Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Psion posted:

Personally, I think they got it right the second time around with the MiG-31:

The -31 is pretty cool also. Mr. Despair, thanks for the extra information about Pegasus/Orbital Sciences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
What's the difference between the -25 and the -31? Avionics upgrades and stuff like that?

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Mike-o posted:

What's the difference between the -25 and the -31? Avionics upgrades and stuff like that?

The MiG-31 is a two-man cockpit (most -25s are one-man) with somewhat newer gear in a lot of respects. IIRC the engines are more durable, the radar is better, and so on. It's actually slower, since going Mach 3+ in a MiG-25 usually melted the engines before too long anyway. It's also more specifically an interceptor and AWACS hunter, whereas the MiG-25 was intended to also be a reconnaissance aircraft or even a bomber.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Mortabis posted:

Also, he's 6'1" which is probably pretty big for Soviet air assault troops.

I'm 5'11" and not fat and could literally not fit in various Russian tanks/APCs I played around with and still close the hatch, wearing no gear at all.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

The biggest difference though, is that the -31 is an entirely different airframe. It's smaller by volume in any case. They may look like the same aircraft, but no two measurements are the same. And who cares if the -31 is somehow a better kite, the MiG-25 is the most :black101: machine in history. It goes so fast that it Melts, ffs. Fastest fighter everrr...

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Also probably the worst fighter ever, because it's not really a fighter.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

A low low price for :black101:

ThisIsJohnWayne fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Aug 15, 2013

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Godholio posted:

Counterpoint: F-102/106, F-111

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

mlmp08 posted:

I'm 5'11" and not fat and could literally not fit in various Russian tanks/APCs I played around with and still close the hatch, wearing no gear at all.

The issue of space inside Soviet fighting vehicles was a legitimate issue. The T-55 and T-62 both had godawful rates of fire something like 1/2 to 1/3rd that of NATO tanks like the M48/M60/Chieftain/Leopard 1 even in optimal conditions with a great crew and a full load of ammunition simply because the crew compartment made it extremely difficult for the loader to do his job.
The solution to the rate of fire issue was the autoloader first introduced in the T-64 but the Soviets still found that the crews tired out pretty quickly due to the cramped conditions.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Some of the FSU IFVs that carried a squad or fire team had an entry hole roughly 3.5 feet off the ground that was a square, maybe 18" on a side at most. You know what's loving awkward? Crawling through an 18x18" hole 3.5 feet off the ground.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
Everyone here has watched "The Day After" right? The 1983 made for TV movie? It's probably the best of the 80's Nuclear Apocalypse movies. The complete movie is on Youtube and available in 480P at 1.75:1 ratio which is about as good as you'll ever find. I have the original VHS because I'm a giant post-appoc nerd.. I still break out my VCR once or twice a year to watch it with folks who haven't seen it before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUEINQCKLHc

Also, there are just a ton of great 40's - 70's DoD / U.S. government produced training films and documentarys that cover everything about coldwar USA all over youtube. I've been thinking about trawling all the various ones that have been uploaded and creating a comprehensive "Neat original cold war video's" playlist.

Any interest? Or better yet, anyone interested in helping me?

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

CISNAZI WEEDHITLER posted:

Everyone here has watched "The Day After" right? The 1983 made for TV movie? It's probably the best of the 80's Nuclear Apocalypse movies.

Oh my god look at how loving wrong you are.

http://youtu.be/_MCbTvoNrAg

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Smiling Jack posted:

Oh my god look at how loving wrong you are.

http://youtu.be/_MCbTvoNrAg

And if you favor the depressing over the frightening,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9aHT-IlkHo

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Snowdens Secret posted:

F-117

It baffles me why that or the aardvark was given a fighter designation. Were either of them wired up for any air to air weapons at all?

mlmp08 posted:

5'6" supremacy :smug:

literally the only thing where that is really an advantage...well, that and dodgeball

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Might have been even ok with an A designation. It drops bombs, but veeery few of them at a time. drat thing maxes out at 2x2000 lb bombs.

Edit: The 117 designation is also really weird. Since it was developed after they switched the numbering system. Wiki claims it was the random call number they used during trial flights and it somehow stuck.

Alaan fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Aug 15, 2013

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

I remember seeing a documentary on the f-117 and I'm sure someone was saying they gave it an f designation to attract fighter pilots who wouldn't otherwise want to fly a bomber.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Mortabis posted:

It baffles me why that or the aardvark was given a fighter designation. Were either of them wired up for any air to air weapons at all?

