Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

Axeman Jim posted:

My dad visited Coventry airport today. No problems with prop blur here :smith:

Hey, I got my first type rating in the ATP! What an enormous piece of poo poo aircraft that was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

hobbesmaster posted:

Mobile radar/sonar is actually one of the more justifiable things CBP has.

Sounds like it's just radar, given the description of the radome on top it's probably one of the AEW versions with an AWACS-lite radar mounted on it for detecting smugglers:

CBP also has a couple "standard" ones that are equipped with a bunch of EO/IR/etc sensors that they use for a similar purpose.

e: The Coast Guard used to operate a couple of E-2s for a similar reason. They crashed one, killing all 4 on board, and disestablished the program. They then proceeded to perform an experiment involving putting an E-2's radar/radome on a C-130:

iyaayas01 fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Aug 15, 2013

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

iyaayas01 posted:

Sounds like it's just radar, given the description of the radome on top it's probably one of the AEW versions with an AWACS-lite radar mounted on it for detecting smugglers:

CBP also has a couple "standard" ones that are equipped with a bunch of EO/IR/etc sensors that they use for a similar purpose.

e: The Coast Guard used to operate a couple of E-2s for a similar reason. They crashed one, killing all 4 on board, and disestablished the program. They then proceeded to perform an experiment involving putting an E-2's radar/radome on a C-130:

It still has the MAD boom, I wonder if its still installed? Of course the plane doesn't have sonar, not sure why I said that...

edit: Speaking of P-3s, if you haven't read this you should: http://www.wunderground.com/resources/education/hugo1.asp

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Aug 15, 2013

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

hobbesmaster posted:

It still has the MAD boom, I wonder if its still installed? Of course the plane doesn't have sonar, not sure why I said that...

edit: Speaking of P-3s, if you haven't read this you should: http://www.wunderground.com/resources/education/hugo1.asp

Doubtful, MAD and AEW are kind of two completely different mission profiles (one's low level couple hundred feet off the deck, the other is as high as you can get), also coke smuggling subs didn't really become a thing until a couple years ago and the AEW P-3 has been operational since the '90s.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

hobbesmaster posted:

Of course the plane doesn't have sonar, not sure why I said that...

Technically...

...they can drop sonobuoys.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

iyaayas01 posted:

Doubtful, MAD and AEW are kind of two completely different mission profiles (one's low level couple hundred feet off the deck, the other is as high as you can get), also coke smuggling subs didn't really become a thing until a couple years ago and the AEW P-3 has been operational since the '90s.

As far as I saw when I did the counterdrug thing, the AEW never went low. They did, however, work with CBP P-3s equipped with EO/IR pods who would go low and check things out. The AEW dome holds the older E-2 radar (not the new one from the E-2D).

movax
Aug 30, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

Mobile radar/sonar is actually one of the more justifiable things CBP has.

This is true, fair point.

Jazzahn
Jul 3, 2007

Did you just say awesome?
Flying is the best

(That's me performing a left 360 for spacing over KPVC)

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane

Jazzahn posted:

Flying is the best

I really is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uE1If8ekBo

That is me flying with powered parachutes at Oshkosh. My plane was deemed to slow to fly with the newer ultralights.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4J_M0T5hhs
This was me and some other dudes doing a sweet takeoff.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
...does that departure take you right over the Yukla site? :stare:

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Godholio posted:

...does that departure take you right over the Yukla site? :stare:

Practically every departure on runway 06 flies over the crash sites of Yukla 27 and Sitka 43. It's unavoidable.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

holocaust bloopers posted:

Practically every departure on runway 06 flies over the crash sites of Yukla 27 and Sitka 43. It's unavoidable.

I've said this before, but it is really eerie how close the two sites are.

I miss being able to go hide out in the back 40/inlet area out by the MSA.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
Saw a pretty cool thing in Frankfurt. 3 of them, in fact, and with a 747 beside them for scale :eyepop:

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

grover posted:

Saw a pretty cool thing in Frankfurt. 3 of them, in fact, and with a 747 beside them for scale :eyepop:

gently caress that airport and its lack of places to sit.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

grover posted:

Notice the engines on the 747 too- it's a 747-8i, which is the sexiest jetliner currently going. Too bad no one wants them.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I think Lufthansa is one of the few or only passenger airlines to have them. There are more cargo orders (747-8F) though.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.
I know there's a few reconnaissance plane fans in this thread, while responding to a FOIA request about Area 51 the CIA declassified some stuff on the U-2 and OXCART programs. Not all of it's new information of course but there's still some good stuff in there.

