Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

General Battuta posted:

If you're going to start Malazan start with the second book. You'll have no idea what's going on either way and it's a better book.

A better suggestion is to buy Memories of Ice but only read the prologue. By the time you're done with that you'll know if you like the writing, and you won't be spoiled for anything in the story's present day - or at least, nothing you'll notice until it happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
^^^^ But not reading the climax of MoI ought to be a crime. ;)

Seldom Posts posted:

I read book 1 a year or more ago. Wasn't overwhelmed, but didn't hate it. I found the next two at a used bookstore so I'll probably read them at some point. Is there something online that will refresh the salient plot points from #1 for me so that I don't miss stuff in the next two? Wikipedia just tells me what I can already remember, but I seem to recall some other stuff vaguely, like a magic portal during the garden party that went to some weird place.
The thing is, nothing is explained in book 1 so anything you look up would essentially be spoilers for later books. I'd either re-read it eventually or just keep moving on, you'll remember most of the characters who matter, quickly enough.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Does anybody have good recommendations for time travel books? Ideally something where time travel is a major component, as opposed to a fish-out-of-water type thing like A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court (which I admit I haven't finished). Really, any suggestions are welcome.

A A 2 3 5 8 K
Nov 24, 2003
Illiteracy... what does that word even mean?

Aston posted:

Does anybody have good recommendations for time travel books? Ideally something where time travel is a major component

The End of Eternity, by Asimov, is great.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Aston posted:

Does anybody have good recommendations for time travel books? Ideally something where time travel is a major component, as opposed to a fish-out-of-water type thing like A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court (which I admit I haven't finished). Really, any suggestions are welcome.

Tim Powers has a few, though i'm not sure his version of time travel is what you're looking for (its a major component but it isn't always voluntary or controllable). Anubis Gates is probably my favorite, but Salvage and Demolition (new novella) is pretty good as well for an intro to what a Powers time travel story reads like.

Kage Baker's Company books might fit the bill as well; those are more traditional (time traveling cyborgs preserving historical relics.)

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Aston posted:

To Say Nothing of the Dog is the best time travel book I ever read, it's really awesome. The cool thing is that the rather unique time travel mechanics are experimented with and a central part of the story.

Zola
Jul 22, 2005

What do you mean "impossible"? You're so
cruel, Roger Smith...

Walh Hara posted:

To Say Nothing of the Dog is the best time travel book I ever read, it's really awesome. The cool thing is that the rather unique time travel mechanics are experimented with and a central part of the story.

I second the rec, and it's also very funny.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Yes, read Connie Willis!

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

Walh Hara posted:

I'm not going to unrecommend it, because I gave my copy to my mom and she absolutely loved it, but if you're a binge reader like me, don't do what I did and read the whole thing in one evening, because the 500 page book is kind of repetitive, especially when the characters are running down the clues over and over again in some kind of Agatha Christie pastiche. What I'm saying is, that book did not need all those 500 pages to tell the story. Also, don't read Three Men in a Boat directly before this book either (save it for after), or her Jerome K. Jerome references will thump you over the head with as much subtlety as a 24 lb flounder and be more annoying than clever.

I liked the rest of it though.

Edit: I've been wanting to give Connie Willis another go. Any recommendations?

Stuporstar fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Aug 15, 2013

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Aston posted:

Does anybody have good recommendations for time travel books?

Just heard about this today:

quote:

The Time Traveler's Almanac

On the heels of the World Fantasy Award winning The Weird, the next genre-defining anthology from award-winning team Ann and Jeff VanderMeer explores the popular world of time travel fiction

The Time Traveler’s Almanac is the largest, most definitive collection of time travel stories ever assembled. Gathered into one volume by intrepid chrononauts and world-renowned anthologists Ann and Jeff VanderMeer, this almanac compiles more than a century’s worth of literary travels into the past and the future to reacquaint readers with beloved classics and introduce them to thrilling contemporary examples of the time travel genre.

Featuring over seventy journeys into time from Douglas Adams, Isaac Asimov, Ray Bradbury, William Gibson, Ursula K. Le Guin, George R. R. Martin, Michael Moorcock, H. G. Wells, Connie Willis, Charles Yu, and many more, The Time Traveler’s Almanac covers millions of years of Earth’s history, from the age of the dinosaurs through to strange and fascinating futures.

