Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

BULBASAUR posted:

Another painting thread cross post- could you folks give me some feedback? I’m trying to make an army that looks like iron warriors who've been in 100s of battles during the crusade, got lost in the warp, then suddenly appeared in 40k. This is my final test model. After this I’m gona’ paint a bunch of expensive resin so critiques are really welcome.

I’m less happy with this guy than the dude I painted before him. He’s just not as clean and my highlights didn’t pop as much. I’d love feedback though:

Now I’m finally going to paint my iron warriors legion. Gods help me. I need to learn how to take photos along the way.

The gunslinger in me is cringing at the cross draw pistol holster. The paint job? Looks great and dirty for the first one! This isn't your first trip to the painting rodeo is it? Looks pretty decent but boy howdy you picked some expensive models to start with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
It just really upset me that the difference in range between the Lord and the regular Terminator was barely a hairs breath, and the Template landed 7" away from the lord as well. This was after I watched him spend 5 minutes moving the drat squad around so he had just the right angle to make the Lord the closest model.

I really need to invest some money into some Rhinos and a Land Raider for my Iron Warriors; every time I've deepstruck the Lord and Terminators, it ends up really poorly. They've never misshaped and almost always land right where I want them, but the turn after they come on, something comes out and destroyed them and there's 500+ points down the drain.

Anyways, I have read the Monstrous Flying creatures rules a bunch of times, and I'm still not clear on how they work in regards of getting into close combat; I choose to glide in a turn, then I can make a swoop move, but that doesn't bring them into CC, but I do get to do a vector strike, but I don't get to actually engage in CC until the next turn?

I haven't used my Space Wolves in over a year, so I'm thinking of taking them out to the dog park, but how have they fared under 6th?

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.
Not sure if you forgot that you can LoSir on your ICs on a 2+. So even if they are first to allocate to they can pass wounds(before you make any saving throws) onto the closest model as long as there is one within 6" of the character.

And FMC is easy once you understand how you change modes and what each mode does:

If you deploy on the board you must be Gliding.

If you deepstrike, when you arrive from reserve you choose gliding or swooping.

When you move the model you can change from swooping to gliding or from gliding to swooping.

When you decide to swoop they must fly 12-24" in a direction, then if they decide to 'Run!' then they continue straight, and next turn's movement is limited to 90deg turn then straight movement, much like vehicle flyers.

When swooping you may vectorstrike units and you are 'Hard to Hit' but you may not assault units in a turn you are swooping. Though if you fail a grounding check you are changed to Gliding and may be assaulted by enemies and lose your "Hard to Hit".

If you decide to stay or trasnition into gliding then you move 0-12" like jump models and may assault but you lose the ability to vector strike and "hard to hit"

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

twistedmentat posted:

It just really upset me that the difference in range between the Lord and the regular Terminator was barely a hairs breath, and the Template landed 7" away from the lord as well. This was after I watched him spend 5 minutes moving the drat squad around so he had just the right angle to make the Lord the closest model.

I really need to invest some money into some Rhinos and a Land Raider for my Iron Warriors; every time I've deepstruck the Lord and Terminators, it ends up really poorly. They've never misshaped and almost always land right where I want them, but the turn after they come on, something comes out and destroyed them and there's 500+ points down the drain.

Anyways, I have read the Monstrous Flying creatures rules a bunch of times, and I'm still not clear on how they work in regards of getting into close combat; I choose to glide in a turn, then I can make a swoop move, but that doesn't bring them into CC, but I do get to do a vector strike, but I don't get to actually engage in CC until the next turn?

I haven't used my Space Wolves in over a year, so I'm thinking of taking them out to the dog park, but how have they fared under 6th?

You just had some bad luck really, 2+ look out sir should have been fine but you also could have deepstruck with the lord in the centre of the unit so he would never have been the closest.

As was mentioned a couple pages back, delivering chaos terminators/lords is a tough game. You either fork out for a chaos land raider, deal with the unreliability of deep strike, foot slog and potentially get avoided or fork out points for Huron and infiltrate. No solution is ideal really.

