Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
I was quite disappointed that they didn't use MgRonalds, to be honest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valsu
Jan 2, 2006

Oh man, the scene in episode 68 where Hibito and Mutta both bought keyboards for Sharon. I felt so loving moon. :3:

The whole Hibbit bit was pretty funny. Gotta love the reactions of the parents.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

What's up with epsidoe 69? It was like 20 Space Brothers episodes in one go. I'm so used to the slow pace that something so quick felt really jarring.

Has the show been cancelled recently or something?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Shakugan posted:

What's up with epsidoe 69? It was like 20 Space Brothers episodes in one go. I'm so used to the slow pace that something so quick felt really jarring.

Has the show been cancelled recently or something?

Time skip

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Somebody call Elmer Fudd.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

I miss the space pictures. Hopefully we'll get some new ones again from the new Japanese commander.

ashez2ashes
Aug 15, 2012

Mutta's picture on the wall was so adorable and completely him. The Gorilla kids anime is... Well Japan probably doesn't know the historical implications but it still makes me wince.

The time skip alarmed me a bit too. I was dreading that it was the last episode for a second there.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

I am glad of the time skip. Things can go way too slow in this anime. I was a bit confused at first though, because this episode starts and ends at the same place. Basically, the entire episode is a flashback which is also a time skip.

cooldude2.0
Oct 12, 2004
Grimey Drawer

ashez2ashes posted:

Mutta's picture on the wall was so adorable and completely him. The Gorilla kids anime is... Well Japan probably doesn't know the historical implications but it still makes me wince.
I winced, but hey, they gave Hibbit some offensive stereotype teeth. Also it was pretty funny.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

I'm thinking a hovercraft buggy would fit the bill. Except, for the fact that a hovercraft probably uses ground effect to get most of its lift. Therefore, you'd have to make some allowances for the ground suddenly disappearing.

Another idea is one where when the vehicle starts to fall, some kind of tether shoots out and anchors the vehicle. Just shooting ideas out here.

I wonder if Serika will ever find out that Mutta gave up his spot on the ISS for her. Well, he did it for himself also, so it wasn't that huge of a gift. But still....

Would be nice to see what Kenji's family is up to. I would imagine they'd be moving to Houston about now.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Mutta returning to his roots is interesting, though the problem he's working on is absurd since it wouldn't ever be an issue. Maps of the surface in conjuction with an inertial positioning system and a laser rangefinder to read the geography of the surrounding area mean that no actual astronaut would ever be as hilariously incompetent as Hibito and Damian as to actually drive into an unexpected crater at speed.

cooldude2.0
Oct 12, 2004
Grimey Drawer
Maybe Mutta's fancy COMMERCIAL EXPERIENCE with things like in-car navigation systems will lead him to that obvious solution.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
...Are Mutta's new coworkers the Ghostbusters?

Dan.
"Peter."
Harold.
And a black dude who is shoved off to the side who I'm willing to bet's name is either Ernie or "Winston"

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Dan7el posted:

I'm thinking a hovercraft buggy would fit the bill. Except, for the fact that a hovercraft probably uses ground effect to get most of its lift.

And the fact that there is no air on the Moon that's needed for the air-cushion.

I loved the irony of the episode, and I feel that if designing a better buggy is what will get Mutta on the Moon, it will be the first time in the series were I will seriously be happy about him making it.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

OnimaruXLR posted:

Yes:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

OnimaruXLR posted:

Dan.
"Peter."
Harold.
And a black dude who is shoved off to the side who I'm willing to bet's name is either Ernie or "Winston"

To be fair there are two other guys who are there and shoved off to the side.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I love episodes where its Mutta getting to put his problem solving abilities to work.

Hibito got PTSD :ohdear:

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

Just started watching this show a few days ago and I'm loving it. Marathoned to episode 47 thus far. The pacing is definitely not meant for this, but I'm just so invested in the story!

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Xelkelvos posted:

To be fair there are two other guys who are there and shoved off to the side.

You don't even see the two other guys in the latest episode anymore! Ghostbusters confirmed.

ashez2ashes
Aug 15, 2012

I wonder if the animators are aware of the shortcomings of the source material... When one of the engineers suggested "training astronauts to not fall off cliffs" it got a chuckle out of me.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Guess of MoonGPS appears to have been spot on for how to solve the problem. Actual content was about 5 minutes, but this was a good flashback episode since it showed us more of Mutta as a salaryman and how he was drat good at his job.

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009
These last episodes have been really short on actual content. Even without the padding at the start and the end.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Yeah I know what you mean, it was at the six minute mark before the episode even properly started. And I feel like they repeated themselves twice on everything just to stretch for time.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Holy poo poo, was the ending bit in the end of 71 a reference to Silver Spoon? (Pig's fat percentage)

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

Maybe they're just buying time to make a really good episode! Right guys... right?!

Kind of like how I feel about every Shingeki episode ever. :colbert:

Wibbleman
Apr 19, 2006

Fluffy doesn't want to be sacrificed

So what are the spaceships featured in the ED.

I am guessing it goes.

Sputnik
Vostok?
Mercury/Redstone
Apollo
Spacelab?
Shuttle
something?

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

Today's episode was pretty good. Mutta really knows how to take initiative when needed. In some ways, the episode was...magical....

