Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inside Outside
Jul 31, 2005

I gave up on my Zoroastrian game and started a new game as Ghana at the Old Gods start date. It was really easy to immediately take Songhay and form Mali, but during that time the Umayyad have become unstoppable. They have everything directly north of in Africa, plus almost the entirety of Iberia and modern day France. Thankfully I've had a very good run of skilled chancellors to keep my relations with them high, but over sixty or seventy years I've only managed to take two provinces from a sultanate as the Umayyads swallowed them up. I keep waiting for their empire to fall apart, but have had zero problems through two successions and their current decadence in the high 80s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
The Umayyads are always bizarrely stable despite their massive decadence in my games. They're one of the reasons that West African games are absurdly hard.

Inside Outside
Jul 31, 2005

fool_of_sound posted:

The Umayyads are always bizarrely stable despite their massive decadence in my games. They're one of the reasons that West African games are absurdly hard.

Right after I posted that they fell into a massive civil war. I almost managed to siege barony before they had a new leader, who wasted no time in declaring war on me. And so ends my West African game.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

WilliamAnderson posted:

We're mainly sticking with what was scoped before, but we've included a couple of small things so far, such as No Hassle Vassles, CV's Fixes are now built in, etc. One thing we've been toying with was asking the Better Armies guy to join and make his an official optional mod. I've specifically been going into Shattered World and slowly working on updating it, since it hasn't been touched since before The Old Gods. For more stuff we're looking at, look here and feel free to submit issues as well. The closed issue list should also give you an idea as to what we've done so far. Some things have been changed to be more historical, Bavaria and Frisia have recently been added for game balance and a bit of flavour stuff, Iceland isn't de jure Norway until the proper time. Since the latest update (1.11) stopped boat stupidity, I believe we've decided to let reformed Norse still have raiding, because they're no longer unbeatable as they loot around.

Better Armies guy here, I've got some RL commitments to sort out right now, but I should be able to hook up with you guys and get an official patch together for Better Armies hopefully before too long.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Got a weird little bug in the CK2+ continued beta. The tooltip for Improved Keeps lists nothing:

No listed bonuses for any of the tech levels, either. Did I screw up something, or is something missing there?

chrimbus granger
Jul 5, 2004

by Lowtax
So I got this game gifted to me a while ago, and was having a lot of fun playing the Westeros mod because I'm a sperg for ASOIAF. This new patch broke the mod and I can't play it anymore. Is there anyway to get it playable or do I have to wait for the Westeros mod guys to make a new patch?

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

NihilCredo posted:

Uh, county conquest at-will is crazy overpowered? Basically whenever any of your neighbours gets weaker than you for any reason (say, because they just fought a war and are out of levies), zomg free province (and all the baronies in it)!!! You didn't notice that while playing vanilla TOG?

Though that only becomes apparent once you're a mid-sized fish who can snag up weakened petty lords with no trouble, so if you still have to form a jarldom those snags might not be as trivial. But again, in vanilla you should have noticed, I think.

A 5-year break is still utterly ridiculous. Cut it down to a year, maybe two, and you still slow expansion without completely gutting it and basically crippling pagans.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

NihilCredo, thanks for the response! That was exactly what I was looking for.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

HOW DID THE HOLY ROMAN EMPEROR LOSE

HOW

WHY

Broken Mind
Jan 27, 2009

Ofaloaf posted:

HOW

WHY

That looks like a game that really needs to be converted to EU4. What kind of government are these "humble hedge knights" anyway?

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Does reforming the slavic religion turn it orthodox in ck2+? Or is it just it's own thing and the chances of Russia going orthodox slim? Trying to decide on what my next playing goal should be since the patch.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Broken Mind posted:

That looks like a game that really needs to be converted to EU4. What kind of government are these "humble hedge knights" anyway?
Just had a go at it-- they convert over as an Administrative Republic. The Humblest Republic.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Ofaloaf posted:

HOW

WHY

The formation of the Humble Roman Empire.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Hahahahaha. Holy gently caress. That's better than the time the north central Mediterranean in my game was owned by the Company of the Hat.

