Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

HyperFruit(tm)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
lmao the top comment on that Co La track. Of course he's a loving scrub.

talktapes
Apr 14, 2007

You ever hear of the neutron bomb?

Mike_V posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHFFlrSZF-U

Old but best part is the namedropping at 2:15. And talking about the album while looking towards where the cover should be on the green screen.

Also count me in as a "wish I saw this thread earlier" dude. Slowly working through the links but a ton of good poo poo in here.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Mike_V posted:

I don't get the hostility towards Fantano. He's a really well-meaning guy who seems to recognize that reviews are about more than just assigning a score, and he listens to an admirable variety of stuff.

Can you guys explain what you have against him? He helps to turn people on to some good music IMO.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

His reviews are nebulous as gently caress, reviewing albums is kinda pointless anyway, maybe. you should look at the bigger picture. he says nothing of substance because he doesn't really understand a lot of the music he reviews and ends up saying stuff like 'this album is really chocolatey and round' or 'various reverbs and such' and its like listening to a giant bald baby with tits

o.m. 94 fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Aug 10, 2013

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Gamma Nerd posted:

I don't get the hostility towards Fantano. He's a really well-meaning guy who seems to recognize that reviews are about more than just assigning a score, and he listens to an admirable variety of stuff.

Can you guys explain what you have against him? He helps to turn people on to some good music IMO.

He's a huge dork that loves the sound of his own voice. I can't believe he's caught on because he sounds exactly like the super irritating guy at the party, but danny brown likes him??

slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

He's also a loving melon apparently so there's that

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

He's never even been to England

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

lol I forgot Zomby went in on him.

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

miy mwoiultlh tbreaptpreude ifno srteavtiecr more

slowdave posted:

He's also a loving melon apparently so there's that

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

oiseaux morts 1994 posted:

he says nothing of substance because he doesn't really understand a lot of the music he reviews and ends up saying stuff like 'this album is really chocolatey and round' or 'various reverbs and such' and its like listening to a giant bald baby with tits

Yeah but on the other hand I don't think he claims to be a "serious" scholarly reviewer. I totally understand your criticism but I have a soft spot for him because his enthusiasm is really palpable and it makes me happy to see people enjoying music like he does.

admittedly he has pretty bad musical taste - he's said he likes pretty dumb poo poo like dream theater, but hey i like the guy for some reason

Gamma Nerd fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Aug 10, 2013

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
At the very least, I gotta respect a guy who puts up five reviews a week.

Also here's another NYC, Hell 3:00 AM preview that I think was missed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvKoO6mr4_g

loving hell this sounds amazing.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Gamma Nerd posted:

Yeah but on the other hand I don't think he claims to be a "serious" scholarly reviewer. I totally understand your criticism but I have a soft spot for him because his enthusiasm is really palpable and it makes me happy to see people enjoying music like he does.

admittedly he has pretty bad musical taste - he's said he likes pretty dumb poo poo like dream theater, but hey i like the guy for some reason

Dudes well spoken and doesn't have bad taste, he listens to everything, but as a result he has a really superficial view of stuff. Like, his review of Floral Shoppe is an introduction to "vaporwave" and he talks very specifically about his assumptions around how the sounds were built and that he didn't like the fact that the samples weren't repurposed to create a new sonic artifact, as you might be familiar with in say hip hop, or techno / house etc. The fact that the music is almost replayed verbatim is the whole point, and he's trying to critique it on terms that a piece of music must be a construction that has a uniqueness, a purpose of its own. This music is not that, it is blurring the lines and bringing into question issues of authorship and what it means to create an original peice of music, by testing those boundaries. Far Side Virtual, for instance is wholly subservient this ideal to the point that there are no hooks, no memorable moments, but, to quote earlier posters, a "pleasure-field" of music that is digested and subsequently excreted and forgotten. A junk noise artifact built from forgotten cultural detritus. It's not music that can be reviewed in such a traditional way alongside all the dubstep and rock that he usually talks about. You can't say "I liked track 12" about this kind of music, there's no singular reference point. It's pure noise. I struggle to explain myself on this matter but you get what I'm trying to say

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Anyway if you need me I'll be smokin a blunt watching the Terminator on fire in that JF vid for the rest of time. Money

acephalousuniverse
Nov 4, 2012
Christ the end of that video with the guy going MTV MTV MTV MTV in sync with the terminator on fire is intense.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

oiseaux morts 1994 posted:

Dudes well spoken and doesn't have bad taste, he listens to everything, but as a result he has a really superficial view of stuff. Like, his review of Floral Shoppe is an introduction to "vaporwave" and he talks very specifically about his assumptions around how the sounds were built and that he didn't like the fact that the samples weren't repurposed to create a new sonic artifact, as you might be familiar with in say hip hop, or techno / house etc. The fact that the music is almost replayed verbatim is the whole point, and he's trying to critique it on terms that a piece of music must be a construction that has a uniqueness, a purpose of its own. This music is not that, it is blurring the lines and bringing into question issues of authorship and what it means to create an original peice of music, by testing those boundaries. Far Side Virtual, for instance is wholly subservient this ideal to the point that there are no hooks, no memorable moments, but, to quote earlier posters, a "pleasure-field" of music that is digested and subsequently excreted and forgotten. A junk noise artifact built from forgotten cultural detritus. It's not music that can be reviewed in such a traditional way alongside all the dubstep and rock that he usually talks about. You can't say "I liked track 12" about this kind of music, there's no singular reference point. It's pure noise. I struggle to explain myself on this matter but you get what I'm trying to say

Honestly, I agree with Fantano that Floral Shoppe was really dull and poorly made. The concept and imagery behind a lot of the vaporwave stuff is cool and interesting, but it feels like a lot of the time, the image surrounding a lot of the PrismCorp stuff is way more interesting than the actual music. It's not even that the idea is bad; I think Chuck Person's Eccojams takes the exact same concept of making slow, dreamlike, murky re-imaginings of nostalgic popular music but manages to manipulate the samples in a way that sounds (IMO) more emotive, haunting, and memorable than Floral Shoppe. I think Fantano is right in that the best type of experimental music is not only interesting on a conceptual level but also stimulating on its own. To me, PrismCorp just feels like lackluster execution on a strong premise.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

HorseRenoir posted:

Honestly, I agree with Fantano that Floral Shoppe was really dull and poorly made. The concept and imagery behind a lot of the vaporwave stuff is cool and interesting, but it feels like a lot of the time, the image surrounding a lot of the PrismCorp stuff is way more interesting than the actual music. It's not even that the idea is bad; I think Chuck Person's Eccojams takes the exact same concept of making slow, dreamlike, murky re-imaginings of nostalgic popular music but manages to manipulate the samples in a way that sounds (IMO) more emotive, haunting, and memorable than Floral Shoppe. I think Fantano is right in that the best type of experimental music is not only interesting on a conceptual level but also stimulating on its own. To me, PrismCorp just feels like lackluster execution on a strong premise.

It's just a rehashing of the debate between program music and absolute music in another form, the way I see it - some people think that concept and composition are the "soul" of the music, others just examine the output as it adheres to established forms and patterns (often in the form of music theory). Fantano and I (and you I think) come down on the side of judging the music by its sonic merits and ignoring ideology or "message" which might be facile but I think gets in the way of the wordless enjoyment and unity that good music can create. I hope that makes sense.

This might be why I'm more of an Autechre person than a BoC person. Autechre, I think, don't try to communicate things in their music or draw any earthly analogues at all, be it through track titles or album art or samples, and that makes it much more refreshing for me.

Gamma Nerd fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Aug 11, 2013

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

HorseRenoir posted:

Well if you look at it that way then yeah, vaporwave isn't going to seem that stimulating to you. The thing is, at least to me, most of vaporwave is based on and riffing off of the very safe soulless corporate music that you might of heard in an elevator or waiting room of some office in a tower in a city somewhere. It is going to sound very dead, soulless and very forced/artificial with zero artistic credibility because that is what they are basing their music off of.

And to contribute to the Fantano chat

Gamma Nerd posted:

That is a weak excuse though. If you are going to review something, you need to go beyond saying that I like it because I like jungle. Or doing the most shallow attempts of connecting where it fits in the greater spectrum by namedropping other artists/bands. I might just be an uptight rear end in a top hat when it comes to these things but I kinda expect people to come to the table with more than just the most shallow of observations if they are going to talk about music.

acephalousuniverse
Nov 4, 2012

Gamma Nerd posted:

This might be why I'm more of an Autechre person than a BoC person. Autechre, I think, don't try to communicate things in their music or draw any earthly analogues at all, be it through track titles or album art or samples, and that makes it much more refreshing for me.

I agree with this part, but I also agree that I enjoy Eccojams sonically a lot more than most of this stuff, and return to it more often, and so think about it more often.

