Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.
So this is pretty fantastic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKj5RvcUqUY

dj_clawson fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Aug 16, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

JohnnyCanuck posted:

I know this was a typo but it's also a perfect marketing opportunity.

Hoppy with peppery tones and a slight aftertaste of terror.

Strangely pertinent to the conversation here.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.
Tickets for live Night Vale episode go on sale Tuesday August 20 at noon EST. Be there or...uh...don't be there. http://commonplacebooks.com/night-vale-live-shows

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Don't spoil anything for me, but I just got up to the sandstorm episode and it's wonderful.

To be completely honest, I don't like the voice of Carlos, at all. He has the "feeling" of carlos down pat, but his voice just seems way too...much of a letdown from Cecil.

When he got the call from Carlos the first time, I was like IS IT?? IS IT?! IT IS OMG :gizz: and had such a big stupid goofy grin on my face.

I can't believe I didn't hear about this until my non-not-really-a-goon-but-kinda friend wouldn't shut up about it.

Also: Could there be more ambient stuff playing to set the mood while cecil talks?
Also: I didn't like the Weather at first, but the songs lately have been much better.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Which episode is the one where we actually hear Carlos's voice?

Smeep
Jan 20, 2004

I've been seeing this all over the place, but I had no idea it was a forum member who started it. Definitely going to give it a shot.

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Welp, started listening and now it's 3:20 am good stuff maxnmona!

Necrocult
Oct 18, 2010

Form Fitting
Tumblr fanfic and a buzzfeed post. You've made it now. Everyone buy the H.P. Lovecraft book because its pretty good and delightfully strange.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."
This person has apparently gone through all the episodes and drawn a detailed map of Night Vale based off of the descriptions of where things are in the show. (Click the pictures for big.)

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

My friend made this, who is also a pretty big night vale fan. I thought it was pretty neat.

Action Yak
Nov 9, 2008

Dickeye posted:

Which episode is the one where we actually hear Carlos's voice?

16 - The Phone Call

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

Action Yak Police posted:

16 - The Phone Call

I am not a huge fan of Carlos's voice, which doesn't fit at all what I thought it would be (He's got some kind of non-New York accent that I can't place) but if Jeffrey Cranor wants to do the voice, he can do it all he pleases, because he writes the show.

If anyone feels like getting at their computer and the world, search the tag #whitevale on Tumblr. Oh, no, I see it's been taken down for everyone calling everyone else racists.

Tjadeth
Sep 16, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
VOLUNTEER
:nyan:

dj_clawson posted:

I am not a huge fan of Carlos's voice, which doesn't fit at all what I thought it would be (He's got some kind of non-New York accent that I can't place) but if Jeffrey Cranor wants to do the voice, he can do it all he pleases, because he writes the show.

I love it because, Jesus, no offense, it's endearingly nerdy, but it's so hilariously far out from "oaky tones" that you know either standards of oaky perfection are different in Night Vale, or Cecil's got it bad. Probably both.

a penus
Aug 14, 2004

see you next mission

Tjadeth posted:

I love it because, Jesus, no offense, it's endearingly nerdy, but it's so hilariously far out from "oaky tones" that you know either standards of oaky perfection are different in Night Vale, or Cecil's got it bad. Probably both.

That's why this is one of my favorite pieces of Night vale fanart to date.

AnnaBanana
Oct 15, 2007
2007 Noob. Sorry. :(
I saw this thread a few months ago but was buried under way too many episodes of This American Life to give it a whirl. I kept hearing about it on Tumblr, so I decided to start it up. Took me a couple of episodes to decide whether or not I liked it, but it's really grown on me. I can't wait until t-shirts are back in stock!

Have you kept up with the Tumblr fandom? They all seem annoyingly hooked on Cecil's skin color and "head cannon" theories when I search the "Welcome to Night Vale" tag. :( (My confession: I don't really picture him much because when I listen to your podcast I'm picturing the town. When I do imagine him, he sort of looks like Ira Glass to me.)

AnnaBanana fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Aug 18, 2013

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

AnnaBanana posted:

I saw this thread a few months ago but was buried under way too many episodes of This American Life to give it a whirl. I kept hearing about it on Tumblr, so I decided to start it up. Took me a couple of episodes to decide whether or not I liked it, but it's really grown on me. I can't wait until t-shirts are back in stock!

Have you keep up with the Tumblr fandom? They all seem annoying hooked on Cecil's skin color and "head cannon" theories when I search the "Welcome to Night Vale" tag. :( (My confession: I don't really picture him much because when I listen to your podcast I'm picturing the town. When I do imagine him, he sort of looks like Ira Glass to me.)

We've gotten a few emails about that. There is zero chance we are getting involved in fan arguments about anything though.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

This is worth seeing. Now we just have to pay Cecil to read it. Or Werner Herzog.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

It's okay, but I'd like to know what the hell kind of accent the writer has that makes "air" come anywhere close to rhyming with "fear".