MFC rules are pretty simple. At the start of your turn choose if you're swooping or gliding. If you're swooping you move, more or less, like a zooming flyer, you can vector strike but you can't assault. If you choose to glide you move as if you had a jump pack.

Space wolves have gotten a bit nerfed. They have no flyers and the changes to split fire have made long fangs less fun. On the other hand Jaws of the world wolf.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
Losing 8 mega armoured nobs to jaws is just heart breaking. Having said that, I feel that living lightning is a better choice if you aren't bluing with orks or nids. Or daemons I suppose.

Actually I just realised how hilarious it would be casting jaws on riptides and wraith knights.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Big Willy Style posted:

Losing 8 mega armoured nobs to jaws is just heart breaking. Having said that, I feel that living lightning is a better choice if you aren't bluing with orks or nids. Or daemons I suppose.

Actually I just realised how hilarious it would be casting jaws on riptides and wraith knights.

I lost a squad of 5 meganobz to a unit of dire avengers it broke my heart.

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

cat with hands posted:

You have a solid foundation. However, there's no reason to spend more on troops than you have to if your troops aren't that good , and battle sisters aren't very good. If you are open to allies consider spending your points there instead to get better value.

You've already maxed out your FA and HS, and that's where your best units are. Are you making a proper 2k list with double force org charts? You'll probably need at least one more scoring unit but definitely pump more points in FA and HS if you can.

For just padding the single force org I'd suggest filling out the retributor squad (rending bolters can be real handy) and maybe buy another immolator.

Also consider a second HQ to make a battle sister squad either fearless or stubborn. A 10+ unit of those will take some serious firepower to shift.

I'm probably not going the dual force org chart route simply because after buying two more troops and an HQ I'd barely have room in the list for one more Exorcist or Retributor squad. Even on foot I'd be paying around 135 per Sister Squad after special weapons, so I'd be looking at 495 points for two squads, Jacobus, and an Exorcist. I was thinking of either grabbing one more Battle Sister squad in a rhino with meltas/combi melta, and then getting a battle enclave with jacobus to give me some melee punch and using my remaining points to fill out the rest of my squads, or allying guard for two plasmavet squads and a vendetta carrying a CCS with meltas.

cat with hands
Mar 14, 2006

When I shit I like to scream "WORSHIP THE GOD EMPEROR ON HIS GOLDEN THRONE." Mom hates it.

Mef989 posted:

...or allying guard for two plasmavet squads and a vendetta carrying a CCS with meltas.

With guard you can squeeze in both a manticore and a vendetta with some points to spare.

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004
Finally finished some Sanguinary Guard I've had for over a year and a half. After the work required just to paint five models any desire to do a Sanguinary Guard BA army has gone completely out the window. But at least they look cool.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Great job on the wings, but hit that gold with a wash. It looks like you want a really light, burnished look to them, but the recesses could use some shading. You could follow it up with with a gold drybrush and even a silver highlight. I know it's more work but it might help and given your job on the wings I don't think it'll be a problem. :)

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Safety Factor posted:

Great job on the wings, but hit that gold with a wash. It looks like you want a really light, burnished look to them, but the recesses could use some shading. You could follow it up with with a gold drybrush and even a silver highlight. I know it's more work but it might help and given your job on the wings I don't think it'll be a problem. :)

yeah, a sepia wash on the gold will do wonders

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004
I'll have to try that out on a test spot somewhere. The gold paint is Vallejo Liquid gold so any stray wash will ruin the reflective surface of the paint which is something I don't want; these models I specifically want shiny what with BA having super ornate armor and arms. The models have more shading depth to them but my camera phone isn't picking it up at all. I can see where in the knee crosses and some of the recesses the copper undercoat was painted over.

Pacheeco fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Aug 17, 2013

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe
Has anyone seen the Black Legion codex? Any specific details.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me

Cataphract posted:

Has anyone seen the Black Legion codex? Any specific details.

In your primary detachment, you can take Chosen as troops without needing Abaddon.
All units must take Veterans of Long War.
If you have Abaddon in your army, you can upgrade one terminator squad into The Bringers of Despair. Each of them cost +6 points but they gain +1 to WS and BS.
Black Legion can ally with Chaos Space Marines as Battle Brothers.

