Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm
When I picked up my DRZ, I got given the original off-road mudguard. Which was interesting because I wasn't expecting it and I'd just pillioned 150 miles to pick up the bike.

Cue me riding 150 miles with said mudguard ratchet-strapped and duck taped-to my back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

I also have a complete stock DRZ exhaust laying around.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
So I started installing my Trail Tech Vapor this past weekend, but I ran out of time midway through.

It turns out that when I ordered the "stealth" model (#752-102) Amazon sent me the silver model (#75-102) in a mislabeled package. After I emailed them back, they overnighted the black model. Now, that I have both, I think the silver model looks better with my hand guards.

Anyway, all that I have left to do for the Vapor is to install the water temp sensor and the tach sensor. Everyone on the KTM forums installs the water temp sensor behind the thermostat which doesn't make a lot of sense to me. If you do this, you won't know if the thermostat is failed and the bike is really overheating.

It would make more sense to put it in the coolant loop that circulates coolant through the head (#2 in the photo I found), but I'm not sure what direction the other lines flow. Do any of you all know? The only difficulty with the Vapor is that the wire for the temp sensor is pretty short, so I'll have to splice in some additional length to get it up to the gauge.

After this I'll finally get around to checking my valve clearances, attempting to fix an oil leak, and get the bike ready for a track day once the weather in Texas cools down a little.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

MetaJew posted:

So I started installing my Trail Tech Vapor this past weekend, but I ran out of time midway through.

It turns out that when I ordered the "stealth" model (#752-102) Amazon sent me the silver model (#75-102) in a mislabeled package. After I emailed them back, they overnighted the black model. Now, that I have both, I think the silver model looks better with my hand guards.

Anyway, all that I have left to do for the Vapor is to install the water temp sensor and the tach sensor. Everyone on the KTM forums installs the water temp sensor behind the thermostat which doesn't make a lot of sense to me. If you do this, you won't know if the thermostat is failed and the bike is really overheating.

It would make more sense to put it in the coolant loop that circulates coolant through the head (#2 in the photo I found), but I'm not sure what direction the other lines flow. Do any of you all know? The only difficulty with the Vapor is that the wire for the temp sensor is pretty short, so I'll have to splice in some additional length to get it up to the gauge.

After this I'll finally get around to checking my valve clearances, attempting to fix an oil leak, and get the bike ready for a track day once the weather in Texas cools down a little.

Are you returning the stealth? I've been thinking about getting a trailtech recently.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

So I bought the KLX400 I was talking about last week, and I'm making a trip down to Sydney on the weekend to pick up gear from a bigass store that's been recommended, what should I add to the shopping list for the bike itself?

It's pretty much bone stock other than a staintune exhaust (full exhaust, not a slip-on as far as I can tell) and the airbox mod hasn't been done. The carb may have been rejetted for the exhaust at the altitude I'm at, if I wanted to cut the hole in the airbox I guess I'll need to find out what size jets are currently fitted and upsize it to compensate for the increased airflow? How do I tell what's currently fit if the PO has no idea? (He got a dealer to fit the pipe, no idea if they touched the carb but it seems to run well.)

It needs a new tank/pannier bag as the old one is ripped. Also a set of sliders would be a good idea to limit damage if/when I drop it. This bike also only comes with an electric start option, is it possible to buy and fit a kickstarter just in case I kill the battery one day?

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

Ephphatha posted:

So I bought the KLX400 I was talking about last week, and I'm making a trip down to Sydney on the weekend to pick up gear from a bigass store that's been recommended, what should I add to the shopping list for the bike itself?

It's pretty much bone stock other than a staintune exhaust (full exhaust, not a slip-on as far as I can tell) and the airbox mod hasn't been done. The carb may have been rejetted for the exhaust at the altitude I'm at, if I wanted to cut the hole in the airbox I guess I'll need to find out what size jets are currently fitted and upsize it to compensate for the increased airflow? How do I tell what's currently fit if the PO has no idea? (He got a dealer to fit the pipe, no idea if they touched the carb but it seems to run well.)

It needs a new tank/pannier bag as the old one is ripped. Also a set of sliders would be a good idea to limit damage if/when I drop it. This bike also only comes with an electric start option, is it possible to buy and fit a kickstarter just in case I kill the battery one day?

When you take the stock carb out you can remove the jets and read the numbers engraved on them to find out what's what. This is the only way to know. Definitely do the airbox mod. If a dealer installed a pipe I'd be surprised if it doesn't have an air filter and rejet done but you need to confirm these things.

There are ways to retrofit the E model kickstart but it's not worth it IMO. It's just adding weight for something you probably won't ever use. You can always bump start the bike if you really run into trouble otherwise buy a battery tender jr and leave the quick connect on the bike for easy charging to prevent accidents from happening. If you do a lot of offroading it may be worth it but otherwise I'd avoid it.

