Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

Tardcore posted:

I let my players make their own OW regiment, they went with high quality swords, shields, and light carapace armor. :allears:

When we made ours one of the players who has never heard of Gaunt's Ghosts and doesn't read any 40k novels made a camoline cloak wearing light infantry recon unit with signature mono-knives

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

Our Rogue Trader group is amazing at times. We've now got an ork warboss, Kaptin John Silvork, as an unofficial member of the crew, a demon tree we use to contact one of our trading partners which is probably a Slaanesh demon prince, 50 mutant ex-arbites as part of the ship's security detail (I was trying to get corrupt (ie. takes bribes and such) ex-arbites, but the prison manager thought I meant corrupted as in mutated ex-arbites) and ork kommandos hiding in some of the ship's vaults that we occasionally employ to do dirty work. Such as trying to kill our astropath, but they kinda sorta misinterpret what was asked of them and instead they painted the astropath purple. Somehow, we have not yet run into Inquisition who'd probably want to ask some pointed questions.

Then again we'd probably murder them and frame one of our enemies for that because that's how our group rolls. Although there is at least an Ecclesiarchy purge coming to our ship one of these days, thanks to our pious Astropath telling them that we've been mixing up with some really, really bad stuff. At least he didn't directly mention that we were probably doing deals with a demon, though to be fair we've not seen any direct proof of the fact that it's a demon. Mostly because we try really hard not to ask any questions that would make our lives more difficult regarding the demon. When the astropath found out what we'd been doing, he was... less than happy. He's the only pious character in our group, and probably a character that's going to either die or disappear soon - his player agrees that the character doesn't really fit in to the group with everyone else doing super shady stuff and he's already planning to create another character. Some really good moments were born out of that though, such as when my Kroot and our RT tried to hide the demon tree and the whole deal with the demon-thing from him by such genius manouvers such as putting a paper on the door to the vault holding the tree that read "Malfunction. No Entry".

We are currently in the process of organizing a tour for a girl rock band that takes inspiration from something less than holy. If they aren't actual heretics yet, by the end of the tour they are pretty much certainly swimming in corruption. Especially since we are intending to do a music video for them that's gonna involve the demon tree. :allears:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Non-heavy Bolters now have pen 2, the same as a Hand Cannon and a Flamer. A plasma pistol has pen 12, a plasma gun has pen 15. Melta weapons have pen 12.

It seems a little all over the place.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

goatface posted:

Non-heavy Bolters now have pen 2, the same as a Hand Cannon and a Flamer. A plasma pistol has pen 12, a plasma gun has pen 15. Melta weapons have pen 12.

I'm not sure on the Bolter penetration, but Melta and Plasma going through everything is fine with me. Also the price cut for weapon talents is welcome - I had a minor revolt in my gaming group during character creation, and ended up cutting the cost of Las, Solid, Low-tech and Flamer to 200.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
There's just a huge gap between the low and high pen weapons. They've buffed melee penetration, a power sword now has pen 8 and a chainsword now has pen equal to your strength bonus, which is quite nice in my opinion. It makes a chainsword a formidable weapon that will chew straight through flak armour as long as you have a decent strength bonus.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

Kenlon posted:

I'm not sure on the Bolter penetration, but Melta and Plasma going through everything is fine with me. Also the price cut for weapon talents is welcome - I had a minor revolt in my gaming group during character creation, and ended up cutting the cost of Las, Solid, Low-tech and Flamer to 200.

Plasma seems too high now and bolters are too low. Also plasmas are the righteous fury generator with 3d10 to roll, that could do with being something like 2d10+2.

The chainsword pen=SB and the sniper rifle pen=PB are both nice tweaks. I might steal them for my RT game outright.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

So I'm pretty sure FFG generates weapon stat numbers by throwing darts

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Well it can't be worse then DH1's two handed throwing spear:v:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Mono now makes weapons Vengeful(9), which makes them RF on a 9+.