New Artefacts

New Daemon Sword, slightly cheaper than the Axe of a Blind Fury, that gives a bonus to initiative.
An artefact that allows the bearer to fire an unlimited range large blast that scores D3 automatic penetrating hits to any vehicle it touches once per game.
Psyker-only artefact increases the bearer's mastery by 1, though it doesn't allow him to generate another power - instead it gives him a Nova power that increases range with more points for Warp Charge.
An artefact that gives Eternal Warrior and Adamanitium Will.

Warlord Traits

1. Black Crusader
2. Rerolls to Chaos Boon table for the Warlord.
3. A one-use Flamer. Woo.
4. Warlord has IWND.
5. Attacks have a chance of causing Instant Death.
6. Friendly units near the Warlord have Stubborn.

4 Heldrakes :woop:

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
As someone who really likes the flexibility of Chosen, this is a pretty cool option. Also being able to double-ally CSM just in time for the new double-ally SM codex makes things a little more fair.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

Artifacts

1. S:user, AP3, +1I, Daemon Weapon, Melee

2. -1T, re-roll ones for invuln saves

3. Psyker only - Warp charge 1-3, each charge after the first extends range by 6". If the psyker fails his psychic test when using two+ warp charges, he poofs. Nova, Range 6", S4 AP5 Assault 2d6, Blind, Ignore cover.

4. One use, Range: infinite S5 AP4 Heavy 1, Large Blast, Ignores Cover. Instead of making armor pen rolls, models with armor values take d3 penetrating hits

5. grants the bearer eternal warrior and adamantium will

6. Hand of darkness as per iPad teaser

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

PierreTheMime posted:

As someone who really likes the flexibility of Chosen, this is a pretty cool option. Also being able to double-ally CSM just in time for the new double-ally SM codex makes things a little more fair.

I'm a big Chosen fan too, so getting rid of the need to take Abaddon to run them as troops sounds great.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Lungboy posted:

I'm a big Chosen fan too, so getting rid of the need to take Abaddon to run them as troops sounds great.

do chosen have VotLW by default?

Also, can you still take a marked lord and unlock cult troops?

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

Cataphract posted:

do chosen have VotLW by default?

Nope, it's loving two points a piece, making them 20 points each.

Cataphract posted:

Also, can you still take a marked lord and unlock cult troops?

I don't see anything preventing you from doing so. If there was something explicitly forbidding it I'm sure we'd have heard something by now.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Chosen and Noise Marines as troops in the same army, with a Slaaneshi biker Lord sounds like a pretty solid core.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Lungboy posted:

Chosen and Noise Marines as troops in the same army, with a Slaaneshi biker Lord sounds like a pretty solid core.
It's a shame about the VotLW tax... especially on fearless units.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

Jcam posted:

I just finished stripping sixteen genestealers and a broodlord, this breaks my heart. Welp, back to painting endless tides of termagants then.
Min-sized 'Stealer squads with a Broodlord aren't awful; for a pretty reasonable price, you get two Biomancy or Telepathy powers. There's some blank ones in both charts, but all in all your chances are pretty good with Telepathy and it gets you some nice stuff.

cat with hands posted:

7th ed wishlisting; bring back target priority! Makes sense from a fluff standpoint and gives more depth to the game.
Target Priority was a really annoying rule, because it meant every shooting attack had one more step involved. I'm fine with weakening shooting a bit overall, but making the game slower and more annoying is not really the way to go, I think.

Big Willy Style posted:

Wraithknights are I5, so they don't care so much, but Riptides hate Jaws. I fairly often have my Farseer hang in his unit specifically to avoid those sorts of things.

Cataphract posted:

It's a shame about the VotLW tax... especially on fearless units.
Eh, there aren't that many Fearless guys in the codex, and you are still getting something out of it (Hatred), so it's not so bad. It's the price you pay instead of 275 for Abby in the warlord slot, which I will gladly take.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

AbusePuppy posted:

Eh, there aren't that many Fearless guys in the codex, and you are still getting something out of it (Hatred), so it's not so bad. It's the price you pay instead of 275 for Abby in the warlord slot, which I will gladly take.