I think there's a big difference that people don't acknowledge between a jarring/abrasive concept executed well and a poorly executed concept in general. I think that if, say, Floral Shoppe just sounds boring and weak to you, and doesn't convey the sense of postmodern pleasure-field blah blah blah because it doesn't tranfer the idea well or engage you, then it hasn't done it's job and is a poorly executed example of its concept, in the same way that a satire that's just totally indistinguishable from its target and leaves no clues about being satire to the person experiencing it is a poor example of satire.

I don't actually feel that way about Floral Shoppe; I like it a lot. But I think "concept vs. aesthetics" or whatever is a false dichotomy and the argument is mostly people arguing past each other based on different premises. There's also the fact that the creative world in general is mostly hung up on coming up with novel ideas "first" and then abandoning them, rather than being willing to perfect someone else's poorly executed good idea.

I think that this thread leans a little too heavily on "literary" readings of music as text that makes me sort of uncomfortable; I don't even like that kind of thing in literature too much. It reminds me of the bad old days of neoclassical painting! For the most part that is in the meta-commentary rather than actual analysis of specific pieces though, which have mostly been great.

edit:

Gamma Nerd posted:

It's just a rehashing of the debate between program music and absolute music in another form, the way I see it - some people think that concept and composition are the "soul" of the music, others just examine the output as it adheres to established forms and patterns (often in the form of music theory).

Thinking about your post more, I actually really disagree with this part though. The debate about program music was should the music (or could it) have an outside referent or drama that it's attached to in order to add to its emotional impact or whatever, or should it exist for and in itself as an experience. I think that's necessarily distinct from this debate, maybe in a subtle way, since program music was still expected to be "good" in a reasonable way, even if it played fast and loose with formal patterns in the name of drama. I don't think that's the same as deliberately making something you admit is intentionally sonically BAD in order to evoke some mundane aspect of modern life. (It's also strange that you oppose "composition" and music theory / forms and patterns? Your wording is very loose.)

acephalousuniverse fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Aug 11, 2013

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

acephalousuniverse posted:

Thinking about your post more, I actually really disagree with this part though. The debate about program music was should the music (or could it) have an outside referent or drama that it's attached to in order to add to its emotional impact or whatever, or should it exist for and in itself as an experience. I think that's necessarily distinct from this debate, maybe in a subtle way, since program music was still expected to be "good" in a reasonable way, even if it played fast and loose with formal patterns in the name of drama.

Perhaps it's distinct, but to me it is also a reflection of two different camps of people appreciating music with different rationales, and they're divided along similar lines of what music should be - an object existing for its own merit or a way to deliver concepts that piggyback on it.

I don't think that's the same as deliberately making something you admit is intentionally sonically BAD in order to evoke some mundane aspect of modern life. (It's also strange that you oppose "composition" and music theory / forms and patterns? Your wording is very loose.)
Not meaning to oppose music theory, just saying that it's what you use in scholarly analyses of absolute music - music as object - rather than looking at the music narratively. Really, without making an attempt to go into the murky waters of subjectivity and "emotional impact" and "purpose", the only thing we can do to review it is to analyze it by the standards of music theory - does it follow the rhythm or song structure of genre A or genre B? Do the accompaniments to the main melody detract from it or add to it? Is it mastered cleanly? Are the harmonies and resolutions fresh? Even then we're getting into subjective territory but I think you see what I mean.

Please don't take my opinion on this with too much weight because I lack formal backing in music theory and music history, but: the intention of vaporwave/eccojam/whatever artists isn't to make something sonically "bad", I don't think, because by their standard "bad" means not communicating their artistic manifesto properly. They're again using a different definition of musical quality, but it's one that I'm not subjectively comfortable with.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

I think that this thread leans a little too heavily on "literary" readings of music as text that makes me sort of uncomfortable; I don't even like that kind of thing in literature too much. It reminds me of the bad old days of neoclassical painting! For the most part that is in the meta-commentary rather than actual analysis of specific pieces though, which have mostly been great.