A knife has a RoF of Agi-2, and a damage of 1d5+Agi. If your agility is 50, I think that means (if you hit every time) you could stab someone 12 times in a round, doing an average of ~8 damage per hit. That seems... powerful?

edit - I might be misremembering something, I'm away from my copy of the beta and only have the update to work with.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Some of the weapon choices seem crazy, but I have to admire FFG's willingness to work with it. I mean I haven't done a direct comparison but it looks like they have made a ton of changes to stuff with that update, and a willingness to do that is a pretty good sign. Of course, ultimately we'd like it all to move in a place that makes sense overall.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Ashcans posted:

Some of the weapon choices seem crazy, but I have to admire FFG's willingness to work with it. I mean I haven't done a direct comparison but it looks like they have made a ton of changes to stuff with that update, and a willingness to do that is a pretty good sign. Of course, ultimately we'd like it all to move in a place that makes sense overall.

Ashcans, first you need to hang out on IRC. Second this is far and away just number changes and moving stuff around, no core mechanics have changed.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Still, it's weapons number changes that actually directly addressed a lot of the criticisms the original weapons numbers got. I wish I had a slot free to start actual, direct playtesting on this but the group I'd use is busy finishing a WHFRP game for a few more weeks. It's frustrating to see a new system and not have the time to run a playtest myself.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

kingcom posted:

Ashcans, first you need to hang out on IRC. Second this is far and away just number changes and moving stuff around, no core mechanics have changed.

I do hang out in IRC! Unless you mean right now, in which case, uh, I'll get on I guess?

And I know it's just number fiddling, so if a problem is a core mechanic this doesn't help. Having said that, the Beta has only been going for what, two weeks? I think releasing an update that quickly, even just numbers, is a decent sign that they're actually paying some attention. I have seen betas where there is no real update and then the final release is basically the same thing with better formatting and a few clarified words. The fact they're responding is good.

I don't expect that they are going to back off many core mechanic changes, especially ones that have already been tested - so I assume that Influence is in for the long haul, because they've basically already tested this through the other games and decided that they want it. But we might see changes to the wound system, for instance. I'm just glad they seem to be paying some attention.

Then again, my standard here is GW, who never run betas and have issued errata saying 'I dunno, you guys should roll a dice for that, haha'

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Ashcans posted:

I do hang out in IRC! Unless you mean right now, in which case, uh, I'll get on I guess?

And I know it's just number fiddling, so if a problem is a core mechanic this doesn't help. Having said that, the Beta has only been going for what, two weeks? I think releasing an update that quickly, even just numbers, is a decent sign that they're actually paying some attention. I have seen betas where there is no real update and then the final release is basically the same thing with better formatting and a few clarified words. The fact they're responding is good.

I don't expect that they are going to back off many core mechanic changes, especially ones that have already been tested - so I assume that Influence is in for the long haul, because they've basically already tested this through the other games and decided that they want it. But we might see changes to the wound system, for instance. I'm just glad they seem to be paying some attention.

FFG is often pretty good with fiddling with numbers, they did a ton of that with the Only War beta. I mean honestly the requisition/influence system is a pretty minor issue even for someone like me who really dislikes it. The overall fundamental problem is that I have a game which does what I like with problems and Dark Heresy 2e goes for something radically different (I think, they still have not actually shown you what you should be doing, make a proper scenario to show of your game you crazy people). Every problem I think I'm finding stems from that, a huge set of new and poorly explained/thought out subsystems, no backwards compatibility, doesn't actually fix a vast majority of the issues I had with Dark Heresy in the first place. So I need to look at it like its a different system right? I did that and its just such a huge hassle as a GM to run, tables, again those subsystems (Influence, Subtlety, how xp is even supposed to work currently), the wound system is zero fun and very tough to get a combat to not swing from pointless to overwhelming (an issue in Dark Heresy 1 that again, is not fixed), uninteresting psyker stuff, action points (great idea for a grid-based wargame type combat but really goddamn messy when the game is telling you shove huge amounts of NPCs at mid-level players and needing to track that). Seriously try tracking all this stuff when you play ToTM, its a nightmare. We ended up putting together custom sheets to do the tracking together. Etc etc essentially. Its me, I am the grognard.

