Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Chinatown posted:

That's not a 1 series though. Its a 3 series coupe. A 4 series.

You see, 3 PLUS the 1 equals a 4 minus 2 doors but still with 4 wheels PLUS 1 steering wheel(?), so uh....:negative:

Are you for real? What the titty-loving Christ, how is it not just an m3 anymore. Jesus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Slavvy posted:

Are you for real? What the titty-loving Christ, how is it not just an m3 anymore. Jesus.

Makes you think.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Slavvy posted:

The sedans are now 3 series only, so the 4 door M will be the M3. The coupes are now the 4 series, so the M will be the M4. It follows the same naming scheme that the 5/6 series has always followed. This is probably because the coupe is a decent bit more expensive than the 3, but also comes with more standard features, just like the 6 does over the 5.

Edit: you would think all this hate over the naming change would be for a Ferrari. Who would have thought that the most important part of a BMW is it's naming.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

With luxury cars I take the 'who's line is it anyway' approach: the numbers are made up and the letters don't matter. As long as you can still look down on anyone with a smaller number on the back, of course.

redgubbinz fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Aug 16, 2013

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Stealth Like posted:

The sedans are now 3 series only, so the 4 door M will be the M3. The coupes are now the 4 series, so the M will be the M4. It follows the same naming scheme that the 5/6 series has always followed. This is probably because the coupe is a decent bit more expensive than the 3, but also comes with more standard features, just like the 6 does over the 5.

Edit: you would think all this hate over the naming change would be for a Ferrari. Who would have thought that the most important part of a BMW is it's naming.

It only annoys me because BMW has always had a really good, logical naming scheme. I like that the name of a model used to tell you exactly what platform it was and what sort of engine it had, but now it's just marketing-driven nonsense. BMW were one of the brands that came closest to having a naming scheme that wasn't completely arbitrary and driven by the fashions of the time.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Slavvy posted:

It only annoys me because BMW has always had a really good, logical naming scheme. I like that the name of a model used to tell you exactly what platform it was and what sort of engine it had, but now it's just marketing-driven nonsense. BMW were one of the brands that came closest to having a naming scheme that wasn't completely arbitrary and driven by the fashions of the time.

But the 3 series is the only one that was never split in the first place. If anything, it was the least logical of all the BMW naming schemes. The 5 series is the four door version, with the 6 series as the two door version of that platform. The 7 series is again larger, and with four doors, and the two door version when it existed on the same platform was the 8 series. The 3 series was the only one that combined the 2 and 4 door models together.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
So wait, does that mean that there's going to be a 2 series as a coupe/2dr version of the 1 series? Then they'll have to make X versions of all the inbetween models...

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Can't forget about the 6 series sedan, either.

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

Wild EEPROM posted:

Can't forget about the 6 series sedan, either.

No. No! That's a gran coupe, silly. I also hate the new naming scheme. Just tossers at work.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Simkin posted:

So wait, does that mean that there's going to be a 2 series as a coupe/2dr version of the 1 series? Then they'll have to make X versions of all the inbetween models...

Yes, there will be.

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011
I can deal with 3/4 series, even though M4 sounds dumb right now. What really gets me is that they can't be consistent with the engine size for marketing reasons. They couldn't go from 328 to 320 because obviously 320 must be inferior. Every other brand does this and it's terrible. The replacement for the Infiniti G37 is the Q50 or something like that. It comes with the 3.7L.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Simkin posted:

The world is full of people who won't stop bitching that every 3 series since the new F30 E90 E46 loving E30 is too big, so a 2 series (and thus 4 door 1 series) would actually make perfect sense. It might cannibalize 3 series sales, but they'll charge almost 3 series money for it and cheapen it up enough on the inside to come out ahead.

Like how the Corrola and Civic kept getting bigger until they had to make a smaller model below them.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

Wonder if they will still make an M3 as a four door?

As for as the disappointment over the "wrong" naming schemes, it's not exactly new. The e21 and e30 had 316 models with 1.8 engines.

radikewlism
Jan 4, 2007

stump posted:

Wonder if they will still make an M3 as a four door?

As for as the disappointment over the "wrong" naming schemes, it's not exactly new. The e21 and e30 had 316 models with 1.8 engines.

They will not as that is mostly the reason they created the four series, to give the two door coupe its own series/name. The three series will only be a four door, m and all.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Stealth Like posted:

But the 3 series is the only one that was never split in the first place. If anything, it was the least logical of all the BMW naming schemes. The 5 series is the four door version, with the 6 series as the two door version of that platform. The 7 series is again larger, and with four doors, and the two door version when it existed on the same platform was the 8 series. The 3 series was the only one that combined the 2 and 4 door models together.

Guess what used to be the body style of the 3 series cars?