Sliders can be made out of a piece of threaded steel rod that will fit through each axle (they're hollow) and a set of skateboard wheels you can find for cheap. Just put washers on either side of the wheels and find small enough nuts and they'll work if you're looking to go cheap. If you want real ones Supermoto Engineering and the like make nice ones.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Ephphatha posted:

Also a set of sliders would be a good idea to limit damage if/when I drop it.

Get a set of case savers and some axle sliders, and file/sand the back of the gear shifter as its really sharp from the factory and will punch a hole in your case in a fall.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DRZ400-and-KLX400-Engine-Case-Guards-/281028595452

Ephphatha posted:

This bike also only comes with an electric start option, is it possible to buy and fit a kickstarter just in case I kill the battery one day?

Its possible, you can order the parts from the drz-400k model, but I dont really think its worth the cost, better off spending the money on a better carb

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Sliders on a dual sport just sound wrong.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

They're axle sliders not frame sliders. Combining them with handguards (with an actual guard in them, not just roost guards) helps keep the swing arm / exhaust from getting raped as fast in small falls.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

ought ten posted:

Are you returning the stealth? I've been thinking about getting a trailtech recently.

Yeah, I got a return label from amazon and I think I'll mail the stealth model back. I would keep it if it had a matte black finish, but its gloss black and looks sort of cheap.

You can pick them up on Amazon prime for ~$95.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

MetaJew posted:

Yeah, I got a return label from amazon and I think I'll mail the stealth model back. I would keep it if it had a matte black finish, but its gloss black and looks sort of cheap.

You can pick them up on Amazon prime for ~$95.

Yeah, if they're taking it back for a full refund it doesn't make sense, but I thought I might save us both some money.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Just put the Acerbis Supermoto front fender on the DRZ. Looks good, I think it's like 10" shorter over all, and it's more vented in the back. Hopefully should reduce high-speed instability a little bit plus it looks great.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

It doesn't do a damned thing in the rain, though.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

For anyone who owns a DRZ and wants to make their own axle sliders, M10 threaded rod is (slightly) too big for the rear axle. You can do what I did and sand the thread down on about 10cm of the rod to let it protrude out the nut side of the rear axle. Just wear gloves while you're doing it so you don't sand the skin off the back of your hand. :smith:

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

wallaka posted:

It doesn't do a damned thing in the rain, though.

Haha and enjoy your mud goggles if you ride any dirt. Even the offroad fender doesn't do much to stop that for some reason.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Ephphatha posted:

For anyone who owns a DRZ and wants to make their own axle sliders, M10 threaded rod is (slightly) too big for the rear axle. You can do what I did and sand the thread down on about 10cm of the rod to let it protrude out the nut side of the rear axle. Just wear gloves while you're doing it so you don't sand the skin off the back of your hand. :smith:

Trying to envision how on earth you managed to sand the back of your hand, drawing a blank?

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

Resting over the back of my hand cause I'm stupid.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

Haha and enjoy your mud goggles if you ride any dirt. Even the offroad fender doesn't do much to stop that for some reason.

Luckily I use the DRZ pretty exclusively on pavement. And if it's going to rain I can take the Marauder so I should be copacetic.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Progress Report

Wheelie Status: ACHIEVED

I did my very first wheelie today. It was glorious and I'm a little embarrassed about the way it happened. I always figured my first would come with a big lead-up -- watching some wheelie technique videos on my phone, carefully reviewing the steps of wheelie-ing in my head, practicing the motions of a wheelie with the kickstand down. What happened instead is hot sauce and I were riding around an empty lot and a group of little kids came running over to watch. I felt bad since we were just about to head out, so as we rolled away I moved my foot over the rear brake, scooted back and cracked the throttle. Probably only came up a few inches in the front but it felt like 10 feet. I closed the throttle, wheel came down, and away we went.

My secret fear since I got the bike was that there was something wrong with it. Everyone says the DRZ's a wheelie machine but even on fairly aggressive acceleration I'd never lifted the front. Turns out the problem was me. All it took was deciding to do it. I'm worried it's going to become a problem :unsmigghh:

Well I'm sure that wasn't as interesting to anyone else as it was to me. But I feel like I just popped my cherry and I want to shout it from the rooftops.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

ought ten posted:

Progress Report

I'm worried it's going to become a problem :unsmigghh:

Yes. Yes it is.

I know the feeling of thinking your bike can't do it though and then finding out it was you all along, my next step is doing wheelies at 30-40 mph and I don't even know how people manage to bring it up at that speed.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Yes. Yes it is.

I know the feeling of thinking your bike can't do it though and then finding out it was you all along, my next step is doing wheelies at 30-40 mph and I don't even know how people manage to bring it up at that speed.

Yeah hard to imagine. I think first gear wheelies will keep me more than entertained for the time being.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

ought ten posted:

Well I'm sure that wasn't as interesting to anyone else as it was to me. But I feel like I just popped my cherry and I want to shout it from the rooftops.

Yeah you just gotta want it bad enough.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

ought ten posted:

Progress Report

I did my very first wheelie today.