Ashcans posted:

Then again, my standard here is GW, who never run betas and have issued errata saying 'I dunno, you guys should roll a dice for that, haha'

:allears:

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Ashcans posted:

It's so true :smith:

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Does FFG ever list podcasts of games run specifically by "experts" in the system/the rules writer. I can think of a few concepts I'd like to see employed by the creators in a game session.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Jack B Nimble posted:

Does FFG ever list podcasts of games run specifically by "experts" in the system/the rules writer. I can think of a few concepts I'd like to see employed by the creators in a game session.

They do not. I personally think the best way to show how systems should work is to provide a clear example of how it is used in some kind of 'journey' for the players that comes with the rules. An 'adventure' if you will, maybe place it at the end of the book for ease of identification to separate from the rest of the book? Hire me FFG. I have the best ideas.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
If you want to try out the new rules, why not play a game?

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Only War: No Surrender - it's an adventure.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
I just finished a session of Only War and I feel I need to share this piece of golden dialogue before I forget it. This was banter between two players, but I ruled it was In Character.

"Maybe we'll run into some rebels or something?"
"What rebels?"
"You know, the ones were here to kill in addition to orks."

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Any suggestions on battle mats? I've been using narrative but I'm thinking of switching over, since I can use it for other games as well. I like hex maps more than grids incase that helps with any suggestions.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

KomradeX posted:

Any suggestions on battle mats? I've been using narrative but I'm thinking of switching over, since I can use it for other games as well. I like hex maps more than grids incase that helps with any suggestions.

I don't have advice for battlemats per say but if your going to use one only focus on something that's representing roughly 50x50 max (30x30 is better). So a square grid of 30 by 30 would fit your needs as the 'focus' of the fight. Square = 1 meter or maybe 2 if you need the space. Have everything else (like a 250m range sniper rifle) off map and only use it when you need to do close up brawl stuff. You should probably use miniatures and a tape measure honestly.

kingcom fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Aug 15, 2013

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

If I'm going to start buying the miniatures and using a tape measurer, I might as well play the wargame.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

KomradeX posted:

If I'm going to start buying the miniatures and using a tape measurer, I might as well play the wargame.

Fair enough, its just very tough to get a grid/battlemap going when you need to track hugely various increments of movement.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

KomradeX posted:

There's a pretty humongous cost difference between those two actually. You don't even need to use actual minis just use markers of some sort.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

kingcom posted:

Fair enough, its just very tough to get a grid/battlemap going when you need to track hugely various increments of movement.

That is true, though it would be useful to just sketch out relative positions and a bit easier than doing it on the notebook paper like I've been doing for most of out sessions. And well useful for some of my other RPGs, I've also been running a Savage Worlds Deadlands game, and I'm going through the Edge of Empire corebook right now.

S.J. posted:

There's a pretty humongous cost difference between those two actually. You don't even need to use actual minis just use markers of some sort.

Well I was being a bit hyperbolic, though a friend of mine does paint 40k minis and he has offered to use them for the game.

