Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zarathud
Feb 24, 2013

Hail Eris!
All Hail DISCORDIA!
I am inept with Inkscape, but I have been using Word for ages, so I converted Fenarisk's .SVG template over to a .DOCX (2007) format. The fonts should be embedded.

For those interested, you can download a copy at this link:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B3jBKG-w4xhFSWpRb042a1RZaTg/edit?usp=sharing

Feedback welcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

zarathud posted:

I am inept with Inkscape, but I have been using Word for ages, so I converted Fenarisk's .SVG template over to a .DOCX (2007) format. The fonts should be embedded.

Feedback welcome.

The font on the second page headers doesn't appear to be the right one when I open it in Word 2010, and those page 2 headers are slightly lighter grey than the p1 headers. Otherwise, wow, that makes laying out character sheets a lot easier.

zarathud
Feb 24, 2013

Hail Eris!
All Hail DISCORDIA!

Lemon Curdistan posted:

The font on the second page headers doesn't appear to be the right one when I open it in Word 2010, and those page 2 headers are slightly lighter grey than the p1 headers. Otherwise, wow, that makes laying out character sheets a lot easier.

I made an update this morning. The 2nd page fonts should be fixed and the headers should all be the same color.

When I get back from vacation (next week), I plan to update it to allow for some of the sections with headers to be resized, e.g. Alignment vs. Race vs. Bonds and Gear vs. Advanced Moves. Also, I think I can also get it to allow you to swap out Alignment and Race with Drives and Background.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

zarathud posted:

Feedback welcome.

Wow with the fix that is awesome!

Elmo Oxygen
Jun 11, 2007

Kazuo Misaki Superfan #3

Don't make me lift my knee, young man.
One of my player characters died and is considering rolling a Mage, which has always been a fun class at the table.

One thing I'm considering is adding a pseudo-vancian resource management move along these lines:

quote:

When you rest and commit spells to memory, roll INT 3 times for each category of Offense, Defense and Utility.
On a 6, assign one, 7-9 assign two, 10+ assign three.

Each time you Cast a Spell, mark off a usage of the appropriate category. If you have no uses left, you may not Cast from that category until you rest again.

The idea is to keep the flexibility of the Mage's Cast A Spell, but also add a little bit of resource management and hopefully keep the player from going to the same well too often. Burning additional spell uses can even be a 7-9 result for Cast a Spell.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
I always think that Vancian magic would be a hell of a lot more fun if anyone could memorize a spell but only Mages/Wizards could just use magic.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Elmo Oxygen posted:

One of my player characters died and is considering rolling a Mage, which has always been a fun class at the table.

One thing I'm considering is adding a pseudo-vancian resource management move along these lines:

The idea is to keep the flexibility of the Mage's Cast A Spell, but also add a little bit of resource management and hopefully keep the player from going to the same well too often. Burning additional spell uses can even be a 7-9 result for Cast a Spell.

I mean wasn't the whole point behind the Mage that it doesn't use Vancian Magic? And if the player rolls really poorly they have a total of three spells to use. That's a lot of their utility stripped out.

Elmo Oxygen
Jun 11, 2007

Kazuo Misaki Superfan #3

djw175 posted:

I mean wasn't the whole point behind the Mage that it doesn't use Vancian Magic?

I see the biggest issue with Vancian casting is having to know in advance what to prepare, not necessarily the resource management.

The amount of spells per rest might be too stingy, I'll keep an eye on it.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Elmo Oxygen posted:

I see the biggest issue with Vancian casting is having to know in advance what to prepare, not necessarily the resource management.

The amount of spells per rest might be too stingy, I'll keep an eye on it.

So has nobody made a playbook that uses a mana-point type casting system?

Elmo Oxygen
Jun 11, 2007

Kazuo Misaki Superfan #3

Bucnasti posted:

I mean they might have, I just like the Mage.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Bucnasti posted:

Not that I know of, no - which is weird, because when ability scores are brought up (which was fairly often closer to release) Sage and Adam always mentioned that one of the potential uses for the scores was having Wisdom or Intelligence = mana.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
See, you now have me wondering about spellcasters who literally spend points of their stat to cast. It would be... interesting.

