Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Question about replacing the e36 M3 thermostat. What temperature should I go with? Turner Motorsports has 80 C and 71 C thermostats, the 80 C seems to be more stock and the 71 C is not recommended for street cars but I'm not sure how that works. From what I've read the lower temperature will kick off coolant being pumped sooner after the car has started but is that a bad thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cendien
Sep 14, 2008

Stealth Like posted:

Has BMW confirmed that it will be DCT only for all regions including the US? The M5/M6 both have manual transmission options here when they don't anywhere else.

I have no idea, but you can currently configure/order a 4 series (435i) from the BMWUSA website with a manual transmission, so it seems weird that they would remove the option from the M series. I'd withhold judgment until we see what they actually do with it.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Das Volk posted:

Turbo 6, 450hp/400ft-lbs, no manual, about 100 lbs lighter than the outgoing model. It remains to be seen if it makes fake engine sounds or not yet but the standard wheels are 20" so I'm guessing it's going to be more about the popped collar crowd than enthusiasts.

I don't think 20" wheels are automatically a 1 way trip to poser-ville. The 911 Carrera S/4S and Turbo come with 20" wheels standard now. So does the GT-R. The Z51 Stingray has 20" rears.

Wheels just keep getting taller for whatever reason.

e: The hope would be the brakes are just going to be that goddamn big. I know the M Performance brakes for the F30 won't clear all 18" wheels.

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Aug 16, 2013

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I hope people eventually accept that manual transmissions in non-American cars are going away. Then people will maybe stop making fun of me for getting the transmission that's better and faster than the manual. I get that it's more fun to drive a manual, but I would have killed everyone if I had a manual during my first drive home. It was stop and go traffic all the way from Katy up through north of Houston. Making your own textiles can be fun, but no one does it anymore.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

I hope people eventually accept that manual transmissions in non-American cars are going away. Then people will maybe stop making fun of me for getting the transmission that's better and faster than the manual. I get that it's more fun to drive a manual, but I would have killed everyone if I had a manual during my first drive home. It was stop and go traffic all the way from Katy up through north of Houston. Making your own textiles can be fun, but no one does it anymore.

People have actually made fun of you in real life for not driving a stick? Because driving a stick in a BMW totally makes me a weirdo in the real world.

I sort of take it as a given that my next car in 5-10 years will be some kind of SMG/DCT/manuamatic/whatever thing because manuals will probably be dead by then. And if they're not I'll be a :corsair: old fart.

JDM3
Jun 26, 2013

Best $10 bux I ever spent on a total stranger.. who happens to be a fucking douchetube.
I parked next to a 1990's Pontiac Grand Am the other day and was SHOCKED to notice it was a manual. You just never see manual transmissions in much of anything except sports cars anymore. Last month my wife almost picked up a little Lexus 2 door sports car (model #?) until she saw it didn't have auto. I was bummed. Last time she drove a stick was four years ago in Italy - first time she drove she stalled pulling out of the driveway and got hit...and will never drive one again.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

JDM3 posted:

I parked next to a 1990's Pontiac Grand Am the other day and was SHOCKED to notice it was a manual. You just never see manual transmissions in much of anything except sports cars anymore. Last month my wife almost picked up a little Lexus 2 door sports car (model #?) until she saw it didn't have auto. I was bummed. Last time she drove a stick was four years ago in Italy - first time she drove she stalled pulling out of the driveway and got hit...and will never drive one again.

A manual SC430? I didn't know that even existed. That said, a manual gearbox wouldn't come close to saving that piece of poo poo car.

Stardotstar
Jun 2, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

There's nothing wrong with driving a DCT. The reason "purists" still crave manuals is that there is craft in driving one well, craft which must be painstakingly earned, and which is quite rewarding when used. I think all the purists acknowledge the empirical superiority of a DCT, with the caveat that it is more expensive to maintain and demands less of the driver.

That said, both of my cars are manual and command a significant price premium as a result.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.
Thermostat Chat

Popete posted:

From what I've read the lower temperature will kick off coolant being pumped sooner after the car has started but is that a bad thing?
The 70c will allow you to delete (simply leave in your garage/storage area) the fan on the front of the engine. I put in a 70c when I did my water pump, and the only side effect I've seen is that when it's hot enough out that I want the a/c on, then it's hot enough out that I need the A/C on in order to kick on the aux fan (the one in front of the radiator), or the temp goes up to here:

It goes back down within 3-4 minutes once I turn the A/C back on.
Leaving the engine-mounted fan off is one less thing that can catastrophically fail under the hood, taking out inconvenient and/or expensive things with it. I highly recommend it.