Yeah, I am totally guilty of this. Music criticism that I read, is, for the most part, like Fantano's and I find it tautologous and boring. Dancing about architecture and all that. Music reviews literally cannot convey any sense of musical content, it's an almost pointless exercise, so the critic is left with the task of telling us something about the music that one cannot immediately find by listening to it. Reading Harper's "vaporwave" article was, despite the awful name he chose for the genre, a fantastic piece of criticism that just opened up a conduit of understanding. I don't feel music criticism has an equivalent of Berger's "Ways Of Seeing", it doesn't have its Barthes, something to capture a zeitgeist and explain it on a wider level - where it comes from, where its going, what is it in response to? I just want more of that. But like you observe, without proper consideration, trying to use the tools of literary criticism with little understanding of such is no better than some mundane attempt to describe the timbral qualities of the music without the tools of science or music theory (a futile attempt at any rate). Also I drink a lot of wine and sentences are hard.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

James ferraro has got such a handsome singing voice he should feature yung jake on his next single:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pK5WcDTxQ4E

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Mutation posted:

At the very least, I gotta respect a guy who puts up five reviews a week.

Also here's another NYC, Hell 3:00 AM preview that I think was missed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvKoO6mr4_g

loving hell this sounds amazing.

Definite AOTY incoming for me, everything I've heard from this so far has been amazing

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
uh, :stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mCjRP4CVvI

Why you gotta tease with more eco tracks, James?

edit: This appeared on the same channel with all of the NYC Hell, 3:00 AM previews. What does it mean? Is it another record release? A EP? Some sort of teaser of what else the album may have? A medley of unused material?

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Aug 15, 2013

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Wow that's really good. I would love for (a sort of return?) that to be another direction he's headed.

I've also gone back and listened to the Primavera Sound set and it's really gorgeous.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.
New Oneohtrix album leaked out the other day. I really like it, but I'm still trying to figure out how it fits with his other work. As I said in my overview earlier in the thread, each of his main albums explores different takes on the concept of time. R Plus Seven follows their naming scheme of those albums (they all begin with R) but its not clear how it follows from their themes.

Mutation posted:

uh, :stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mCjRP4CVvI

Why you gotta tease with more eco tracks, James?

edit: This appeared on the same channel with all of the NYC Hell, 3:00 AM previews. What does it mean? Is it another record release? A EP? Some sort of teaser of what else the album may have? A medley of unused material?

At one point he was going to release a record called SAVE THE PLANET (something like that), and the previews for that had the same kinda sound and aesthetic as this track. I thought that project got absorbed into Sushi, but Sushi was slicker and more minimal so maybe SAVE THE PLANET is still forthcoming.

fairlight
May 18, 2007

Sounds like his Primavera Sound set from 2012, and that can only be a good thing. I still put that on every few weeks.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

I'm really hoping James Ferraro goes off in some other completely mental direction, he's been doing the hood darkness aesthetic for like two years now and I demand INNOVATIOn

Anyways, Just gonna dump my R Plus Seven review that I put on RYM

quote:

The continuation of the direction Lopatin kicked off with Replica - lush, "5.1" electronic soundscapes and collages that draw from a range of musical tropes including kosmiche, house, trance, world music and ambient. Whereas Replica was a discrete suite of songs, the individual tracks on R Plus Seven morph and change alarming regularity, so much so that you could really say the track starts and ends are almost arbitrarily chosen, the album being better viewed as two long compositions, bisected at the end of the astonishing "Zebra".

The album is often goofy and mischievous, and Lopatin will shamelessly deploy sickeningly grandiose organ, General MIDI samples and fleeting snippets of AOR and Pop into the spacious, breathy mix. It's done with a measure of restraint, self-awareness and wit that is often lost on listeners who mistake it for irony or disingenuous sarcasm.

Overall, this is a complex, contradictory yet wholly enjoyable and emotional electronic wonderland; there is a request here that you accept its idiosyncratic internal logic, like the paintings of DeChirico or the poetry of Cummings. Let down by a handful of weak tracks in the beginning, this album comes to life about half-way through, as if it were a reversed, modern interpretation of FSOL's classic "Lifeforms". Kind of strange to think that, according to his Twitter feed, he had not heard that album before he made R Plus Seven.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

I just finished listening to the OPN album and it's everything I wanted it to be. That organ at the end was a perfect way to cap off the album. I also liked the first couple tracks of the album, what did you find weak about them?

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

He She and Inside World are just "meh" really. The album doesn't get going until Zebra

sadfly
Jan 27, 2011

Lord Krangdar posted:

At one point he was going to release a record called SAVE THE PLANET (something like that), and the previews for that had the same kinda sound and aesthetic as this track. I thought that project got absorbed into Sushi, but Sushi was slicker and more minimal so maybe SAVE THE PLANET is still forthcoming.

Huh, interesting. Speaking of, I found a "digital flyer" for a record called Rehysteria a while back on the old OESB blog:

Really curious as to whether this one was scrapped/absorbed into something else, tried doing some research but this was the only evidence of it ever being a thing.

