Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Snark posted:

It was weird that Rifftrax felt the need to do that, especially since the Kickstarter kid they introduced in the beginning was front and center enjoying that co-ed shower on the big screen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wwilCs4Jqg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tagelthebagel
Oct 23, 2008
Awesome Riff! Pensacola Florida was about 75% full. Best turn out so far that they put us up in the larger theater so that was awesome.

"The ball is silver because it's the FUTURE!"
Also I was in tears at the Gorilla-gram because I knew SOMETHING like that was going to happen during that scene and it was just perfect.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Good riff, though that was one hell of tedious movie. I'm not sure why so many people were heralding it as some paragon of satire, because those elements were self-contained and incongruous with everything else.

...And I'm guessing Mike Nelson was behind the dated and eyeroll-worthy ACORN joke that popped up in one of the 10,000 bug shooting scenes.

bobservo fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Aug 16, 2013

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

bobservo posted:

because those elements were self-contained and incongruous with everything surrounding it.

...I'm pretty sure that incongruity is part of the satire...

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

thexerox123 posted:

...I'm pretty sure that incongruity is part of the satire...

Not to be a dick, but I don't buy it. Robocop had the same outlandish ads, but that movie's intent was clear and thorough. I really feel like Verhoven backed away from whatever his original plan might have been, and the remnants can be seen in the five minutes of comic relief peppered throughout. The movie should be mocking and killing its statuesque characters if Starship is supposed to be a slam against indoctrination. It's really telling when the coward is killed for actually realizing that their ground-based war is a terrible idea.

It could also be a case of serious miscasting and the actors not realizing the film's intent.

bobservo fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Aug 16, 2013

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

Robert Denby posted:

I'm disappointed they didn't make any mention that the actor there was Carver on "The Wire".

I could've sworn there was a line about "hey doesn't he have a brother on The Wire?". There was something about The Wire that got laughs but I haven't watched it so I don't know.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Zeether posted:

Some of the video game riffs seemed haphazardly thrown in, specifically the Mario Kart one when someone asks Rico what he's doing later. Although I did get a hoot out of the Wing Commander riff, which reminds me why they haven't mocked the movie of that because it's pretty much asking for it.

Casper Van Dien was a redshirt in one of the FMV Wing Commander games.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

bobservo posted:

It could also be a case of serious miscasting and the actors not realizing the film's intent.
That's how I felt about Denise Richards' role; in most of her scenes she's just this smiling happy girl who's running around all cutesy and happy and not acting like a soldier in wartime at all until her ship gets blown up. Hell, at the end of the movie, she walks off with the hardened grunt and the Nazi-styled military intelligence officer like she's walking out of a high school class with her BFFs.

It didn't hit me until today that neither Johnny Rico or Carmen Whatsherface get promoted due to their abilities or skill; Johnny gets instant promotions because the people one step above him keep getting killed.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

bobservo posted:

...And I'm guessing Mike Nelson was behind the dated and eyeroll-worthy ACORN joke that popped up in one of the 10,000 bug shooting scenes.

That joke dates back to 1960

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Evil Mastermind posted:

That's how I felt about Denise Richards' role; in most of her scenes she's just this smiling happy girl who's running around all cutesy and happy and not acting like a soldier in wartime at all until her ship gets blown up. Hell, at the end of the movie, she walks off with the hardened grunt and the Nazi-styled military intelligence officer like she's walking out of a high school class with her BFFs.

It didn't hit me until today that neither Johnny Rico or Carmen Whatsherface get promoted due to their abilities or skill; Johnny gets instant promotions because the people one step above him keep getting killed.

Yeah, Richards reminds me of the female lead in Birdemic in that her only active emotion is "vacant smiling." That why I thought all of the "dumb girl" riffs were a little lazy, while the "creepy acting robot" ones were spot-on.

Also, I thought killing Rico during the movie was a slightly edgy touch, and could have made the following events way more meaningful... until they reveal that their magic goo tanks can basically heal any wound. Stakes? Who needs 'em?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Evil Mastermind posted:

And when he does get promoted due to skill he immediately gets a guy under him killed.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

bobservo posted:

Also, I thought killing Rico during the movie was a slightly edgy touch, and could have made the following events way more meaningful... until they reveal that their magic goo tanks can basically heal any wound. Stakes? Who needs 'em?