I've not written a playbook before, this makes me wonder.

Elmo Oxygen
Jun 11, 2007

Kazuo Misaki Superfan #3

Man I know someone at my table would jump at the opportunity to play a wizard that gets dumber every time he casts a spell.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Ok this is a :siren: Dungeon World emergency!

Apparently I'm running a goon game at Gencon. If you want in, see the Gencon thread (friday at 9pm). What playbooks should I print? No more than like 10. We have new players so no crazy-complicated classes.

So far I'm thinking:
fighter/rogue/ranger/druid/paladin from core. Skipping bard/cleric/wizard.
Non-core: mage/psion/barbarian. What else? Anything I should really bring?

This is really last minute and I'm packing and stressing out.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
The Barbarian is a bit finicky, I would go with something like The Gladiator instead for that furious fast-paced melee role.

I also really like The Assassin, the Spellslinger and the Dashing Hero (if you have access to that one). I don't think any DW class is too advanced for new players, but ones like The Artificer make character creation slightly more complicated (but also more fun).

A lot of people seem to like The Slayer too, just sayin'.

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

Out of curiosity, why are you skipping the Bard?

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Never had much luck with it in play really, Arcane Art is the culprit. Skipping the cleric/wizard because Vancian, replacing with mage/medic.

Ok I'll bring the Slayer, Artificer, and the Medic too which I forgot about. Thanks!

Good thing about DW is I can throw it together like this last-minute and still be confident it will go just fine.

ritorix fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Aug 14, 2013

Elmo Oxygen
Jun 11, 2007

Kazuo Misaki Superfan #3

I fully expect a trip report.

Handgun Phonics
Jan 7, 2012

ritorix posted:

Never had much luck with it in play really, Arcane Art is the culprit. Skipping the cleric/wizard because Vancian, replacing with mage/medic.

Ok I'll bring the Slayer, Artificer, and the Medic too which I forgot about. Thanks!

Good thing about DW is I can throw it together like this last-minute and still be confident it will go just fine.

There's the Priest as a closer replacement for Cleric, too. I'm a bit more personally fond of it since it has buffing, too.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
You should totally take my Assassin because it owns.

(Realtalk: unless you want to run an urban campaign, probably don't take my Assassin. I would also not recommend the Shaman, because coming up with Honoured Ancestors on the spot can be hard in a con environment.)

zarathud
Feb 24, 2013

Hail Eris!
All Hail DISCORDIA!

zarathud posted:

I made an update this morning. The 2nd page fonts should be fixed and the headers should all be the same color.

When I get back from vacation (next week), I plan to update it to allow for some of the sections with headers to be resized, e.g. Alignment vs. Race vs. Bonds and Gear vs. Advanced Moves. Also, I think I can also get it to allow you to swap out Alignment and Race with Drives and Background.

I have now made it so some of the sections (Alignment, Race, Bonds, Gear, Advanced Moves) can be resized via movement of the headers. Also, you can update the titles of the Alignment/Drive and Race/Background headers. If you are having issues, it may be helpful to display all non-printing characters and turn on text boundaries.

RSIxidor
Jun 19, 2012

Folks who can't handle a self-reference paradox are real suckers.

zarathud posted:

I have now made it so some of the sections (Alignment, Race, Bonds, Gear, Advanced Moves) can be resized via movement of the headers. Also, you can update the titles of the Alignment/Drive and Race/Background headers. If you are having issues, it may be helpful to display all non-printing characters and turn on text boundaries.

Very nice!

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Just got back from the DW pick up one shot being run at GenCon. Won't spoil things, but it was hilarious despite the near TPK (all of us died, except one character, who became an NPC)/

It featured:

Psycho Dwarf Fighter: (me) Who's best plan of action was "See enemy, hit enemy", and whose second best plan of action was "Dodge the mage's property damage"

Property Damage Mage: Let's see, he collapsed the entrance to the cavern/temple under an avalanche (after we got in), he brought the house down (literally) twice casting spells that caused partial ceiling collapses.. and in one of the most hilarious moves I've ever seen, fulfilled the bargain with death (a soul for a soul) by fireballing the (current) big bad to death, and the 8 year old boy we'd been sent to rescue.