Aerobic Robot
Dec 11, 2007

ASK ME HOW I HAVE CRYING MELTDOWNS ABOUT BEING A GAY FURRY. PS, I'M 16 YEARS OLD

sadfly posted:

(rehysteria thing)

Yeah that got scrapped but parts of it can be found in the underwater peoples reissue of on air. some of the track listing on those albums are wrong too so that kinda solidifies it.

on the other side of the spectrum Lorenzo Senni's trance synth drones are kinda interesting. part of me feels like its "lazy" but thats probably the worst kind of criticism
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDxsTefJ9pg

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

I'm surprised that's a Mego joint, seems like a really non-intense version of Mark Fell:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xhvTezdBCo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Un6Mi1pQc7o

sadfly
Jan 27, 2011

new Dean Blunt record just came out of nowhere a couple days ago. on my first listen right now, whoa. it's pretty much a sequel to The Redeemer, but much shorter and possibly more optimistic? dramatic? I can never find the right words to describe this guy... drat. so good.

http://www.tinymixtapes.com/news/dean-blunt-unexpectedly-drops-new-album-stone-island-in-russia-available-to-dl-and-stream-now

(found another "SAVETHEPLANET" track too btw)

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

miy mwoiultlh tbreaptpreude ifno srteavtiecr more
oh drat, i just heard a bunch of those a few days ago on this live set i watched:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSLN1yUzdDc

he does a buncha those new ones there. 14min drone intro too. i dunno why that guy is standing in back the whole time but it's cooooooool

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

Roybot posted:

Also count me in as a "wish I saw this thread earlier" dude. Slowly working through the links but a ton of good poo poo in here.
Me too!
Been a big Hype Williams/Blunt+Copeland for a while, but never really got into Ferraro so I must have been glossing over it.

A little more structured than most stuff in here, but the new Forest Swords is really awesome and deserving of all the critical praise its getting today.

Another longtime favorite of mine, Blanketship had a new album out this year that was as entertaining as his always are.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0B8mK-DeLM

He was also in the Lord Tang project that came out last year and was really cool:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OH2PPoshzCM

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
I guess this is probably the best thread to ask this: Does anybody have an opinion on what the best albums released on the Ghost Box label – or at least the best for a 'beginner'? I've listened to various tracks by Belbury Poly, The Focus Group etc, but their discography seems quite sprawling to the uninitiated, so I don't really know where to start.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.
Oneohtrix fans in here should check out his remix from the deluxe edition of the new NIN album.

sadfly posted:

new Dean Blunt record just came out of nowhere a couple days ago. on my first listen right now, whoa. it's pretty much a sequel to The Redeemer, but much shorter and possibly more optimistic? dramatic? I can never find the right words to describe this guy... drat. so good.

http://www.tinymixtapes.com/news/dean-blunt-unexpectedly-drops-new-album-stone-island-in-russia-available-to-dl-and-stream-now

Ya, its really great. The song with Joanne Robertson is gorgeous.

Word is neither Dean Blunt nor Inga Copeland are going to be working with Hype Williams anymore, although the band is continuing in some form anyway. I had assumed the other supposed members of the group were fictional, but maybe not.

Here is a new solo song from Inga Copeland, now using her own solo youtube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBbxCHy40ec

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

Answers Me posted:

I guess this is probably the best thread to ask this: Does anybody have an opinion on what the best albums released on the Ghost Box label – or at least the best for a 'beginner'? I've listened to various tracks by Belbury Poly, The Focus Group etc, but their discography seems quite sprawling to the uninitiated, so I don't really know where to start.

The Advisory Circle - Mind How You Go
Belbury Poly - The Belbury Tales
Pye Corner Audio - Sleep Games

I don't really know if Ghost Box is along the same lines as the stuff discussed in this thread. A lot of it is very reverential to old library records, public information films, etc. I pop into this thread from time to time and I just can't really grasp what the tone of some of this stuff is-- it seems much more cynical or sarcastic about library music, whereas the Ghost Box crew are very sincere about their approach to it (if a little sinister at times). I think the entire Ghost Box catalog is available on Spotify and rdio and all that, so have at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Lord Krangdar posted:

Oneohtrix fans in here should check out his remix from the deluxe edition of the new NIN album.

Yeah I posted about this in a/d/n, it's a cool track, has a lot of the elements from R+7, including the organ from Chrome Country (best part of R+7)

• Locked thread