Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

SRQ posted:

Don't buy a mac pro for games the processor and GPU is designed for workstation application.
Or do, but don't cry to Apple when Crysis 4 runs slowly or COD16 requires some shader not on the cards.

Dude, he's not saying he wants to buy one just for gaming, he's asking if it will run games well on the side.

You make it sound as if workstation CPUs and GPUs are actually anti-optimized for games. They're not. It's almost always the exact same silicon sold to gamers. It's expensive to create truly individualized chips for different markets, so it's common to design one and sell it at different price points with different feature sets enabled. There's actually a lot of CPU/GPU overlap between high end gaming and midrange workstation because both demand a lot of compute power and it's natural to design chips which cross over.

The type of Intel Xeon Apple's going to be using in the new Mac Pro is a great example. It's the same chip design that Intel is also going to be selling as the biggest baddest "Extreme" i7 CPU. The Xeon version will have up to 12 cores and some workstation/server-only features enabled, the "enthusiast" version will have up to 6 cores and overclocking enabled. Same physical chips, different fuses blown at the factory to activate different features, none of which are actually relevant to "can run game code quickly".

On the GPU side, there's two pieces. One is hardware performance. Games basically don't use double precision floating point in the GPU, so it's common to fuse off (disable) most of the DP FP hardware in the gamer version of a GPU. The other is actually the drivers. Many CAD applications have crusty old rendering code which makes heavy use of certain archaic OpenGL features that no longer align with how GPU hardware actually works. On the PC side, both ATI and NVidia tie high quality driver emulation of these old GL features to the workstation hardware. Also, they often don't bother optimizing the workstation builds of their drivers for gaming, which is probably where the "workstation HW bad for games" idea comes from.

But... this driver issue doesn't apply to OS X. It uses one unified driver for all GPUs of one generation, covering both workstation and consumer variants. This is probably a consequence of the lack of a thriving ecosystem of aftermarket GPUs for Macs. No low end market equals no incentive to waste time doing two separate driver builds to defend the high end market. Also, not much software on OS X uses those old crusty GL features anyways. OS X isn't very strong in CAD, which is where most of the offending programs live.

So: the new Mac Pro may be a little dubious for gaming if you have to reboot to Windows to run it, but anything which runs under OS X will probably do just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

geera posted:

Google tells me that this isn't supported for Time Machine backups -- at least not officially or reliably.

Protocol7 posted:

It's, uh, in the manual for the newest model of AirPort Extreme.

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/airport_extreme_80211ac_setup.pdf

Page 13.

Apple's own tech database has three articles that specifically say Time Machine is not to be used with USB drives hooked up to Airport Extremes.

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH11171 (modified 8/8/13)
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2038 (modified 6/11/13)
http://support.apple.com/kb/PH4327 (modified 6/12/12)

Apple posted:

Additional Information

Time Machine is not supported with USB hard drives that are connected to an AirPort Express or AirPort Extreme device.

It may be that Apple has decided to support Time Machine backups to only the Airport Extreme 802.11ac. All the other Xth generation Airport Extremes may still be still out in the cold.

It's also strange that the AE 802.11ac still only has USB 2 support when the Broadcom SOC chip has a USB 3.0 controller on it? Eh, maybe they wanted to reserve the CPU power for maintaining 802.11ac bandwidth instead of USB 3..

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Aug 16, 2013

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012

BobHoward posted:

Dude, he's not saying he wants to buy one just for gaming, he's asking if it will run games well on the side.

You make it sound as if workstation CPUs and GPUs are actually anti-optimized for games. They're not. It's almost always the exact same silicon sold to gamers. It's expensive to create truly individualized chips for different markets, so it's common to design one and sell it at different price points with different feature sets enabled. There's actually a lot of CPU/GPU overlap between high end gaming and midrange workstation because both demand a lot of compute power and it's natural to design chips which cross over.

The type of Intel Xeon Apple's going to be using in the new Mac Pro is a great example. It's the same chip design that Intel is also going to be selling as the biggest baddest "Extreme" i7 CPU. The Xeon version will have up to 12 cores and some workstation/server-only features enabled, the "enthusiast" version will have up to 6 cores and overclocking enabled. Same physical chips, different fuses blown at the factory to activate different features, none of which are actually relevant to "can run game code quickly".

