Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Gross Dude posted:

My favorite iteration of Magic was the original Microprose Shandalar game. It was only PVE and the AI sucked, but it was one of the most fun things magic has ever done. While I love drafting and will play a ton of PVP on this, I think the PVE looks far above what the current Magic games give us. Duels of the Planeswalkers (Not the Microprose one) has always been a huge let down to me.

I've been into Magic forever, and everything about this game is what I've been wanting out of Magic ever since Shandalar.

The image I'm getting in my head from what we know is that PVE might be some crazy-rear end mix of Shandalar, Planechase, and Archenemy with a bit of EDH tossed in if you're playing hard mode. I know I shouldn't set my hopes too high, but the thought makes me giddy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
Oh god yes. Everything I've heard about PVE is making me really want to see what they've got so far.

Gross Dude
Feb 5, 2007

Gross Dude

Zonekeeper posted:

I shouldn't set my hopes too high.

This is me, I haven't been this psyched for a game since Diablo III, and I really didn't enjoy that game...

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
In that gencon deck list thing, I noticed a most foul and horrible of horrors! The mushwocky is *gulps* no longer hungry! How many shin'hare did it take to satiate him? We must know!

I also would like to know if there will be live streaming of hex at gencon or failing that, a video of a game or two later? I don't think there was mention of it here.

Gross Dude posted:

This is me, I haven't been this psyched for a game since Diablo III, and I really didn't enjoy that game...
Well, the good news is you haven't put $250+ dollars behind this. If hex turns out to be utter tat then you're fine. :smithicide:

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

Blazing Zero posted:

In that gencon deck list thing, I noticed a most foul and horrible of horrors! The mushwocky is *gulps* no longer hungry! How many shin'hare did it take to satiate him? We must know!
Where is this Gencon list?

Edit: poo poo, nevermind. I literally took a half second to click a thing and found it. For some reason I thought it was squirreled away somewhere.

Gross Dude
Feb 5, 2007

Gross Dude

Blazing Zero posted:

I think the gencon lists just omitted all flavor text, and since the asterisk is there, I'm assuming he is as hungry as ever.

Begath
Apr 27, 2012

Fish are stupid cause they can't climb trees.

Gross Dude posted:

I think the gencon lists just omitted all flavor text, and since the asterisk is there, I'm assuming he is as hungry as ever.

Yea, it's just a bug in the current test build, according to a crypto employee.

http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=26746&page=2&p=280901#post280901

In other news, they changed up some of the cards. They nerfed my dopplegadget... :(

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Begath posted:

Yea, it's just a bug in the current test build, according to a crypto employee.

http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=26746&page=2&p=280901#post280901

In other news, they changed up some of the cards. They nerfed my dopplegadget... :(

I'm glad that was the case. Mushwocky is a marriage of rules and flavor that Magic wishes it could have. 4 years later they're still jerking off over "the land continues to burn."

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Gross Dude posted:

Sup burned on D3 buddy. I have a Collector's Edition sitting on my shelf, and I didn't play the game past the first month or so.

That said, this seems a lot more up my alley - I wasn't big into D2, but I'm a Magic fiend that refuses to play MTGO due to its horribleness. Hopefully my tendency to overspend on games I'm hyped about doesn't backfire yet again and I get my money's worth out of my Dungeon Crawler package.

Gross Dude
Feb 5, 2007

Gross Dude
There was no update on the main page today, so I took a deeper look around the Hex forums. And they are awful, just terrible. People are posting decklists for a set that we haven't seen all of, some are doing a set review in the style of the Limited Resources M:tG podcast for cards that are subject to change.

But, I think worst of all is a thread that asks the community how they feel about a proposed auction house solution.

The first reply is actually the best one, somebody telling them that they shouldn't ask the members of that forum for advice on anything. But, people apparently have very strong feelings regarding an auction house for a game that they've never played and won't play for months. By far the dumbest thing in that thread is:

quote:

I am assuming the reason why Yoss bring up the idea of using gold as the currency is to put it to use (i.e. make it "valuable" by using it the only legal currency in game). This in turn makes it fiat currency; currency by force.

No fiat currency in my MMO!!!

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
Yeah, stay the hell away from the official forums, they are a poo poo hole. CZ would need a dozen more mods and a much stricter policy of banning rear end in a top hat to make them approachable. Most companies aren't willing to piss off customers like this.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

It's not all terrible. There's the one thread going right now about wanting fishing in hex as some sort of minigame. Lots of 'stop liking this thing I don't like' and 'I like it, so everyone else will like it too' going on. :hurr:

It's entertaining to know that these are the people we will be playing with or against.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Gross Dude posted:

There was no update on the main page today, so I took a deeper look around the Hex forums. And they are awful, just terrible. People are posting decklists for a set that we haven't seen all of, some are doing a set review in the style of the Limited Resources M:tG podcast for cards that are subject to change.