quote:

On 12 April 1955 [CIA officer] Richard Bissell and Col. Osmund Ritland (the senior Air Force officer on the project staff) flew over Nevada with [Lockheed's] Kelly Johnson in a small Beechcraft plane piloted by Lockheed's chief test pilot, Tony LeVier. They spotted what appeared to be an airstrip by a salt flat known as Groom Lake, near the northeast corner of the Atomic Energy Commission's (AEC) Nevada Proving Ground. After debating about landing on the old airstrip, LeVier set the plane down on the lakebed, and all four walked over to examine the strip. The facility had been used during World War II as an aerial gunnery range for Army Air Corps pilots. From the air the strip appeared to be paved, but on closer inspection it turned out to have originally been fashioned from compacted earth that had turned into ankle-deep dust after more than a decade of disuse. If LeVier had atrempted to land on the airstrip, the plane would probably have nosed over when the wheels sank into the loose soil, killing or injuring all of the key figures in the U-2 project.

You can grab the entire report as a pdf via torrent or just view it in chapters from here at the very bottom: http://www2.gwu.edu/~nsarchiv/NSAEBB/NSAEBB434/

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

CharlesM posted:

I think Lufthansa is one of the few or only passenger airlines to have them. There are more cargo orders (747-8F) though.

Lufthansa isn't the only customer for the passenger version, but they are the only ones who have any of their planes yet (excepting a few VIP orders, which have technically been "delivered" but are still having interiors and other custom gear fitted.) The -8F is a bit more widespread, although since the air cargo market is still just okay at this point, there are a couple that have been flown straight to storage in the desert.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

The Electronaut posted:

gently caress that airport and its lack of places to sit.
Also water fountains and restrooms. 2 fountains in an entire terminal? Restrooms serving about 6 gates with just 1 urinal and stall? Stalls with doors weighted to self-close so you can't tell if they're occupied or not without pushing on them? WTF, germany?

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

StandardVC10 posted:

The -8F is a bit more widespread, although since the air cargo market is still just okay at this point, there are a couple that have been flown straight to storage in the desert.

Wat?

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Yup. (Not my photo.)

"Actually, we don't need it right now. Could you, like, just hold onto it for a bit?" :geno:

Edit: The same thing happened for a couple of China Southern 777Fs right when the crash hit in 2009, but they are in service now.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

There's at least three parked at Pinal Airpark (with more supposedly scheduled to arrive), and they're coming basically straight from the factory and being shrink-wrapped for storage until the market improves or the current 747-400 freighters get old enough to warrant replacement.

It's kind of a bizarre sight, since they're sharing storage space with old DC-9's and early model 747's that are being parted out before they're shredded for scrap.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

grover posted:

Also water fountains and restrooms. 2 fountains in an entire terminal? Restrooms serving about 6 gates with just 1 urinal and stall? Stalls with doors weighted to self-close so you can't tell if they're occupied or not without pushing on them? WTF, germany?

Yeah, you'd think Germany would know how to build something properly so it was within code.

ChickenOfTomorrow fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Aug 17, 2013

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Watch an F-104 do the infamous "touch-roll-touch" maneuver:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyBDEG9dg-Q

I think the pilots at the end are applauding more for the fact that the demo pilot isn't a smear on the runway than anything else.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

StandardVC10 posted:

Notice the engines on the 747 too- it's a 747-8i, which is the sexiest jetliner currently going. Too bad no one wants them.

CharlesM posted:

I think Lufthansa is one of the few or only passenger airlines to have them.

Boeing wasn't originally going to make the 8i, but Lufthansa demanded it.

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

Yeah, you'd think Germany would know how to build something properly so it was within code.

:master:

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Boeing wasn't originally going to make the 8i, but Lufthansa demanded it.

Eh, I'm not sure how true this is. Boeing had been throwing around upgraded 747 ideas since the 1990s, and the success of the 777-300ER was somewhat unexpected as far as I know. Plus there remains the possibility for an Air Force One replacement which could be 747 based, and the fact that it's basically piggybacking on the 747-8F for some of its development.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

azflyboy posted:

There's at least three parked at Pinal Airpark (with more supposedly scheduled to arrive), and they're coming basically straight from the factory and being shrink-wrapped for storage until the market improves or the current 747-400 freighters get old enough to warrant replacement.