On the GPU side, there's two pieces. One is hardware performance. Games basically don't use double precision floating point in the GPU, so it's common to fuse off (disable) most of the DP FP hardware in the gamer version of a GPU. The other is actually the drivers. Many CAD applications have crusty old rendering code which makes heavy use of certain archaic OpenGL features that no longer align with how GPU hardware actually works. On the PC side, both ATI and NVidia tie high quality driver emulation of these old GL features to the workstation hardware. Also, they often don't bother optimizing the workstation builds of their drivers for gaming, which is probably where the "workstation HW bad for games" idea comes from.

But... this driver issue doesn't apply to OS X. It uses one unified driver for all GPUs of one generation, covering both workstation and consumer variants. This is probably a consequence of the lack of a thriving ecosystem of aftermarket GPUs for Macs. No low end market equals no incentive to waste time doing two separate driver builds to defend the high end market. Also, not much software on OS X uses those old crusty GL features anyways. OS X isn't very strong in CAD, which is where most of the offending programs live.

So: the new Mac Pro may be a little dubious for gaming if you have to reboot to Windows to run it, but anything which runs under OS X will probably do just fine.

This hit the nail on the head thanks. The only game I'd imagine would actually start be taxing on the hardware would be Planetside 2 (When it is eventually released on the Mac).

Just as a qualifier, in terms of professional applications I use Maya, Autocad and Logic Pro pretty extensively. I take an automotive design course on the side at Uni and having the hardware to render detail much faster would be greatly beneficial to my workflow anyway. So my question isn't really 'Should I get a mac pro for gaming', its more 'would a mac pro suffice for gaming or would I need a different rig?'.

cstine
Apr 15, 2004

What's in the box?!?

Ocrassus posted:

This hit the nail on the head thanks. The only game I'd imagine would actually start be taxing on the hardware would be Planetside 2 (When it is eventually released on the Mac).

Just as a qualifier, in terms of professional applications I use Maya, Autocad and Logic Pro pretty extensively. I take an automotive design course on the side at Uni and having the hardware to render detail much faster would be greatly beneficial to my workflow anyway. So my question isn't really 'Should I get a mac pro for gaming', its more 'would a mac pro suffice for gaming or would I need a different rig?'.

It will, with the understanding that *most* "mac games" are a windows binary wrapped in cider, and therefore are going to both be buggier and slower than expected when played.

Generally you're fine, if you're not expecting 1400p and 16x AA and max settings - but there's a still a very noticeable performance hit with all the wrapped games.

bulbous nub
Jul 29, 2007

It's ok; I'm taking it back.
Lipstick Apathy
I found on MacRumors that Apple is starting a repair program for any of the Mid-2011 27" iMacs that have AMD Radeon HD 6970M graphics cards that have failed. This will last for 3 years from the date of purchase.

Look at your serial number to see if you are affected. Serials ending in DHJQ, DHJW, DL8Q, DNGH, DNJ9, DMW8, DPM1, DPM2, DPNV, DNY0, DRVP, DY6F, or F610 can set up a genius bar appointment to get it repaired.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
A bit of a tangent, but is Apple required by law to extend these warranties when the parts are disfunctional? I never see any other tech company issuing these kinds of extended warranties. The only other industry where you hear about massive recalls is the auto industry. Maybe other computer companies do it but you only hear about apple because they're so high profile...

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

chupacabraTERROR posted:

I never see any other tech company issuing these kinds of extended warranties. The only other industry where you hear about massive recalls is the auto industry. Maybe other computer companies do it but you only hear about apple because they're so high profile...
It happens quite a bit. Dell recalled the Alienware 11x for bad hinges, HP recalled the DV-series for the NVIDIA chipset...

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

chupacabraTERROR posted:

A bit of a tangent, but is Apple required by law to extend these warranties when the parts are disfunctional? I never see any other tech company issuing these kinds of extended warranties. The only other industry where you hear about massive recalls is the auto industry. Maybe other computer companies do it but you only hear about apple because they're so high profile...

Well things such as class action suits are what drive extended warranties for part related failures.

For example the battery bulge problem led to a free battery replacement program.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

chupacabraTERROR posted:

You usually don't see them because service alerts are issued to the service and repair centers, not the customers. They want the techs to be on the lookout for any possible known issues but don't want to prompt customers to bring in otherwise working products for pre-emotive replacements.

Only in really huge issues where safety is an issue or a class action ends up being filed is where you hear of most of these problems.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Binary Badger posted:

Apple's own tech database has three articles that specifically say Time Machine is not to be used with USB drives hooked up to Airport Extremes.