All cult units are fearless; paying an extra point for each noise marine or plague marine kinda blows... I'd rather have an extra plasma gun or two in my army.

Hatred(SM) only makes a difference when actually playing SM... Also, hatred isn't a terribly great rule... Preferred enemy on the other hand.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Other than the "ally with yourself" gimmick, it doesn't seem that fun. Chosen are still really expensive (more so with the added VotLW) and lack a good delivery system. No new movement or Deep Strike options, no fix to the horrible chaos psy-disciplines, no new named HQs to mix it up a bit.

I know dealing with all of that (namely fixing the CSM book) is a tall order, but one or two steps in that direction would have been nice. Seems that their fix is "More Helldrakes!".

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe
If the death guard book turns out to just be zombies without typhus, plague marines without a marked lord and a bunch of plaguey artifacts and fetid warlord table I will be so happy.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Cataphract posted:

If the death guard book turns out to just be zombies without typhus, plague marines without a marked lord and a bunch of plaguey artifacts and fetid warlord table I will be so happy.

Is this a joke/wishful thinking or are further chaos splatbooks going to be forthcoming?

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

BULBASAUR posted:

Another painting thread cross post- could you folks give me some feedback? I’m trying to make an army that looks like iron warriors who've been in 100s of battles during the crusade, got lost in the warp, then suddenly appeared in 40k. This is my final test model. After this I’m gona’ paint a bunch of expensive resin so critiques are really welcome.

I’m less happy with this guy than the dude I painted before him. He’s just not as clean and my highlights didn’t pop as much. I’d love feedback though:

Now I’m finally going to paint my iron warriors legion. Gods help me. I need to learn how to take photos along the way.

I'm digging it, get painting on that resin.

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe
My cousin linked me this (tiny) teaser of that upcoming 40k game and I didn't see it in the thread so: http://www.eternalcrusade.com/

At least it looks like they've nailed the atmosphere. :black101:

edit:

NTRabbit posted:

I dunno, the Chaos guy sounds a little pansy, and the Eldar a little Chaos

As much as I love the general fruitiness of the Eldar, there's nothing wrong with actually having them sound menacing at times.

Soulfucker fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Aug 17, 2013

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

So since I've finally got both my Horrors and Plaguebearers painted and tabletop-ready I should start thinking seriously about my next Daemons purchase. I am a total rookie at this game (never played, just painted) so I'm not sure how to make a solid 500 point list for a fun game of plastic mans. Using Battlescribe I've found that if I purchase the Burning Chariot and use the kit to make a Herald of Tzeentch + an Exalted Flamer in Burning Chariot, I can make what seems to be an ok-ish 500 point list. Getting a Heavy unit and a Herald seems to be a very good bargain for the price. I'm worried however that I'll have too few models, but I understand that Daemons units are a bit expensive points-wise so this might just be normal. The thing is that I only have 10 Horrors and 10 Plaguebearers, and would rather not invest in more troops just yet, which is why I instead spent points on upgrading the units. But maybe that is just redundant and useless. I'd love some critique and tips on how to improve the list:

---500 points Chaos Daemons---

HQ - 110 pts

Herald of Tzeentch - 45 pts
-Exalted Daemonic Reward 30 pts
-Lesser Locus of Transmogrification 10 pts
-Psyker level 2 25 pts

Troops - 255 pts

Horrors of Tzeentch - 135 pts
10xPink Horrors - 90 pts
-Icon of Chaos 10 pts
-Instrument of Chaos 10 pts
-Iridescent Horror 5 pts
-Greater Daemonic Reward 20 pts

Plaguebearers of Nurgle - 125 pts
10xPlaguebearers - 90 pts
-Icon of Chaos 10 pts
-Instrument of Chaos 10 pts
-Plagueridden 5 pts
-Lesser Daemonic Reward 10 pts

Heavy Support - 135 pts

Burning Chariot of Tzeentch w/ Exalted Flamer - 100 pts
-Blue Horror Crew - 10 pts
-Greater Daemonic Reward 20 pts

Total: 500/500 points.