But, I think worst of all is a thread that asks the community how they feel about a proposed auction house solution.

The first reply is actually the best one, somebody telling them that they shouldn't ask the members of that forum for advice on anything. But, people apparently have very strong feelings regarding an auction house for a game that they've never played and won't play for months. By far the dumbest thing in that thread is:

No fiat currency in my MMO!!!

I looked at the auction house thread a few weeks back, because the system it proposes(the GW2 system) is really good and superior to other MMOs auction houses. I figure since they probably haven't made their AH yet this would be a good time to suggest such a system.

Then like two posts later it's just nonstop auction house rage.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Vincent Valentine posted:

I looked at the auction house thread a few weeks back, because the system it proposes(the GW2 system) is really good and superior to other MMOs auction houses. I figure since they probably haven't made their AH yet this would be a good time to suggest such a system.

Then like two posts later it's just nonstop auction house rage.

Well, technically the GW2 system is so much better than other MMO systems because it isn't an auction house at all. It's just a player market where you can one click sell stuff for the highest price people are offering or buy stuff for the lowest price people are offering, or get fancy and put out an offer for what you think it's worth. This is so, so much better than auctions. (Seriously, gently caress auctions.)

Gross Dude
Feb 5, 2007

Gross Dude

malkav11 posted:

Well, technically the GW2 system is so much better than other MMO systems because it isn't an auction house at all. It's just a player market where you can one click sell stuff for the highest price people are offering or buy stuff for the lowest price people are offering, or get fancy and put out an offer for what you think it's worth. This is so, so much better than auctions. (Seriously, gently caress auctions.)

And, it's leagues ahead of MTGO's system. Making a deck on MTGO is the most frustrating experience I've had with magic. My friend and I were going to each build an EDH deck, but we couldn't spend more than ten tickets. Trying to find a bot to trade with that has random common x from 8 years ago is a nightmare. Then the whole process of finding all the cards you want only to find out you didn't put your tickets as tradeable, which you can't change mid trade, so you have to leave to alter your tickets, and then when you come back the shop is in use by someone else. It's really a nightmare.

Wizards has really dropped the ball in so many aspects on MTGO, and I really hope that Hex either provides a far superior experience or makes wizards re-evaluate their product or, hopefully, both.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

Gross Dude posted:

Wizards has really dropped the ball in so many aspects on MTGO.

I know they are still making tons of dough on both physical and digital MTG because of all the tournaments they run successfully every year. How is it that they can't afford to hire devs that aren't idiots? It might not even be that, it seems like they don't have any sort of focus groups or testing to see if the game they crap out is fun to use and/or accessible.

It has to be that there is no competition. I really hope hex does well if only to spur on better and more development of digital card games.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Blazing Zero posted:

I know they are still making tons of dough on both physical and digital MTG because of all the tournaments they run successfully every year. How is it that they can't afford to hire devs that aren't idiots? It might not even be that, it seems like they don't have any sort of focus groups or testing to see if the game they crap out is fun to use and/or accessible.

It has to be that there is no competition. I really hope hex does well if only to spur on better and more development of digital card games.

They can afford it, but Hasbro doesn't care enough to allocate extra funds. Why "fix" the program when it's clearly not broken? People still play in droves and the program makes tons of money.

I agree, I think that Hex will provide them with the right kind of competition and hopefully, they'll hire a real development team and completely overhaul the program.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Some Numbers posted:

I agree, I think that Hex will provide them with the right kind of competition and hopefully, they'll hire a real development team and completely overhaul the program.

Not to mention the price difference. If Hex's drafts are at least as fun/challenging/high-quality as MTG drafts, people are eventually going to migrate to the game that costs half as much for an equivalent experience. This could force Wizards to rethink charging paper prices for digital cards.

Selane
May 19, 2006

I think Wizards is in for a bit of a rude awakening with regards to a decent chunk of their audience. I mean, is Hex going to kill Magic? No, obviously not. The same people will play it, and a lot of serious players/pros will keep playing Modo. But for people like me that only play Magic online, and don't play paper, are you kidding me? As soon as Hex and Hearthstone betas start I'll be uninstalling Modo so fast my hard drive will burst into flames.

Obviously Magic has no problem competing, but Modo sure as hell can't compete with well-designed digital only games, at least for casual players. It's no exaggeration to say that Wizards will never see another cent of my money because digital is all I play, and from the perspective of the digital only player Magic is the ghetto alternative, not Hex.

edit: Not only is Modo a piece of poo poo program, but Wizards isn't doing themselves any favors by treating online only players like second-class citizens with late set releases and whatnot. Plus it's economically impossible for them to compete price wise, when they have to peg prices to paper product.

