Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

LastInLine posted:

I had the same error and reverted before fixing it but if I had to tell you what to try, I'd say flash the nightly again, then the GApps, then reboot.

I did the same as you and flashed dirty with no GApps so I think that's what causes it.

I flashed dirty with GApps and I was having that error, plus everything included with GApps constantly crashing and giving runtime errors. I had to do a wipe + fresh install of 10.2 to fix it.

Its possible GApps failed to install the first time for some reason and I didn't notice though, I wasn't really paying attention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManDingo
Jun 1, 2001
I just bought a HTC Sensation 4G off of ebay after I fried my last one running in a hailstorm (funny story for another day). The guy said it was unlocked. When I load up the bootscreen I see this:

PYRAMID PVT SHIP S-OFF RL
HBOOT-1.27.1100
RADIO-11.24A.3504.31_M
OPENADSP-v05.6.0.2226.00.0418
eMMC-boot

I thought you were supposed to see **UNLOCKED** on the first line according to this guide: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1192300

Is it safe to assume I can proceed to step 2 - Install Recovery and continue with the guide since I already have S-OFF?

e: Forget it I got it rooted and flashed.

ManDingo fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Aug 15, 2013

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Wagonburner posted:

And to get that to show up you have to tap on build # in about phone a few times.

That's.... so stupid.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

That's.... so stupid.
It's almost like the Developer Options are only supposed to be discovered by developers.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Konjuro posted:

I flashed dirty with GApps and I was having that error, plus everything included with GApps constantly crashing and giving runtime errors. I had to do a wipe + fresh install of 10.2 to fix it.

Its possible GApps failed to install the first time for some reason and I didn't notice though, I wasn't really paying attention.
I haven't had time to do a full wipe for CM10.2 but it seems like that just happens with dirty flashes sometimes judging by xda threads.

Zweihander01
May 4, 2009

Konjuro posted:

I followed method 2 from this article and it let me use the Store. http://appslova.com/android-fix-rpcs-5aec-0-error-while-updating-or-installing-apps-google-play-store/

I had to uninstall and reinstall a bunch of google apps to keep them from crashing; pretty much everything but gmail, calendar, and search.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Tunga posted:

It's almost like the Developer Options are only supposed to be discovered by developers.

That's not even "discoverable" though. That's just mashing on a random thing that doesn't even look like a touchable button. And they buried a setting that you need pretty often when running a custom rom for no reason.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

That's not even "discoverable" though. That's just mashing on a random thing that doesn't even look like a touchable button. And they buried a setting that you need pretty often when running a custom rom for no reason.

They figure if you really want to access those options you will be able to :google: and find out where to look.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
10.2 fixed tethering not working when LTE is enabled for me, just as my carrier is finally rolling out LTE in my area.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Android developers can use the Android Developers website to find out.

Or Google for "android developer options" and find this as the second result.

These options are not supposed to be used, or even found, by consumers. It's actually a really great piece of design.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Hey if you've got an HTC One, the Trickdroid guy finally updated his rom. I've tried a few different roms and I've found this is the best one.

Edit: I'm using the sense based rom, can't give up that nice camera.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Tunga posted:

Android developers can use the Android Developers website to find out.

Or Google for "android developer options" and find this as the second result.

These options are not supposed to be used, or even found, by consumers. It's actually a really great piece of design.

Except for the part where basically every rooted user needs to get to recovery on a regular basis but they hid it from the power menu by default and buried the option to turn it on in a secret menu behind a not-button.

If the developer options was seriously 100% "Here be dragons", I wouldn't find it dumb, but they buried an actual useful setting in there that used to just be on by default.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Except for the part where basically every rooted user needs to get to recovery on a regular basis but they hid it from the power menu by default and buried the option to turn it on in a secret menu behind a not-button.

If the developer options was seriously 100% "Here be dragons", I wouldn't find it dumb, but they buried an actual useful setting in there that used to just be on by default.

You only need to get to recovery if you want to do something that 99% of phone purchasers will never dream of doing, which is manually install a firmware update or install a completely different firmware.

And if you're really desperate, most phones have a button combination to get you there without enabling the developer options.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

nimper posted:

You only need to get to recovery if you want to do something that 99% of phone purchasers will never dream of doing, which is manually install a firmware update or install a completely different firmware.

