Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

triplexpac posted:

What if they modified PVP somehow, to buff characters people aren't using and debuff the super common ones?

Like, everyone is using Rescue & Omege. Make that combo 95% less effective, and then buff Mr Fantastic & Colossus to be 95% more effective... until everyone swaps of to them, then the cycle continues.

It might encourage people to at least try new combos.

That will discourage people from spending money on new characters so nope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Opopanax posted:

That will discourage people from spending money on new characters so nope

Ahhh I knew there was a flaw in my plan

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

My secret weapon this season is going to be the Custom Only For Killing I spent most of the "offseason" grinding. With all the spendtards rolling 35k+ hit points, Mental Anguish does over 16k.

Also X-Force Angel's level 9 is my new favorite anything ever. gently caress off Phoenix.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I might enjoy PVP more if I wasn't fighting the same five characters over and loving over.

ServoMST3K
Nov 30, 2009

You look like a Cracker Jack box with a bad prize inside
I have 135 cp finally, should I get Shatterstar for the next SO or get some more characters I need for Season 2 stuff (Gambit, Rogue, etc)?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

ServoMST3K posted:

I have 135 cp finally, should I get Shatterstar for the next SO or get some more characters I need for Season 2 stuff (Gambit, Rogue, etc)?

Shatterstar is also needed for the Season 2 stuff.

That being said, don't automatically assume SS will be needed for the next SO. They made him a character you need to deploy in Season 2 to get Ironfist's outfit. That might be his use, and they may jump to Red Hulk as the next SO character for the next spec ops.

My advice might be to wait and grind some more CP, since it sounds like you still have plenty of guys to buy.

ServoMST3K
Nov 30, 2009

You look like a Cracker Jack box with a bad prize inside
Good call, I think I might wait for now. I currently have: IM, BW, Hawk, p5 Cyclops, Colossus, She Hulk, Iron Fist, Ms. Marvel, Storm, Fantomex, Wanda, Union Jack, Hellstrom, Satanna, and Constrictor. For characters I just want anyway I still need Hercules and War Machine, but they're not too critical for mission stuff right now.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
And Iron Fist and Rescue are a thing now.

"Oh thats cute, you damaged my team, here's them all back up to full health".

I'm not even bothering to fight any team that includes rescue, omega or IF currently, because they are unbeatable, at least with the resources I have available to me. And I have every single character, but I lack any of the good agent gear.

And I'm discovering Stun doesn't really mean anything if I put it on the opposing team. I've stunned lots of opponents, but they act normally do. And I love it when I attack Omega and she changes her class as a defensive action.

I've seen her go from a Scrapper when i target her, to a bruiser when I actually hit her with a scrapper (i was using magik for a while) so many times. She is just made of cheat.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Aug 16, 2013

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

I just put Luke Cage and Sif in my defending slot. If we'd all agree to put craplog characters in those slots, then PvP would be a much less annoying experience.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
I just love being hit by Rescue for 60k, don't you?

Rescue just defeated my entire team on her own.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Aug 16, 2013

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

sakeyake posted:

Spendtards are extremely lazy on offense and expect defenses alone to rank them up, so a lot of them hover around the middle ranks (1100-1300) until the last week. Sometimes it's better to get ahead of them early and never look back. Your mileage may vary, but that's been my experience at 300 where full armories of 2g items are considered average and the big spenders fill up with 64g items.

Wow. I'm still "only" at 125, so things still seem reasonable enough most of the time. I went and bought the last inventory slot to make things less aggravating.

I don't care that much about annoying teams (maybe because I'm using one :v:) or overpowerred agent items, so much as the fact that 90% of the time, PvP battles seem to boil down to who has the biggest inventory bonus. Their numbers were bigger than your numbers, now watch them one-shot your characters one by one. Strategy!

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

BTW has anybody actually seen Ironfist use his Combo-breaker ability.

Is it a 1% chance or something, since I have never seen him use it in all the PvP matches I've used him.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Fred is on posted:

Wow. I'm still "only" at 125, so things still seem reasonable enough most of the time. I went and bought the last inventory slot to make things less aggravating.

I don't care that much about annoying teams (maybe because I'm using one :v:) or overpowerred agent items, so much as the fact that 90% of the time, PvP battles seem to boil down to who has the biggest inventory bonus. Their numbers were bigger than your numbers, now watch them one-shot your characters one by one. Strategy!

