Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I could die a happy man if I lived in a world where Denny's sponsored Attack on Titan, but alas I will never get to see the Attack on Tastebuds menu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

Hah, all the SnK Doujin that on Batoto right now are Ymir/Christa Shojo Ai:

http://www.batoto.net/comic/_/comics/shingeki-no-kyojin-song-of-prayer-dedicated-to-you-doujinshi-r9805
http://www.batoto.net/comic/_/comics/shingeki-no-kyojin-princess-bride-doujinshi-r9795

Both are mushy pointless poo poo. I wish somebody would come up with a plausible side story with some action.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

AxeBreaker posted:

http://www.batoto.net/comic/_/comics/shingeki-no-kyojin-song-of-prayer-dedicated-to-you-doujinshi-r9805
http://www.batoto.net/comic/_/comics/shingeki-no-kyojin-princess-bride-doujinshi-r9795

Both are mushy pointless poo poo. I wish somebody would come up with a plausible side story with some action.

Hey, now that you mentioned it, I had the idea the other day of drawing a short story about a plucky little town of folks who are "left behind" to defend themselves when Wall Maria is evacuated. Would anyone in this thread be interested in seeing that?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

DrSunshine posted:

Hey, now that you mentioned it, I had the idea the other day of drawing a short story about a plucky little town of folks who are "left behind" to defend themselves when Wall Maria is evacuated. Would anyone in this thread be interested in seeing that?
A story set in one of the walled cities could be cool, yea.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

DrSunshine posted:

Spoiler: They all die.

Joking aside, I'd be interested to see that story.

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

What about a series of vignettes about the 100 survivors of the attempt to retake wall Maria? That would have to be some gory, horrific poo poo.

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

You just gave me a great idea buddy.

AxeBreaker posted:

What about a series of vignettes about the 100 survivors of the attempt to retake wall Maria? That would have to be some gory, horrific poo poo.

Is that the battle the veteran scouting leaders were all in? The ones who survived and devised the secret original plan to capture Annie? Because I think they know more than any of them have cared to share yet with the new recruits.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

DrSunshine posted:

I've always wanted to see a side story of people who were trapped and had to scale the walls and live on top of them somehow. Growing plants and stuff up there or something, maybe distracting Titans with a similar move like they did in Trost while one person sneaks down and harvests whatever goods(or dirt for plants) they can salvage to bring back up top. Probably too unrealistic but eh.

If it opened with two folks sitting on the wall, the sunset off in the distance, leaning against each other romantically(or exhaustedly) and saying "man, the sunset is always the best seen from here, isn't it." and then the next panel the other person says "yeah, but those jerks always ruin the mood." and points, then the scene changes to show them sitting 50 meters above Shiganshina and down to a few dozen titans below them clawing impotently at the wall trying to get them, mouths agape. Then it'd be worth it just for that. Wah wah.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Aug 16, 2013

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Captain Invictus posted:

I've always wanted to see a side story of people who were trapped and had to scale the walls and live on top of them somehow. Growing plants and stuff up there or something, maybe distracting Titans with a similar move like they did in Trost while one person sneaks down and harvests whatever goods(or dirt for plants) they can salvage to bring back up top. Probably too unrealistic but eh.

I assume that the explanation for them not existing is "Ape titan climbed the wall and ate them all"

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

my dad posted:

I assume that the explanation for them not existing is "Ape titan climbed the wall and ate them all"

There's no water on the walls, nor is there an easy way to fertilize whatever soil you managed to drag up there while the titans weren't looking. Surviving in a post-apocalyptic city is hard enough, titans and extremely cramped parapets make it nearly impossible.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Broken Knees Club posted:

There's no water on the walls, nor is there an easy way to fertilize whatever soil you managed to drag up there while the titans weren't looking. Surviving in a post-apocalyptic city is hard enough, titans and extremely cramped parapets make it nearly impossible.

