Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

Arbite posted:

Any word on whether this is going to continue the story or just expand it?

A friend of mine who somewhat knows Japanese informs me the article talks about the location test and pretty much nothing else, so there's that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

Mio Bison posted:

E: Also taking sidebets on what they're going to do to Naoto and which character they will nerf the everliving gently caress out of for no discernible reason

For some reason I feel like they're going to nerf the gently caress out of Yukiko and make her absolute worst low-tier :sigh:

theonlypie314SA
Mar 19, 2013

Coca Koala posted:

For some reason I feel like they're going to nerf the gently caress out of Yukiko and make her absolute worst low-tier :sigh:

Speaking of nerfs and changes:

http://shoryuken.com/2013/08/15/new...r-august-16-18/

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I hope everyone gets nerfed and Kanji emerges supreme. :getin:

Edit:

quote:

Kanji Tatsumi
5C paralyzes the opponent.

YES

Arist fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Aug 16, 2013

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Junpei looks to have some sort of baseball mechanic??? There looks to be a diamond plus markers for Strikes, Balls and Outs. I guess it makes sense since I think it's canon(?) that he went on to become a baseball player after 3. Judging from Yukari's crazy outfit, I'm guessing she's working for Mitsuru's Shadow Operatives group.

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Aug 16, 2013

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

PunkBoy posted:

Junpei looks to have some sort of baseball mechanic??? There looks to be a diamond plus markers for Strikes, Balls and Outs.

I'm thinking it's maybe a Sol clean hit thing. Clean hits get you bases/runs, mistimed ones get you strikes/outs. Balls got me stumped though.

Stunedge is posting updates to twitter. EX supers sound dumb/awesome.

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

SB Bufudyne is going to be Mitsuru summoning the rocky mountains, callin' it.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

I wonder how Yukari is going to be different from Yukiko, since both seem to be heavily into projectile zoning. According to the Stunedge twitter, players are comparing Yukari to Hawkweye.

Edit: Dual God Hands for SB version. :getin: I'm hoping for some crazy SB Power Charge.

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Aug 16, 2013

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Two hands coming down during EX God Hand is the dumbest, hypest thing I can think of

Chickenfrogman
Sep 16, 2011

by exmarx
Yes. Junpei's in, that's all I've ever wanted.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Junpei's Instakill better be Vorpal Blade.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
Wait what.

Awesome.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

I'll start caring once I see Koromaru playable. :colbert:

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

quote:

too bad, theres no shadow shadow labrys

Well gently caress this poo poo then.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Mason Dixon posted:

I'll start caring once I see Koromaru playable. :colbert:

Koromaru should team up with the fox from P4 and ride each other Brementown Musicians style.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Neo Featherman Yukari and Baseball Star Junpei? Is this heaven? :allears: Also it looks like there's space for 2 more characters. And the P3 people (and Labrys'es) are the bottom row and the top are all P4.

But we're all out of P4 characters.

Perhaps some Glam Rockers and Motorcycle mechanics will join our battle at the ultimate?

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Cbie's 2C now freezes opponents. :stare:

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

I hope one of those spare slots is Adachi.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

The_Frag_Man posted:

I hope one of those spare slots is Adachi.

That would be pretty sick, but isn't it a given that one of them will probably be for the game's villain?

Mr. Fun
Sep 22, 2006

ABSOLUTE KINOGRAPHY
Wait, so there's a shadow version of regular Labrys, but no shadow version of Shadow Labrys? Bullshit.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

I'm hoping one of those slots is Koromaru, personally. It's probably going to end up being Marie and Ken or something, though.

Mr. Fun
Sep 22, 2006

ABSOLUTE KINOGRAPHY

Fungah! posted:

I'm hoping one of those slots is Koromaru, personally. It's probably going to end up being Marie and Ken or something, though.

Metis and Shadow Metis

Batigh
Dec 21, 2009
Shadow Shadow Labrys sounds like it could have been crazy with Titanomachias, but with the fixed time limit that probably wouldn't have worked any better than the normal system, unfortunately. Still want it due to crazy combo possibilities it would bring, hope they reconsider.

quote:

Yolo Narukami can't sweep into 5D, no jump cancels for 5B, 2B, 5C

Excellent, gently caress that guy. Chie should probably get the same treatment for sweep -> 5DD.

E: As hype as Shadow Rage is, I hope it doesn't end up feeling like everyone has Geneijin if that becomes popular.

EE:

ほーちゃん(HC) ‏@hc0519 39m posted:

slab, swapped input for 2C and 8C, DP does not cause wall bound even on counter, 6cards #P4A

I don't really understand the input swap, but totally fine with losing the bounce, if they're moving away from super-strong Oki that would have been too much for the New Deal.