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

Dauntasa posted:

The formation of the Humble Roman Empire.

Pay want you want for five great duchies! May more than the average (6.74 gold) and get the Kingdom of Bohemia as well!

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

When converting a game to EUIV does it take any factors into account other than borders, culture, and religion? Does the overall gold value of counties matter? I've read some interviews on it but they're not very clear.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Odobenidae posted:

When converting a game to EUIV does it take any factors into account other than borders, culture, and religion? Does the overall gold value of counties matter? I've read some interviews on it but they're not very clear.

I can confirm that more holdings in a county = more base tax when converted over. Type of holding and level of development doesn't matter though.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
So I'm playing a blind Roman Emperor who has worked his martial skill all the way up to 5. I'm constantly throwing him into battles and he comes out spotless. Skilled commanders going with him keep getting killed left and right, but this blind dude is tearing it up.

I also just moved by authority up to maximum to get all my goddamn vassals to quit fighting so I can change inheritance laws. Are there any other benefits to having maxed out authority?

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Dallan Invictus posted:

Reformed Norse can raid in the current CK2+ patch.

Also, even though the new CK2+ devs haven't taken a stab at the converter, it's probably worth giving a try - when I patched CK2+ from my tweaked copy of the final Wiz release to this one (though I left out the landed_titles changes and other things I knew would break my save) the converter worked on my Persia save without any apparent hitches.

The new CK2+ cultures (Sicilian Greek, Anglo-Norse, a few others) don't seem to convert properly. Otherwise it solidly brought over my old old save.

Lars Krimi
Jul 1, 2003

Leb posted:

I enjoyed CK2+ in the pre-TOG days, but for someone who's seen every event chain 100+ times now, well.... the problem with CK2+ arbitrarily slowing the game down is that all that downtime is just filled with... downtime... where you're impatiently waiting to resume your conquests.

I agree with this. I can see the need to slow down expansion, but cooldowns are arbitrary and boredom inducing. In addition, it's a really harsh requirement when pressing claims for a vassal that the vassal must already have a higher title than the claimed one, or he will become independent. It's a shame because I enjoy everything else in the mod.

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

My only complaint is that my Norse megaempire gets converted to mere shamanism. :arghfist::mad:

TehKeen fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Aug 16, 2013

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
Didn't see this posted yet, patch 1.111 is out:
code:
MAJOR
- Fixed the delayed event bloating of save files.
- Pre 1.11 save games will now load correctly without trait corruption
- Fixed CTD when a Portrait DLC did not have a beard for the culture
- Fixed CTD when immediately resigning after loaded save game with pending plots

INTERFACE
- Fixed a glitch after resign where the on-map shields would still be shown
- Fixed so you don't get a pop-up if the plot auto functions are used
- Disabled customization of dynasties without the DLC

GAMEPLAY
- Fixed a bug where vassal merchant republics could sometimes become independent on succession
- The Military Jesus and Speaking in Tongues modifiers are no longer instantly removed from characters
- Fixed an issue where you could suffer more than Max attrition
- Now possible to pick the Hellenic religion in the Ruler Designer again
- Can now correctly grant independence to Merchant republics
- Can now correctly transfer vassal Merchant republics
- Character beards and hair now don't immediately snap back when using the customization tool
- Fixed an issue with new Patricians sometimes getting game over incorrectly on succession

CONVERTER
- Fixed issues with exporting HRE with absolute crown authority. 
- Now young rulers get appropriate stats
- Now players should always be exported as a vassal if he is in CK2
- Fixed problem where muslim personal unions were not exported at all
- The Azores and Madeira can now be colonized
- Now localization files on Linux always get UTF-8 encoding
- Changed some file names in conversion table for nations
- Fixed so tengri can get higher tech groups
- Tweaked what is considered high-tech to increase chance of becomming western
- Now natives no longer should spawn in africa

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Leb posted:

I enjoyed CK2+ in the pre-TOG days, but for someone who's seen every event chain 100+ times now, well.... the problem with CK2+ arbitrarily slowing the game down is that all that downtime is just filled with... downtime... where you're impatiently waiting to resume your conquests.

