Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Adult oriented anime doesn't really do adventure that often. Kaiba fits the bill, I'd think. There's a good bit of fun action, the story is pretty interesting and a lot of it has a nice sense of wonder to it. There are sexual elements but they aren't like what you'd see in Gurren Lagann where characters are out right sexualized.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I dunno, Cowboy Bebop is a pretty good adventure series, and that's definitely not for kids.

There's always One Piece for adventure. It's one of the most successful books in Japanese history, and still going strong. It's the #1 anime series by a pretty significant margin I believe, though the anime itself has gone downhill in such a catastrophic way(due to them making each 19-page chapter into a full episode which leads to horrible pacing issues, animation problems too) that I'd only recommend the manga for now. Or maybe someone can provide a good list of what episodes to watch and what to skip, since there's a lot of filler early on I believe. But it's a definitely amazing adventure series, if you can let yourself believe in the world they live in and all the crazy poo poo that exists in it. I'd say read/watch it up through the Arlong Park arc, that's widely considered the clinching point for if you'll like the series or not.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Aug 16, 2013

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
A load of people are gonna come in and slag you off for not liking Guren Lagann, but I think it's a bit rubbish too. I've never been a fan of that kind of ADHD hyperbole-as-narrative, though.

I've not seen FMA, so I'm not sure what similar shows there are in the adult space. The fact is that most animes now are made for kids anyway so it's difficult to find programmes that are actually aimed at adults. GITS and Cowboy Bebop are standard recommendations. They do have fanservice (just about everything does) but not to the same extent as Guren Lagann and they're both much better shows in general, particularly GITS.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Gurren Lagann isn't really the best thing for a newcomer to anime. It helps a lot to have at least a little knowledge of cliches and standards because GL revels in its absurdity and genre-awareness. There's been plenty of folks who loved the poo poo out of it and were able to ignore Yoko who haven't really watched much anime, but it's entirely understandable for a newcomer to be baffled by it as well.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Gurren Lagann is entirely meant as a ridiculous over-the-top tribute to everything in mecha anime, for good or for ill. Not necessarily a comedy, more just making the most over-the-top thing they can. Imagine it like a lovingly made b-movie. I really love it but it's really easy to see why someone would dislike it.

If you like Fullmetal Alchemist's tone you could watch the currently-airing Silver Spoon, since that's by the same author. There's no plot to it at all, it's just some kid at a farming school, but it's humor is in the same style as FMA's, so if Fullmetal Alchemist's ever made you laugh you'd probably like that.

Cowboy Bebop is a standard recommendation, and the dub for that is really good. That said a good chunk of Cowboy Bebop is episodic in nature, so keep that in mind. There's an overarching narrative, but some of the episodes have next to nothing to do with that main plot thread, they just develop the characters.

Beyond that, uh - you don't watch anime, but do you watch movies or TV shows or read comics or whatever? What sorts of things do you like there? I can give you recommendations, but it'd be easier if I knew what appealed to you.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I think I know just what might suit you adventure-wise, WYA. Mushi-Shi. The series follows a man named Ginko as travels through feudal Japan and deals with mythical creatures called Mushi. They're something like a cross between spirits, fairies and general mythical creatures - not everyone can see them, and they are just a part of nature rather than something evil. Each episode is largely stand-alone (though there are a few recurring characters) and can be likened to a miniature Studio Ghibli film. Some episodes are slow-paced, but they're all very well-told and interesting stories told in a mature fashion.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I think I know just what might suit you adventure-wise, WYA. Mushi-Shi. The series follows a man named Ginko as travels through feudal Japan and deals with mythical creatures called Mushi. They're something like a cross between spirits, fairies and general mythical creatures - not everyone can see them, and they are just a part of nature rather than something evil. Each episode is largely stand-alone (though there are a few recurring characters) and can be likened to a miniature Studio Ghibli film. Some episodes are slow-paced, but they're all very well-told and interesting stories told in a mature fashion.

I think he was looking more along the lines of action adventure, but honestly Mushi-shi is a must-watch for anyone who watches anime.