It may be that Apple has decided to support Time Machine backups to only the Airport Extreme 802.11ac. All the other Xth generation Airport Extremes may still be still out in the cold.

I've used Time Machine with external disks on my 4th and 5th generation Airport Extreme Base Stations and it did work (I've been able to restore files from it). There used to be a recurring occasional error to the effect of "that disk is already in use", but it was easily addressed by re-selecting the disk and they fixed it in a patch 2 years ago or so. So while it's unsupported, it's certainly doable.

Also, that first support article flat out states that Time Machine can't back up to an external Airport Extreme disk, which is directly contradicted by the manual of the 802.11ac Airport Extreme. This is weird because the article was supposedly updated on the 8th of this month, when Apple should have been well aware of this.

All that considered, the reason why I still got me a Time Capsule for the occasion of 802.11ac coming out was that the price difference for the 2TB model isn't that much more than what a hard disk would cost, plus the disk is supported by Apple and I can still add another external disk.

dox
Mar 4, 2006
I have an iMac9,1 (24" early 2009) that I am trying to hook up to a new Late 2012 27" iMac in Target Display Mode. What cable do I need to be using? As far as I understand, Mini DisplayPort -> Mini DisplayPort should work to get the old 2009 iMac in TDP with the new 2012 iMac. When I plug in the cables, both computers are on, I press CMD+F2 on the old iMac and nothing happens- according to most instructions, the monitor should be joined to the newer iMac with that command. Does anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong or how to get this drat old iMac to work as a second monitor with the newer machine?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

dox posted:

I have an iMac9,1 (24" early 2009) that I am trying to hook up to a new Late 2012 27" iMac in Target Display Mode. What cable do I need to be using? As far as I understand, Mini DisplayPort -> Mini DisplayPort should work to get the old 2009 iMac in TDP with the new 2012 iMac. When I plug in the cables, both computers are on, I press CMD+F2 on the old iMac and nothing happens- according to most instructions, the monitor should be joined to the newer iMac with that command. Does anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong or how to get this drat old iMac to work as a second monitor with the newer machine?
It's not possible. The 2012 needs a Thunderbolt signal for the display input to work, not just DisplayPort. No ones developed an adapter or anything for it either.

And not that it matters, but I think the cmd-F2 is done on the newer iMac. Unless you're trying it the other way around but I don't remember if the 24" worked as a display, I think that was introduced with the 27" models.

japtor fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Aug 17, 2013

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Does "CAS latency" and timing matter when upgrading RAM?
What about "matched pairs"?
What's the difference between CL9 and CL11?

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Aug 17, 2013

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Mister Macys posted:

1) Not usually as I think it's standard for a particular DIMM type. I know they are sometimes modified to increase performance but it's not a concern if you're just buying more/new RAM. For what it's worth, I've never looked at the timings of RAM I've bought.

2) Matched pairs can offer faster data rate; I don't know how picky Macs are in particular.

3) This seems like a good discussion, short answer is no http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/314892-30-cl11-what-difference

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

You should always match pairs, it's just easier that way (also un-matched will run at the slower speed).

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Mister Macys posted:

Adding to what's been said, to try to give you a better idea of what these numbers mean, CAS latency refers to the number of memory clock cycles between the computer asking the RAM to read data from an open page, and the RAM actually beginning to clock out data. Smaller numbers are faster.

Although CAS latency is given in cycles, when operating RAM at a different frequency it's possible to adjust the CL setting to keep the true delay roughly constant. For example, if you install 1600 MHz CL12 memory in a computer which only supports 1333 MHz memory clocks, it can run at CL10 without exceeding its specifications since both configurations work out to a CL of 7.5 nanoseconds. The computer's firmware often makes this kind of adjustment for you (and in Macs, you have no choice but to rely on it doing so).

If you're worried about performance, match the memory speed to what your computer supports, choose better than bottom tier CAS latency, and install matched pairs. The returns for spending more money diminish rapidly.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

BobHoward posted:

Adding to what's been said, to try to give you a better idea of what these numbers mean, CAS latency refers to the number of memory clock cycles between the computer asking the RAM to read data from an open page, and the RAM actually beginning to clock out data. Smaller numbers are faster.

Although CAS latency is given in cycles, when operating RAM at a different frequency it's possible to adjust the CL setting to keep the true delay roughly constant. For example, if you install 1600 MHz CL12 memory in a computer which only supports 1333 MHz memory clocks, it can run at CL10 without exceeding its specifications since both configurations work out to a CL of 7.5 nanoseconds. The computer's firmware often makes this kind of adjustment for you (and in Macs, you have no choice but to rely on it doing so).

