Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

carrion kit posted:

After getting the bike back from the shop the rear brake works just fine but it's definitely having engine issues. I took it out last night and this morning and ran into the same problem. Ran perfectly fine off it being cold but once it warmed up, like 15-20 minutes in, the response turned to dogshit. Bike is running at 180° right it the middle of the temp range but there was almost no power getting to the wheel. Twisting the throttle basically just shot the RPMs up but barely put any power down. I had to walk the throttle up slowly from a dead stop so that I wasn't running it at like 10k RPM while it slowly caught up. Even at speed, 40-50mph, hitting the gas served to just spin up RPM but barely put power down. Again, the bike ran fine while cold. I suspect it was overheating on my first ride because I was giving it the mustard and over revving it. I stated earlier that it has an aftermarket Termignoni exhaust. Is this more likely an ECU / tuning issue or something else?

If its revving up but not sending power to the wheel its more likely that your clutch is toast or way out of adjustment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Nerobro posted:

Have you checked the stator? If you have, tell us what the readings were. Keep in mind, that a shot stator, can kill a r/r. A shot r/r, can kill a stator... It's a unhappy situation.

My preference of r/r is something off of a EFI GSXR. They're 40+ amp r/r's and can't be killed by a stator failure. I've used a CX500 r/r too.

I got 80+ Vac on all the stator leads in a no load test which is up to spec as per the Clymer manual. The R/R was reading 13.5 Vdc with high beams on @ 5k rpm on a freshly charged battery which is just barely in the acceptable range according to the manual. I'm reading the rpm from the instrument cluster and mine is kind of lovely, but it wasn't going up much higher than that.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

ScienceAndMusic posted:

This makes a lot of sense. I just worry that my slip area is too small, but I think I just need to get used to it. Would it be a bad idea to give the clutch more dead zone so that the friction zone is closer to where my grip is strongest? IE. I feel like I have most of my control in my hand when my fingers are somewhat curled, and where my friction zone is my clutch is so far out that my fingers are almost fully extended. So would it be stupid of me to add more "dead zone" (I don't know how to explain it but where the clutch isn't really pulling any wire, just it wiggels back and forth freely) so that the friction zone is closer to ~50%?

Buy aftermarket levers that are adjustable for distance from the bar. Biggest reason to spend on aftermarket levers is for that comfort from that additional adjustability. Or some bikes (mostly kawasakis) come with adjustable levers stock.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Christ, doesn't the shop test ride it after working on it (the guy with the Ducati?)

I wouldn't take it home again w/out a test ride right then and there to make sure everything works. Right now, your clutch cable probably needs adjusting.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

thylacine posted:

Christ, doesn't the shop test ride it after working on it (the guy with the Ducati?)

I wouldn't take it home again w/out a test ride right then and there to make sure everything works. Right now, your clutch cable probably needs adjusting.

nope, it'll be a hydraulic clutch. And it sounds exactly like it's slipping. They might take it for a ride, but if it's just a spin around the block, and not revving it out in high gear, they might not have caught it.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Linedance posted:

nope, it'll be a hydraulic clutch. And it sounds exactly like it's slipping. They might take it for a ride, but if it's just a spin around the block, and not revving it out in high gear, they might not have caught it.

Could also be the slave cylinder. They tend to start to fail when hot, my housemate's multi 620 had the same problem. You won't pick up on it on a test ride cause it works fine until it gets hot. If it's the OEM one, it needs to be replaced at this point pretty much regardless with a quality aftermarket item, rather than the poo poo OEM part.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
IIRC the 748/916 clutch needs periodically blowing out to stop it slipping (dry clutch, old clutch powder builds up between the plates) - it might be that simple.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
What's the CA approved method of helping out an ignition switch that barely likes to turn. I have the following: Dry Lube (used for cable lubrication), WD-40, and White Lithium Grease.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

XYLOPAGUS posted:

What's the CA approved method of helping out an ignition switch that barely likes to turn. I have the following: Dry Lube (used for cable lubrication), WD-40, and White Lithium Grease.

Graphite powder, I keep a tube in my tank bag and apply it every other month or so as soon as it starts sticking.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
Interesting. That's what all the other forums said. For some reason, my seasoned motorcyclist friend said "definitely don't use graphite."

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Graphite is the only thing you want to use, unless it's an ignition barrel from the 50's that has live contacts on the inside instead of the back. Never, EVER use a liquid lubricant inside of a lock.

Also WD-40 isn't a lubricant so stop thinking of it as such.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Geirskogul posted:

Never, EVER use a liquid lubricant inside of a lock.
Why is this? Special metals in there?

Terminus Est
Sep 30, 2005

Motorcycle Miliitia

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Why is this? Special metals in there?

Probably because they can dry tacky or attract dirt and grime. Graphite is cheap, works great, and is useful around the house as well.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

So I have a question. I have a small oil leak that I am 99% sure is coming from my valve cover gasket, so I want to make sure it's all torqued down. And it's a royal pain in the rear end to get at.