It was always meant to be a fighter-bomber type aircraft, with the Navy variant being an interceptor carrying Phoenix missiles.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
I thought the F-117's designator was intended as another throwoff, part of keeping it secret, so that if anyone came on the name they'd be looking in the wrong places for what it was. Everything else F-112+ is some variant of missile.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
The F-111's designation came out of the pre-1962 system, and with it being planned as a multi-role plane, the fighter moniker was the only logical thing to attach to it (since of course pilots don't want to fly anything else than the fastest, pointiest, shooting-downest of aircraft).

The same kind of thinking might have prevailed with the Nighthawk but seeing as Wikipedia quotes a 2006 ~History Channel~ show on it, I'd rather pass up on that particular explanation (even if it was said by someone involved in the project they might as well have been shooting the poo poo anyway).

Surely the simplest and most rational explanation is the Tonopah Test Range radio callsign/4477 TES usage thing:

secretprojects.co.uk forum posted:

[...] the USAF has continued to use the old three-digit series unofficially for secret evaluation of foreign types and a few black programs. Designations such as YF-110 (a MiG-21), YF-113G (a secret US prototype), YF-117A (which became the Nighthawk), YF-117D (a Northrop program, the Tacit Blue I think) for instance have been identified. Apart from the now public F-117, Tacit Blue and Bird of Prey, and the declassified YF-110, none of these has been publicly ackowledged.

Here's the YF-110 story: http://www.airforcemag.com/MagazineArchive/Pages/2010/June%202010/0610doughnut.aspx

e: Of course, designation-systems has had it figured out for years and I forgot all about it :sweatdrop:

Koesj fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Aug 15, 2013

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)

Everyone here has watched "The Day After" right? The 1983 made for TV movie? It's probably the best of the 80's Nuclear Apocalypse movies. The complete movie is on Youtube and available in 480P at 1.75:1 ratio which is about as good as you'll ever find. I have the original VHS because I'm a giant post-appoc nerd.. I still break out my VCR once or twice a year to watch it with folks who haven't seen it before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUEINQCKLHc

Lol, you silly-dilly, that's not THREADS.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

joat mon posted:

And if you favor the depressing over the frightening,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9aHT-IlkHo

There's also an Uzbek animated adaptation of Bradbury's story "There Will Come Soft Rains":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfI69DC_jaw

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Snowdens Secret posted:

I thought the F-117's designator was intended as another throwoff, part of keeping it secret, so that if anyone came on the name they'd be looking in the wrong places for what it was. Everything else F-112+ is some variant of missile.

I thought that was the skipped F-19 designation when the Tigershark was built? It fooled Tom Clancy, heh.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

quote:

They wanted to redesignate the F-5G as F-20A, because they preferred an even number. The Soviet competitors in the export fighter market of the early 1980s all used odd numbers, and Northrop wanted to stand out from these.

*Fighter marketing*

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Well it didn't work because Reagan did the smart thing by letting people buy the F-16 anyway. Would have been kind of cool if it had gone into ANG service though.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Snowdens Secret posted:

F-106s were actually pretty drat good interceptors.

The other two stand, though.

Koesj beat me to the punch on the Tonopah/4477th TES thing with the -117...it's still really amusing to me how we crafted a cover story inside a cover story, in that the plan for the Red Eagles from the beginning was to be a cover for the F-117. They started flying random poo poo up around Tonopah prior to starting up the Red Eagle program to serve as a "cover" for that, but from the beginning the plan was to use that "black" program to serve as cover for building up Tonopah to support the F-117. As they transitioned the Red Eagles from a black world to grey program in the mid '80s the F-117 program ramped up and the extra activity at Tonopah was explained away as supporting the MiGs that weren't officially there. It was never really a secret that we had the MiGs, what was secret (and remained secret until the program was declassified) was what we were doing with them...the thing that really needed to be kept completely secret was the F-117.

If you all haven't read Davies' Red Eagles, you need to.

Frozen Horse
Aug 6, 2007
Just a humble wandering street philosopher.

Godholio posted:

World's fastest mobile anti-aircraft missile site?