DCT vs. Manual Chat
We found this gem while looking for a new car over the last few days.

2006 530iT. 66k, $19,900.

Unless I'm missing a bunch of options (sport package, and is that just iDrive, or is it the Nav package?), it seems overpriced by about $2100?
If it does have the sport package it's "only" overpriced by $1550...
Also, it's in Austin. Kinda far from Denver.

Kenny Rogers fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Aug 16, 2013

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

I hope people eventually accept that manual transmissions in non-American cars are going away.

In a way I'm (my wallet is) ok with this since it means I will never be tempted to buy a new car.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Kenny Rogers posted:

DCT vs. Manual Chat

2006 530iT. 66k, $19,900.

Unless I'm missing a bunch of options (sport package, and is that just iDrive, or is it the Nav package?), it seems overpriced by about $2100?
If it does have the sport package it's "only" overpriced by $1550...
Also, it's in Austin. Kinda far from Denver.

Definitely Sport Seats and Wheels.......for NAV you prob have to run the vin or ask the sellers.

ManualChat:

I ordered an F10 with manual transmission last year (because I thought I was a badass and also because I greatly enjoy the MT in my E46 and other BMW's I've had).

I would not get it again

It adds basically nothing to a car this big and quiet and is actually quite annoying and to top it off has worse performance and fuel efficiency than the 8 speed sport auto. I'm sure throwing on a louder exhaust that would help a bit. In fact, I wouldn't even bother with an MT in a new M5 and if I was ordering a brand new 335 or M3 I'd also think hard about how much actual fun a MT will really be contributing. Leave the MT's for small cars (1,3) and face rippers like the M3 but gently caress them for anything else. Maybe I'm getting old (I am) but I just don't give a poo poo anymore especially when the "slushboxes" kick the poo poo out of the MT's now and are flexible since you'll need a free hand to run all the electronic gizmos anyway. A MT will not make you feel like Fernando Alonso in any car, that is for sure. The new iDrive is fantastic though, I will add.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Aug 16, 2013

ynotony
Apr 14, 2003

Yea...this is pretty much the smartest thing I have ever done.

Stealth Like posted:

Has BMW confirmed that it will be DCT only for all regions including the US? The M5/M6 both have manual transmission options here when they don't anywhere else.

BMW has confirmed that the manual is here to stay for the foreseeable future in the M3/M4. Could change later on but for now the manual will always be an option.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

How much bigger is the F10/F30 compared to their earlier siblings?

I don't mean just physical size - but does it actually feel different?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

A lot of people knit and crochet still. My wife spins her own yarn and has a lot of friends that do, too. I think there's more to choosing a sports car than just raw performance. Your analogy is like saying no one should cook anymore because there are restaurants.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Or no one should cook over an open grill now that we have microwaves and thermal convection ovens and poo poo

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Tab8715 posted:

How much bigger is the F10/F30 compared to their earlier siblings?

I don't mean just physical size - but does it actually feel different?

Here are some random cars:

I never bothered testing an F30 as they were too new (potential bugs) and I wasn't a fan of the new front on them. I've driven one now and I think they are great, especially in 335 form. The F10 is a fantastic highway cruiser, extremely luxurious interior, great looking and in many respects I am happy with my 535, it's just a little too big/fancy. If it was around 188 inches instead of 193 it would probably be a better fit, tbh. It has literally nothing in common with the E39 but does seem like the E60's child in many respects and the interior is light years past the E60 and the exterior doesn't look like Amy Winehouse so there's that. If you need a big comfy people hauler that still has some power the 535 and especially the 550 is a good fit. ACS springs and the M5/550d sway bars are all it really needs to carve a bit harder. I can take the same offramps at the same speed as my pretty highly modified E46 and kick the rear out in the big girl so she can get after it for sure regardless of carrying 2 tons.

I got the F10 over an X5, with the plan to upgrade the 330 to an M3. I may actually just sell them both and get a new Acura RDX and a 2011 E90 M3 sedan as I want one car that gets decent mileage.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Aug 16, 2013

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
So I've been noticing over the past week or so that on cold start my car (e36 M3) is wanting to stall and the rpm's seem to drop. After driving for 30 seconds it seems fine and I have no problems if I shut the car off and restart once it's warm. I've been looking at cleaning the MAF as some other places recommended. I did put 92 octane in last week previously I had put 93 in so I'm wondering if that has to do with it as well?