If you're worried about performance, match the memory speed to what your computer supports, choose better than bottom tier CAS latency, and install matched pairs. The returns for spending more money diminish rapidly.

My local stores are charging different prices for them, so I figured I'd get the cheapest. I'm just worried about compatibility mainly.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

dox posted:

The 24" does not work as a target display. The new 27" will, but only with a Thunderbolt source device.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3924

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Mister Macys posted:

My local stores are charging different prices for them, so I figured I'd get the cheapest. I'm just worried about compatibility mainly.

Ah, OK. You don't have much to worry about then, any CAS latency rating should work fine.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Why the gently caress would you advertise the new Mac Pro before movies?

No seriously why would you do that. There's no way they can sell it for a price a normal person would buy it for unless they're planning to sell them at a massive loss.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

wdarkk posted:

No seriously why would you do that. There's no way they can sell it for a price a normal person would buy it for unless they're planning to sell them at a massive loss.

They aren't going to sell them to the people in the movie theaters, but they can still use it to associate all Apple's products with that kind of high-concept technology and engineering.

http://hypercritical.co/2013/03/08/the-case-for-a-true-mac-pro-successor

quote:

One reason is prestige. Though few people can afford to buy a Viper, its mere existence makes the affordable cars from the same manufacturer that have even the mildest bit of sporting pretension slightly more attractive to buyers. Yes, this makes little logical sense, but it’s a very real phenomenon. (There’s a reason the term “halo effect” reportedly dates back to at least 1938.)

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

wdarkk posted:

I dunno, it costs about $45 to go to the movies (with a date) which lasts about 90 minutes so if you've got that kind of coin you can probably plunk down $1999 on a Mac Pro. That's like 45 movies.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

The new Mac Pro is totally going to be at least 5 grand.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

SRQ posted:

5 grand is probably pushing it. I predict starting price of $2999.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Lexicon posted:

5 grand is probably pushing it. I predict starting price of $2999.

Yea, not every machine is going to ship with the 12-core which is probably going to be a $1500 option over say, the base 8 core chip. $1000 for the base Xeon, then throw in the GPU's at $300 each, $300 worth of flash storage, 16GB of DDR3 and that's all you'll really have into it.

They better not ship them with the stupid silver keyboards.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

wdarkk posted:

Well you have Nintendo not even advertising their new things and look how bad that is.

Lets be honest - Apple knows more than us about marketing - they're kings at it. Must be a good reason.

passionate dongs
May 23, 2001

Snitchin' is Bitchin'

wdarkk posted:

The same reason you would advertise a car or tourism to a country or whatever.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

At this point I honestly wonder if Apple marketing actually makes any difference.
Other then "New Apple Thing is coming" ads on TV, but even then word of mouth basically has them covered. News stations often cover the whole "LONG APPLE LINE UP" stories so they get free advertising there too.

cstine
Apr 15, 2004

What's in the box?!?
Well, considering how much it costs to go to see a movie now, I'm sure the market that'd pay $3000 for a computer and the market that sees movies in theaters overlaps quite a bit.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

SRQ posted:

So many people said the exact same thing about the rMBP last year.

We won't know until it launches, but Apple's been on a roll of defying expectations with low prices on new products since the iPad v.1 (remember all of the "No way an Apple tablet will cost less than $999" talk?) and I highly doubt Cook would want to fly in the face of that.

Part of me thinks that the Thunderbolt-hub design of the new Mac Pro is for cost cutting. It'll likely cost more to outfit with the same amount of storage as the old internal bays, but I bet the standalone machine's cheaper.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Part of me thinks that the Thunderbolt-hub design of the new Mac Pro is for cost cutting. It'll likely cost more to outfit with the same amount of storage as the old internal bays, but I bet the standalone machine's cheaper.

This is part of the reason I love this thing. It just does compute. I don't store anything on my computer anymore, everything is in the cloud (music) or on my NAS (wdtvlive hub).

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Bob Morales posted:

Yea, not every machine is going to ship with the 12-core which is probably going to be a $1500 option over say, the base 8 core chip. $1000 for the base Xeon, then throw in the GPU's at $300 each, $300 worth of flash storage, 16GB of DDR3 and that's all you'll really have into it.