Here is Stovetop
Feb 20, 2004

...instead of potatoes.

Selane posted:

I think Wizards is in for a bit of a rude awakening with regards to a decent chunk of their audience. I mean, is Hex going to kill Magic? No, obviously not. The same people will play it, and a lot of serious players/pros will keep playing Modo. But for people like me that only play Magic online, and don't play paper, are you kidding me? As soon as Hex and Hearthstone betas start I'll be uninstalling Modo so fast my hard drive will burst into flames.

Obviously Magic has no problem competing, but Modo sure as hell can't compete with well-designed digital only games, at least for casual players. It's no exaggeration to say that Wizards will never see another cent of my money because digital is all I play, and from the perspective of the digital only player Magic is the ghetto alternative, not Hex.

edit: Not only is Modo a piece of poo poo program, but Wizards isn't doing themselves any favors by treating online only players like second-class citizens with late set releases and whatnot. Plus it's economically impossible for them to compete price wise, when they have to peg prices to paper product.

This is the exact same boat I'm in. Also, if MTGO wants to comedown in price they are straight up going to have to stop the trading digital for paper program which I am sure would shut down a lot of players. I know a good chunk of people only play mtgo for anytime drafting and the ability to turn their digital into physical product. Hex doesn't have to worry about pricing their digital product to paper, because you can't cash your digital product back out. I think this program was the big mistake, but at the time, it was probably the only way to grow a user base, as folks at the time weren't real big on purchasing digital property.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
WOTC *can't* make MTGO more attractive than the paper product. It's not just the cannibalization of their live player pool itself that would be a huge problem. They'd also lose a lot of the feeders into their live tournament/pro gaming scene, which is the only reason the paper game is still relevant after 8 years. They neglect the online product for a reason.

It will be very hard for them to change that even after a better card game steals that audience. Making online competitive is taking a huge risk.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
In some ways Hex has an advantage over MTG just because it's a new product line. I don't want to go back to MTG because I'd feel like I had 20 year's worth (well, for me, 15) of cards to collect, and because my limited playing of the Planeswalkers game made me realize there were too many silly-powerful cards out, I guess because that's a good way to get people to buy new sets or something?

As long as they keep their design quality up and don't otherwise gently caress things up I think Hex has a significant potential advantage precisely because it *isn't* MTG.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

Some Numbers posted:

They can afford it, but Hasbro doesn't care enough to allocate extra funds. Why "fix" the program when it's clearly not broken? People still play in droves and the program makes tons of money.

Yes, this is pretty much what I was thinking. I don't really care if hex spurns a better MTG to be developed, specifically. I'd like to see more of the same style games come to a digital format and done really well. A digital A:Netrunner for example would be amazing.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

my limited playing of the Planeswalkers game made me realize there were too many silly-powerful cards out, I guess because that's a good way to get people to buy new sets or something?

As long as they keep their design quality up and don't otherwise gently caress things up I think Hex has a significant potential advantage precisely because it *isn't* MTG.

Power creep is a big deal and while it wouldn't keep me away from MTG if the online game improved drastically, it is surely a good reason not to play again. I'm sure CZE is aware of what power creep is since they operate WoWTCG.

Hex has quite a few advantages, but magic has such a huge mindshare. How many TCGs have been truly successful in it's shadow? Yugioh, Pokemon, and I'm sure I'm missing some others. FFG's games might one day be counted, but they don't quite stack up to the same level. Hex is going to have to be really drat good and stay good if it plans to do as well.

edit: misread Hieron

Blazing Zero fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Aug 7, 2013

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

In some ways Hex has an advantage over MTG just because it's a new product line. I don't want to go back to MTG because I'd feel like I had 20 year's worth (well, for me, 15) of cards to collect, and because my limited playing of the Planeswalkers game made me realize there were too many silly-powerful cards out, I guess because that's a good way to get people to buy new sets or something?

If you think a 15-cost Eldrazi is "silly-powerful", you're kind of the silly one! There are very few ways to get him into play except via ridiculous combos or bullshit luck, and if you seriously lose to him constantly you have issues. M:tG design is in a serious upswing lately.

Of course, I still backed Hex for 250 bucks because I love drafting and 50% cheaper drafts are bananas. I'll still probably occasionally play MTGO, but only to play Pauper.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Epsilon Plus posted:

If you think a 15-cost Eldrazi is "silly-powerful", you're kind of the silly one! There are very few ways to get him into play except via ridiculous combos or bullshit luck, and if you seriously lose to him constantly you have issues. M:tG design is in a serious upswing lately.