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

iyaayas01 posted:

Air to air nukes is just cheating.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Also, there are just a ton of great 40's - 70's DoD / U.S. government produced training films and documentarys that cover everything about coldwar USA all over youtube. I've been thinking about trawling all the various ones that have been uploaded and creating a comprehensive "Neat original cold war video's" playlist.

Any interest? Or better yet, anyone interested in helping me?

Yes, I watch way way too many of those things. For a good "bomber era" one look for A Day Called X.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueEl7A7KaHA

MX Missile fun.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VACjHMrvJXM

SAC Global Shield 1980
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFQQB-Dn5CQ

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Aug 16, 2013

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=9be_1376591341

I'd like to imagine some eccentric Russian billionaire was out enjoying his Cold War play-set. The music just makes it even more awesome.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

iyaayas01 posted:

The other two stand, though.

Koesj beat me to the punch on the Tonopah/4477th TES thing with the -117...it's still really amusing to me how we crafted a cover story inside a cover story, in that the plan for the Red Eagles from the beginning was to be a cover for the F-117. They started flying random poo poo up around Tonopah prior to starting up the Red Eagle program to serve as a "cover" for that, but from the beginning the plan was to use that "black" program to serve as cover for building up Tonopah to support the F-117. As they transitioned the Red Eagles from a black world to grey program in the mid '80s the F-117 program ramped up and the extra activity at Tonopah was explained away as supporting the MiGs that weren't officially there. It was never really a secret that we had the MiGs, what was secret (and remained secret until the program was declassified) was what we were doing with them...the thing that really needed to be kept completely secret was the F-117.

If you all haven't read Davies' Red Eagles, you need to.

The Army in a shocking display of competence actually managed to keep a lid on the T-80U they had tooling around Aberdeen. It took nearly a decade for photos of it to leak out.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

falen55 posted:

From right to left (SU-100, IS-2, SU-152, the rest I don't know)

That "SU-152" looks to actually be an ISU-122; the casemate looks too tall for an SU-152 and the gun appears to be a 122mm not a 152mm.

falen55
Mar 15, 2006

Insert name here posted:

That "SU-152" looks to actually be an ISU-122; the casemate looks too tall for an SU-152 and the gun appears to be a 122mm not a 152mm.

I think you're right. The gun looks very similar to the IS-2 right beside it. Also seems like the ISU-152 had either the short stubby arty gun like in one of the other pics, or the long death cannon that was added after WW2, like this:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Frozen Horse posted:

World's fastest mobile anti-aircraft missile site?

It's a like comparing a top fuel car to an F-1 car. If you use it in the right situation, the top fueler is going to own bones. But anywhere else, it's worthless. The way the MiG-25 shot down that old F/A-18 (not super hornet) was to run the gently caress away, slow down so it could turn around, then catch back up and shoot from behind.

That's not a very sound tactical doctrine for a fighter.

Edit: V I can't even bring myself to respond.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Aug 16, 2013

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
Counterpoint: The MiG-25 is the coolest looking plane ever. It just looks completely badass from any angle. If I could take a ride in any plane, that would be the one. :allears:

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

I have a rifle and a frying pan and I know how to use them

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Counterpoint: The MiG-25 is the coolest looking plane ever. It just looks completely badass from any angle. If I could take a ride in any plane, that would be the one. :allears:

Save your pennies!

rusadventures.com/tour6.shtml

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
I had a dream last night that I watched one of these:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tu-160

crash into my parents' front yard. Soviet markings and everything. I took pictures, too, so I was kind of disappointed when I woke up.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Admiral Bosch posted:

I had a dream last night that I watched one of these:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tu-160

crash into my parents' front yard. Soviet markings and everything. I took pictures, too, so I was kind of disappointed when I woke up.

Do you read old issues of Soviet Military Power before you go to bed? It's okay I do too sometimes, lots of fun vintage Cold War DOD publishing. Very nice art too

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Mortabis posted:

Air to air nukes is just cheating.

All's fair in love and global thermonuclear war.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

gfanikf posted:

Yes, I watch way way too many of those things. For a good "bomber era" one look for A Day Called X.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueEl7A7KaHA

MX Missile fun.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VACjHMrvJXM

SAC Global Shield 1980
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFQQB-Dn5CQ

Oh thanks man, these are 3 really good additions to my playlist.

If anyone else has suggestions for awesome cold war / nuclear war youtube video's to add to the playlist please lemme know!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

StandardVC10 posted:

All's fair in love and global thermonuclear war.

The only way to win is not to play.