And if you're really desperate, most phones have a button combination to get you there without enabling the developer options.

We are posting in the Rooted Android thread. That option should not be hidden by default in a custom rom (which you can only run if you are rooted). That's all I'm saying.

And as I said, the button combo is next to impossible to press reliably through an otterbox.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

I'm mostly with you on how complicated it is to get to in Cyanogen they should have it on (reboot menu) by default (they used to) dev options on by default even too. I do see the point of other people though that aosp should have it hidden somewhat.

edit: I didn't even know reboot menu was an option that turned on/off, I thought I lost it when I flashed 10.1, then I had to get in to dev options to enable something else one time and saw it there.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Aug 15, 2013

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

We are posting in the Rooted Android thread. That option should not be hidden by default in a custom rom (which you can only run if you are rooted). That's all I'm saying.

And as I said, the button combo is next to impossible to press reliably through an otterbox.
CM has been trying to move towards being a usable consumer alternative rather than a thing for XDA spergs. I guess I can see your point but the counter argument would be: most people who flash a custom mod will have worked out how to turn ADB on first. By the time you're on CM you already know how to get to Developer Options. Unless you're on some really old device, I guess.

Well, whatever, it doesn't seem like something to get particularly excited about. Google hid it for a good reason, CM added some stuff there, you find out how to turn it on with a trivial Google search.

BothSides
Jul 14, 2010
Okay so I'm totally lost on this. Any help would be really appreciated!

I have an HTC Sensation. I have been trying to follow this guide. I did the whole "disable fast boot and hold down-volume and power button" I got the boot screen, and I have version 1.18.0000.

Got the serial, plugged in the stuff and got the beta key. But when I open up Revolutionary it is stuck on "Waiting for device..."

Edit: After hours of fooling around, I seem to have got it. I'm going through the backup and stuff now, hopefully no more roadblocks.

Edit #2: So I ended up with a Google Play Card that is from the US (I'm in Canada). I've looked high and low and it sounds like Market Enabler used to work but doesn't anymore? And the only way to redeem it is to make a different US email and VPN and all that. Is there any better way?

BothSides fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Aug 17, 2013

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I have root access set to apps and ADB, but apps are still complaining that they aren't getting superuser permission. CM10.2.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I have a stock S4 (factory unlocked I9505) running 4.2.2. Should I root it as I want to get rid of all these poo poo samsung apps?

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

Guillermus posted:

I have a stock S4 (factory unlocked I9505) running 4.2.2. Should I root it as I want to get rid of all these poo poo samsung apps?

If you can't/aren't content with just disabling them from Settings>Apps then yeah you'd wanna root.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I don't want them to show on my apps on the store so I can happily enable auto update when connected to WiFi. So you're right, I need to root. Any guide or recommendation for a stock S4?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

hooah posted:

I have root access set to apps and ADB, but apps are still complaining that they aren't getting superuser permission. CM10.2.

I had that happening on my Kindle Fire on the first boot, SetCPU couldn't get root but DriveDroid could. For whatever reason a reboot resolved it.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

wolrah posted:

I had that happening on my Kindle Fire on the first boot, SetCPU couldn't get root but DriveDroid could. For whatever reason a reboot resolved it.

Yeah, I just did a CyanDelta update and things are working fine (well, apart from Google Voice intercepting all texts to my non-GV number, but that's a separate issue).

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

hooah posted:

Last time I had that problem with CM's built in SU, I had to delete all of my apps from SU and reboot, then reapprove them the first time they each requested root.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Guillermus posted:

I don't want them to show on my apps on the store so I can happily enable auto update when connected to WiFi. So you're right, I need to root. Any guide or recommendation for a stock S4?

If you disable them they won't show up anywhere.

SuzieMcAwesome
Jul 27, 2011

A lady should be two things, Classy and fabulous. Unfortunately, you my dear are neither.
I have a Nook Color that I have had for a while that I have not really done much with but, I am thinking of getting a microSD to convert it to an Android tablet. Does anyone have a suggestion as to the best option. I have wanted a tablet but I will not use it enough to justify paying several hundred dollars on one. I found this site that allows you to either buy the download or to buy a preloaded MicroSD. I am looking for any suggestions that you guys have!

