Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Odd
Dec 30, 2006

I think everybody just needs to maybe cool out a little maybe
Rookies stay in the default look, heavies get Guile hair, snipers get the beret with sunglasses (sunglasses help you aim, obviously), supports get the ballcap with a radio, assaults get a helmet. Also they're all color coded: White heavies, Blue supports, Red Assaults and Black Snipers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Odd posted:

Rookies stay in the default look, heavies get Guile hair, snipers get the beret with sunglasses (sunglasses help you aim, obviously), supports get the ballcap with a radio, assaults get a helmet. Also they're all color coded: White heavies, Blue supports, Red Assaults and Black Snipers.

That's funny because I picked the same hat for supports, too. Something about the ballcap-headset combo just says "support" to me. :iiam:

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
I gave snipers the headsets. Because radio and squadsight seem right together

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Cannon fodder keep normal colors; everyone who's supposed to stay alive gets their own color scheme.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!
I've spent far too much time trying to craft a suitably sentai/"real-robot" show-esque system for dressing my computer dolls up.

Basic guidelines:
Rookies/Squaddies use color 0 for their armor.
Corporals/Sergeants are color coded based on specialization (Yellow=Heavy, Green=Sniper, Blue=Support, Red=Assault)
Lieutenants get a special color scheme based on their call-sign.
Colonels don't wear helmets or hats.

Early game:
Rookies-Corporals wear the basic beret.
Sergeants get a different hat depending on specialization. (Goggles + headphones=Heavy, Cap + headphones=Sniper, Beret=Support, Beret + sunglasses=Assault)
Rookies-Lieutenants use body armor deco 1.
Captains and beyond wear body armor deco 2. (err...or deco 3? The one that comes with Slingshot)

Carapace armor researched:
Rookies-Lieutenants use body armor deco 2.
Squaddies get different hats.
Sergeants get the Hyperion helmet.
Captains and up wear Hyperion armor.
Alloy armor uses the same rules as early game body armor (save that everyone up to colonels wear the Slingshot helmets appropriate to their armor instead of hats).

Titan armor researched:
Full Hyperion armor is the basic body armor look.
The Slingshot alloy armor deco gets the same bump down to the baseline that the body armor did.
The Elite Soldier Pack deco replaces it.
Low rank dudes wear the basic power armor design with the Slingshot helmets.
High rank dudes wear the heavier looking Slingshot designs.

Overseer ship tackled:
ESP deco is the default alloy armor.
Slingshot deco is the default power armor.

:spergin:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
All this talk about hats is making me realize how useful other people find them. I'm hoping the upcoming DLC will add more hats. A tinfoil wedge cap.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

All this talk about hats is making me realize how useful other people find them. I'm hoping the upcoming DLC will add more hats. A tinfoil wedge cap.

I'm pretty sure most people (including myself) bought Slingshot purely for the hats and I would not be surprised if Firaxis took pointers from Gaben and added the hats after the negative response to Slingshot.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

1stGear posted:

I'm pretty sure most people (including myself) bought Slingshot purely for the hats and I would not be surprised if Firaxis took pointers from Gaben and added the hats after the negative response to Slingshot.

I got slingshot purely for the "hats" (soldier customization options), and I actually haven't tried to Slingshot missions even once. I just wanted more options for my soldiers.

It should be noted however that I got it on super sale so it was less than $2. I don't think many people at all would have gotten it for hats and whatnot if it weren't for deep discounts from Steam Sales.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
My only customization scheme is -

1) Rookies get jack poo poo

2) Everyone else gets Guile's hair and are assigned a Power Ranger's color.

3) It's not my a-team, it's HERO SQUAD

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

"I don't like that mooch...
or her pooch!
"
I switch up my color/armor choices every game, but psychics always get either shaved heads with purple armor or bright purple hair for easy identification.

Playing through Classic/Ironman right now. Made it through month 4 without loosing too many countries. Had something odd happen, though:

I had a wounded Support surrounded by Mutons. I had my heavy fire a rocket, and the reticule was blue, meaning that I would hit the Mutons, but not the Support. I fire, it's still blue and I don't get the "misfire" cue, yet it still blows up my Support also. Is it more likely to take splash damage on Ironman, is it a bug, or did I just flinch as I fired and hit the Support?