Unlucky the Bounty Hunter: Man, the dice hated him. He got chomped multiple times, nearly lost a limb on several occasions... but survived through the end (for a certain variation on the word survive)

The Monk who walks on Water: Seriously, he did two things throughout. Walking on Water like he was the second coming of Jesus Christ (rolled nothing but 10/11/12 on three separate occasions if I remember correctly), and break enemy appendages (pulled off multiple tentacles on a creature, broke both of the first big bad's arms)

Quotes from the game:

"Ok, I'm a dwarf with 9 intelligence and 8 wisdom. It's only a twenty feet jump. Why not?"

(after Unlucky the Bounty Hunter was grabbed by the tentacles of a kraken) "Oh dear. This suddenly has turned into a bad japanese anime"

(after the mage, under a pact with death to send a soul in his place, fireballed the current big bad, and the 8 year old boy we'd been sent to rescue)

GM: I really should've made it a damsel in distress, then this probably wouldn't have happened.
Mage: Probably would have happened anyway. I was under the gun.
Me: Nah, he would have done it anyway. That way we could've said she was one hot chick.
(rest of party wants to throw things at me)

Me: Can I use my bend bars and break things move on the (current big bad's), danglies and janglies?
GM: Sorry, that doesn't count as an inanimate object.

Thanks to all for a great game, and not killing me for the horrible puns.

SirFozzie fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Aug 16, 2013

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Just finished a game of Dungeon World run by ritorix here at Gencon. He did The Heart of the Minotaur and it was a goddamn blast. I chose the Slayer because with a name like that how could I not? I think I may have gone about things a completely different way than normal because (end of scenario spoilers) in the end I had become the Minotaur God of the goblins.

Len fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Aug 16, 2013

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!

Len posted:

Just finished a game of Dungeon World run by ritorix here at Gencon. He did The Heart of the Minotaur and it was a goddamn blast. I chose the Slayer because with a name like that how could I not? I think I may have gone about things a completely different way than normal because in the end I had become the Minotaur God of the goblins.

Len was the person I named "Unlucky the Bounty Hunter in my post above :)

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

SirFozzie posted:

Len was the person I named "Unlucky the Bounty Hunter in my post above :)

The chomping bit was totally worth it. I just wish my grisly trophy would have lasted longer. Bartleby, the name of my literal half-goblin trophy, served me well though.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
I knew it would be a good game when I asked "how will I recognize you all in the crowd?" and the answer was "look for the guys in the luchador masks".

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
DW just won an Ennie for Best Rules. Well-deserved.

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

ritorix posted:

DW just won an Ennie for Best Rules. Well-deserved.

Walked out to Kanye, thanked Biggie, Easy-E, and RPGPundit in their acceptance speech, too.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES

Dagon posted:

Walked out to Kanye, thanked Biggie, Easy-E, and RPGPundit in their acceptance speech, too.

Top lads.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Ran the second goon dungeon World game at gencon tonight. I could do this forever. Chaos.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

ritorix posted:

Ran the second goon dungeon World game at gencon tonight. I could do this forever. Chaos.

Well you gotta say more than that, dude. Spill the beans, how'd it go?

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Yeah well it's been a long night. Played D&D for 8 hours, GM'd Goongeon World for 4 hours, drank for at least 2hours. Ugh. But I'm back at the hotel now so here you go.

Same module as last time. Class this time were barbarian, ranger, druid, psion and artificer.

The module I run is a one-shot gimmick. At the end of the dungeon is a minotaur who has been cursed by the gods. Whoever kills him becomes him. There is always a minotaur.

Add this to a secret bunch of pacts with Death Himself from Last Breath bargains ("give me a soul you are bonded with, and I'll let you stay alive"), and it leads to a hilarious cascade failure TPK at the end every time. No one wants to piss off Death, and no one really wants to be the final minotaur, but given the choice, well...every single time I have ever run this, there has only been one survivor: the last minotaur. It makes for a hilarious end to a one-shot con game.