Batigh fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Aug 16, 2013

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Maybe the lead producer will finally get his wish and Nanako will be playable!

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

This'll save me from having to buy P4A.

On that note, is it even out in europe yet?

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

Tithin Melias posted:

This'll save me from having to buy P4A.

On that note, is it even out in europe yet?

Yeah I picked up a copy from JB Hi-Fi a while back (like at least pre-PAX), haven't played it much though.

Sputty
Mar 20, 2005

All the changes sound really good. I'm super excited and sort of blind sided by the announcement

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

quote:

Junpei's Baseball Gauge- Whiffing bat normals = strike lolll. Getting hit = out. 3 outs and the runners on base disappear. #p4u

Sounds like a Frank West style level up character but with the risk of potentially losing some of those benefits.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Cheap Trick posted:

Yeah I picked up a copy from JB Hi-Fi a while back (like at least pre-PAX), haven't played it much though.

Guess what I'm buying next week then! (I'm buying it for the story, I swear).

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
I wonder if one of the new characters is going to be Marie. They made kind of a big deal about her in P4G so I would imagine she'd make the cut.

Mr Wind Up Bird fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Aug 16, 2013

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
Why does yukari still have that stupid giant head? Didn't they learn by now?

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Sounds like a Frank West style level up character but with the risk of potentially losing some of those benefits.
More Junpei stuff from AMERIKAJIN ‏@jiyunaJP:

quote:

Junpei got up to 19 runs. After 10 he started glowing, dunno if that was a super or just from the runs. Dunno what effect Balls has. #p4u

Junpei's Bat Super can hit HOMERUN! Does 2100 dmg and gives 3 runs...I think it's spacing related. Need to hit the bat's sweet spot. #p4u

Junpei glowing again after 10 runs, that seems to be it. And his win pose is identical to his corner P3 disco point win pose haha. #p4u

Junpei's runs as well as his glowing mode carry over between rounds. He's at 31 right now. Aigis has air-rush super like Guile in MVC2 #P4U

Shadow Ninja 64 fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Aug 16, 2013

Antillese
Feb 16, 2006

SRK posted:

When using Shadow type, pressing A+C+D simultaneously when the SP gauge is full actives Shadow Rage, which allows for unlimited use of SP Skills, Skill Boosts, etc. for a fixed period of time. You can also cancel Skills into other Skills. Using Shadow Rage, with the free use of meter you can connect with combos that would normally be impossible to do. It’s fair to say that Shadow type offers a huge buff to offense.

Sounds like Custom Combos/A-Groove. It will be interesting to see if the non-shadow types survive higher-level play considering how strong CC/A-Groove was in their respective games. Giving up your burst is a pretty substantial drawback.

theonlypie314SA
Mar 19, 2013

Some more news:

From this: http://shoryuken.com/2013/08/15/new...r-august-16-18/

quote:

Junpei and Yukari
The two new characters both have styles and systems yet to be seen in P4A. Yukari specializes with her bow and wind-type “Garu” skills and excels at speed. Her bow attacks are extremely fast and difficult to avoid on reaction. When one of her arrows hits “Maha Garu”, which remains on screen for a fixed period of time, it becomes a guided missile, giving her a tricky factor. Her bow is great at long range, but she can also rush down in close range with jump attacks and Persona attacks.

Junpei Iori is a power-type character with a variety of attacks with his bat. The bat has long reach, so works best with just a bit of distance between Junpei and the opponent. His unique system is tied into the rules of baseball. When Junpei connects with a bat attack, a runner advances, possibly scoring a run, which gives a buff to certain moves after scoring 10 runs. The improvements to his attacks are substantial, so finding mix-ups and combos to efficiently advance runners is a part of the character’s charm.

Shadow Types
In the new P4A, when choosing a character, a type is also selected. You can choose between Normal type and Shadow type (Elizabeth and Shadow Labrys do not have Shadow type). Normal type allows the use of Bursts for pushing back the rushing opponent or in combos with One More Bursts. Shadow type swaps the Burst for a new system, Shadow Rage. For players of the previous version of P4A, Normal type offers the same sort of feel as before.

When using Shadow type, pressing A+C+D simultaneously when the SP gauge is full actives Shadow Rage, which allows for unlimited use of SP Skills, Skill Boosts, etc. for a fixed period of time. You can also cancel Skills into other Skills. Using Shadow Rage, with the free use of meter you can connect with combos that would normally be impossible to do. It’s fair to say that Shadow type offers a huge buff to offense.