TP Racing
Oct 21, 2004
I`m from Norway, I hunt whales and kill those small, cute white seals.
I bought my friends E30 320i a couple of months ago, and it`s finally on the road! I promptly fitted Spax coilovers, and some 4x100->4x114.3 adapters so I could put my 7.5/8x15 SSR MK2`s on. Result:

I will upgrade the suspension further, along with fitting a 325 rear end/disc brakes. An upgraded LSD is also on the wishlist. The 325 rear end came with the car, together with a modded m20b20 and some other snacks. Hopefully I`ll have a semi-quick and nimble car to play around with next year. Posting my plans here kind of commits me to actually going through with it, isn`t that how it works? :banjo:

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

BMW please fire your design team and just make E30 looking cars from here one out like Porsche does with the 911. Thanks in advance.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

TP Racing posted:

I bought my friends E30 320i a couple of months ago, and it`s finally on the road! I promptly fitted Spax coilovers, and some 4x100->4x114.3 adapters so I could put my 7.5/8x15 SSR MK2`s on. Result:

Haven't seen on in that color before, I like it. Looks like a nice clean car and should be fun with the coil overs.

Read 320i and got really excited then remembered it was the 320iS that got the S14

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Galler posted:

BMW please fire your design team and just make E30 looking cars from here one out like Porsche does with the 911. Thanks in advance.

I wish. Crash standards make the sharknose and the large greenhouses from 80s/90s era BMWs impossible these days :(

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

TP Racing posted:

modded m20b20

Is this because of an tax thing? Genuinely curious because the first thing I'd do with an M20B20 is throw it in the garbage and put the B25 in. Or just skip straight to an M5x.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

TP Racing posted:

I will upgrade the suspension further, along with fitting a 325 rear end/disc brakes. An upgraded LSD is also on the wishlist. The 325 rear end came with the car, together with a modded m20b20 and some other snacks. Hopefully I`ll have a semi-quick and nimble car to play around with next year. Posting my plans here kind of commits me to actually going through with it, isn`t that how it works? :banjo:

Sexy.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

rscott posted:

I wish. Crash standards make the sharknose and the large greenhouses from 80s/90s era BMWs impossible these days :(
I dunno. Ford, Chevy, and Dodge seem to have done a decent job updating their respective classic looks - capturing the essence of the past, even if the new incarnations are on the porky side.

TP Racing
Oct 21, 2004

NitroSpazzz posted:

Haven't seen on in that color before, I like it. Looks like a nice clean car and should be fun with the coil overs.

Read 320i and got really excited then remembered it was the 320iS that got the S14

Yeah, i really like the color myself. It`s called Smaragdgrün metallic, I`ve been told it`s not really common. Ironically there were 2 or 3 cars with the same color at a local BMW meet a few months ago. The E30 is kind of played out here in Norway, and since everybody is modding one these days, the hardcore crowd seems to go for the more obscure colors to make their builds stand out. I don`t really care for E30 fame and glory, but I am a big fan of everything old school and obscure. I would have bought this car no matter what color it had, but now that I own it i realize I`ve been quite lucky :)

Yeah, I see what you mean about the S14, I`m not that fortunate. But it`s still fun, and the coilovers made a huge difference :)

TP Racing fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Aug 17, 2013

TP Racing
Oct 21, 2004

Crustashio posted:

Is this because of an tax thing? Genuinely curious because the first thing I'd do with an M20B20 is throw it in the garbage and put the B25 in. Or just skip straight to an M5x.

A tuning company here in Norway decided to make a m20b20 that would outperform a m20b25. My engine is the result, and I`ve been told that it actually did turn out to be faster. Don`t know if it`s true though :)

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Kenny Rogers posted:

I dunno. Ford, Chevy, and Dodge seem to have done a decent job updating their respective classic looks - capturing the essence of the past, even if the new incarnations are on the porky side.

The new Mustang is supposed to be the size of a 1 series. That should be insane with a 400 HP V8.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Keyser S0ze posted:

I got the F10 over an X5, with the plan to upgrade the 330 to an M3. I may actually just sell them both and get a new Acura RDX and a 2011 E90 M3 sedan as I want one car that gets decent mileage.

My wife drives a new RDX and we love it, the legroom in the backseat feels like international first class and the cylinder deactivation is completely imperceptible which is the complete opposite of the stupid Auto Stop Start on BMW's which I absolutely hate. At least my M3 has it defaulted to off. The only thing I would say about the RDX is keep in mind what you want to carry in the back, if you like to haul alot of stuff consider the newer MDX.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

:eng101: BMW put out a bulletin telling dealers they're allowed to reprogram auto stop/start to remember the last setting (i.e. when you shut it off) instead of turning back on every time you start the car.

Cojawfee posted:

The new Mustang is supposed to be the size of a 1 series. That should be insane with a 400 HP V8.