Now that all the standard recommendations have been thrown out, let my throw out Eureka Seven. It's a great mecha show focused around a romance between the two main characters and features AIR SURFING ROBOTS. It's a pretty crazy adventure with amazing character development, though nowhere near as crazy as TTGL.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

Here's a fairly spoiler-free example of what happens in a mid-series episode of GL. This is considered "mild" on the ridiculousity meter.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_WvmKUzr3k

You could create a rediculousity scale using Gurren Lagaan episode numbers. It varies a bit throughout the series, but the growth rate of rediculousity is pretty linear.

Actually, it's more like exponential.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ViggyNash posted:

You could create a rediculousity scale using Gurren Lagaan episode numbers. It varies a bit throughout the series, but the growth rate of rediculousity is pretty linear.

Linear?! You use the episode numbers as exponential powers to gauge the level rediculosity the show can reach. You aren't digging high enough towards the heavens! :argh:

As to another recommendation, the first season of Gundam 00 might work. Good action, interesting characters that are well-rounded and mostly serious, and the plot advances fairly well.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ViggyNash posted:

That's the entire point of the show, and basically the one deep message Gurren Lagann is trying to impart. "Keep growing. Keep moving forward."

That's it. That's the entire theme of the show.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

WYA posted:

I watched some fullmetal alchemist with my nephew and I actually don't hate anime, at least this one. It's pretty cool for a kids show with some neat intrigue, good action and a solid sense of adventure. I havnt watched anime since dragon ball z as a kid. If that even counts as anime. So I asked an anime friend what would be another show to watch on my own with the same qualities except maybe more adult. He told me to watch a show I forget the name of and I'm away from the computer. It has four words "tengan toppa gurran leggen" is what comes to my head. Anyways, its about giant face robots. It seemed alright, I watched five episodes and I just seemed to wacky. Maybe its supposed to be a comedy or a spoof? It also has a ton anime suedo smut which makes me feel weird watching overly sexuilized cartoon characters, but that's my own issue I guess. He hyped it to be the greatest anime and now I don't know if there is an anime for me. Sorry for the long post goons, but maybe you can recommend something for beginners?

Edit: another problem with that show is that the English dub was low rent as gently caress. And watching with subs was strange for me for some reason despite loving scandanavian film and being used to subs

Wait, were you watching original FMA? If so, watch Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood. Basically to make a long story short, FMA was a comic, when it became a show it was not complete so the show made up a large amount of it's own plot (also the comic was a lot less dark than it would become later, so original FMA is more light hearted), later when the comic had finished they made a new TV show that was much better and more serious (and adult oriented, better animated and a great deal more violent).

Also watch Samurai Champloo and Baccano!.

Samurai Champloo is really hard to explain, but suffice to say it tells a story about some wandering Samurai and does so by stealing a lot of cool story ideas and stuff from really unexpected places. It's one of the few shows where I'll say the English and Japanese dubs are on equal footing. Both feature casts of experienced people putting out good work. The guys who do the voices for the main characters are known in their fields for playing those character types well and the supporting casts are high quality.

Baccano is a show about the mob in New York, an ancient society of alchemists and most importantly a train filled with a bunch of people who want to kill each other. People argue a lot about the English dub for it, but at it's time it was the largest dub undertaking Funimation had ever done and used a large amount of people who had not been in many anime before (due to many of the cast being men over 30, which are a rarity in the industry) while some characters are notably bad it does fix the Japanese dubs big problem of two of the characters being offensively terrible.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Also watch Samurai Champloo and Baccano!.

Ay yo you did a crap job selling both of these.

Samurai Champloo is the spiritual successor to Cowboy Bebop. Nuff said, really. Where bebop is Space western and Jazz Champloo is Samurai movie and Hip Hop. It has one of the greatest soundtracks of anything ever, by Nujabes. Everything about it is great, just as you'd expect from Bebop's little brother. Its got more two part episodes, which I feel is really the only thing that makes it truly pale in comparison to Bebop. Otherwise its a fantastically fun ride, with great characters, humor and action. It should only be watched dubbed, just like Bebop.