Edit: VVVV That makes sense. Related: Is there anyway to displace the floor grid so that I can avoid this in the future? I know I could just be more careful with my rockets, but I like living danger-close. :colbert:

Hellburger99 fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Aug 16, 2013

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
The same has happened to me. Its generally very accurate, but must be a few pixels out. It probably didnt intersect with the NPC model, which is what the blue sphere goes on, but the square they were standing on got selected during the ApplyRocketDamage() function call

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
You know, I took a pretty long break from this game because I had two games in a row ruined by a bug. My first game back? Ruined by the same god drat bug. Pretty deep into a classic ironman game, and a Muton/Berserker group and Cyberdisc group teleport dead center into my squad while I'm already fighting another two groups of Mutons. This was at the beginning of a landed abduction ship mission, near the little loading bay area at the back. I lost two Colonels before recovering, and then just walked through the map to the bridge or whatever since every single normal alien had magically appeared in that one tiny area.

The worst part is that I'm already at the point where I can't really lose the game on the whole, and now this game is going to be about grinding up another squad so I can actually finish and win.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I've been using the same stupid customization/color scheme since this game launched. Rookies and squaddies get the SWAT looking helmet, and then everytime someone levels up after that they get progressively more ridiculous looking. Colonels get pink armor, guile hair, and whatever the silliest version of their particular armor type happens to be.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Is there a DLC one needs to own in order to customize their soldiers?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Anti-Hero posted:

Is there a DLC one needs to own in order to customize their soldiers?

No, you can customize them in the base game, but the two DLC (Slingshot and the pre-order pack) each come with additional options and accessories. The pre-order pack gives you alternative models to several armors, the "Guile" haircut, and the ability to recolor your outfits; Slingshot adds a bunch of hat and helmet models.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Paradoxish posted:

You know, I took a pretty long break from this game because I had two games in a row ruined by a bug. My first game back? Ruined by the same god drat bug. Pretty deep into a classic ironman game, and a Muton/Berserker group and Cyberdisc group teleport dead center into my squad while I'm already fighting another two groups of Mutons. This was at the beginning of a landed abduction ship mission, near the little loading bay area at the back. I lost two Colonels before recovering, and then just walked through the map to the bridge or whatever since every single normal alien had magically appeared in that one tiny area.

Goddamn. I started a classic game the day XCOM came out, and eventually beat it. "That was pretty good, I'll replay this on ironman when the camera issues and teleporting aliens are fixed" I thought to myself and went back to other games.
:negative:

So did they ever fix the camera in huge UFOs? Or how about returning the equipment of troopers that are wounded or in psi training etc. instead of making you click though everyone and take it off piece by piece?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Darkrenown posted:

Goddamn. I started a classic game the day XCOM came out, and eventually beat it. "That was pretty good, I'll replay this on ironman when the camera issues and teleporting aliens are fixed" I thought to myself and went back to other games.

So did they ever fix the camera in huge UFOs? Or how about returning the equipment of troopers that are wounded or in psi training etc. instead of making you click though everyone and take it off piece by piece?

I have my troopers return equipment while wounded, not while in Psi-Training. What was the camera problem in huge UFO's?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Camera troubles? You should try the iOS version with auto level detection for movement and camera placement. :unsmigghh:

Loving the ios version but really miss the customization. Still, its a small price to pay for murdering aliens while I poop.

revtoiletduck
Aug 21, 2006
smart newbie
I wish there was a randomize button for customizing their looks. I want them all to look different, but I don't necessarily feel the need to customize each one to something specific.

Sethmaster
Nov 15, 2012
Is it hard to make different models for the soldiers? :confused:
Skyrim is full of different types of character and visual mods but I am not seeing it for EU. And it suppose to be very popular :v:
Thoughts?

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Sethmaster posted:

Is it hard to make different models for the soldiers? :confused:
Skyrim is full of different types of character and visual mods but I am not seeing it for EU. And it suppose to be very popular :v:
Thoughts?

It's several things though. Having all the soldiers use one model makes them easier to identify as pieces on the field. And Skyrim had a huge variety of face models, but not body ones like you seem to think. If you're just talking about mods, XCOM's engine is not suited for straight up creating new things in it. The best you can hope for it texture changers.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Onmi posted:

I have my troopers return equipment while wounded, not while in Psi-Training. What was the camera problem in huge UFO's?

