Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Nathilus posted:

It could also just be an inference she makes, equal parts noticing that when the soul gems are about to become completely corrupt people just vanish and philosophizing. It's not knowable for anyone in the cycle that a completely corrupt soul gem is dangerous, since Madoka magically takes care of it outside their frame of reference. Homura again being the exception. It's still a logical leap to make though, given that they know soul gems do gradually become corrupt and Newton's third law. Presumably not even the incubators know about the danger of a corrupt soul gem, being just as tied to the current cycle as anyone else. Besides, Kyubey is notably surprised and intrigued by Homura's story, but specifically points out that it's not something that's verifiable.

Speaking of which, that reminds me of my favorite scene in the series. I love how Kyubey is obviously horrified by Madoka's reckless presumption when she makes her wish. It really underscores how hardcore she is being, as well as being a cathartic turnabout given that he has been playing God for the entire show.

I don't think it's an inference at all. She has another line in that section, "You've known that since you first gained this power, surely." This comes just before the explanation. It suggests that its something bunnycat tells them when when making contracts so all girls know what comes at the end. I don't think bunnycat itself understands the structure any more than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

ViggyNash posted:

I don't think it's an inference at all. She has another line in that section, "You've known that since you first gained this power, surely." This comes just before the explanation. It suggests that its something bunnycat tells them when when making contracts so all girls know what comes at the end. I don't think bunnycat itself understands the structure any more than that.

It's not knowable for Kyubey either and he flat out admits it: "Even we can't explain why soul gems that get too sullied shatter". The fact that a corrupt soul gem creates misfortune is unknowable in the current cycle because Madoka magically gets rid of them outside of the perceivable universe before they can cause any harm. It's not a huge logical leap to make as an equal an opposite reaction (as well as the perceivable fact that they slowly become tainted with darkness), but there is no way to verify that a completely tainted soul gem is dangerous or causes misfortune. As far as anyone but Homura is aware, soul gems simply become more and more corrupt then finally shatter and vanish. Why? No one knows. That's just how it is. Without the whole witch effect, soul gems are harmless to everyone except their owner.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nathilus posted:

It's not knowable for Kyubey either and he flat out admits it: "Even we can't explain why soul gems that get too sullied shatter". The fact that a corrupt soul gem creates misfortune is unknowable in the current cycle because Madoka magically gets rid of them outside of the perceivable universe before they can cause any harm. It's not a huge logical leap to make as an equal an opposite reaction (as well as the perceivable fact that they slowly become tainted with darkness), but there is no way to verify that a completely tainted soul gem is dangerous or causes misfortune. As far as anyone but Homura is aware, soul gems simply become more and more corrupt then finally shatter and vanish. Why? No one knows. That's just how it is. Without the whole witch effect, soul gems are harmless to everyone except their owner.

They can also purify their soul gems with those cube things they collect from the wraiths, as we see Homura doing, so the magical girls aren't even necessarily on a time limit. They just need to stay in control and not die.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Ugggghhh.........http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2013-08-15/warner-presents-pacific-rim-del-toro-with-madoka-magica-films

Official Warner Brothers Twitter posted:

[del Toro] has a good facial expression!! It couldn't be that, in the near future, theremight be a Hollywood live-action adaptation! Oh my goodness...!?

Hopefully this will be stuck in development hell if Warner Brothers decides to go forward with it. I don't think even Del Toro could make a good Madoka Magica film.

IShallRiseAgain fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Aug 15, 2013

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome
Oh, please no. If there was ever an anime that absolutely could not work as a live-action adaptation, it's Madoka Magica. It was very deliberately designed to be animated. Please Hollywood, don't. I'll pay for all the Transformers movies you want, just please leave this one alone.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I'd much rather have Del Toro working on a Madoka adaptation than a Monster adaptation.

EDIT: And I'd prefer even more to just have a loosely-inspired original film that had Madoka in its DNA.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

A) Even if a life action movie does get made, it won't affect the existence of the original (and even horrible live action stuff like The Last Airbender got people to check out the cartoon so even in the worst case I feel like it's a net gain).

B) If they can't get stuff like Akira off the ground, there's no way that this would ever leave development hell. Heck, it probably won't even make it that far.

e: VVV Speed Racer and Dragonball Evolution, to name the two that are the peak and nadir respectively of live action anime made in the west.

Srice fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Aug 15, 2013

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

Has Hollywood ever done a real anime adaptation? Hell, the west in general.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

DerLeo posted:

Has Hollywood ever done a real anime adaptation? Hell, the west in general.

Dragonball Movie exists (and is totally amazing).

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Ugggghhh.........http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2013-08-15/warner-presents-pacific-rim-del-toro-with-madoka-magica-films

Hopefully this will be stuck in development hell if Warner Brothers decides to go forward with it. I don't think even Del Toro could make a good Madoka Magica film.

Is my sarcasm detector broken or did you actually take a tweet like that seriously?

I'm pretty sure that tweet is meant to be taken as a joke.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
It won't happen, but if it somehow did, I'd watch it (and just be prepared to be disappointed).

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I would definitely watch a movie with Madoka influence; there are plenty of worse things to base a movie on (and many of them got made).

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Influence, maybe, a straight adaptation, probably not. Besides, there'd have to be so much freaking CG.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
At the very least, if he does do this, it shouldn't be about magical girls. I don't think the western mainstream can handle magical girls.