I have no idea whether this is poo poo or not. The Daemonic Rewards on the Champions in the Troops units seems to me like it might be a waste. Can the Herald join the Horror unit and thus give me 11 Horrors and more Warp Carge points? I think all rewards should be legal, within the limits of what each model/unit can take, but I might have missed something regarding that. Anyway, all feedback is really appreciated, especially considering how I can make relatively investments in what models next to purchase.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.

UberJumper posted:

Going to play my first 1850 point game tommorow. Can anyone critique this army list?

code:
+++ IG (1850pts) +++
+++ 1850pt Imperial Guard 5th Ed by TC, Fortifications Roster (Primary Detachment, Fortification)) +++

Selections:

Imperial Guard 5th Ed by TC (Primary Detachment) Selections:

+ HQ + (170pts)

* Company Command Squad (170pts) 
        Autocannon (10pts), Master of Ordnance (30pts), Meltagun (10pts), Regimental Standard (15pts)
        * Chimera (55pts) 
            Heavy Bolter, Multi-laser
        * Company Commander
            Close Combat Weapon, Laspistol

+ Troops + (765pts)

* Infantry Platoon (205pts) 
        * Infantry Squad (75pts) 
            Autocannon (10pts), Plasma Gun (15pts)
            * Sergeant
        * Infantry Squad (75pts) 
            * Sergeant
        * Platoon Command Squad (55pts) 
            * Platoon Commander

* Veteran Squad (165pts) 
        Autocannon (10pts), 4x Lasgun, 3x Meltagun (30pts)
        * Chimera (55pts) 
        * Veteran Sergeant

* Veteran Squad (115pts) 
        6x Lasgun, 3x Plasma Gun (45pts)
        * Veteran Sergeant

* Veteran Squad (115pts) 
        6x Lasgun, 3x Plasma Gun (45pts)
        * Veteran Sergeant

* Veteran Squad (165pts) 
        Autocannon (10pts), 4x Lasgun, 3x Meltagun (30pts)
        * Chimera (55pts) 
        * Veteran Sergeant

+ Fast Attack + (260pts)

* Vendetta Gunship Squadron (130pts) 
        * Vendetta (130pts) 
            2 Twin-linked Lascannons

* Vendetta Gunship Squadron (130pts) 
        * Vendetta (130pts) 
            2 Twin-linked Lascannons

+ Heavy Support + (555pts)

* Leman Russ Squadron (230pts) 
        * Leman Russ Executioner (230pts) 
            Heavy Bolter, Plasma Cannons (40pts)

* Leman Russ Squadron (165pts) 
        * Leman Russ Demolisher (165pts) 
            Heavy Bolter

* Manticore Rocket Launcher (160pts) 
        Heavy Bolter

Fortifications (Fortification) Selections:

+ Fortification + (100pts)

* Aegis Defense Line (100pts) 
        Gun emplacement with quad-gun (50pts)

Two of the vet squads ride in Vendettas.

Game has probably been played by now, but:
-drop sponsors on executioner. 5 gets hot rolls a turn is too many and firing all sponsors is rare.
-drop the quad gun. 50 pts is too much - use orders to twin link a HWT for 2 more shots on target for cheaper.
-veterans are mobile and don't need the autocannons
-your CCS is too expensive. Drop the master of ordnance and the autocannon. Its 5 GEQ.

You need more warm bodies in 1850. Conscripts? Commissars?
With guard keep the basic dudes cheap and utilise orders to augment them.

AgentF
May 11, 2009

Bolverkur posted:

---500 points Chaos Daemons---

A few points for you to consider:

1) You definately want to give that Tzeentch Herald the Exalted Locus and stick him with that Horror squad. Turning 4D6 S6 shots into 4D6 S7 shots is no small upgrade. You gave him Mastery Level 2, which is great because you want to cast Prescience on the Herald/Horror group.

2) The Irridescent Horror is interesting because I think you can nominate him to cast the witchfire power, which then gives it Precision Shots. Goons correct me if something says this is not the case. Additionally the Greater Gift can be used to give him the Mutating Warpblade, which is interesting because it's phrased in a way that merely holding the item is enough for slain enemy characters to turn into spawns. I.e. You don't actually have to kill the enemy character with the blade itself, you can instead just be holding it and blast him with Flickering Fire and if he dies he'll turn into a Spawn on a 2+. Free spawns at 500pt games are no joke.