I don't know if the 8 series shared anything with the 7-series, but even if it did, those cars are nothing alike, the 850 is not a coupe version of 750. The 6 series was a replacement for the CSLs that did share some stuff with the 5 series, but I'm not sure if it would be fair to call it a coupe version of the 5er, either.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

mobby_6kl posted:

Guess what used to be the body style of the 3 series cars?

I don't know if the 8 series shared anything with the 7-series, but even if it did, those cars are nothing alike, the 850 is not a coupe version of 750. The 6 series was a replacement for the CSLs that did share some stuff with the 5 series, but I'm not sure if it would be fair to call it a coupe version of the 5er, either.

Still doesn't change the fact that the new naming scheme at least makes some sense, and that the uproar about it is absolutely hilarious. And to the person that asked before about there being an M3. Yes, that is what the four door version will be called.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I'm way past the point of caring what they name newer BMWs--I'll just keep to my older BMWs because thats what keeps me happy.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
I know there's a little bit of history to the car but with such a boring naming scheme I'm surprised anyone even cares. Actually what surprises me most is that they made the coupe the 4 and kept the 4-door as the 3, since most BMW buyers just want a bigger number and the4-door sells more units I assume. Also this was all explained like 2 or 3 years ago right?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Pretty funny. I wonder who will get the actual reg when it's out.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
But what about this

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
And this...

I have a feeling these are becoming more and more forgotten, but someone still loves this thing.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

:siren: ARGUING ABOUT BMW NAMING IS NOT AWESOME NOR AI :siren:

Post pictures you fuckers.

Apparently these guys didn't get the memo.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

The reason the M version of the 1-series isn't called the M1 is because it could never match up to this:

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
I personally would be just fine with them renaming everything if they decided to combine this:

With this:

And call that an M3. I know that turbocharging is necessary because of emissions and US CAFE standards for large volume cars, but I'd prefer the line be low weight and powered by a small displacement, high revving, naturally aspirated engine. The E92 teeters on being overweight; if you option it carefully it's just light enough that it really feels good to drive, but if you drive one with all the boxes ticked that extra 250lbs is very noticeable, and I can tell that the lower weight of the 1M has an impact on its handling. It's worth noting that they share a chassis and a number of suspension parts as well. I can always hope that there will be an M2 that's closer to the old formula, because that's what buyers like me want and I'm pretty sure I'm not alone.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
For that matter, they should stick this thing in a 1 series:

and call it the 110!

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
Spotted this on the way home today. Not really "Insanity", but looked in really good condition.

A Silver Spirit, apparently.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

mobby_6kl posted:

For that matter, they should stick this thing in a 1 series:

and call it the 110!

I really want to drive the e30 that has one of those. That thing must be insanely fun.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Pagani doesn't get in because it looks like a steampunk convention took place all over the dash :colbert:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

what is this one from? Gorgeous.

The Bugatti is very nice but completely let down by the terrible generic VW negative LCD in the middle. RR, as usual, pure class.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^
Children's toys are so cute with their flashing lights. :smugbert:

Toyota 88C-V

Octopus Magic fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Aug 16, 2013

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Stealth Like posted:

I really want to drive the e30 that has one of those. That thing must be insanely fun.

Is that the one which has a Dinan stroker kit in it, and is somewhere around 650bhp in a car that's only a couple of hundred pounds heavier than standard?

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Linedance posted:

The Bugatti is very nice but completely let down by the terrible generic VW negative LCD in the middle. RR, as usual, pure class.

It's actually a SAAB piece from their Aero X concept. Here's the full dash:

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Linedance posted:

Saab Aero-X concept

edit: drat you, Devyl!

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Walked down the street for a burrito and saw this along the way. I don't remember what it is, though.
(loving HDR was on for the first one, sorry)

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

'39 chevy, modified a bit.

triple clutcher
Jul 3, 2012

Pham Nuwen posted:

Walked down the street for a burrito and saw this along the way. I don't remember what it is, though.
1939 Chevrolet Master 85, I think.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
This was in the parking lot at work today. :fap:

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Das Volk posted:

And this...

I have a feeling these are becoming more and more forgotten, but someone still loves this thing.

This thing is amazing. I love that era of MBs.

This popped up a few months ago on eBay:

TP Racing
Oct 21, 2004
I`m from Norway, I hunt whales and kill those small, cute white seals.

neckbeard posted:

They're the happiest looking car ever made.

I saw one on Friday at a car show;

Austin-Healey Sprite by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Parked next to a 1939 Buick Special, the size comparison between the two was like that pic of the Lotus Elise next to the Rolls Royce Phantom

Also, this:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

I saw this on GramCracker's FB feed and figured he would have posted it here by now, but since he hasn't: Ferrari F40 LM Restoration on Build Threads.