There's water near the wall, however, and a small number of survivors could live in a sort of scavenger-gatherer society, as long as they stay close to the wall when they descend and keep a lookout for titans. Besides, they don't have to enter the cities, there's plenty of wilderness to use. The real problem is surviving the winter. Logging isn't a hit and run activity, at least not at their level of technology, and gathering enough food to last until spring would be a nightmare. Still, it's quite possible that a few people did survive there.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Well, the REAL problem is that they'd run out of 3DMG gas fairly quickly and ladders or whatever aren't really a viable alternative, so they'd need to be lucky and set up camp near a pulley system... Which I guess they'd need to anyway unless it was all military dudes :v:

Also, rain collectors.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
If this can happen in real life, I wouldn't put anything past the people in AOT.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/histo...-188843001.html

Also they could do stuff at night while most Titans were inactive, right? I'm sure The Wall would be useful for spying deer and other animals from above, since Titans don't touch animals!

Also, and maybe I'm misremembering, but aren't there small storehouses periodically along the tops of the walls? I feel like I remember seeing some sort of small constructions up there at some point. Might've just been a storage locker though.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Aug 16, 2013

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Hundreds of tiny tribes, fighting a linear war for territory and resources on top of the wall, with only death awaiting below... This could make a fun story in a different setting.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

You could also spin wall-life or one of the isolated cities as a Miyazaki setting.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

my dad posted:

Hundreds of tiny tribes, fighting a linear war for territory and resources on top of the wall, with only death awaiting below... This could make a fun story in a different setting.
Now I want to see an anime adaptation of Riverworld. (It's a valley and not a wall but you get the idea)

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Jackard posted:

You could also spin wall-life or one of the isolated cities as a Miyazaki setting.

Oddly, I see this perfectly in my head. Of course, they would manage to take what little land they have and make it beautiful and colorful and thriving. There would be no mentions of Titans at all apart from obscenely adorable puppets or something like that.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
No, it'd be happy and wonderful and then something would go real bad in the last ten minutes and everyone would get eaten or forced to flee, and then you would realize there was a Very Deep Message behind it all.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
A walltop community is a cool idea but it would fall apart as soon as an intelligent titan came along or someone found out that the walls (AKA the floor) were made of sleeping colossal titans and everybody freaked out. Then again, maybe the wall cult would be all-powerful in a walltop society and nothing short of complete disintegration would stop them from keeping together and somehow surviving.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I'm saying like, a cobbled together community from survivors after Wall Maria fell, not something that's been around for a long time. Like being stranded on an island, really, since the walls don't connect to each other at any point, so even if you had all of Wall Maria to travel on, it'd still never get you anywhere near the safe zones.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I wonder if there's another village out there somewhere where instead of inside walls, they live underground in tunnels and just have scouts around acting all like Meerkats or something. Or maybe the Titans would sniff them out. But maybe not if they were sealed underground just digging around eating molepigs all day.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

AxeBreaker posted:

Needs more headbutts.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

jonjonaug posted:

Needs more headbutts.

Needs more anything, really.

Winky
Jan 3, 2013

Jimbot posted:

Erin has always been like this. When Erin first met Misaka? Straight up murders two humans. Given they were terrible people, but two wrongs don't make a right. He's perpetuating the cycle of hate and destruction. His mantra worked when the story and antagonists were simplier, but now shades of grey krept in and it doesn't hold much, if any, weight. If his development is overcoming this flaw then that'll be spectacular, but so far he's only had one note and that is "I'm from Buenos Aires, and I say kill 'em all!" and it's boring and tiresome. Armin is better suited to be the main protagonist because he is eager to learn and grow as a character and is better suited as the stand-in for the audience to learn things

I have some hope that Eren's arc will ultimately bring him to let go of his rage. It's the only direction that he can really grow as a character. Hanji's bit about the titan's true nature being different from the human's perception of them, and that fighting a war driven on hatred was getting them nowhere is possibly hinting at this, and the fact that the Armored and Colossal Titans ended up not being some big bads but rather the protagonist's buddies also lends itself to a plot in which the character is led to re-evaluate his blind anger. Armin is definitely the moral center of the group, and consistently he's the one who saves them from disaster, so I think it's safe to say that Armin's outlook is being painted as the more beneficial one.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Winky posted:

I have some hope that Eren's arc will ultimately bring him to let go of his rage. It's the only direction that he can really grow as a character. Hanji's bit about the titan's true nature being different from the human's perception of them, and that fighting a war driven on hatred was getting them nowhere is possibly hinting at this, and the fact that the Armored and Colossal Titans ended up not being some big bads but rather the protagonist's buddies also lends itself to a plot in which the character is led to re-evaluate his blind anger. Armin is definitely the moral center of the group, and consistently he's the one who saves them from disaster, so I think it's safe to say that Armin's outlook is being painted as the more beneficial one.

Also, we're still not clear on how a human gets turned into a Titan, but it seems that even the ferals are once-human victims who really aren't in control of the terrible poo poo they're doing.

MustelaFuro
May 6, 2007

Evolution: Reproduction of the fit enough.

PringleCreamEgg posted:

I wonder if there's another village out there somewhere where instead of inside walls, they live underground in tunnels and just have scouts around acting all like Meerkats or something. Or maybe the Titans would sniff them out. But maybe not if they were sealed underground just digging around eating molepigs all day.

Tree houses! Plus that way they get to poop on titans, and who wouldn't want to do that?

Ataru13
Jul 28, 2005

...Packing Space-Age Shit!

MustelaFuro posted:

Plus that way they get to poop on titans, and who wouldn't want to do that?

:10bux: says there's already an H-doujin somewhere that features that prominently.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Darth Walrus posted:

Also, we're still not clear on how a human gets turned into a Titan, but it seems that even the ferals are once-human victims who really aren't in control of the terrible poo poo they're doing.
Solar powered nano-machines run by alien sasquatch titans.
Wouldn't that just be the biggest plot let-down in the history of manga?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I think I would be okay with it because everyone expects it to be exactly not that.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Say Nothing posted:

Solar powered nano-machines run by alien sasquatch titans.
Wouldn't that just be the biggest plot let-down in the history of manga?

Controlled by the lalilulelo?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_Xe_59iv2w

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
Given the level of foreshadowing and detail that's evident in retrospect, what's the relevance of the snippet at the beginning with the Survey Corps and young Irwin? I have to believe we'll get more detail on it later. I'm wondering if there wasn't something that happened during that expedition that triggered the Shiganshina attack.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

"This woman...she's killed before, and not just once..."

Elotana posted:

Given the level of foreshadowing and detail that's evident in retrospect, what's the relevance of the snippet at the beginning with the Survey Corps and young Irwin? I have to believe we'll get more detail on it later. I'm wondering if there wasn't something that happened during that expedition that triggered the Shiganshina attack.

The way the titan they were attacking looked, I wonder if that was a human titan or something equally tenacious. Or maybe it was acting as a decoy that let the others get the drop on the squad.

I'm not sure how was much was meant to be read into about how ravaged the Corps got during that expedition, but I bet they faced human titans for the first time out there.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Elotana posted:

Wasn't the guy that trains recruits in charge of Survey at the time? And he hands over leadership to Erwin after his repeated failures?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
http://collectiondx.com/news_item/82213/attack_titan_big_stuffed_doll

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

It's a tea strainer and mug.

http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?gcode=CGD2-65869&page=top

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Attack on Titan: 2013's Evangelion

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
This is kinda getting out of hand now.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

HenryEx posted:

This is kinda getting amazing now.

:colbert:

I'm still waiting on the basketball hoop. At that point, merchandising will have served it's purpose in the universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

All of these Bertholdt toys. :allears: I would buy them

Jackard posted:

Wasn't the guy that trains recruits in charge of Survey at the time? And he hands over leadership to Erwin after his repeated failures?
Yep! That was Keith Shadis. He even had hair at the time.