Make them superheroes maybe.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ViggyNash posted:

At the very least, if he does do this, it shouldn't be about magical girls. I don't think the western mainstream can handle magical girls.

Make them superheroes maybe.

Perhaps a secret military unit tasked with defending the Earth from poorly understood phenomena. Magical girls with a different paint job.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Well, the key lies with an innocent taking up a dubious deal for magical powers and perks only for it to all go to hell. A subverted Green Lantern deal might work.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Superheroes are essentially the magical girls of Hollywood (albeit less prolific), so it would be pretty easy to simply replace the latter with the former.

rvm
May 6, 2013
Well, they can make it something like a cross between Cabin In The Woods and Power Rangers.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

ViggyNash posted:

Superheroes are essentially the magical girls of Hollywood (albeit less prolific), so it would be pretty easy to simply replace the latter with the former.

So basically a less cynical Kick-rear end?

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

ViggyNash posted:

Just call them wizards and pretend it's a Harry Potter knock-off.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

veekie posted:

Well, the key lies with an innocent taking up a dubious deal for magical powers and perks only for it to all go to hell. A subverted Green Lantern deal might work.

It's funny that it never occurred to me before that Green Lanterns are basically magical girls, even though they're mostly male.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Silver2195 posted:

It's funny that it never occurred to me before that Green Lanterns are basically magical girls, even though they're mostly male.

Via an agreement with a mysterious and powerful entity, a Green Lantern gains great power via a magical object that transforms them. They fight against despair and negativity across the universe.

It's Madoka, but with guys. And every girl is the green girl.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Kinda obvious once you realize it eh.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

There's already been a massively succesful American-made magical girl TV show.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

There's already been a massively succesful American-made magical girl TV show.

If you're talking about the Powderpuff Girls, that was a decade ago and I don't think there's been anything since.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

ViggyNash posted:

If you're talking about the Powderpuff Girls, that was a decade ago and I don't think there's been anything since.

I was talking about Buffy the Vampire Slayer, actually. :v:

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

ViggyNash posted:

This is funnier to think about when you remember that Japan made their own anime adaptation of PPG which was as straight up generic magical girl as you can get.

I guess the lesson is giving normal people magical/super powers is a popular storytelling genre in all regions. Details and intricacies vary. :v:

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Super Jay Mann posted:

Details and intricacies vary. :v:

But never by very much. Hell, even Power Rangers is a lot like a magical girl show.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

PerrineClostermann posted:

But never by very much. Hell, even Power Rangers is a lot like a magical girl show.

Power Rangers is a mashup of Super Sentai footage, which in itself was the inspiration for Sailor Moon's style of magical girl series which have been the standard ever since.

Everything is connected. :tinfoil:

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Super Jay Mann posted:

Power Rangers is a mashup of Super Sentai footage, which in itself was the inspiration for Sailor Moon's style of magical girl series which have been the standard ever since.

Everything is connected. :tinfoil:

It isn't sentai, but toku and magical girl shows have had bleedover into each other since Go Nagai made Cutie Honey in the 70s. Cutie Honey's original anime and manga are pretty heavy on the tokusatsu hero inspiration/parody.

We really gotta simul the 70s Cutie Honey anime sometime.

jonjonaug fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Aug 16, 2013

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'd be up for it, that's one of the classics I've been meaning to watch/read/absorb.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I'd be cool with a Madoka Magica live-action adaptation done well, but my main hang-up is "how the gently caress do you make pink hair look good?"

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Mordaedil posted:

I'd be cool with a Madoka Magica live-action adaptation done well, but my main hang-up is "how the gently caress do you make pink hair look good?"

Puella Magi Madoka Mallgoth

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
You could probably make a live action Madoka Magica adaptation about Baltimore gangsters. The magical girl thing is fluff.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Mercrom posted:

You could probably make a live action Madoka Magica adaptation about Baltimore gangsters. The magical girl thing is fluff.

Leading a life of crime affords certain...benefits. But these streets don't give for free; there's always a price.

rvm
May 6, 2013
Starring Chiwetel Ejiofor as "Madoka" and Idris Elba as "Homura".

Pensive
Oct 31, 2012

Mordaedil posted:

Either make it part of the magical girl transformation (make it all glowy and stuff with CG too) and give them normal hair otherwise, or you cold give everyone hair highlights. It's already a psudo-SciFi setting, so something like that wouldn't stand out too much , especially if they retain all of the weird architecture.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I'd say a loose adaption (or whatever you'd call it) would be better than 'keep the themes but change everything around' - which would make it more of a Faust adaption than PMMM anyway - or 'mostly copy+paste complete with wacky-haired magical girls and a terrible cat-creature standing in for the devil'. For example, I'd say 'young girls/women get magical powers by making a contract with a satan-analogue' should be kept, but there's no real reason to keep the color-schemes, or not change out for a different Satan, or not setting it in, say, a Detroit ghetto, etc.

Of course, I have zero belief that this will go anywhere at all, so it's all moot anyway.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
He could take a route like Pirates 4 and use it as inspiration for a Pacific Rim sequel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES

Mordaedil posted:

I'd say Nicki Minaj but Nicki Minaj.

If the Kick-rear end movies have taught me anything, it's that people are okay with little girls beating the poo poo out of things, as long as it's flashy.

• Locked thread