I'm really curious what the economics are of buying a plane and having it placed in storage versus early retirement of an older, presumably less efficient, aircraft.

I'm sure at least some of it is just waiting for an older plane to hit a D-check, saving those hours on the new one. But it seems like, if the -8 is as much more efficient as they say, the airlines would rather speed up the retirement process to put them in service since they already paid for the plane.

Or, assuming the planes are leased, I wonder how much you save by having it in the desert. The lessor is stuck paying Boeing full price but wince the lease is probably in terms of hours flown I guess it could make sence.

I'm also curious what the depreciation rate of a new plane compared to, say, a -400. The -400s have been been falling in price Yugos in the rust belt but I'd imagine there might be a pretty steep curve for new airframes as well?

Epiphyte
Apr 7, 2006

MrChips posted:

Watch an F-104 do the infamous "touch-roll-touch" maneuver:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyBDEG9dg-Q

I think the pilots at the end are applauding more for the fact that the demo pilot isn't a smear on the runway than anything else.
The 104G was the greatest prank Lockheed ever pulled

Hey, you know that high altitude interceptor with the tiny wings? It'll totally be an awesome ground attack aircraft.

The F35 is gonna have to kill a lot of pilots to live up to that legacy

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Holy poo poo that video.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Advent Horizon posted:

I'm really curious what the economics are of buying a plane and having it placed in storage versus early retirement of an older, presumably less efficient, aircraft.

I'm sure at least some of it is just waiting for an older plane to hit a D-check, saving those hours on the new one. But it seems like, if the -8 is as much more efficient as they say, the airlines would rather speed up the retirement process to put them in service since they already paid for the plane.

Or, assuming the planes are leased, I wonder how much you save by having it in the desert. The lessor is stuck paying Boeing full price but wince the lease is probably in terms of hours flown I guess it could make sence.

My understanding is that the airplanes parked at Pinal are still owned by Boeing, and won't be paid for until the customers take delivery at some point.

I believe the companies that have 747-8's parked are all operating relatively new fleets of aircraft (Nippon Cargo's oldest 747-400 was built in 2005), so I'd guess it's a case of waiting for the cargo market to improve to a point where there's enough work to be able to justify the cost of taking delivery of new airplanes rather than retiring older ones for most of those operators.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Epiphyte posted:

21 pilots died as a direct result of a downward firing ejector seat. They had to wear special stirrups that were attached to cables which upon firing of the ejection seat, would retract in effect binding the legs to the seat. :stare:

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

SeaborneClink posted:

21 pilots died as a direct result of a downward firing ejector seat. They had to wear special stirrups that were attached to cables which upon firing of the ejection seat, would retract in effect binding the legs to the seat. :stare:

The C-2 seat, fitted to the majority of F-104s, actually fired upward (the downward firing seats were only fitted to the first hundred or so Starfighters). The C-2 had stirrups because it was thought they would prevent flail injuries, as well as to ensure the pilot didn't leave his shins behind in the aircraft.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Epiphyte posted:

Hey, you know that high altitude interceptor with the tiny wings? It'll totally be an awesome ground attack aircraft.

The F35 is gonna have to kill a lot of pilots to live up to that legacy

At least they aren't talking about replacing the A-10 with that piece of paper again.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I wasnt able to get photos of the airshow. My point and shoot Samsung acts more like a POS.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
I believe this was a retiring Wing Commander's last flight, so he decided to stick it to the man! Those hangars are about 75 yards apart I think!

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Something something something, womprats.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

hobbesmaster posted:

At least they aren't talking about replacing the A-10 with that piece of paper again.

No, that's still the eventual plan. Even with the recent SLEP to replace/strengthen the wings and upgrade the entire fleet's avionics to the -C's glass cockpit/1760-bus standard, the Hawg has a finite lifespan (believe the wing SLEP takes the planned lifespan out to 2040ish, although that's flexible depending on number of hours flown, metal fatigue, and a whole bunch of other things), and that's not even getting into the fiscal side of things. Regardless, even if we spend the money to keep them flying as long as possible eventually the airframes are going to be shot and the only replacement for anything manned tacair in the USAF right now is the F-35, with basically nothing else on the horizon.

Also the -G wasn't so much a prank as it was a prime example of what Lockheed's bribe money could get them. Seriously outside of what Kelly Johnson and Ben Rich designed everything that company has ever done can just gently caress right off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES
HD video of the most awesome airplane ever. The F14.
http://youtu.be/Y45rzmDaABI