As for other contrasting points, Shadow type and Normal type have different auto-combos. Normal type includes new moves in the combination, making useful as a base for combos. In Shadow type, the fourth hit of the auto-combo builds more meter. In addition, Shadow type carries the SP gauge from the previous round. There doesn’t appear to any differences in special move properties, attack power or defense power between the two modes.

System Changes

When activating certain Skills, you can hold the A button to charge the special attack using the new “S Hold System”. The moves activated with the S Hold System vary by character. While the special move looks the same as before, charged special moves have additional properties, such as invincibility. While the time to charge the attack is a bit long, if used properly it should add to both offense and defense.

A significant change from the previous version is that you can now cancel normal moves into Hops. Since you can do normal attacks from a Hop, incorporating Hop cancels in close-range fights adds a new level of strategy. While normal attacks from Hops aren’t overhead, you can now moves from Hops slightly easier than before, making them easier to use as a counter to throws.

The ways to achieve a Fatal Counters are also slightly different. Taking a hit in during the recovery of a Furious Action will now always be a Fatal Counter, regardless of the type of attack used.

Other changes include the ability to perform certain Skills from a backdash. The D version of All Out Attacks is now cancellable.

Changes to Existing Characters

The existing characters have new moves and Skills. The new Skills seem to expand the play for all of the characters, with plenty of uses. Existing moves have changes to start-up, untechable time, proration, etc., so players will need to create new combos and mix-ups.

Images

Better look at Yukari's outfit

Shadow Yukari

Shadow Junpei

Shadow Yosuke

Yukari as Featherman?

Lastly, Yukari and Junpei's bios were partially translated from tumblr: http://tansetsu.tumblr.com/post/58410791741/http-www-famitsu-com-images-000-038-325-l-520d7c0

quote:

http://www.famitsu.com/images/000/038/325/l_520d7c0945908.jpg

the first part of the bio says something like “Besides spending all of his time at a part time job, this year he’s working as a baseball coach! Although his simple, happy go lucky personality hasn’t changed his <something> power causes major <something>”

http://www.famitsu.com/images/000/038/325/l_520d7c0a28bcc.jpg

the bio says something like: “Formerly a member of sees, a beautiful comrade. Within her daily life as an active college model, taking advantage of her looks and high physical ability she’s working as a tokusatsu hero actress. [Aim] the trajectory of her bow and arrow freely! With her arrows of justice she will hit you dead on!”

now quick disclaimer not all of this was translated, there were some kanji that were simply too blurry…that said I think at least the jist of the bios about Junpei and Yukari are getting acrossed.

Now we know why Yukari looks the way she does.

Edit - Videos!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82RD58ovQdQ Elizabeth vs Junpei

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5njd88-UNaU Elizabeth vs Junpei 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAfljz8W5Fc Elizabeth vs Junpei 3

Untranslated command list for Yukari and Junpei

theonlypie314SA fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Aug 16, 2013

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

Don't forget about the new command lists, as well as a sneak peek on how Junpei fights.

Heck, Elizabeth has a new counter which looks a'ight.

EDIT: drat you edited that in JUST as I was posting it up, too. :v:

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Oh my Labrys sounds not-terrible now:

quote:

Current Labrys Info:
- Only has 3 persona cards
- New move: Persona shoots bubble. Traps opponent on hit
- New move: Similar to Testament's Gravedigger.
- Fully charged 2B is unblockable, Charge time too big for unblockable setups
- Fully charged DP is unblockable
- New gatlings:
5AA>2B
5AA>5B
5AA>2AB
- 5AA>5AA Loop doesn't work anymore
- 5AA has been changed. Doesn't knockdown though
- 5AAA has been changed. No info how this has changed.
- 2B has changed. Opponent floats higher? Not sure about this yet.
- 2B > jc > j.B > jc > j.B no longer works
- Original jBB is j2B now
- jBB input is still there. Doesn't rise Labrys in combos
- SB Beast does more damage. Burns Axe meter
- SB tsurugi
- Axe starts at blue axe each round.
- D Beast/Mojuu still drains all axe meter
- Still carries over axe meter each round
- SB Gears cover the whole ground.
- 5A > 5B > 236A still works on yellow/red axe
- 236A>A> dash 5A works. Not sure about axe lvl yet

Source is Koma Labrys's Twitter and Tecta1Eastside from DL.

Akihiko is now a DBZ character apparently. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=YrbNYMwVkBo&t=98

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Aug 16, 2013

theonlypie314SA
Mar 19, 2013

The US will be getting a P4A artbook that will cost $40 and be 175 pages long:

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/08/1...28Siliconera%29

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Oh my Labrys sounds not-terrible now:

Source is Koma Labrys's Twitter and Tecta1Eastside from DL.