The base IVB-E Xeon should actually be 4 cores and about $200 for a low clock speed or $300 for a decent clock speed:

http://www.cpu-world.com/news_2013/2013080801_More_details_on_Intel_Xeon_E5-2600_v2_lineup.html

This is fairly credible information as it looks like what you'd expect from an update of the Sandy Bridge-E/EP line:

http://ark.intel.com/products/codename/33170/Sandy-Bridge-EP?q=Sandy%20Bridge-EP

Personally I'm hoping they'll offer the IVB-E updates to the E5-1620, E5-1650, and E5-1660 in the Mac Pro. The key difference from E5-26xx models is that they support only a single CPU socket (in the 4-digit number, the first digit tells you how many sockets it supports). Not a problem in the new single socket Mac Pro, obviously. And since Intel charges a hefty premium for each tier of enabling more CPU sockets, they're a much cheaper choice for low core counts with high clock speeds than 26xx 2-socket CPUs. Lots of pro users actually would be better off with four to six very fast cores rather than 12 medium speed cores.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Nah. The internal bays cost very little as all the SATA ports came for "free" in Intel's Xeon support chipsets. Apple's cost per bay was a bit of bent-up sheetmetal for the tray, four screws, and the backplane connector and cabling. Not free, but also not expensive. Every pair of Thunderbolt ports on the new machine requires a relatively expensive Thunderbolt controller IC, plus they may need a DisplayPort crossbar switch chip to route video from the GPUs to TB controllers in a flexible way. This is definitely not a cost cutter for Apple.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Electric Bugaloo posted:

So many people said the exact same thing about the rMBP last year.

We won't know until it launches, but Apple's been on a roll of defying expectations with low prices on new products since the iPad v.1 (remember all of the "No way an Apple tablet will cost less than $999" talk?) and I highly doubt Cook would want to fly in the face of that.

Yeah the tendency has certainly not been to be more expensive than previous models. Seeing as the current low end Mac Pro is $2499, I wouldn't put it past them to have a similar price level for the new model on the entry level.

passionate dongs
May 23, 2001

Snitchin' is Bitchin'

BobHoward posted:

Nah. The internal bays cost very little as all the SATA ports came for "free" in Intel's Xeon support chipsets. Apple's cost per bay was a bit of bent-up sheetmetal for the tray, four screws, and the backplane connector and cabling. Not free, but also not expensive. Every pair of Thunderbolt ports on the new machine requires a relatively expensive Thunderbolt controller IC, plus they may need a DisplayPort crossbar switch chip to route video from the GPUs to TB controllers in a flexible way. This is definitely not a cost cutter for Apple.
Honestly, at this point I would be willing to bet that part of the cost is the margin per volume frighted. A Mac Pro with lots of empty drive bays/empty space doesn't make any sense when you're shipping crates of iPhones and iPads. Now the Mac Pro is basically a tiny solid unit of pure computation just like their other devices.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

flavor posted:

Yeah the tendency has certainly not been to be more expensive than previous models. Seeing as the current low end Mac Pro is $2499, I wouldn't put it past them to have a similar price level for the new model on the entry level.

I disagree, the cost of a Mac tower has risen steadily over the last decade.
No reason to assume that Mr. Fusion will buck this trend. Custom PCI-E SSDs and TB controller chips are expensive.

Jam2
Jan 15, 2008

With Energy For Mayhem
I have a Macbook Pro 2011 and a Thunderbolt display. What's the cheapest way to add a DVI monitor? How about adding 2 DVI monitors?

USB-to-DVI external video card? A Thunderbolt peripheral?

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Jam2 posted:

I have a Macbook Pro 2011 and a Thunderbolt display. What's the cheapest way to add a DVI monitor? How about adding 2 DVI monitors?

USB-to-DVI external video card? A Thunderbolt peripheral?

One of these guys perhaps?

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10114&cs_id=1011409&p_id=8118&seq=1&format=2

Jam2
Jan 15, 2008

With Energy For Mayhem

This is subpar because it treats the two connected monitors as one logical display. It cannot be daisy-chained to the Thunderbolt either (because it's a Mini DisplayPort device).

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
USB "video cards" aren't too bad if you just want them for coding/spreadsheets/web browsing etc.

There's no Thunderbolt equivalent unfortunately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jam2
Jan 15, 2008

With Energy For Mayhem

~Coxy posted:

USB "video cards" aren't too bad if you just want them for coding/spreadsheets/web browsing etc.

There's no Thunderbolt equivalent unfortunately.

I guess I might as well just go with the USB video card option. It's $50. Seems like the cheapest way to get the extra real estate.