Which is why I keep wishing that they'd do an entire DLC that adds nothing but flavor events for the various cultures and religions. I swear, if that courtier says anything about a suspicious looking cookie one goddamned more time...

It's not really the focus of the game, and my bias for empire-building games shows through in saying this, but I'd really like more depth in how you manage your holdings and your nation. It'd be a welcome change of pace, especially since the new auto-plot stuff is kinda showing how limited the plot system is in vanilla. Peacetime is basically me getting a few letters every month about how they're sorry about plotting, and you'd think a Republic would be more concerned about civil projects and poo poo.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

CK2+ nerfed prepared invasions all right.

No men and no button.

Edit: Another problem: I get infinite repetitions of the forgotten the dung_gatherer in the dungeon event effectively ending my game. Any suggestions for getting rid of it? saving and loading obviously.

genericnick fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Aug 16, 2013

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

quote:

- Disabled customization of dynasties without the DLC
I'm still on 1.103 for mod reasons, what does this mean exactly? Was there a bug on 1.11 where that part of the Customizer DLC was active for everyone?

Evil Queen Bee
Sep 7, 2011

Has anyone tried playing with CK2+ post this 1.111 patch? Paradox forums are blocked for me at work so I cannot check there. I am hoping this patch was minor enough to not break mod functionality since I have had a crap week at work and was looking forward to some relaxing play time tonight.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
Does anyone know how to manually change a provinces religion/culture? I am trying to clean up a savefile for importing into EU IV but after spending way too much time reading the savefile I can't seem to find where it is stored. Can I maybe create an event that automatically converts all provinces in the realm to a specific religion/culture?

Edit: Using event 900 and 55000 you can change a characters primary holding to that characters religion/culture, but how to change the rest of his provinces?

TjyvTompa fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Aug 16, 2013

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

I'll get you! Just you wait and see!

Arcturas posted:

I'm just getting off my feet in my first solid CK2 game (yay for King Haraldr Fairhair and his stupendously amazing son Halfdan), and I've got a few questions.

First, when it comes to retinues, which are the best? I've generally been avoiding the one with light infantry, and picking up a mix of heavy infantry, archers, and the cavalry one, but I'm not sure how important pikement/archers are to that, or if it's better to just stack all heavy infantry (or if it just doesn't matter at all and they're so good I should just take all of them).

Second, I've got an issue with one of my duchies. I'm Jarl of Ostandet and Sjaelland, which is only 6 counties to hold in my desmene. I'd like to get that up to 8 or 9, but I don't know if there's a penalty for having counties without controlling the corresponding duchy.

I've also randomly picked up the Jarldom of Jylland and ownership of Holstein and Hamborg, probably because I stole it from the old King of Denmark, and his heir is currently holding a single county in Wales... Which means I have three options I'd like to do, but don't know if any work. 1) Can I somehow pull those two counties out of the Petty Kingdom of Holstein and put them in the Duchy of Sjaelland? (Holstein's held by that lone jerk off in Wales) 2) Is it worth picking someone random to be the new count of Holstein/Hamborg and/or Duke of Jylland? 3) Is there an easy way to strip the Dukedom of Holstein off that random jerk off in the wilderness?

Third, how do you pick good counties to claim in your desmene, and how do you prioritize improving them with buildings? I've been building up a lot of cash from raiding, and primarily funneling it into buildings and retinues (there don't seem to be many other cash sinks, besides bribing people, and I don't need to do much bribing because my diplo is high and I have a huge army). Are particular buildings better than others? I'm also finally getting to the amount of cash where I can contemplate building new holdings in some of my counties. Is that at all worth it?

EDIT:
Fourth, is it worth figuring out how to take the titles of holdings within my counties? Or should I just stick to the county title?