Of course, I still backed Hex for 250 bucks because I love drafting and 50% cheaper drafts are bananas. I'll still probably occasionally play MTGO, but only to play Pauper.

Well, there are a fair number of cheats to get him in in older formats. He was fine in standard

gameday
Apr 29, 2006

Hungry for sport
While we're all waiting on any word for alpha/beta, I bet a lot of people here will be interested in what Blizzard has to say regarding the upcoming Hearthstone beta:

http://www.polygon.com/2013/8/7/4600314/hearthstone-heroes-of-warcraft-beta-not-months-away-blizzard-says

It's "not days away, but not months away, either." Something to do until Hex comes around.

Gross Dude
Feb 5, 2007

Gross Dude
There is currently a thread on the official forums for slacker backers to get a chance at getting the kick calledstarter cards. There are ten slots left out of sotwo hundred. One will randomly be selected to receive one of each kick starter card. It's fan run, so maybe not a one hundred percent sure thing, but if you are a slacker backer, you may as well. I'd post a link, but my phone sucks. Its a thread called, so you missed the kick starter.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
No word on the "alpha" yet, right? Weren't they saying early august?

q_k
Dec 31, 2007

No word on the "alpha" yet, right? Weren't they saying early august?

No, they only said it would be a few weeks before beta, which is supposed to be sometime in September, but no real hard date on that. I'm betting they will announce something after or at Gencon.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

q_k posted:

No, they only said it would be a few weeks before beta, which is supposed to be sometime in September, but no real hard date on that. I'm betting they will announce something after or at Gencon.

Yes, I'm operating under the assumption that if things go well at GenCon (no major crashes or connectivity issues, etc) the alpha will follow in a couple weeks.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

They had a live stream of an orc rage deck vrs a sapphire flying deck. Each game was a race to the bottom but with some neat mechanics on the sapphire side. There was a guy that added two 2/2 creatures with "draw a card when this is played" to the deck each turn. They also had a 0/1 flock of seagulls card that was 'defensive' (wall) and reduced all damage done to it to 0. The orcs had ridiculous rage stacking and speed effects. There will probably be a recording of the stream on twitch.tv/hextcg.

Oh and they stated that alpha will be at the "end of september." Some whining in chat for possibly broken cards to be changed after release and them saying they won't, preferring to ban cards in formats instead.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Yeah, the 1 drop Ancestor Spectre-summoning guy is interesting. 1 for a 1/1 that shuffles a pair of 1 cost 2/2 flier cantrips into your deck at the start of each of your turns. They only clutter the deck in a minor way since you draw a card when you play them (but do cost 1 so it's slightly worse than if they weren't there if you somehow can't make use of the 2/2 flier chassis). Overall it seems like a really nice 1-drop.

There were also some control spells shown: one X-cost instant that tapped X creatures and one 3-cost instant that bounces a creature to hand and gives it permanent +1 cost. The second one actually got used as a ghetto cantrip by bouncing his own Ancestral Spectre in one game.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Archive is up: http://www.twitch.tv/hextcg/b/443356012

Midrena
May 2, 2009
Blazing Zero mentioned it in an earlier post, but wanted to post this tweet!

(The vid isn't live anymore obviously -- i.e., the second part of the tweet -- but who cares because OMG it's coming...)

Cory confirmed alpha at the end of September!

Clicky source

Midrena fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Aug 10, 2013

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Midrena posted:

Blazing Zero mentioned it in an earlier post, but wanted to post this tweet!

(The vid isn't live anymore obviously -- i.e., the second part of the tweet -- but who cares because OMG it's coming...)

Cory confirmed alpha at the end of September!

Clicky source

Well that sucks, I was hoping closer to the beginning of the month. At least I'll get my GenCon fix next week

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

Karnegal posted:

Well that sucks, I was hoping closer to the beginning of the month. At least I'll get my GenCon fix next week

I was hoping for the same thing but like you say, gencon. :unsmith: Do we know if CZE or anyone at all might be streaming or recording hex at the event?

Gross Dude
Feb 5, 2007

Gross Dude
I Heard that the hex machines at Gencon weren't working. Anyone there to confirm this?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Gross Dude posted:

I Heard that the hex machines at Gencon weren't working. Anyone there to confirm this?

Apparently the wifi was down so they had to go out and buy ethernet cables to get everything working. Pictures here:

http://www.thehexvault.com/blog/2013/08/15/gencon-2013-thursday-pictures/

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Gross Dude posted:

Played it. Lots of bugs but it works

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

Karnegal posted:

Played it. Lots of bugs but it works

Those pictures tell a story of a good product coming out. Can't wait to see more or read more details and impressions. The end of September can't come fast enough. :smith:

• Locked thread