(Disclaimer: I do not actually want to know. Please do not start a 10 page long derail about accents.)

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

I just started listening to this like 3 days ago and I've just now finished the last episode. I saw so many references on Tumblr, and figured SA would have a thread, but it was good to discover it was goon-made :allears:

By the way, the link to the store on the website doesn't seem to work, should that be linking to Topatoco?

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Kazy posted:

I just started listening to this like 3 days ago and I've just now finished the last episode. I saw so many references on Tumblr, and figured SA would have a thread, but it was good to discover it was goon-made :allears:

By the way, the link to the store on the website doesn't seem to work, should that be linking to Topatoco?

Yes. TopatoCo is our official store.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

maxnmona posted:

Yes. TopatoCo is our official store.

Okay, the one at the very top of the page works, but the bigger, more obvious one under the logo doesn't. Or maybe it does? :tinfoil:

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Kazy posted:

Okay, the one at the very top of the page works, but the bigger, more obvious one under the logo doesn't. Or maybe it does? :tinfoil:

Ah, thanks, fixed.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
This is definitely the best playlist on 8tracks that uses the Welcome to Night Vale tag.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

Hey, is it OK to make a Night Vale T-shirt for myself and not sell it to anyone? I want to go as an intern at Comic Con.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Hope you like ice cream shaped styrofoam.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

MariusLecter posted:

Hope you like ice cream shaped styrofoam.

I don't get this reference. I know I should, but I don't.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

dj_clawson posted:

I don't get this reference. I know I should, but I don't.

After Telly cut Carlos's perfect hair, he was abducted and punished, and later seen wandering around, eating an ice cream cone made of styrofoam.

I've listened to this show way too much.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

Dickeye posted:

After Telly cut Carlos's perfect hair, he was abducted and punished, and later seen wandering around, eating an ice cream cone made of styrofoam.

Oh RIGHT. It's hard to look up references from a podcast. Because it's a podcast. Also I'm lazy about finding transcripts.

moechae
Apr 11, 2007

lolwhat

dj_clawson posted:

Oh RIGHT. It's hard to look up references from a podcast. Because it's a podcast. Also I'm lazy about finding transcripts.

Speaking of which, are there any official or unoffical transcripts around? I think I remember the op saying there wasn't really transcrips...I just love the openings and endings for the shows and wish I had them written sometimes.

mania
Sep 9, 2004

moechae posted:

Speaking of which, are there any official or unoffical transcripts around? I think I remember the op saying there wasn't really transcrips...I just love the openings and endings for the shows and wish I had them written sometimes.

http://nightvale.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Fan-Made_Transcripts

And

http://rubato.tumblr.com/post/55558758191/welcome-to-night-vale-transcripts

mania fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Aug 20, 2013

moechae
Apr 11, 2007

lolwhat

Thanks a bunch!

Action Yak
Nov 9, 2008

Dickeye posted:

I thought that was Steve Carlsberg/Carlsburg?

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Action Yak Police posted:

I thought that was Steve Carlsberg/Carlsburg?

That was, and it was done by the secret police:

Episode six - the drawbridge posted:

Apparently, The Sheriff’s Secret Police agree with me about old Steve Carlsberg. Dear listeners, we just received a report from a reliable witness that two days ago, Steve was whisked into the back of a windowless van, only to reappear earlier this morning, wearing thick head bandages and eating styrofoam shaped like an ice cream cone.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Dickeye posted:

As addressed, that was actually that huge jerk Steve Carlsburg, who just wouldn't shut up at the Night Vale PTA meetings.

Telly...treacherous Telly, who shorn the beautiful hair from the beautiful head of our favorite resident outsider, Carlos, was subjected to a far more archaic and damning fate. Telly was last reported roaming the sand wastes, shrieking angrily at the sky and, presumably, attempting to give a cactus a haircut.

I started re-listening to the series, and this was in one of the earlier episodes. I think Telly's last appearance was shrieking at 'You' as the car drove into the sand wastes in Ep. 13.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Tickets on sale at noon EST: http://commonplacebooks.com/night-vale-live-shows

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

Dude did you know there is a $26 service fee?

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

dj_clawson posted:

Dude did you know there is a $26 service fee?

Maybe read it again. Also tickets on sale now go go go go

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

maxnmona posted:

Maybe read it again. Also tickets on sale now go go go go

Yeah I was reading that wrong, sorry to bother you.

KingJackalope
Aug 10, 2007
More than a rabbit?
Hahah wow, Jesus. I was going to get Eternal Scout but they sold out in the first minute. Snagged some general seating though. Congratulations you guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Yeah, we just sold out a 450 capacity theater in 30 seconds. Um....