In fact, The Time Traveler’s Almanac will serve as a time machine of its very own: the ultimate treasury of time travel stories, spanning the distance from the beginning of time to its very end.

In addition to collecting some of the best time travel fiction from over the past 100 years, the VanderMeers have commissioned original non-fiction, including an introduction by Rian Johnson, the writer and director of the recent Bruce Willis time travel movie Looper as well as an essay on the science of time travel by Stan Love, an astronaut from NASA. Other contributors are Charles Yu, Genevieve Valentine and Jason Heller.

Want to see the table of contents?

quote:

FICTION
“Young Zaphod Plays It Safe” by Douglas Adams
“Terminós” by Dean Francis Alfar
“What If?” by Issac Asimov
“Noble Mold” by Kage Baker
“A Night on the Barbary Coast” by Kage Baker
“Life Trap” by Barrington J Bayley
“This Tragic Glass” by Elizabeth Bear
“Enoch Soames” by Max Beerbohn
“The Most Important Thing in the World” by Steve Bein
“In The Tube” by E.F. Benson
“The Mask of the Rex” by Richard Bowes
“A Sound of Thunder” by Ray Bradbury
“Bad Timing” by Molly Brown
“The Gulf of the Years” by George-Olivier Châteaureynaud
“The Threads of Time” by C.J. Cherryh
“Thirty Seconds From Now” by John Chu
“Palindromic” by Peter Crowther
“Domine” by Rjurik Davidson
“The Lost Continent” by Greg Egan
“The Gernsback Continuum” by William Gibson
“3 RMS, Good View” by Karen Haber
“Message in a Bottle” by Nalo Hopkinson
“The Great Clock” by Langdon Jones
“Hwang’s Billion Brilliant Daughters” by Alice Sola Kim
“On the Watchtower at Plataea” by Garry Kilworth
“Time Gypsies” by Ellen Klages
“Vintage Seasons” by Henry & C.L. Moore Kuttner
“At Dorado” by Geoffrey Landis
“Ripples in the Dirac Sea” by Geoffrey Landis
“The Final Days” by David Langford
“Fish Night” by Joe Lansdale
“As Time Goes By” by Tanith Lee
“Another Story” by Ursula K. LeGuin
“Loob” by Bob Leman
“Alexia and Graham Bell” by Rosaleen Love
“Traveller’s Rest” by David Masson
“Death Ship” by Richard Matheson
“Under Siege” by George R.R. Martin
“The Clock That Went Backwards” by Edward Page Mitchell
“Pale Rose” by Michael Moorcock
“The House that Made the Sixteen Loops of Time” by Tamsyn Muir
“Is There Anybody There?” by Kim Newman
“Come-From-Always” by Tony Pi
“The Time Telephone” by Adam Roberts
“Red Letter Day” by Kristine Kathryn Rusch
“The Waitabits” by Eric Frank Russell
“If Ever I Should Leave You” by Pamela Sargent
“How the Future Got Better” by Eric Schaller
“Needle in a Timestack” by Robert Silverberg
“Delhi” by Vandana Singh
“Himself in Anachron” by Cordwainer Smith
“The Weed of Time” by Norman Spinrad
“Palimpsest” by Charlie Stross
“Yesterday Was Monday” by Theodore Sturgeon
“Triceratops Summer” by Michael Swanwick
“The Mouse Ran Down” by Adrian Tchaikovsky
“Augusta Prima” by Karin Tidbeck
“Twenty-One and Counting Up” by Harry Turtledove
“Forty, Counting Down” by Harry Turtledove
“Where or When” by Steve Utley
“Swing Time” by Carrie Vaughn
“(excerpt from) The Time Machine” by H.G. Wells
“Fire Watch” by Connie Willis
“Against the Lafayette Escadrille” by Gene Wolfe
“The Lost Pilgrim” by Gene Wolfe

NON-FICTION
Introduction by Rian Johnson
Music for Time Travelers by Jason Heller
The Science of Time Travel by Stan Love
Trousseau, Fashion for Time Travelers by Genevieve Valentine
Top Ten Tips for Time Travelers by Charles Yu

(apparently that's not the final order, they've just listed the stories alphabetically by author)

To be honest an 800 page anthology is not for me because I would never, ever loving finish the thing. But if you want time travel SF, then, gently caress, it should have all bases covered.

edit: it comes out March 2014 though

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Aug 15, 2013

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

coyo7e posted:

^^^^ But not reading the climax of MoI ought to be a crime. ;)

The thing is, nothing is explained in book 1 so anything you look up would essentially be spoilers for later books. I'd either re-read it eventually or just keep moving on, you'll remember most of the characters who matter, quickly enough.