IIRC the new Camaro is going to be way lighter too. I think they're using the ATS platform instead of the current two ton gently caress.

The F30 got bigger than the E90 while being fractionally lighter, but what I really want to see is mainstream BMWs in carbon fiber follow from the i3. Imagine a 2,700lb M3! :flashfap:

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I Don't think the i3 looks that bad. I'm looking forward to the i8 though.

Granted, I also like the way the Panamera looks, so...

JDM3
Jun 26, 2013

Best $10 bux I ever spent on a total stranger.. who happens to be a fucking douchetube.

CornHolio posted:

Granted, I also like the way the Panamera looks, so...

OMG - I saw one of these while shopping last month - when they say leather interior, they mean LEATHER INTERIOR! If I had an extra 40k to throw away, I would have gotten it (used for 70k, was already dropping wayyyy too much on a car in the first place). Those are simply one of a kind.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

:siren: BARGAIN ZHP SPOTTED :siren:

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/cto/4007074745.html

lol

edit: nm, it's not even close to being a ZHP. Wrong wheels, wrong transmission, wrong trim, wrong steering wheel.

edit 2: and it says 328i on the back... derp

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Someone stole it and only took the airbag?

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
BMW Thread, I need your help.

Car is a 2007 118i, E87LCI (post facelift.)

I currently have an issue with the power steering, which is electric on these models. I started the car, and a yellow steering wheel warning light is lit, and steering is unpowered (and the ratio is such that it's nigh on undrivable. I sure won't try.)

Thing is, on these models, there an electronic steering column lock. Pop in the fob, a solenoid moves a locking mechanism out of the way, and the column is free to turn. Pop out the fob, and it locks again. This design, I understand, was faulty, so after a few years of use, the locking mechanism would stick. This has happened to me once or twice, but a little wiggling of the wheel while popping the fob in and out solved it.

What I think happened is that the controller detected the locking mechanism hadn't disengaged properly, and then raised an error preventing the powered steering from turning on (makes sense to not power assist the driver in messing up a partially locked mechanism.)

Anyway, anybody know anything about this? It was apparently quite the issue on 1 and 3 series from the 00's. I can get a brand new column for about $600 and it doesn't seem too hard to DIY replace it, but I wonder if this solves the problem.

Here's a thread with a guy who takes out his column and adjusts/lubes/fixes the locking mechanism: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=483387

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Koirhor posted:

My wife drives a new RDX and we love it, the legroom in the backseat feels like international first class and the cylinder deactivation is completely imperceptible which is the complete opposite of the stupid Auto Stop Start on BMW's which I absolutely hate. At least my M3 has it defaulted to off. The only thing I would say about the RDX is keep in mind what you want to carry in the back, if you like to haul alot of stuff consider the newer MDX.

oh yeah, the first thing I did is get an old xp laptop and code the F10 and:

Turn A-S-S to "last setting"
shorten seatbelt warning time
activate the TPMS display in idrive with tire pressure/temps
disable idrive warnings on startup
unlock drivers door on shutoff
auto fold mirrors from keyfob

I think the RDX is a great value at $38k or so loaded and didn't really need the MDX extra size/bulk/$. I'll probably never do it though since nobody is going to want to buy my MT F10 without NAV unless there was a significant amount of rape involved.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I don't think I'll ever buy a car with nav. I just don't like it. It gets out of date and it always looks ugly. I can just use my phone which is always updated for free and if I can't use that, stop at a gas station and use a map.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Built in nav is pretty cool but I agree it's not worth the money. If I'm going on a trip my 4-5 year old $125 refurbished Garmin still works great and if I suddenly find myself needing a gps when I don't have my Garmin then Google maps/nav on my phone is pretty excellent.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I felt the same way but the new large screen NAV is rather badass and any newer 5 series buyers are going to expect it.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Galler posted:

Built in nav is pretty cool but I agree it's not worth the money. If I'm going on a trip my 4-5 year old $125 refurbished Garmin still works great and if I suddenly find myself needing a gps when I don't have my Garmin then Google maps/nav on my phone is pretty excellent.

In a Subaru or Toyota, sure, but I think the systems in the newer Audis and BMW's are absolutely worth it. You can't buy an aftermarket setup that's that high of quality, and the iDrive/MMI interfaces can't be duplicated either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mattress Man
Apr 3, 2009

:dukedog:
I just got back from a BMW Ultimate Driving Experience event. I drove a base f30 328xi, currently have a e90 328xi. Really didn't like the regular steering wheel or the non sports seats. The loaded sport line on the other hand was much better since I could tune the steering and chassis settings. Seriously looking at a f31 since the ladyfriend has a kid and nieces/nephews.