MisterMarmite
Feb 4, 2013

KomradeX posted:

Having come to the RPGs from 40k, the price difference for using miniatures is huge, as you can get so much mileage from a few generic looking guys. I now only buy models for roleplaying, where I can justify the price.
To those of a similar, less theatre-of-the-mind bent, I highly advocate buying a double sided whiteboard, as large as your table can take. It makes recording wounds, cover degradation, initiative etc much simpler, while still letting you measure distances and strategise in concrete terms.
We've been looking at doing a less literal campaign, but one of the strengths (besides its breadth/history of content) to a 40k themed RPG is the minis, converting and painting my new PC pushes the same buttons as army building did, at a fraction of the cost.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Using a grid for OW has made our combat encounters baller as hell, and we just mark it with dry erase. You have to switch how many meters the squares represent a lot and just forget about it in truly enormous areas, but it's great for urban fighting or dense wilderness. It makes stuff like weapon range and Sprint way more valuable because they almost inevitably lose some relevance when you're just ballparking distances. I strongly recommend it to anyone who isn't already using one, and this is coming from a guy who had never before wanted a mat cluttering up the table.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Pharmaskittle posted:

Using a grid for OW has made our combat encounters baller as hell, and we just mark it with dry erase. You have to switch how many meters the squares represent a lot and just forget about it in truly enormous areas, but it's great for urban fighting or dense wilderness. It makes stuff like weapon range and Sprint way more valuable because they almost inevitably lose some relevance when you're just ballparking distances. I strongly recommend it to anyone who isn't already using one, and this is coming from a guy who had never before wanted a mat cluttering up the table.

I tried using a map for running Dark Heresy games and it became one of the most painful things I've messed with. Everything bogged down incredibly badly constantly trying to mix things up. I think your enjoyment of using a grid wildly depends on your group.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

I have Paizo mat that's a grid on one side and a hexgrid on the other. It works really well.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I enjoy using the maps but be warned you may find you were being very generous with player movement ranges. If a player is melee focused he may suddenly find it takes 3 straight turns of movement to engage in battle if he hasn't been designed to cover a lot of ground. I still recommend it any time you feel the intricacy of the terrain could add a layer to the game.

EDIT- I mean maybe my group is an anomaly but I can recall surprise when we realized that a gunfight of "merely" 50 meters away was a large bit of a ground for a slow man with a sword to cover. Before we had the map the GMs would just handwave it as "you can get there in like, I dunno, 2 turns (seems fair..)" and then if the player would argue he was super fast he could get there in 1. It kept everyone happy but all in all I'm happy we realized just how BIG the distances in 40k RPGs can be to, say, your average DnD game.

SUPER DISORGANIZED DOUBLE EDIT-Also some players will like the map and some wont. It helps the group as a whole accept the map if the disinterested players take a lot of tips from the interested players. Not everyone played and loved Xcom or FF Tactics and players that don't want mess with the map appreciate it when another player boils the map down to two or three choices each turn.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Aug 16, 2013

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Jack B Nimble posted:

I enjoy using the maps but be warned you may find you were being very generous with player movement ranges. If a player is melee focused he may suddenly find it takes 3 straight turns of movement to engage in battle if he hasn't been designed to cover a lot of ground. I still recommend it any time you feel the intricacy of the terrain could add a layer to the game.

EDIT- I mean maybe my group is an anomaly but I can recall surprise when we realized that a gunfight of "merely" 50 meters away was a large bit of a ground for a slow man with a sword to cover. Before we had the map the GMs would just handwave it as "you can get there in like, I dunno, 2 turns (seems fair..)" and then if the player would argue he was super fast he could get there in 1. It kept everyone happy but all in all I'm happy we realized just how BIG the distances in 40k RPGs can be to, say, your average DnD game.

SUPER DISORGANIZED DOUBLE EDIT-Also some players will like the map and some wont. It helps the group as a whole accept the map if the disinterested players take a lot of tips from the interested players. Not everyone played and loved Xcom or FF Tactics and players that don't want mess with the map appreciate it when another player boils the map down to two or three choices each turn.

Remind them that 50m is half a football field. Ask them how long it would take them to run it. The fastest humans alive run the 100m in 10 seconds. Which would be about 2 rounds. Your average IG/Acolyte would be about 2 turns flat out/double moving to go 50m if they are really fast.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

Remind them that 50m is half a football field. Ask them how long it would take them to run it. The fastest humans alive run the 100m in 10 seconds. Which would be about 2 rounds. Your average IG/Acolyte would be about 2 turns flat out/double moving to go 50m if they are really fast.