3) Your banners are probably not going to see much use, except maybe the bonus of +1 combat resolution for your Plaguebearers. Consider dropping the Plaguebearers' banner and using the savings to upgrade the Horrors' banner to a Blasted Standard. Together with the Herald, this means you can unload 4D6 twin-linked S7 shots and an additional 2D6 S4 hits, which is crazy potent for a 500pt game.

4) The Burning Chariot is straight up unusable due to a rules problem. Because the Exalted Flamer is not a part of the vehicle but a passenger, he must abide by the restrictions of passenger shooting. This really fucks up his shooting. If the vehicle moves at all, then he counts as having moved for shooting purposes which for Heavy Weapons means that he can only snap fire. This means his Blue Fire can only hit on a 6 and his Pink Fire can't be shot at all since template weapons can't snap fire. The only way he can shoot effectively is to stay still for the entire turn, which limits the potential range of his weapons and interferes with his survivability. Basically treat this as a broken unit until GW finally gets off their arses and fixes the problem with an FAQ.

Bolverkur posted:

Can the Herald join the Horror unit and thus give me 11 Horrors and more Warp Carge points?

Nope. Although thematically the Tzeentch Herald is a Horror, in terms of game-mechanics he doesn't count as an 11th Horror in your Horror squad.

AgentF fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Aug 17, 2013

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Lord Twisted posted:

Game has probably been played by now, but:
-drop sponsors on executioner. 5 gets hot rolls a turn is too many and firing all sponsors is rare.
-drop the quad gun. 50 pts is too much - use orders to twin link a HWT for 2 more shots on target for cheaper.
-veterans are mobile and don't need the autocannons
-your CCS is too expensive. Drop the master of ordnance and the autocannon. Its 5 GEQ.

You need more warm bodies in 1850. Conscripts? Commissars?
With guard keep the basic dudes cheap and utilise orders to augment them.

The Excecutioner plasma cannon doesn't get hot. Other points are good, though. CCS are meant to buff other nearby units, not necessarily get in fights themselves. I've run them with plasma weapons before, which is only useful sometimes. Those times where they would be useful (someone dropping terminators in your backfield) tend to not happen when you bring a CCS with 4x plasma guns, since they won't deepstrike anywhere near that kind of firepower. Quad gun is nice on occasion, but the aegis line is golden for weapons teams. If they get shot at, go to ground for that sweet 2+ cover. If they're not gone to ground, twin-link them against anything big/nasty(vehicles/MCs), or use the CCS' other order to make your opponent re-roll successful cover saves. The re-roll cover saves order is meant for scouts and vehicles that are obscured (tau disruption pods and ork KFFs come to mind right away, along with jinking bikes/fliers).

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

Bolverkur posted:

Exalted Flamer in Burning Chariot

No don't! The kit is a great value but the Burning Chariot is a huge pile of crap. It's a Fast Skimmer which means it should be able to move 6" fire all guns/move 12" fire two guns except the weapons aren't mounted on the chariot, the rider carries them and the "Fast" rule does nothing for passengers and they are both Heavy weapons which means you get to move and snapfire an 18" Lascannon and can't you shoot the other because it's a template and you can't snapfire those. Just stay away from that model until they FAQ it. Or stay away from it forever if they don't.

If you want a heavy slot unit grab a Skull Cannon which leaves you with 10 free points. A BS5 S8 large blast can still put the hurt on units even at AP5 and it's one of the longest range weapons in the Codex. Or get a Soul Grinder which won't fit in a 500 point list but is a rock solid unit for larger point games.

Bolverkur posted:

Can the Herald join the Horror unit and thus give me 11 Horrors and more Warp Charge points?

No. The herald is not a Horror so they don't get any additional charges. In a 10 Horror+Herald Unit there would be 1 warp charge for the Horrors to cast their power and 1 warp charge (or 2 or 3 charges if you bought additional levels) for the Herald which he can use to cast his power.