Majority of the craziness came from the druid this time. Term of the night was "surprise bear". As in, surprise, that little bird that was on your shoulder is now a gigantic bear.

It was only actually a surprise the first time. Each other time led to tragedy.

He finally died when he (as a squirrel) ran up the escape chimney as the ranger tried to escape too. The minotaur (the psion at this point, artificer and barbarian were dead) was waiting at the bottom to kill whoever fell. Squirrel turned into Surprise Bear, got stuck in the tiny chimney, and ranger managed to grab a hold of his fur so he didn't fall and die.

Which means the druid didn't fulfill his bargain with Death yet. Kill someone close to you, or die. So he turned into a hummingbird. Ranger failed to catch him, Minotaur failed to chop the ranger, so ranger killed the minotaur by stabbing him in the skull as he fell. We are now on Minotaur #4.

The druid is feeling the heat because if he doesn't kill this last remaining guy, Death will take his soul. So he turns from Hummingbird back into Surprise Bear, falls down the hole, rolls a 6 and instead of crushing the newly-forming minotaur, he is gored to death on the horns.

Winner: Ranger.

We also had an elven barbarian who died perhaps the most imaginable metal :black101: death possible. Earlier in the dungeon, a kraken entangled him in tentacles and tried to swallow him whole. He rammed his sword down his mouth, killing it as it fell into a lake. Drowning and buried under several tons of dead kraken, he tried to saw his way through the body of the beast and emerge from the back, Sharknado-style. The rolls went badly and he perished. Death gave him the same offer and he told Death to go gently caress himself. He wrote "Most Metal Death Ever" in big letters across the character sheet and bid us farewell for the night.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

ritorix posted:

Yeah well it's been a long night. Played D&D for 8 hours, GM'd Goongeon World for 4 hours, drank for at least 2hours. Ugh. But I'm back at the hotel now so here you go.

Same module as last time. Class this time were barbarian, ranger, druid, psion and artificer.

The module I run is a one-shot gimmick. At the end of the dungeon is a minotaur who has been cursed by the gods. Whoever kills him becomes him. There is always a minotaur.

Add this to a secret bunch of pacts with Death Himself from Last Breath bargains ("give me a soul you are bonded with, and I'll let you stay alive"), and it leads to a hilarious cascade failure TPK at the end every time. No one wants to piss off Death, and no one really wants to be the final minotaur, but given the choice, well...every single time I have ever run this, there has only been one survivor: the last minotaur. It makes for a hilarious end to a one-shot con game.

Majority of the craziness came from the druid this time. Term of the night was "surprise bear". As in, surprise, that little bird that was on your shoulder is now a gigantic bear.

It was only actually a surprise the first time. Each other time led to tragedy.

He finally died when he (as a squirrel) ran up the escape chimney as the ranger tried to escape too. The minotaur (the psion at this point, artificer and barbarian were dead) was waiting at the bottom to kill whoever fell. Squirrel turned into Surprise Bear, got stuck in the tiny chimney, and ranger managed to grab a hold of his fur so he didn't fall and die.

Which means the druid didn't fulfill his bargain with Death yet. Kill someone close to you, or die. So he turned into a hummingbird. Ranger failed to catch him, Minotaur failed to chop the ranger, so ranger killed the minotaur by stabbing him in the skull as he fell. We are now on Minotaur #4.

The druid is feeling the heat because if he doesn't kill this last remaining guy, Death will take his soul. So he turns from Hummingbird back into Surprise Bear, falls down the hole, rolls a 6 and instead of crushing the newly-forming minotaur, he is gored to death on the horns.

Winner: Ranger.

We also had an elven barbarian who died perhaps the most imaginable metal :black101: death possible. Earlier in the dungeon, a kraken entangled him in tentacles and tried to swallow him whole. He rammed his sword down his mouth, killing it as it fell into a lake. Drowning and buried under several tons of dead kraken, he tried to saw his way through the body of the beast and emerge from the back, Sharknado-style. The rolls went badly and he perished. Death gave him the same offer and he told Death to go gently caress himself. He wrote "Most Metal Death Ever" in big letters across the character sheet and bid us farewell for the night.