Yes, that is a rubber blanket covering the entire top end of the engine and yes, that's actually after taking about half the poo poo off.

Anyhow, even when I get more of the poo poo off and pull the mat back, I can already tell it's going to be too tight to get in there with my torque wrench and 5mm hex socket. Really, there is not much room other than a hex key.

That's frame immediately to the left of the bolt head, about 3 finger widths away.

Ideas on how/what to use to get in there? I want to be pretty accurate ensuring everything is torqued down.

Edit: That's not frame, that's actually a motor mount. I'd really prefer not to take that off but I guess I can if I need to.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Aug 16, 2013

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

What bike is that so I can never buy it?

Terminus Est
Sep 30, 2005

Motorcycle Miliitia

slidebite posted:

Ideas on how/what to use to get in there? I want to be pretty accurate ensuring everything is torqued down.

Edit: That's not frame, that's actually a motor mount. I'd really prefer not to take that off but I guess I can if I need to.

Does the ratcheting portion of the head on your torque wrench slide out? If so, get a 5mm insert key then cut down a hex key then go to town. Otherwise, drop the engine or liberal use of universal adapters.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I've never needed to use a torque wrench on a rocker cover, this is baffling.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

MotoMind posted:

What bike is that so I can never buy it?

C14 and ZX14 issue. And yeah, it's a loving tight disaster to get at the top of the motor. That blanket over the entire top of the motor made me :psypop: when I first saw it a few months back.

Did some more research and it is a super common problem on the 06+ ZX14 and 08+ C14. Turns out they have 2 major leak areas, an improperly sized cam sensor O-Ring right from the factory (which I already fixed) and a poorly designed head cover gasket. I wanted to ensure it was torqued down properly to make sure that wasn't the cause but but the folks in the other forums assured me that's almost certainly not it. The cover bolts have a shoulder which only go in a certain amount and they really don't back off in anyones experience.

Fix is to replace the gasket (huge pain in the rear end which I will need to do in a couple years when I check do the valve clearances anyhow) or do a ghetto fix. I'm going to do the ghetto fix first which is essentially making the front of the motor squeaky clean with brake clean, letting it dry, and use Right Stuff silicone along the gasket joint of the head/rocker cover. Hell, I've got nothing to lose so I'm going to try it. Normally I'd never do it, but what the hell. I'll give it my best shot.

I am NOT looking forward to doing my valves in 2015-16 time frame. Maybe by that time I'll buy a different bike :getin:

Terminus Est posted:

Does the ratcheting portion of the head on your torque wrench slide out? If so, get a 5mm insert key then cut down a hex key then go to town. Otherwise, drop the engine or liberal use of universal adapters.
Nope, but I think when I do the valves part of the procedure is to take that mount out anyhow so I am hoping when I do that I might have enough room. Worst case, I'll buy a spare 5mm head and hack it right down to a nub so I have room to get it in there. Alternatively, I maybe pick up a 1/4" drive torque wrench.

Slavvy posted:

I've never needed to use a torque wrench on a rocker cover, this is baffling.
I properly torque down motor/frame/chassis fasteners, especially into aluminum. Body and other stuff I don't really worry about but those I do.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Just grind down an allen and hit it that way.

wane tendo
Mar 19, 2005

Buglord

thylacine posted:

After I called them to say it's probably having a clutch issue the guy who worked on it goes "I wheelied that thing down the street, seemed fine to me."

:negative:

I'm going to see if I can open the clutch up and blast it with compressed air as some earlier poster said it may just be dust, if not it's going back to the dealership tomorrow.

edit: holy poo poo that's a lot of dust ! going to need to go buy some canned air for this.

wane tendo fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Aug 16, 2013

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

carrion kit posted:

After I called them to say it's probably having a clutch issue the guy who worked on it goes "I wheelied that thing down the street, seemed fine to me."

:negative:

I'm going to see if I can open the clutch up and blast it with compressed air as some earlier poster said it may just be dust, if not it's going back to the dealership tomorrow.

edit: holy poo poo that's a lot of dust ! going to need to go buy some canned air for this.

If that doesn't do the trick, ride it until it's fully warmed up and slipping then get your rear end over to the shop, go inside and tell the mechanic to get on it right then and there and see for himself. If he gives you poo poo about being busy, tell him to just go up and down the street for two minutes, he'll have time for that (otherwise just kick him in the nuts, the natural end point of any conversation not going ones way).

Alternatively, just ride past them all day long, waiving with your left hand while the bike slips the clutch.

wane tendo
Mar 19, 2005

Buglord
Well I went through one bottle of canned air and I still wasn't satisfied I got all the dust out so I took the fairing off and rode it 100ft to the Mobile station and used the car tire electric pump to blow the poo poo out of it. Three dollars later and I'm pretty confident I got the majority of it. It seems a lot louder now / rattling but I haven't put the clutch cover back on yet. Also why the gently caress is canned air like 10$? That's some bullshit. Going to put it back together and ride it after work to see how it pulls now.

wane tendo fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Aug 16, 2013

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
You gotta go to the right place, it's crazy overpriced. You could just go to and buy a cheap air compressor, they're useful to have anyways.