Ok, thanks.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Hedrigall posted:

Just heard about this today:

(apparently that's not the final order, they've just listed the stories alphabetically by author)

To be honest an 800 page anthology is not for me because I would never, ever loving finish the thing. But if you want time travel SF, then, gently caress, it should have all bases covered.

I got more and more excited, and then I saw March 2014. Doh!

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Thanks for the replies, sounds like To Say Nothing of The Dog is a good place to start.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Less Fat Luke posted:

I got more and more excited, and then I saw March 2014. Doh!
You'd think that wouldn't be a problem, given the subject matter.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

The World Fantasy Award nominations are up. Here's the novel nominees:

• The Killing Moon, N.K. Jemisin (Orbit US; Orbit UK)
    • Some Kind of Fairy Tale, Graham Joyce (Gollancz; Doubleday)
    • The Drowning Girl, Caitlín R. Kiernan (Roc)
    • Crandolin, Anna Tambour (Chômu)
    • Alif the Unseen, G. Willow Wilson (Grove; Corvus)

The Lifetime Achievement is shared between Tanith Lee and Susan Cooper.

Arcadion
Mar 3, 2005

Hedrigall posted:

It's a bit weird to have a time travel anthology without any Poul Anderson story. Time Patrol is a classic of the genre.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

Aston posted:

David Gerrold's The Man Who Folded Himself is about as time-travel focussed as a story can be. Jack McDevitt's Time Travelers Never Die is very similar, but much more recent.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
There's always Heinlein's By His Bootstraps and/or All You Zombies.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Robert Silverberg's Up the Line is a pretty good time travel novel. He also did a few short stories and The Time Hoppers, but I haven't read that one yet.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

House Louse posted:

The World Fantasy Award nominations are up. Here's the novel nominees:

• The Killing Moon, N.K. Jemisin (Orbit US; Orbit UK)
    • Some Kind of Fairy Tale, Graham Joyce (Gollancz; Doubleday)
    • The Drowning Girl, Caitlín R. Kiernan (Roc)
    • Crandolin, Anna Tambour (Chômu)
    • Alif the Unseen, G. Willow Wilson (Grove; Corvus)

The Lifetime Achievement is shared between Tanith Lee and Susan Cooper.

Only one of those I've read is the Jemisin, but it was pretty good.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Oh in other news related to Jemisin, did y'all see that SFWA kicked out Vox Day/Theodore Beale this week?

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

fritz posted:

Oh in other news related to Jemisin, did y'all see that SFWA kicked out Vox Day/Theodore Beale this week?

Good.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

fritz posted:

Yes! I guess I will actually join now, even though I'm sure there's still a long way to go.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
What did he write anyway? I only know him as an rear end in a top hat blogger who occasionally tries to troll pz myers.

Venusian Weasel
Nov 18, 2011

andrew smash posted:

What did he write anyway? I only know him as an rear end in a top hat blogger who occasionally tries to troll pz myers.

I would assume it's The War in Heaven that got him membership in SWFA. Nice to see he got kicked out, though. I hope the organization keeps taking good steps forward to deal with some of the issues they've had of late.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

fritz posted:

That's pretty good. Though it is dumb that it took them that long to boot him out. He is an awful person with truly despicable opinions. Nice to see the hand wrangling about "we don't want to kick people for their personal politics" amounted to nothing though, considering that his "personal politics" were things like ranting that black people were uncivilized subhumans.

Srice fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Aug 16, 2013

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Wasn't he that shithead who always got into feuds with John Scalzi?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Yes. Even ran for SFFWA president against him, leading to that hilarious proposed plot to elect Beale instead of Scalzi because it would be easier to control a Christian fundamentalist than the hordes of EVIL FEMINISTS.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Hobnob posted:

David Gerrold's The Man Who Folded Himself is about as time-travel focussed as a story can be.
The Man Who Folded Himself is one of my favorite loving books, and something I encourage everybody even slightly interested in any aspect of time travel to read; it essentially covers everything so drat well.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

General Battuta posted:

Yes. Even ran for SFFWA president against him, leading to that hilarious proposed plot to elect Beale instead of Scalzi because it would be easier to control a Christian fundamentalist than the hordes of EVIL FEMINISTS.