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!
I'm starting to get a little tired with the glacial pacing of this show. Is it about to catch up to the mango or something?

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I think I stopped watching when there were 3 or 4 recap episodes in a row. I know a lot has happened since then, but it's going to take absolutely ages to watch now. I like the show a lot and wish there were more animes like it, though.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I haven't been watching, but if it's still going at the same pace it was when I last watched, it's basically been going 1 chapter per episode, but it's nowhere near catching up to the manga. Not sure why they're deliberately staying at manga pace, but that's how it is presently. If you're curious, the scanlations are about 8 episodes ahead of the anime but are currently in Vol 15. while apparently the manga's already up to Vol. 21+.

Allarion fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Sep 22, 2013

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

I liked this episode, but I think the heart mark misunderstanding with Butler really wasn't necessary, since it served to undermine Mutta's effort with the climb roll and the impact it had on Butler in the previous episode. I know it was just for comic relief in an episode that was otherwise hearth wrenching (Sharon not being able to do the things that made her feel like a mother to Mutta and Hibito was so sad; I find it really interesting that Sharon really does serve as an inspiring mother like figure to the two, and their actual mother is an insignificant side character), but still. The heart mark thing in general just felt really strange, since Mutta was apparently willing to tell a girl to look out for something and draw a heart in the sky, but is apparently unwilling to even ask Serika out after what must at this point be years of knowing her.

In a show with such incredible characters and character interactions, the relationship between Mutta and Serika just sticks out as being uniquely poorly developed. We know who Mutta is as a character, and we could maybe understand him being "OMG SERIKA!!!" when he first met her, but they've now known each other for years with Mutta apparently "loving" her even then they don't really seem to interact much in any non-superficial way. I recognise it's one of those things that the creator wants to drag out in a "will they/won't they" scenario, but in their clumsy attempt they've just dropped the ball on the "will they" because they just haven't put them in enough situations together where we've seen them interact in a meaningful way, or (perhaps even more importantly) given us any idea of what Serika thinks of Mutta.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

Agreed. The Mutta/Serika thing is so bad it's almost loving juvenile. Adults usually have more chutzpah than that. First, he should've made sure she saw what he intended her to see. Then, he should've asked her out on a date.

Regardless, the only reason I can see keeping them from dating is the fact that they both have very specific astronaut-based goals, and neither of those goals are very compatible. Once wants to do medical research in microgravity. The other wants to build an enormous telescope on the moon. Even if they did date and marry, they'd likely never see each other once their respective careers took off.

Sharon's whole thing with ALS is heart rending. Like I said before, there is a guy I used to work with that has ALS. He's my age too. Our company did an interview with him and posted it on the internal web page. He talks about how he knows he won't be around for grandchildren, etc. I spoke with some coworkers who know him fairly well. He's been degrading fairly fast too. He went from a cane to full wheelchair in less than a year.

The misunderstanding scenes weren't even funny, really. Gah. Also, where the hell is Kenji's family? He's not leaving them in Japan, is he? They should be Houstonites by now, and the little girl should be speaking in whole sentences -- in English!

Speaking of which, I know this is silly, but for some reason, when I'm watching a Japanese-based anime, written for the Japanese and produced in Japan for the Japanese people who primarily and most effectively speak, only Japanese, and I watch two apparent American's who are in Japan that grew up in America and very likely with all probability, speak fluent English, I am still a bit amazed that when they are alone, just the two of them, they still speak to each other only in Japanese. Like, say, Sharon and her sister.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I bet the The Hunt for Red October movie must have blown your mind.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
I just watched the episode, and I really have to agree on the Serika stuff. It's just not being handled very well at all, and it's really disappointing to see considering the general quality of the rest of the show. That sequence was still really fun to see because it felt like they were actually progressing with it - at least at first - but then they pulled back. Just disappointing. Oh well.

Glad to see that Mutta is at least making progress with his training. The Sharon stuff is really sad, too.

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013
I think Serika in general is badly handled. Her being a doctor is a good opportunity to show things from a different perspective than the engineers and military guys who make up most of the astronauts. And considering how Sharon's illness applies directly to Serika's backstory you'd think she'd be more involved.

Kenji leaving his family is weird but there's enough anime with kids left while their parents are overseas that it seems like it's not considered too unusual.

cooldude2.0
Oct 12, 2004
Grimey Drawer
I predicted the moon gps thing, which pleases me like it would anyone, but did anyone mention how they actually determine the buggy's position?
It was just surface map + HUD, IIRC. this mentions beacons and cameras, but it's from 2008 which I think predates a lot of the self-driving car tech. I still think a spinning laser rangefinder would work amazingly well.

Drawing a heart seems 10x harder than doing a vertical climb roll. The g's in the little loop at the top have to be pretty high (i am not a pilot)

cooldude2.0
Oct 12, 2004
Grimey Drawer
Olga cracks me up every time she strikes a pose.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

There was no Mutta except for the initial last-episode-regurgitation portion of this episode and I think his voice actor plays a part in the anime-with-the-anime. Also, I'm not sure of what to make of Olga. It's obvious she has some kind of teen-crush on Hibito.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!
I really love this show but the stereotyping borders on racism sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Yeah, the only thing that really keeps it from that is the impression that the stereotyping is rooted in ignorance instead of malice.

• Locked thread