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Titanium Backup has recently started complaining that there isn't enough free storage. I had ~4 GB free, then did some clean-up and now I have a bit over 5 GB free, and still can't back stuff up.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hooah posted:

Titanium Backup has recently started complaining that there isn't enough free storage. I had ~4 GB free, then did some clean-up and now I have a bit over 5 GB free, and still can't back stuff up.
Change the backup location from /storage/emulated/0/TitaniumBackup to /storage/emulated/legacy/TitaniumBackup

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

LastInLine posted:

Change the backup location from /storage/emulated/0/TitaniumBackup to /storage/emulated/legacy/TitaniumBackup

Looks like that did the trick. Thanks!

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

big mean giraffe posted:

If you disable them they won't show up anywhere.

No they still show up in the play store, you just have the option to enable them from there. I don't think they will auto-update if they are disabled, though. Not positive about that.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
Trickdroid 9 + RomCleaner = awesome.

My HTC One has never felt soooo smooth.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

WastedJoker posted:

Trickdroid 9 + RomCleaner = awesome.

My HTC One has never felt soooo smooth.

Does that romcleaner thing actually do anything?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

SuzieMcAwesome posted:

I have a Nook Color that I have had for a while that I have not really done much with but, I am thinking of getting a microSD to convert it to an Android tablet. Does anyone have a suggestion as to the best option. I have wanted a tablet but I will not use it enough to justify paying several hundred dollars on one. I found this site that allows you to either buy the download or to buy a preloaded MicroSD. I am looking for any suggestions that you guys have!

Don't pay money to put CM on a Nook Color. Go to the xda sub forum and do a bit of reading. I did this with a Nook and it was laggy as hell but mostly usable. I upgraded to a Nexus 7 shortly after and don't regret spending the money at all.

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

I was thinking of picking up a Galaxy Note II to run ParanoidAndroid on, but some light Googling suggests that AOSP-based ROMs are kind of a shitshow on Exynos4 devices and that the source code Samsung put out was pretty half-assed. Can anyone speak to this in a practical sense for the Note II?

I found a thread on XDA where people weighed in on TouchWiz ROMs vs. AOSP-based ROMs for the Note II with a consensus that seems to lean toward sticking with TW stuff. A moderator of course closed the thread before it got a chance to become terribly useful. Thanks, XDA!

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

Google Butt posted:

Does that romcleaner thing actually do anything?

Yeah, you run it straight after flashing it can remove a lot of bloatware/apps you don't use.

It's a bit of a faff editing your custom file though.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

kbar posted:

I was thinking of picking up a Galaxy Note II to run ParanoidAndroid on, but some light Googling suggests that AOSP-based ROMs are kind of a shitshow on Exynos4 devices and that the source code Samsung put out was pretty half-assed. Can anyone speak to this in a practical sense for the Note II?

I found a thread on XDA where people weighed in on TouchWiz ROMs vs. AOSP-based ROMs for the Note II with a consensus that seems to lean toward sticking with TW stuff. A moderator of course closed the thread before it got a chance to become terribly useful. Thanks, XDA!

I'm running CM 10.1 and I miss the motion controls that were built into touchwiz. Only reason I'm not switching back is I want to use the casting feature when it comes out.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

I tried running GE 4.3 on my One but I just can't live without the Sense stuff :(

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

WastedJoker posted:

I tried running GE 4.3 on my One but I just can't live without the Sense stuff :(

Me either, I won't even consider running a ge rom based on the camera alone. Try the sense version of trickdroid.

revolther
May 27, 2008
I miss the sense contacts app, merging contacts was nice and I've yet to find something that does it as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

kbar posted:

The source code for the hardware is what lets developers work out all the kinks to make Android run properly. If the code isn't complete, is commented poorly, or is made terribly in the first place then it's going to be difficult or impossible to get 100% of Android's functions to work properly. Then non-TouchWiz ROMs are built for Samsung devices, a dev has to take the AOSP code, and jam in the Exynos parts where it's needed. Sometimes those Exynos parts don't fit properly, and if the source code is terrible then it can't be adapted to fit.

Hell, even on Snapdragon S4 variants of the SGS3, the drat phone plays a hell of a lot nicer on Touchwiz than on AOSP ROMs. As irritating as TW gets, there's no question that battery life on the phone is so much nicer if you stick with Touchwiz and just strip out/disable the parts you don't need.