Baccano has one of the best dubs in the biz. Baccanno takes place in the American 30s and its full of bootleggers and immortals and other miscreants. The dub really shines because Funimation put in the effort to make it feel like the 30's. Characters have accents and speaking patterns that fit the 30s and its just a joy to watch. The show itself is also fantastic, telling three stories concurrently in non chronological order. It has a large, colorful cast who are all a joy to watch. The three stories tie together well. Baccano is just great, and like Champloo and Bebop its dub is superior.

WAIT gently caress, WYA you need to see Fooly Cooly. Fooly Cooly is a coming of age story and I don't want to say more than that so as not to affect your enjoyment. Its got top class animation (it looks better than most recent shows even though it came out over 10 years ago) and a top class dub. The director himself hand picked the english cast, to give you an idea. Its only six episodes, so its all killer no filler. Its my favorite show ever, and you should really see it if you're looking for good general poo poo.

Dred Cosmonaut fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Aug 17, 2013

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

WAIT gently caress, WYA you need to see Fooly Cooly. Fooly Cooly is a coming of age story and I don't want to say more than that so as not to affect your enjoyment. Its got top class animation (it looks better than most recent shows even though it came out over 10 years ago) and a top class dub. The director himself hand picked the english cast, to give you an idea. Its only six episodes, so its all killer no filler. Its my favorite show ever, and you should really see it if you're looking for good general poo poo.

Dude thought Gurren Lagaan was too wacky, and you're recommending FLCL?

Honestly, do you people even read the original request for recommendations, or do you just parrot your favorite shows every time someone asks?

Anyhow, Cowboy Bebop, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, and Baccano! are all good recommendations. I'd add Monster if you can find it. It's a very atmospheric mystery-adventure with solid writing aimed squarely at adults.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
The full Gainax experience is incomplete without FLCL, TTGL, and Eva.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Nipponophile posted:

Dude thought Gurren Lagaan was too wacky, and you're recommending FLCL?

Honestly, do you people even read the original request for recommendations, or do you just parrot your favorite shows every time someone asks?

Anyhow, Cowboy Bebop, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, and Baccano! are all good recommendations. I'd add Monster if you can find it. It's a very atmospheric mystery-adventure with solid writing aimed squarely at adults.

Seconding Monster (though of course the other suggestions are solid choices too). There is talk of HBO making a live action version, but who knows if that will ever come to fruition. But I bring that up because it's exactly the sort of show that would be a hit if it were a live action show on a cable channel. Most of the cast are adults and there's little in the way of anime bullshit. Plus the plot is intriguing *and* has a solid resolution, which is nice since the typical long, overarching mysteries on TV have to be some sort of JJ Abrams ~mystery box~ that the writers don't know the answer to until the end.

e: VVV I wouldn't necessarily call it a terrible idea, I've had success showing off TTGL to non-anime watchers and they've liked it. Though in this particular case, we have someone asking for recommendations that doesn't want wacky stuff so yeah it's a bad fit.

Srice fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Aug 17, 2013

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

ViggyNash posted:

The full Gainax experience is incomplete without FLCL, TTGL, and Eva.

For someone new to anime, the "full Gainax experience" is a terrible recommendation. Gainax was/is a studio full of anime fans making anime for anime fans.

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006

Nipponophile posted:

For someone new to anime, the "full Gainax experience" is a terrible recommendation. Gainax was/is a studio full of anime fans making anime for anime fans.

In the first recomendation thread, people were still recommending Haruhi to newcomers.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

cisneros posted:

In the first recomendation thread, people were still recommending Haruhi to newcomers.
Yeah, nobody's ever gotten into anime off of Haruhi?

That said, for a dude who doesn't want goofy anime, anything Gainax is an incredibly bad choice.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Haruhi was actually my first anime, I watched it because I saw a clip of the Phoenix Wright parody.