And then if you complain they say you need better tactics (ie spend the money they have).

I have fought 2 guys today that have 58 utility belts in their armory. But the worst was the guy who had 40 of the Zola gun (not the one you can get from him, but the one he actually uses). That is a lot of gold spent.

Apparently Modern Hawkeye is awesome. He shot 6 arrows at Magneto, and pulled out Adamantium Arrow (which causes fatal blow) right as Erik reached 30% health.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I've tried to fight the same incursion 4 times today, and every time as it ends I get a "Combat Validation Error". I've switched up my team fighting it, I've turned off leethax, I have no idea what else to try. Its annoying as hell because the incursion isnt fun to begin with, about half the time I'm dead in 2 turns as my teammates get stunned then murdered, and when i manage to get a win through lucky turn order it doesnt remember it because of the validation error. Still costs me the 10 energy of course.

Whargoul
Dec 4, 2010

No, Babou, that was all sarcasm.
YES, ALL OF IT, YOU FOX-EARED ASSHOLE!
I'm getting slaughtered on defense in PVP, but I haven't lost an offensive match yet.

Any suggestions for good defensive characters? I have Rescue but I only have her at 7 because she is boring, and I missed Omega Sentinel because I wasn't playing at the time. I'm currently using WCP blaster, Shadowcat Kitty inf, and a scrapper agent. I'm level 135 at the moment.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Do you have the Ironman Mark 42 or Iron Patriot armour, both are good on defence. As is Emma Frost.

Also from reading the Playdom forum and all the comments there it seems that IF's combobreaker isn't working yet. Neither is his abillity to use his level 9 to break stun. (It just causes him to grey out all other options.)

So while his damage speak and super heal is nice, I can't use him until they fix that. So back to using Union Jack for me.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 17 days!
The "soon to be nerfed" thing this season is apparently the shell shock gun and power of 4. I haven't run up against it on offense, but I do run it myself with bologna scroll and signpost. Pretty ridiculous.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Grem posted:

The "soon to be nerfed" thing this season is apparently the shell shock gun and power of 4. I haven't run up against it on offense, but I do run it myself with bologna scroll and signpost. Pretty ridiculous.

Hmm, I never considered that possibility. Run a team like WCP and or the Barrow Spire, a team which is designed to keep your agent alive to reach turn 2. Then Power of 4 and put 4 stacks of the shellshock gun on the enemy. Watch them all die the second they try something.

Let's see how that works.

Edit: The answer is, it's fun.

Okay it kills your agent. But watching your opponent's team do like 15K damage to themselves anytime they try and do anything is fairly lol worthy. I best enjoy this before they nerf it.

The Question IRL fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Aug 16, 2013

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Shell shocked can't be removed by anything so that's probably fair to fix that. I don't see how else to nerf it unless you add a cooldown which is also fair. Right now it pretty much is broken. But I'll use it until they change it!

Uh oh at combobreaker not working yet. I put my defense team together counting on that.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Shell shocked isn't the problem, taking extra turns is the problem. In fact, shell shocked was meant to address this very problem (Omega, Rescue, QS).

If they nerf the machine gun and not power of 4 then they are loving idiots, which we actually already knew.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

Syrinxx posted:

Shell shocked isn't the problem, taking extra turns is the problem. In fact, shell shocked was meant to address this very problem (Omega, Rescue, QS).

If they nerf the machine gun and not power of 4 then they are loving idiots, which we actually already knew.

What more can they do to power of 4? Add more turns onto the initial cooldown?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Sefer posted:

Make death from it unpreventable. I've seen WCP keep someone alive.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 17 days!
I think now Po4 kills you no matter what, but 4 stacks of shell shocked is almost impossible to overcome, especially with the load out I mentioned, they'll have one already with the first round. Shell shocked actually triggers right after any attack, so if Phoenix does Phoenix Fire, four stacks usually kills her after the attack hits, but before Death and Rebirth gets put on.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

Make death from it unpreventable. I've seen WCP keep someone alive.

It's been a long time since I've seen that work; both WCP's resurrection and hoarfrost were changed to stop preventing Po4 deaths like a patch or two after they were created.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Sefer posted:

The item is just fundamentally broken. It's asking to be abused and really should be smashed with the nerf bat a la Quantum Jumper.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Instead of getting an error at the end of an incursion, now when I try to start one its getting an error. On the positive side the error reads "Reality destabilised, try again later".