Akihiko is now a DBZ character apparently. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=YrbNYMwVkBo&t=98

Sweet, a Tartarus stage!

EQFiddleCastrol
Sep 19, 2002

YO YO YO -- this is a shout-out to my fellow BBB's (Big Booty Bitches). Love you Celestie and Linds :)
really, really excited for this. honestly I would have been happy with just two (or four? please four) new characters, but I'm interested in the direction the system changes are heading. I know P4A was kept mechanically simpler than past Arcsys games, and for good reason, but I'm looking forward to them opening that up a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

More details about Junpei and Yukari courtesy of SoWL on Dustloop:

http://www.dustloop.com/forums/showthread.php?16895-P4A2-News-Gameplay-Discussion/page26&p=1531354&viewfull=1#post1531354
http://www.dustloop.com/forums/showthread.php?16895-P4A2-News-Gameplay-Discussion/page27&p=1531359&viewfull=1#post1531359

quote:

New character 1: Junpei Iori
Persona: Trismegistus

Junpei now works as a coach for a schoolboy baseball team. His battle style is also closely connected to baseball.

A cheerful young man, Junpei is dressed in baseball clothes, so it is not surprising that he also has a special baseball gauge (that you can see on the screenshots). This gauge has a scoreboard that keeps track of the score accumulated by hitting the enemy with specific special moves. When the score is high enough, the character’s performance improves.

Swing that bat, whoosh, whoosh! As in the original game, Trismegistus has some fire attacks.

Though I didn’t examine this character in great detail, there is a super-move that gives you a whole bunch of points. After getting about 10 points, Junpei also started shining? He feels like a powerful close-ranged fighter with the emphasis on powerful single attacks. You can also use that back to strike back various projectiles shot at you!

A button normals: bare-handed attacks. The reach is pretty short? Ah, you can also do a dive kick similar to Narukami’s in the air!
B button normals: attacks with the bat. Have the best reach in Junpei’s arsenal.
C button normals: Trismegistus attacks by shooting fire.
D button normals: Trismegistus rushes forward.

Special move 1: Junpei swings at the enemy with a bat. This is the special at the end of the AAAA combo.
Special move 2: Junpei slides forward! Hits low and low-profiles many moves. It also feels like you can follow it up after a dash… (doesn’t remember clearly)
Special move 3: Junpei assumes the bunting pose. It has a hitbox, since I was able to reflect the enemy projectile with this.
Special move 4: Junpei strikes a pose, as Trismegistus falls down on the enemy. The distance depends on the button pressed.
SP Skill 1: A fiery swing full of excitement! You can also hold down the button.
R-Action: Charge the power and swing with the bat! You can hold it for quite a while, too.

There was a lot of other stuff, but I couldn’t check it out… Sorry!

Junpei strikes the “Safe!” pose, and the Persona falls on the enemy. The opponent is certainly going to be surprised by this.

The sliding that every baseball fan loves so much! Junpei is shining, but is that because it’s the victory pose?..

quote:

New character 2: Yukari Takeba
Persona: Isis

After graduation, Yukari’s been working as an actress in various super-sentai shows. This time, she’s wearing a Featherman suit. She even wears the mask, though she takes it off before the fight begins.

A strong-minded young woman that hails from Persona 3. Since she fights with a bow, she makes for a good zoning character. She combines various long-ranged attacks with applying various status ailments (such as charm and confusion). If the arrow passes through the special Garu swirl, it becomes enchanted and tracks down the opponent!

Most of Yukari’s attacks are long-ranged projectiles. I had fun shooting the opponent down!

A button normals: Yukari kicks at the enemy’s feet.
B button normals: On the ground, Yukari shoots an arrow upwards. You can hold down the button, too! In midair, you can change the angle of the shot by tilting the stick.
C button normals: Isis creates a Garu swirl that attacks the enemy.

Special move 1: Yukari shoots an arrow straight forward. You can charge this move, too.
Special move 2: Isis creates a ball of wind and throws it in a parabolic trajectory.
Special move 3: Yukari covers the arrow with some kind of poison? The exact properties of this move are unknown.
SP Skill 1: An arrow that tracks the opponent’s position. It’s shot really, really fast!
Awakening SP Skill: A huge tornado appears on the screen. The exact position depends on the button pressed.
R-Action: A dashing attack that gets Yukari behind the opponent.

That’s all. Sorry for not trying so much stuff! (Especially the D normals).

Yukari can create Garu spheres all over the screen. It seems you can also do it in midair.

An explosion of a flashy special move! Of course, the cut-in is there, too.

Yukari has some melee attacks and throws, too. Though difficult, it seems that she’s able of fighting up close, too.

• Locked thread