

I just picked up a cheap no tangle cable and a car mount for dx.com.

EDIT: A follow up just in case I don't feel the car mount I got is secure. Anyone know a good Dash mount for an HTC ONE(M7)? I hate hanging things from the window and I'd like to ensure my phone won't go flying if I slam on the brakes.

m.hache has a new favorite as of 19:43 on Aug 19, 2013

GoodCleanFun
Jan 28, 2004

m.hache posted:

Thanks. I started researching some more and I think I'm going to just keep using a 3.5mm jack in my car. Every one I seem to find had reports of lower audio quality or required external power (which means I'm running cables anyway.

I just picked up a cheap no tangle cable and a car mount for dx.com.

EDIT: A follow up just in case I don't feel the car mount I got is secure. Anyone know a good Dash mount for an HTC ONE(M7)? I hate hanging things from the window and I'd like to ensure my phone won't go flying if I slam on the brakes.

http://www.proclipusa.com/

A bit pricey, but it seems to be one of the better solutions. No complains in the three years I've been using one with my iphone.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

The Light Eternal posted:

I get the jersey/t-shirt finish Modal sheets and since the first set I purchased years ago I've bought nothing else. They pill up a bit but not to the point I care.

Meefy Bread
Apr 4, 2005

lol i can cast spells
Any recommendations for Bath Towels? My past few purchases have been random brands from Bed, Bath, and Beyond but I've yet to be particularly wowed as a lot of them have been too fluffy and/or not particularly absorbent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Light Eternal
Jun 12, 2006

Etrips posted:

What is the texture like?

They make Sateen ones and jersey ones. Both are extremely soft, but the Sateen ones are a bit crisper.

• Locked thread