The camera would freak out when in the top level of the huge UFOs, could get stuck so you couldn't see anything, or sometimes when clicking to go somewhere you'd click through to the level underneath, sending your mans on a crazy death race.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Darkrenown posted:

The camera would freak out when in the top level of the huge UFOs, could get stuck so you couldn't see anything, or sometimes when clicking to go somewhere you'd click through to the level underneath, sending your mans on a crazy death race.

That was more a problem with multi-level maps then UFOs in particular, it was just that large UFOs were the most commonly seen map of this type. On the abduction map with the large meat locker at the back, that meat locker building is a nightmare to enter because it has multiple levels. So I just blow it up :black101:

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Onmi posted:

I have my troopers return equipment while wounded

I think he means troopers getting their equipment back? Always bugged me that if somebody's wounded for 2 days, you still have to re-equip their armor again at the next mission

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Muscle Tracer posted:

I think he means troopers getting their equipment back? Always bugged me that if somebody's wounded for 2 days, you still have to re-equip their armor again at the next mission

No, mine get them back... at least I think they do. So long as no one's been using it in the mean time.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Pink Assault best Assault. Murder Sectopods in style.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Well I learned something new... turns out that kitchens are not safe places for explosives.

On the map with the fast food place in the middle, I sent a rookie into the kitchen by the grill. This revealed two groups of two sectoids and each group ran behind a nearby car. The rookie tossed a grenade underneath the furthest car, which blew it up and killed the two sectoids, earning her a promotion. The exploding car set off the other car, which immediately blew up and killed the two other sectoids. That explosion, which was well out of the range of the rookie, blew a chunk out of the kitchen wall and caused the grill to violently explode... instantly killing the rookie that just threw the grenade.

One mission. Two turns. Four kills... she had a bright future ahead of her :smith:

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Pomp posted:

My only customization scheme is -

1) Rookies get jack poo poo

2) Everyone else gets Guile's hair and are assigned a Power Ranger's color.

3) It's not my a-team, it's HERO SQUAD

I used to give my assaults Guile Hair once they'd graduated, but you're right. From now on, everyone ever gets Guile Hair.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

That's funny because I picked the same hat for supports, too. Something about the ballcap-headset combo just says "support" to me. :iiam:

It's the Scout.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Doctor Reynolds posted:

It's the Scout.

XCOM: Enemy Fortress, a crossover DLC where the TF2 team raid a UFO.

"These aliens are so tiny to me. Is funny!"

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Darkrenown posted:

Have there even been any patches since like, the DLC hit? I've only vaguely been paying attention to the update stream on Steam but I can't remember any.

That teleportation bug is the worst :argh:

(One that could be fixed by just having them walk the normal way between patrol-points)

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
So I'm about to finally get around to playing this - what difficulty do I start on? I never played old XCOM (and am trying to not learn anything before jumping in), don't completely suck at games, and love Dark Souls. Turn on autosave and do normal ironman is my knee-jerk reaction to what looks cool.

dereku
Oct 23, 2010

Open up your senses
Ironman can get ruined pretty easily due to bugs. Star in classic mode and don't savescum. Don't do the tutorial mission

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master
Any ideas for gimmick runs to make Classic Ironman more challenging/interesting? I'm not enough of a masachist to really enjoy Impossible Ironman and vanilla Classic Ironman is far too easy once you know how to deal with pretty much anything safely.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Try out the Long War mod?

MechPlasma
Jan 30, 2013

Taratang posted:

Any ideas for gimmick runs to make Classic Ironman more challenging/interesting? I'm not enough of a masachist to really enjoy Impossible Ironman and vanilla Classic Ironman is far too easy once you know how to deal with pretty much anything safely.
Don't use two soldiers of the same rank in one mission (not counting Rookies).

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

Taratang posted:

No squadsight, no explosives, no armour, no shooting more than once per round. There's any number of ways to artificially handicap yourself.

revtoiletduck
Aug 21, 2006
smart newbie

Taratang posted:

All supports

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

Taratang posted:

Army of Two.

(Only send squads of two).

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

revtoiletduck posted:

All supports

This is very fun, and surprisingly viable. Early supports are especially good with grenades, because sprinter lets them get in position to throw them, and having lots of smoke to throw around allows you to basically ignore cover in many cases and trade shots with aliens while remaining unflankable.

Late game having lots of Sentinel Colonels means that activating large numbers of enemies triggers a very large reaction fire response.

My challenge of choice is no squadsight, and sometimes no snipers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

TalonDemonKing posted:

Army of Two.

(Only send squads of two).

This sounds really fun.

• Locked thread