Personally I'd lose the Icon, Instrument and the Greater Reward on the Pink Horrors. Their only job is to shoot Tzeench magic. They should be in some 4+ cover save ruins or shooting out of the fire points of an Imperial Bastion or behind an Aegis Line. Lose the Lesser Loci on the Herald. Use all those points saved to get the Exalted Loci which gives +1 strength to the Pink Horror+Herald unit's psyker powers. That's the only Loci you should ever take on Tzeench Heralds.

You need more troops. There's no way to get around that. Another box of Plague Bearers and Pink Horrors would fill out your troops pretty well to start. That gives you 2 shooting units that can sit on objectives and then 2 more units to hold more objectives or go contest your opponents and only adds 180 points to your list. Nurgle marked Soulgrinders are really good. The unit is pricey in points but you end up with an AV13/13/11 walker with a 2+ cover save (put him in some ruins!) s shooting a 36" range Battlecannon. Flesh Hounds (buy the WHFB Beastmen Chaos Warhounds box and save a ton of money) + Khorne Juggernaut Herald is a top notch Turn 1 or 2 sledgehammer but that's best run at 1000 or more point games.

Honestly I can't list everything simply because the book is really strong. There's only a few models you should stay away from, either because they aren't that great or ridiculously expensive.

Burning Chariot: weird/bad rules.
Furies: maybe they could be a good trick in game but it would cost over $120 to make a 20 model unit so unless you're rolling in money I'd say skip it.
Nurglings: troop choice that doesn't score so it can't hold or contest objectives, maybe has a use as a one trick pony type deal, probably not worth buying.
Bloodcrushers: really expensive both in actual money and in game points for a model that has been knocked down a bunch of pegs on the power rankings. They are like glass sledgehammers. They can do serious damage but they can be taken out really fast. I bought a single model off Ebay to use as a Herald of Khorne on Juggernaut.
Flesh Hounds of Khorne: unless you're an exact model stickler or have a lot of money to spend just buy the Chaos Warhounds box instead. Double the models at half the price.

Buy what models interest you and ones you will enjoy painting and building. Just about anything in the book can work in almost any army list as long as you have the model count and support to back up the list. Minimum size units don't work very well, everything is just too fragile to sustain being shot at for long so you need large wound pools to absorb the fire until you can get into assault. Also look at Warhammer Fantasy models if you want to save money or want to have a slightly different Daemons army. A lot of the Warriors of Chaos/Beastmen models fit in well with Chaos Daemons.

AgentF posted:

A few points for you to consider:

1) You definitely want to give that Tzeentch Herald the Exalted Locus and stick him with that Horror squad. Turning 4D6 S6 shots into 4D6 S7 shots is no small upgrade. You gave him Mastery Level 2, which is great because you want to cast Prescience on the Herald/Horror group.

Flickering Fire is S5 base but everything here is spot on. Twin-linked S6Ap4 will tear most infantry to shreds and Instant Death pretty much anything that isn't MEQ.

AgentF posted:

2) The Irridescent Horror is interesting because I think you can nominate him to cast the witchfire power, which then gives it Precision Shots. Goons correct me if something says this is not the case. Additionally the Greater Gift can be used to give him the Mutating Warpblade, which is interesting because it's phrased in a way that merely holding the item is enough for slain enemy characters to turn into spawns. I.e. You don't actually have to kill the enemy character with the blade itself, you can instead just be holding it and blast him with Flickering Fire and if he dies he'll turn into a Spawn on a 2+. Free spawns at 500pt games are no joke.

Yes he can be the shooter which means precision shots. Also precision shots from the herald. I never thought of giving the Iridescent Horror the Warpblade. I've gotta do that next time I play.

AgentF posted:

3) Your banners are probably not going to see much use, except maybe the bonus of +1 combat resolution for your Plaguebearers. Consider dropping the Plaguebearers' banner and using the savings to upgrade the Horrors' banner to a Blasted Standard. Together with the Herald, this means you can unload 4D6 twin-linked S7 shots and an additional 2D6 S4 hits, which is crazy potent for a 500pt game.

Yeah a twin-linked S6 Flickering Fire Barrage from Horrors+Herald along with the Banner shots will wipe out just about any unit you will see in a 500 point game save for maybe CSM and IG powerblobs and Terminators.