Regarding retinues:
1. Heavy Cavalry and Horse Archers trump nearly everything else. If you are greek you get the option of a combined HC and HA unit. Buy them exclusively.
2. If the above does not apply: Your cultural unit is typically pretty good. The scottish for example get a pretty good pikeman if I recall correctly.
3. When in doubt, even it out. If rule number 1 doesn't apply, get a combination of Heavy Infantry, Archers, Heavy and Light Cavalry. If your cultural unit is pikemen or light infantry, switch out Heavy for your cultural unit.

Basically there are 3 phases of combat:
Skirmish: Uses the skirmish attack and the defense values of units involved. Horse Archers, archers, light cavalry, and light infantry are generally good (in descending order I believe) for this phase. However high defense values can sometimes make this phase moot. (Heavy infantry and heavy cavalry have the highest non-cultural defense values)
Melee: Uses the melee attack and the defense values of units involved. Heavy Cavalry, Heavy Infantry, Pikemen, light cavalry and light infantry are good (descending order again). Archers generally really suck during this phase.
Pursue: If the enemy flees, your armies may start pursuing. At this point defense values drop to 0 so you get to wipe out armies during this phase. The best units are Light Cavalry, Heavy Cavalry, Horse Archers, and then either archers or light infantry. I'm not certain if archers apply to this phase, I'll check later and edit this post.

So as you can see, light infantry tends to be ok but weak at everything. You want archers in the first phase. Heavy Infantry will be able to survive most skirmish phases and then do the heavy work in the melee phase. But you also really want some good pursuers so cavalry to mop up in the pursuit phase. For these three reasons, the Horse Archers and Cavalry of the greeks are amazing. Horse Archers are great in the skirmish phase while heavy cavalry will decimate in the melee. Then BOTH will gently caress up your enemy in the pursuit phase. I've had HC and HA only armies that could take out armies 3 times their size.

The only drawback of the HC/HA armies is they suck at sieging. But that is easily fixed by an an army of archers and light infantry which are cheap. (Or just use your vassals men).

The penalty for owning a county that someone else owns the duchy for is the owner of the duchy title doesn't like you as much. That's all.

As for the duchy/county relationship questions: I *think* dejure drift affects counties but I'm not sure. Basically what you would have to do is destroy the duchy title and hold the counties for 100 years while holding a duchy title. The counties would then drift to under your primary duchy title. Generally speaking though, this really isn't worth the effort.

As for buildings and counties in your desme. Generally you want to find and hold two duchies that are on a coast. This is because you want to be able to embark your armies onto ships quickly. Improve your keeps/cities/temples with cash generating buildings first, then other improvements as necessary. Building new keeps, cities, or temples should be done when you are able to drop 800 gold all at once. Which one you build is up to you. If you need bigger and BETTER armies build keeps (aka you need more heavy infantry and heavy cavalry.) If you need more money build cities. The healthy medium (and not at all a bad choice) is temples which can get you a healthy mix of both.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
I happened to look up from my middle east game and noticed that Scandinavia had formed, and the emperor had control of 3 holy sites, something like 60% moral authority, and about 800 piety. Are pagan NPCs able to reform their faiths if they can qualify for it? If they aren't, I'll probably just reload into said emperor in order to get him to reform the faith, just to make the game a bit more interesting.

Edit:
Thanks, wonder what he's waiting on then.
VV

fool of sound fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Aug 16, 2013

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

fool_of_sound posted:

I happened to look up from my middle east game and noticed that Scandinavia had formed, and the emperor had control of 3 holy sites, something like 60% moral authority, and about 800 piety. Are pagan NPCs able to reform their faiths if they can qualify for it? If they aren't, I'll probably just reload into said emperor in order to get him to reform the faith, just to make the game a bit more interesting.

Yeah, they absolutely can. Seen it happen plenty of times with Tengri.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Alikchi posted:

The new CK2+ cultures (Sicilian Greek, Anglo-Norse, a few others) don't seem to convert properly. Otherwise it solidly brought over my old old save.
Adding the CK2+ cultures in is just a matter of slapping in entires like
code:
gallawa;gallawa;1;Gaelic-Norse
into culture_table.csv of the EU4 converter, although I don't know how that file knows how to put what custom defined culture into which culture group. Is it even possible for the converter to add in custom culture groups, like the Crusader cultures?