Excuse me but they have silver footballs, of course medicine has advanced.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Evil Mastermind posted:

That's how I felt about Denise Richards' role; in most of her scenes she's just this smiling happy girl who's running around all cutesy and happy and not acting like a soldier in wartime at all until her ship gets blown up.

That's kinda the point. M.I does the dying, Fleet just does the flying.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

techknight posted:

Excuse me but they have silver footballs, of course medicine has advanced.

They also developed interstellar space travel but neglected to give their ships "shields" or "maneuverability" -- unless Denise Richards is piloting one, I guess.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

bobservo posted:

They also developed interstellar space travel but neglected to give their ships "shields" or "maneuverability" -- unless Denise Richards is piloting one, I guess.

Oh yeah, I love when the battleship gets that tower ripped off by the meteor and nobody seems to really care. I guess that part of the ship was completely uninhabited and sealed off from the rest of the ship.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Or apparently weapons to blow up that giant asteroid that they scraped by.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Luigi Thirty posted:

And when he does get promoted due to skill he immediately gets a guy under him killed.

Which is another thing. That live fire exercise is done in a completely open environment with unarmored troops doing laps around it. Don't miss with your infinite ammo rifle! :v:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'm not exactly sure what the point of the live fire exercise was. They were firing real bullets but the targets were just stationary dummies who fired those regular lasers back.

Also the riff for that section had a pretty good point that even if he was wearing his helmet the guy still would have died.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Whelp, I guess if you're like me and missed it the first time...
http://www.fathomevents.com/?utm_so...re-info/details

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

muscles like this? posted:

I'm not exactly sure what the point of the live fire exercise was. They were firing real bullets but the targets were just stationary dummies who fired those regular lasers back.

Also the riff for that section had a pretty good point that even if he was wearing his helmet the guy still would have died.

Yeah, and why were they even training with humanoid targets when their enemies were giant bugs? Nothing makes sense in this movie :(

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

Maybe the whole 'live fire' thing is just a cover, and it's really a weeding-out process the army runs its recruits through. If someone is susceptible to friendly fire on either end, this exercise catches them before they can cause damage on the battlefield.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW
They're doing the live fire exercise to get the feel or shooting real bullets instead of lasers, and just an excuse to show the reckless disregard for human life (M.I. specifically) the military has. We have the drill instructor break someones arm for no reason and throw a knife through the hand of the human tooth.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, story-wise it's to show the brutality of the system, but it's also a nod to realism (of a tactical variety, dare I say?) in that you do have to learn how to properly fire bullets from guns and how to handle recoil and all.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Harry posted:

They're doing the live fire exercise to get the feel or shooting real bullets instead of lasers, and just an excuse to show the reckless disregard for human life (M.I. specifically) the military has. We have the drill instructor break someones arm for no reason and throw a knife through the hand of the human tooth.

And he chokes a bitch.

But then again, he's Clancy Brown, so I'm encouraged to cut him some slack.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
You know in retrospect I never realized the film has two Highlander villains in it.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Maxwell Lord posted:

You know in retrospect I never realized the film has two Highlander villains in it.

Holy poo poo! :aaaaa:

Ok, Casper for Highlander reboot, who's with me?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Maxwell Lord posted:

Yeah, story-wise it's to show the brutality of the system, but it's also a nod to realism (of a tactical variety, dare I say?) in that you do have to learn how to properly fire bullets from guns and how to handle recoil and all.

Armies already do this, its called a shooting range. People usually don't die at those.

Silvergun1000
Sep 17, 2007

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
The theater I saw this in in Reno, NV was packed, even more so than it was for Birdemic I think. The Burning Man joke probably got the biggest laugh, what with it being a local event, with the Slippy joke coming in close second.

I really love the range of their humor. I mean I remember them making an ISO 9000 joke back in MST3K!

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

Armies already do this, its called a shooting range. People usually don't die at those.

You did a really good job ignoring the first part of that quote. I hope you didn't strain yourself.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

Maxwell Lord posted:

Here's another fun fact for you: Because of this movie, Total Recall, and Highlander II, Michael Ironside has gradually been reduced to a torso over the course of his career.