Edit: a rattling clutch is a Ducati feature.

unbuttonedclone fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Aug 16, 2013

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

thylacine posted:

You gotta go to the right place, it's crazy overpriced. You could just go to and buy a cheap air compressor, they're useful to have anyways.

A good compressor is one of the most important things to have in your shop. Get one with a decent sized tank (e.g. 20 -gallon), or you'll go deaf when it kicks on all the time. Armed with a good air supply, you have a platform for filling tires, blowing out dust from carbs, crevices, etc., running a soda blaster, powering various sheet metal tools, and painting poo poo.

Seriously, get a compressor. It changes your life.

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

CANNOT STOP SHITPOSTING FOR FIVE MINUTES
So I'm curious, what do people here pay for monthly insurance? I'm trying to get my bike insured and I always heard how cheap it was but my company wants to charge me more than my car and won't remove multi rider coverage even though I am a single rider only.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Monthly? Probably like $30 - two big bikes, two riders. But we pay it once a year. This is something that varies a lot though based on location and situation - we park in a garage, own a home, are married, etc. and that stuff stacks in favor of low premium.

Shop for insurance. Your auto insurance carrier might not always be the best option for motorcycle coverage.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

I'm paying $75.19 a month with Progressive for liability, comprehensive, and roadside. Liability alone was $25 I believe. I'm 22, a new rider, on my first bike, a brand new bike I bought a month ago from the dealership, in Phoenix, AZ. 2013 Honda CBR500R.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

My breakdown with a 2006 Ninja 650R, 26 year old single male, clean record through State Farm:

Liability (Bodily/Property), 250k each person, 500k each incident, 100k property - $97/yr
Comprehensive, $50 deductible - $45/yr
Underinsured Motor Vehicle, Bodily Injury 250k each person/500k each incident - $190/yr
Underinsured Motor Vehicle, Property Damage, 100k - $25/yr

Total: ~$350/yr

Guinness fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Aug 16, 2013

mainks
Jun 13, 2013

I have the worst coverage legally allowed and pay $219 through an agent, which would probably be under $200 if I were to go online.

2001 SV650

M42
Nov 12, 2012

$35 a month on geico: 100/300 bodily injury, 5k property damage, and comprehensive. 23, clean record, 04 ninja 250. Adding under/uninsured motorist would have more than doubled it iirc.

Farmers wanted like $400 a month :shepface:

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

$79/year thru Geico, with a "speeding >30mph over limit" ticket. Progressive (whom I had before I moved) was $73/yr, but they wanted $88/month here. They WILL cover in this state, they just don't want to.

State Farm, Allstate, USAA, Farmer's, and Farm Bureau were all in the range from $81 to $180/yr, so definitely shop around and don't feel bad about telling your current company to go pound sand if you can find insurance for 1/15th the price elsewhere. Loyalty be damned.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

drat, I feel like I should try finding some better insurance rates. This is my first vehicle ever, so first insurance. Does the rate go lower after you've been riding and insured for some time?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

thylacine posted:

Edit: a rattling clutch is a Ducati feature.

It's more worrying if it *isn't* rattling...

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

CANNOT STOP SHITPOSTING FOR FIVE MINUTES
So I am trying to figure out what I need to do to get the bike in my name. I live in CA and its so drat complicated at the dmv. Its made even worse that the guy I bought it from has seemingly disappeared... but my insurance says I need to have it registered before they can insure me...

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

ScienceAndMusic posted:

So I am trying to figure out what I need to do to get the bike in my name. I live in CA and its so drat complicated at the dmv. Its made even worse that the guy I bought it from has seemingly disappeared... but my insurance says I need to have it registered before they can insure me...

You got a title with the bike...right? Should be pretty straight forward...go to DMV with title, bill of sale if needed by CA, CA drivers license and get it transferred over. If you didn't get a title then good luck.

e: do bikes in CA have to be emissions tested? That adds a step somewhere

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

ScienceAndMusic posted:

Your insurance should write a policy on the bike even if you don't own it. Go to DMV, register bike. It's not too hard. Better yet, go to AAA. No emissions testing, unless it's coming from out of state. If that's the case, they'll want it to be over 7500 miles or to see the 50 state emissions sticker.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

$280/yr for compulsory third party insurance, $150/yr for registration, $700/yr for comprehensive insurance (or $300 if I did liability only) on a vehicle valued at $4200AU. My car only costs a few hundred more a year to insure and is valued at 5 times the price.

ephphatha fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Aug 17, 2013

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
What is compulsory third party insurance and how is it different than liability?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I think I'm around $180 a year on my C14, but that's in :canada: and I am old and married.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wane tendo
Mar 19, 2005

Buglord
After doing a little reading I'm wondering if I should take the springs out, then the clutch plate and pull all the friction plates and clean them individually. Is this worth doing or is it possible to blow the majority of the dust out with the clutch plate on?