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
Bought CK2, got CK2+.

Been playing as Dublin for a couple games, and I am wondering - when I improve my Capital, I can build a Keep III and then I can then start building ... a Keep I. Once built the 'extra copies' show up blue in my improvement list.

This holds for most Castle improvements - sorry but I can't re-read hundreds of pages for what is probably an intended design. Should I just ignore the duplicates or am I supposed to build them?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Rust Martialis posted:

Bought CK2, got CK2+.

Been playing as Dublin for a couple games, and I am wondering - when I improve my Capital, I can build a Keep III and then I can then start building ... a Keep I. Once built the 'extra copies' show up blue in my improvement list.

This holds for most Castle improvements - sorry but I can't re-read hundreds of pages for what is probably an intended design. Should I just ignore the duplicates or am I supposed to build them?

This isn't supposed to happen. There's just been an update to CK, probably the guys who maintain CK2+ haven't updated it to be compatible with the new patch yet.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

marktheando posted:

This isn't supposed to happen. There's just been an update to CK, probably the guys who maintain CK2+ haven't updated it to be compatible with the new patch yet.

So I'll just ignore them. They DO seem to add troops if I build them though. Or I'm dumb.

Rust Martialis fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Aug 18, 2013

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

How exactly does the converter convert provinces base tax? I heard it was something like the number of holdings (ignoring improvements) but it doesn't seem to match up. I had a bunch of counties with 4-5 holdings all fully developed which converted into some base 2-3 provinces while some of my recent german conquests which had 4-6 slots but only had 2-3 actual developed holdings are now base 4-6 tax provinces in EU4.

Or is it taking a base eu4 tax base then adding a small bonus/penalty based on the number of holdings? So even though in CK2 a region is highly developed, eu4 decided to say that area is poor so gently caress you?

Does anyone have a good link to something that explains exactly how the converter works because the spergin' min-maxer in me just has to know I'm optimizing my ck2 game for future eu4 use?

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince
So, my game experiences the wacky patch stuff and I haven't downloaded 1.111. I'm not sure I want to, since I've played for a few years and some concubine spawn-turned-syphilitics have died and new characters have been born.

If I continue this game, everything should eventually become normal, right? Byzantine emperor became blind, but when he dies and new characters are born, they won't be blind? Or is the order of traits permanently ruined?

I want to continue this game. It's for the conversion.

e: Eh, converter's patched too? Will my game even survive if I patch it again? I started it two patches ago.

Rurik fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Aug 16, 2013

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che

Rurik posted:

So, my game experiences the wacky patch stuff and I haven't downloaded 1.111. I'm not sure I want to, since I've played for a few years and some concubine spawn-turned-syphilitics have died and new characters have been born.

If I continue this game, everything should eventually become normal, right? Byzantine emperor became blind, but when he dies and new characters are born, they won't be blind? Or is the order of traits permanently ruined?

I want to continue this game. It's for the conversion.

e: Eh, converter's patched too? Will my game even survive if I patch it again? I started it two patches ago.

The games with 1.10 weren't permanently ruined. I did the quick and dirty traits tweak and everyone got the traits shifted back properly. Haven't tried with 1.111 yet but if it works the same way it should be fine.

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince

jpmeyer posted:

The games with 1.10 weren't permanently ruined. I did the quick and dirty traits tweak and everyone got the traits shifted back properly. Haven't tried with 1.111 yet but if it works the same way it should be fine.

Let's say I saved in 945 before patching to 1.10. Then I played to 947 with the ruined game. If I patch it now, can I play from 947 or do I need to load the 945 save?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Is there some way that I can effectively commit suicide so I can get to my heir faster?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Well... this is interesting. For a second I thought I had successful Zoroastirans. I wonder how they'll do.

Speaking of - how does porting Zoroastrians in EU4 go? Do they get their own symbol and stuff? Also I assume I'll have to hope the Jews get off the map for porting reasons.

• Locked thread