Beale is also a raving pua, who makes other puas look sane in comparison. Even my staunch Catholic friend thinks he's a hateful twit. The only difference between his blog and Stormfront is Beale refrains from openly using the n-word so he can pretend he's taking the higher ground. Too bad the higher ground he picked is a mere tuft in the middle of a swamp. "Oh look, I'm only saying half-savage here, there's a difference see because ..." :fuckoff:

Stuporstar fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Aug 16, 2013

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Stuporstar posted:

Beale is also a raving pua, who makes other puas look sane in comparison. Even my staunch Catholic friend thinks he's a hateful twit. The only difference between his blog and Stormfront is Beale refrains from openly using the n-word so he can pretend he's taking the higher ground. Too bad the higher ground he picked is a mere tuft in the middle of a swamp. "Oh look, I'm only saying half-savage here, there's a difference see because ..." :fuckoff:

Actually, I think you can't even use racial slurs on Stormfront anymore so...:v:

Good riddance to bad rubbish.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

fritz posted:

Thanks for being the bearer of good news! Hopefully this'll also make things easier should someone else need throwing out.

E: Beale confirms his disgrace.

quote:

Well, so long as the consideration of the evidence was careful....

[Quotes the letter informing him he's expelled]

I shall attempt to find the wherewithal to soldier on, somehow. I can't honestly say it is the authorial distinction that I would have intentionally sought, but I'm rather proud to be the first SFWA member to be expelled since Stanislaw Lem in 1976.

If you'd like to see the evidence that was so carefully considered by the SFWA Board yourself, you can download the two relevant documents:

SFWA Board Report
Response to SFWA Board

And if you're looking for my immediate response, all I can really say is this: rabbits gonna rabbit.

The reference to Lem is pretty amusing; Lem had a special membership as a mark of his reputation (during the Cold War, natch), which was revoked because he wouldn't stop criticising other members' writing. The parallels are, um, so plain I shouldn't even have to point them out for you...

Safety Biscuits fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Aug 16, 2013

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

There's always Heinlein's By His Bootstraps and/or All You Zombies.

They're not time travel stories, they're weird sex stories. This is Heinlein, remember?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Can anyone recommend some SF writers who also write great non-S Fiction? I'm currently listening to an audio of "Welcome to the Monkey House" by Vonnegut, and I really enjoy things like "Who are we today." I also quite like Theodore Sturgeon shorts, which range from SF to fantasy to just odd little tales about real people.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Nevvy Z posted:

Can anyone recommend some SF writers who also write great non-S Fiction? I'm currently listening to an audio of "Welcome to the Monkey House" by Vonnegut, and I really enjoy things like "Who are we today." I also quite like Theodore Sturgeon shorts, which range from SF to fantasy to just odd little tales about real people.

Iain M. Banks had a distinguished career as a realistic lit author under the clever code name 'Iain Banks'. Any Banks books without the M are nominally literary rather than genre.

Have you tried magical realism?

Copernic
Sep 16, 2006

...A Champion, who by mettle of his glowing personal charm alone, saved the universe...

From Saladin Ahmed's twitter feed.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

They've been out for a while, I got to flip through one in early July. I guess this is not a very substantive post, except to suggest that Lynch has had a good while to draft!

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

General Battuta posted:

Iain M. Banks had a distinguished career as a realistic lit author under the clever code name 'Iain Banks'. Any Banks books without the M are nominally literary rather than genre.

There are a few writers who do things like that; Michael Marshall Smith dropped his last name to write thrillers. And thanks for reminding me that Jon Courtenay Grimwood's got a new mainstream novel out under the pen name "Johnanthan Grimwood" - I read a good review of it a while back.

Nevvy Z posted:

http://www.sf-encyclopedia.com/entry/mainstream_writers_of_sf, http://www.sf-encyclopedia.com/entry/fabulation, and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slipstream_%28genre%29 should be good places to start. Lots of more literary sf writers have dabbled in the mainstream (le Guin, Crowley) and plenty of literary writers contrariwise (Doris Lessing was the first Nobel laureate to have been a Worldcon Guest of Honour).

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Copernic posted:

From Saladin Ahmed's twitter feed.

Any advance reviews out? I think three solid entries is my threshold for starting a new series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Jedit posted:

They're not time travel stories, they're weird sex stories.

So's the Gerrold that people posted upthread.