I didn't want to be in the room with a minotaur until I saw the opportunity to become the Minotaur God King of the Goblins. Then I became the Minotaur God King of the Goblins and maaaaaaaaaan their kingdom will never be the same again. Ever.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Dagon posted:

Is there a recording of this anywhere? :allears:

Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010

ritorix posted:

As the player of the elven barbarian, I can confirm it was the most metal death ever.

Among some of other KORGON THE MIGHTY'S accomplishments:

Elbow Dropping a goblin so hard it exploded. (after a much less impressive getting stuck in a window frame and getting shot out of it by the druid transformed into a goat, whose head was on fire)
After getting stabbed from both sides by spear-wielding goblins, he grabbed the spears and proceeded to smash the two goblins together so hard they became one dead goblin.

Ritorix also doesn't mention that the kraken hounded us from all the way across the sea after it had presumably eaten half our last company members, all the way up a snowy mountain, powering through an avalanche, and ignoring a lot of rocks falling form the cave it forced its way into. KORGON THE MIGHTY saved the Psion and the Artificer several times by picking them up and throwing them all over the place, including choosing to save the Psion over himself when the Kraken reached to entangle them when they were both underwater, picking up the tiny dwarven man and throwing him out of the water to safety.

He proceeded to survive the crushing tentacle and made the Kraken pay for trying to eat him. It would cost him his life... but he took down a kraken that had killed several of his WEAK CIVILIZED companions earlier, proving that the barbarian way of life is best, even for elves.

(... less impressive moments: stabbing the druid in the back with a throwing dagger by accident. Whoops.)

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.
Korgon the Mighty is my new hero.

I've finally learned to make my fights more dynamic in Dungeon World: the last session of my Roll20 DW campaign featured a battle with an Orc Breaker whom the Dwarf Fighter decided to take on in single combat. The fight began with the dwarf rushing at the orc, deflecting its huge hammer with his shield (Defy Danger with STR) to get into striking distance, where a 7 on his hack and slash resulted in him managing to slash the orc in the thigh while taking its huge hammer to his head. I decided to shift the action to the Cleric, who saw his dwarven companion reeling and dizzy from the blow, and the orc preparing to crush him with its hammer, when the Cleric decided to cast Cause Fear on the orc, making it terrified of its own hammer, effectively disarming him. However, since she'd rolled an 8 on casting the spell, she elected to take unwanted attention, the huge orc now turned to her with murderous rage in its eyes. Just as the orc was about to rush at the Cleric fists flailing I turned to the dwarf, who has just recovered from the hammer to his head, and he elected to interpose himself between the orc and the Clerid, triggering Defend. Another 7 later he was now hanging in the air, the orc trying to crush him by clenching its fist.

At this point I said "You're being held by the orc at arm's length. What do you do?" and the player replied with the coolest thing: "Yeah, but his arm is not at arm's length." A successful 10+ on his Hack and Slash roll resulted in the orc being reduced to two hit points and the player reminded me that his axe had the messy and forceful tags. The orc dropped him, reeling in pain, as its arm was now hanging by just one tendon, and I let the player finish it off by climbing on top of it and decapitating it.

Next time the players will be arriving in Not-Scandinavia and I'll probably throw some Frost Giants at them, allowing me to put the lessons I learned last time into better use in a battle featuring multiple opponents.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I picked up Dungeon World this morning. After getting everyone I know who I could play with into games they're actually excited to play an rpg instead of going "yeah I might play that" now I just have to begin the wait until school starts and we have synchronized days off.

Handgun Phonics
Jan 7, 2012
How would you handle actions like "looking for the enemy's position in the fog", and the sort? It's too quick for Discern Realities, and the questions don't really fit that as well, either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Handgun Phonics posted:

How would you handle actions like "looking for the enemy's position in the fog", and the sort? It's too quick for Discern Realities, and the questions don't really fit that as well, either.

When in doubt, defy danger. In this case, the danger being defied is that you don't find the enemy in time to prevent [bad thing].