Also keep in mind those fastest humans aren't wearing armour and carrying guns.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

MaliciousOnion posted:

Also keep in mind those fastest humans aren't wearing armour and carrying guns.

Equally though, modern athletes aren't gene-gineered, prosthetically augmented, or on god knows how many different types of drugs (at least not the obvious ones).

A fresh OW group or low level DH team might be a lot slower than an olympic athlete, but a high level team, a Rogue Trader command crew, or a bunch of Black Crusade acolytes? They might well be able to run a pro sprinter a close race, if not blow right past them.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Unless you're Mechanicus or Astartes, or otherwise modified, you're still 'just' a human, and if I was GMing no amount of selling eldar guns to backwater hicks is going to make you run as fast as a person who has spent their whole life training to run fast.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

Unless you're Mechanicus or Astartes, or otherwise modified, you're still 'just' a human, and if I was GMing no amount of selling eldar guns to backwater hicks is going to make you run as fast as a person who has spent their whole life training to run fast.

It's like you ignored all the reasons given why the characters aren't 'just' [20th-century] humans.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

JerryLee posted:

It's like you ignored all the reasons given why the characters aren't 'just' [20th-century] humans.

Well, yeah. Those are totally valid reasons. I'm just saying that if whoever the PC in question is isn't one of those things, he's not going to be afforded the advantages of them.

My taste is a bit soured because the first game of Rogue Trader I ever played devolved into everyone trying to tell the GM they could do anything because the campaign had gone on for a while and eventually he just stopped trying to make up interesting poo poo because everyone wanted to be Handsomeman Strongchin and insisted that they get bonuses to rolls they didn't deserve and could punch a Chaos Marine to death and all this dumb poo poo. Meanwhile I ended up gimped because he was trying to make encounters to cater to their dumb unrealistic character expectations while I was the only person who still even gave a poo poo what their character sheet said.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

Well, yeah. Those are totally valid reasons. I'm just saying that if whoever the PC in question is isn't one of those things, he's not going to be afforded the advantages of them.

My taste is a bit soured because the first game of Rogue Trader I ever played devolved into everyone trying to tell the GM they could do anything because the campaign had gone on for a while and eventually he just stopped trying to make up interesting poo poo because everyone wanted to be Handsomeman Strongchin and insisted that they get bonuses to rolls they didn't deserve and could punch a Chaos Marine to death and all this dumb poo poo. Meanwhile I ended up gimped because he was trying to make encounters to cater to their dumb unrealistic character expectations while I was the only person who still even gave a poo poo what their character sheet said.

On the other hand, if they have an Agility bonus of 5 or higher and the Sprint talent, they can clear 50m in one turn no problem. Running fast is one thing 40k RPG characters can do really, really well if you build for it.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Well, yeah, "people who have no way of sprinting 50 meters in 10 seconds cannot sprint 50 meters in 10 seconds" is true; it's a tautology.

The point has always been that ways to sprint 50 meters in 10 seconds, without training your entire life and/or being some sort of track and field savant, are reasonably common in the setting, at least among the demographic of player characters.

And as mentioned above maybe your character just is Usainor Boltenhorn or something. That's the point, you get to decide what your character can do (within the confines of the character creation system).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

apostateCourier posted:

On the other hand, if they have an Agility bonus of 5 or higher and the Sprint talent, they can clear 50m in one turn no problem. Running fast is one thing 40k RPG characters can do really, really well if you build for it.
They don't really need to build for it, just putting 200xp into Sprint is usually enough unless you're at vehicle gun levels of engagement range because infantry firefights get boring at 60+ meters when all shotguns and Pistols are at Extreme range, flamers are completely useless and even the swolest of marines or explorators can't hurl grenades that far.