:v::hf::xd: Yeah I finally did a baby wheelie on the 690 the other night. Was riding home on a beautiful night after a 12hour shift, thought "Man, I'm a pansy!" and just wrung the poo poo out of the throttle. Of course I immediately freaked and eased off, but that one second of 4" felt great (want some of this, ladies?)

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Just wait until you accidentally 12oclock it.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

That was the result of my first accidental wheelie...I somehow saved it but took out my tail light and nearly poo poo myself. Sometimes I miss the CRF SM.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
My rear wheel is filthy- I suspect mostly from chain lube and other gunk. How the hell do I clean or keep clean my rear wheel? Between spokes, sprocket and the brake disk I'm not sure how to really get in there.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Put kerosene on a rag and thank me later. It's magic for getting rid of chain lube.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

JP Money posted:

Put kerosene on a rag and thank me later. It's magic for getting rid of chain lube.

That worked pretty well. Thanks! I got my Vapor on, adjusted my valves (they were a little looser than spec), and changed my oil.

Speaking of oil, I had about 1000 miles on the oil and had poo poo tons of metal flakes in the pan... It was like this when I last changed the oil after buying it from the PO, and I've read that this isn't "unusual", but it's kinda scary.

So, there's a Dosoduro for sale in Houston and a '10 690 SMC in DFW. I might try to do a few track days and then look for a newer/less sketchy bike.

For the time being I'm realizing that I need to go crazy with the loctite. What should I double check?

MetaJew fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Aug 19, 2013

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

You should clean your chain with kerosene and a toothbrush before applying lube. They sell a special brush for cleaning a chain but a toothbrush works.

I definitely suggest using the teflon spray lube. No meee. A little pricey compared to just using oil but a lot less messy. Not sure if I read about it here or on another bike forum

I think this is the one I used

http://www.amazon.com/DuPont-Non-St...nDateDescending

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Put nearly 300 miles on the DRZ yesterday coupled with a couple hours of woods riding on street tires :feelsgood: Not one picture, which is my bad.

I'm paying for it today, but it was totally worth it to get out and blow the cobwebs out of it.

ChewedFood
Jul 22, 2012

Did this last time I was out (a week ago, screw work). First thing that popped in my head was those guys arguing about balance point wheelies like a month ago in this thread and I thought 'so that's what the balance point is, where you fall off the back of the bike'

Christoff posted:

You should clean your chain with kerosene and a toothbrush before applying lube. They sell a special brush for cleaning a chain but a toothbrush works.

I definitely suggest using the teflon spray lube. No meee. A little pricey compared to just using oil but a lot less messy. Not sure if I read about it here or on another bike forum

I think this is the one I used

http://www.amazon.com/DuPont-Non-St...nDateDescending

I keep my chain with a solid coat of hardened mud, is that bad?

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Finally tested out the Distanzias on a power line trail. Not too terrible, I never fully lost forward progress in some pretty deep mud, and didn't have to get off and push. Not nearly as good as real knobbies, but much better on the street. I am tired as hell, though. A mile off-road in this heat is rough for a chubby guy.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
I have those on my MZ - they're pretty good tires given how well they also perform on the street. The troubles you will run into come primarily from the 17" wide tire. Your frontend is pretty much going to always suck and have very little traction.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Not sure what to think about this one..
http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/mcy/4017804352.html

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I dunno, it's as much a supermoto as the hypermotard is

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009

Almost looped the DRZ today, when I went for a "pissed off and need to relax ride" after work. Second gear wheelie got a little high and I decided to go for 12 o clock. Got there, panicked a bit and pressed down with my right foot, only to find that it slipped off the rear brake. Clutched in and held on to the bars while my rear end slid backwards and popped it down. I'm sure anyone on the sidewalk got a good laugh out of that one. I need to put my loving sliders on damnit.

Edit: I guess it must have been 11:30 since I didn't go over backwards. :haw:

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Everything about that is terrible, but the forward controls kill me. What the gently caress would you do with it?

ChewedFood
Jul 22, 2012

Yerok posted:

Almost looped the DRZ today, when I went for a "pissed off and need to relax ride" after work. Second gear wheelie got a little high and I decided to go for 12 o clock. Got there, panicked a bit and pressed down with my right foot, only to find that it slipped off the rear brake. Clutched in and held on to the bars while my rear end slid backwards and popped it down. I'm sure anyone on the sidewalk got a good laugh out of that one. I need to put my loving sliders on damnit.

Edit: I guess it must have been 11:30 since I didn't go over backwards. :haw:

When panicking in a wheelie, don't clutch. The resistance from engine braking will bring you down from even farther than 12 o'clock.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Obviously that's a wrecked and abused Dyna. If it weren't, you could sell it and build two 883-based "supermotards".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009

ChewedFood posted:

When panicking in a wheelie, don't clutch. The resistance from engine braking will bring you down from even farther than 12 o'clock.

I can't believe I didn't think of that. Thank you! That'll definitely save my rear end in the future.

• Locked thread