Pacheeco fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Aug 17, 2013

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Soulfucker posted:

My cousin linked me this (tiny) teaser of that upcoming 40k game and I didn't see it in the thread so: http://www.eternalcrusade.com/

I dunno, the Chaos guy sounds a little pansy, and the Eldar a little Chaos

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Soulfucker posted:

edit:

As much as I love the general fruitiness of the Eldar, there's nothing wrong with actually having them sound menacing at times.
Dear lord the Meet the Team video is cheesy as gently caress.
Still, I can relate to the guy with a bigass box of paint pots on the desk, all thrown in there in a giant pile.

So, I wonder if this 40k MMO is actually going to come out. The last one sort of imploded, got retooled as a 3rd person action game, and is since the collapse of THQ missing in action last I heard.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

E: Show's over. Stuff goes on Ebay now!

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Aug 20, 2013

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.

Pacheeco posted:

Flesh Hounds of Khorne: unless you're an exact model stickler or have a lot of money to spend just buy the Chaos Warhounds box instead. Double the models at half the price.
:black101:

*Warhound models*
In my 1850 games these guys win it for me almost every time. Even without a jug-herald chaperone they disrupt, absorb and destroy the enemy's threats. I run two units of ~14-15 and I can't see myself ever going away from this. I use a pair of LoC to buff them with Forewarning, Prescience or debuff their target. Between the ~60 wounds from dogs against the aegis and 10 wounds from LoC the enemy has their hands full turn one.

Pacheeco posted:

Yes he can be the shooter which means precision shots. Also precision shots from the herald. I never thought of giving the Iridescent Horror the Warpblade. I've gotta do that next time I play.
This is how NoVA is ruling it as well if that matters to you at all. I never thought to take the blade to make spawn. It's a silly way to spend 20pts but when it works it works I guess. At least it would be Ap3 in CC, surprisingly my Horror units do good work in CC against the scraps that make it into my lines.

Gotta love that gone to ground save behind the aegis line. 2+ rerollable! Grab the relic and hold on! This along with the opportunity cost of shooting is why I stopped taking Plaguebearers. They were just too slow and not tough enough anymore.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Does the executioners cannon not Gets Hot? Where is the rule for that? 6th ed vehicles have GH apply I thought? Or is the executioner cannon not technically a BRB plasma weapon?

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

Resist! Humanity demands it! Resist!
It just lacks the Gets Hot! rule on its main gun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

WhiteOutMouse posted:

:black101:

*Warhound models*
In my 1850 games these guys win it for me almost every time. Even without a jug-herald chaperone they disrupt, absorb and destroy the enemy's threats. I run two units of ~14-15 and I can't see myself ever going away from this. I use a pair of LoC to buff them with Forewarning, Prescience or debuff their target. Between the ~60 wounds from dogs against the aegis and 10 wounds from LoC the enemy has their hands full turn one.
This is how NoVA is ruling it as well if that matters to you at all. I never thought to take the blade to make spawn. It's a silly way to spend 20pts but when it works it works I guess. At least it would be Ap3 in CC, surprisingly my Horror units do good work in CC against the scraps that make it into my lines.

Gotta love that gone to ground save behind the aegis line. 2+ rerollable! Grab the relic and hold on! This along with the opportunity cost of shooting is why I stopped taking Plaguebearers. They were just too slow and not tough enough anymore.

I want to get another box of Warhounds but I already steamroll all my friends pretty easily when I play Daemons and I have a huge back log of painting I'm burning through. Gotta get ready for the Tyranid Codex.

My current trick is 16 horrors with Iridescent and kitted out Herald in an Imperial Bastion with a Herald of Nurgle on the top manning an ADL/Icarus, positioned right on the edge of my deployment line. Gun has a 3+ cover save (Fortification cover), Nurgle Herald is BS5 2W 2+ cover save for 45 points, Horror unit is practically impossible to hurt because it's in a building. It's a lot of points in one spot but it helps get the Horrors as close as possible, gives me some S9 shooting from the Icarus (I play against Necron mostly) and saves me 40 odd points vs. taking a 10 model Bloodletter blob to man an ADL/Icarus gun. The only drawback is that my just completed Pink Horror unit never gets placed on the table to show off.

• Locked thread