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I had 23 defenses while I was away for less than a day. :aaa:

I made 37 points though so yay I guess.

DoctorDelaware
Mar 24, 2013
Looks like incursions are down for a bit, according to the above-game screen message on FB.

"Incursions have been disabled for the time being because they are bullshit to optimize gameplay."

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
I gotta try winning at least one PvP fight this time around in case they glitch and give out Bishop.

Mister Chompers
Sep 11, 2011

JohnnyCanuck posted:

I gotta try winning at least one PvP fight this time around in case they glitch and give out Bishop.

You had to have 50 or 60 or whatever the requirement was to get Angel though, just fyi.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
I just realized the task to get more lockboxes I currently have is only fight 30 battles, not win them. That's good.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
If anything needs a glitch like angel, it's the iOS version. Apparently folks are abusing a glitch making it so the game crashes whenever you try to attack them.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Codependent Poster posted:

I had 23 defenses while I was away for less than a day. :aaa:

I made 37 points though so yay I guess.

I just got 29, and it turns out I had left Wolverine and Scarlett Witch on defense.

New Wave Jose
Aug 20, 2008
Is it just me or we start with a really low rating this season? I have a rating of about 200 and I one shot everyone, only to gain like 20 rating. Maybe people around my lvl (171) suck?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Wolverine and Scarlet Witch are both characters that the AI can do well with using. In part it just increases Scarlet Witch's 20% evasion to like 80% and puts all the debuffs in the world on your team.

In other news the Power of 4 + Lewis team is working really well. Putting the Barrowguard on my hero also means that sometimes she doesn't die, even when the computer keeps hitting him with the 92 million damage "crash" debuff. Now usually that just means she dies in the next persons action after he's finished his Power of 4 turn of nuking. However I've had a few matches where she survived long enough to tank an attack. (which is fine since she would have died anyway, and with the lewis it often takes an enemy hero with her.) But I had at least one where, for whatever reason, she survived long enough to get to act/ attack again and helped win the match.

The main use of this team is it means I can get the 5 wins I need with the least amount of frustration.

Speaking of frustration, I ran into one team that was the worst EVER to play against. (So naturally, I've decided to run it as my defence team.)
Agent with Blade of Guardians + Rescue + Angel. Team cleric here means they are always protecting, ALWAY'S healing (often with bonuses due to Angel's level 6) and nobody dies. Oh and Angel will buff the agent up so he gets Blessing of Heroes. I've decided to run with that team (along with the Hoarfrost Mace and Barrowguard for added dickery.)

I don't expect it's a team that will win on Defence. But it will take so long that people will just start quitting instead of fighting that team.
In other news I am now officially scum.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

I just realized the task to get more lockboxes I currently have is only fight 30 battles, not win them. That's good.

I just started a bunch of practice matches and immediately refreshed the page to get those. 3 covers, 3 dupes, and only 115 guaranteed lockboxes (from 5 fights/day) left; if I don't start getting luckier on the PVP spin I may not make this one.

I've gotten 11 gold and 41 CP off the daily spin since the end of SpecOps, though.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I had a match that went down to my Iron Fist vs. Rescue. I played it for 10 minutes before realizing that it would go on forever and restarted.

Whargoul
Dec 4, 2010

No, Babou, that was all sarcasm.
YES, ALL OF IT, YOU FOX-EARED ASSHOLE!

Codependent Poster posted:

I had a match that went down to my Iron Fist vs. Rescue. I played it for 10 minutes before realizing that it would go on forever and restarted.

I had to do that with a match of my X-23 and their Rescue. What sucked the most was it happened during the final 30 minutes of PVP for Red Hulk.

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide
I hate hate hate that the maximum amount of lockboxes you can get for winning PvP is 5 a day, there's literally no incentive to do any more than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

I hate hate hate that the maximum amount of lockboxes you can get for winning PvP is 5 a day, there's literally no incentive to do any more than that.

Yeah, the fact that you can (slowly, but still) farm them in Spec Ops at least makes the experience less miserable. For PvP lockboxes, all you can do is get your daily five and cross your fingers.

• Locked thread