Moscow Mule
Dec 21, 2004

Nothing beats the taste sensation when maple syrup collides with ham.
I'll always laugh at a Slippy joke. I hate that loving frog.

fenix down posted:

No one else got the Sue Ellen Mischke joke at my theater. :I

Yeah they didn't at mine either. :(

My theater had a pretty small turnout, as it usually does. Maybe 20-25 people. There was a funny moment before the show when they showed the slide that said "The guy two seats over rips one at the twelve minute mark." There did happen to be a guy two seats over from me (though the rest of the row was deserted. He smiled and waved at me. His girlfriend and I laughed. :3:

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

tagelthebagel posted:

Also I was in tears at the Gorilla-gram because I knew SOMETHING like that was going to happen during that scene and it was just perfect.

I was hoping for floating NPH heads covering up the naked women

Was there really only one "poo poo" and one "gently caress" in this movie to go along with the violence and topless women? Good job MPAA. I was half worried we'd get a cable TV version of the movie but it was just fine. No Yippee Ki Yay Mr. Falcon or anything.

Also: I've never seen CVD or Dina Meyer in anything else except for episodes of Monk.

Crocuta
Nov 6, 2004
wakkawa

Maxwell Lord posted:

Supposedly, the filmmakers didn't read the book but this seems like something that was carried over from it. In the book, the mobile infantry practice combat against each other using rifles (instead of modern weapons) and every 500 round is live instead of a blank. This is in order to encourage the recruits to take cover even though it's a drill. I'm sure this completely sane practice is part of the reason why the book is required reading for US officers. In retrospect, you could probably have made a parody of the book by just filming the book, I mean, the raison d'etre for the mobile infantry is stated as that they can go in, perform a precision strike without collateral damage and then get out. Only they carry nuclear rockets as part of their standard gear. Which they fire off. In a city. :v: Then there's the fact that the humans develop bombs that can explode a planet, and they have no compulsion against committing genocide, but the super-elite mobile infantry is still necessary for reasons. Gah.. The book is an interesting read as you can see that it is the granddaddy of all space marines in pop culture today (your WH40ks, Gears of War etc.), but it is just so absurd.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.

Crocuta posted:

Supposedly, the filmmakers didn't read the book but this seems like something that was carried over from it.
Ed Neumeier, who wrote the script, had read the book as a teenager. In the early 90s, Neumeier started developing a science fiction screenplay, and noticed the similarities between it and "Starship Troopers". He was shocked to discover "Starship Troopers" had never been made into a movie and that the screenplay rights were available. Verhoeven on the other hand, says that while the movie was in pre-production, he tried reading the book, got about 20 pages in and never finished it because he found it depressingly pro-fascist.

Malachi Constant
Feb 2, 2006

I was a victim of a series of accidents, as are we all
In other news, lowtax did another LP video with Mike Nelson:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lS75SXfa-Dw

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

So, how much of the theater could you actually see over the broadcast? I was at the Belcourt (where they recorded), and they really did up the place - hung banners, had a bug display, and all sorts of stuff. Thought I'd share the picture if you guys were interested.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
They did a pretty good job of showing the set up there. You can see the camera on the jib in your picture and several times throughout the movie they'd do a sweeping shot from the audience to the stage. The gorilla grams gave a few new angles of the stuff as well. If you've seen any of the other Rifftrax live they usually show all the decorations they've put up.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

ClydeUmney posted:

So, how much of the theater could you actually see over the broadcast? I was at the Belcourt (where they recorded), and they really did up the place - hung banners, had a bug display, and all sorts of stuff. Thought I'd share the picture if you guys were interested.

they did wide shots of the whole theater a few times, and I think I saw all of that.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I was wondering the reverse. I was wondering if anyone had the screen blocked at the show by that bug on the left side of the screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Robert Denby posted:

Ed Neumeier, who wrote the script, had read the book as a teenager. In the early 90s, Neumeier started developing a science fiction screenplay, and noticed the similarities between it and "Starship Troopers". He was shocked to discover "Starship Troopers" had never been made into a movie and that the screenplay rights were available. Verhoeven on the other hand, says that while the movie was in pre-production, he tried reading the book, got about 20 pages in and never finished it because he found it depressingly pro-fascist.

Which Verhoeven has a right to feel because he lived as a child in the Nazi-occupied Netherlands during WW2 and witnessed Allied bombing and all the carnage from them (which is reflected through the ultra-violence he puts in his films). He has a very different perspective on fascism than most people which is why he couldn't like the book.

• Locked thread