I thought it was pretty cool.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

cisneros posted:

I was pretty indifferent to Haruhi from what I saw of it (which wasn't all, admittedly) but I thought it mostly sprang from my reaction to the main characters (Kyon and Haruhi) rather than my status as a relative newcomer to anime. I guess it does go to the referential well fairly often but that either went over my head or I didn't have an opinion on it either way.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I have a friend whose anime experience basically went Ghibli => LotGH => FLCL and now he's addicted.

Torix
Nov 9, 2005

Hilariously (especially due to the discussion) mine went from watching Eva and FLCL on Adult Swim, to watching Haruhi due to all the hype, to seeking out everything else. Everyone's got different taste.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

RabidWeasel posted:

I have a friend whose anime experience basically went Ghibli => LotGH => FLCL and now he's addicted.

I went Ghibli > Redline > Eva so him starting with FLCL early on isn't nearly as strange.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

ViggyNash posted:

I went Ghibli > Redline > Eva so him starting with FLCL early on isn't nearly as strange.
Maybe not strange, but when he explicitly says he doesn't want something wacky, and you recommend him something that is, and something he said he didn't like, those are bad recommendations.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

unpronounceable posted:

Maybe not strange, but when he explicitly says he doesn't want something wacky, and you recommend him something that is, and something he said he didn't like, those are bad recommendations.

Fair enough.

To the recommendee, I suggest finishing it, even if it isn't exactly your cup of tea. It really is one of the best shows of the last decade, wackinesa aside.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

ViggyNash posted:

I suggest finishing it, even if it isn't exactly your cup of tea.

Why waste time on something you aren't enjoying? This mindset makes absolutely no sense to me.

As a recommendation, I think Chrono Crusade would hit some of the same notes as FMA (action, intrigue, adventure, supernatural element). I'll also suggest Last Exile.

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Aug 17, 2013

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Everything Burrito posted:

Why waste time on something you aren't enjoying? This mindset makes absolutely no sense to me.
Yeah, if anything, I would suggest the approach I'm taking with Chihayafuru. I wasn't really enjoying the first episodes(mainly due to a completely incorrect recommendation) so I've taken a break from it and will try again later when I can just take it for what it is and not what I expected it to be. He can save GL for later down the road if he feels more "comfortable" or familiar with anime in general, since it benefits more from knowing and recognizing common anime gags.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Aug 17, 2013

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Viggynash has watched like 50 series in just a few months so his opinions on anime consumption habits are probably suspect.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

Yeah, if anything, I would suggest the approach I'm taking with Chihayafuru. I wasn't really enjoying the first episodes(mainly due to a completely incorrect recommendation) so I've taken a break from it and will try again later when I can just take it for what it is and not what I expected it to be.
Did you get past the flashback in the first few episodes? Once you get past that Chihayafuru becomes a lot better.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I got to episode 8 or 9, someone said up to then is mostly adding new characters and that it really hunkers down around 11 or so. Probably give it another go next week, but for now, it's Working!! time.

RebBrownies
Aug 16, 2011

Is .hack//sign good? I remember it being on as a kid and I didn't have the attention span to stomach it.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Pretty sure finding Hack/Sign boring as poo poo has nothing to do with childhood.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Yeah, while I like some things SIGN does I don't think I could ever actually recommend it (unless someone wanted something with those very specific things I guess). Its pacing is attrocious, and it's essentially a character study of the MC, with said MC being not particularly likeable at all in the Shinji mold for at least 3/4ths of its length.

E: Basically I tend to think of it as something that's nice to have seen for the things I like about it, but would never wish actually watching on even my worst enemy because drat does it get tedious.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
Do yourself a favour, and just listen to the soundtrack. It's the best part of hack//sign by a good margin.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
It's a pity since I find Tsukasa's character arc pretty good, and it does some pretty cool things considering it was essentially just meant as an introduction to the setting and some characters of the game series. It's just a pity that unlike other shows in a similar situation (character-focused with famously quiet and dour MCs, like Eva or Lain) SIGN doesn't really have anything else beyond nice music to keep the viewer's attention. Mostly because Lain stuck to 13 episodes and was all-around much better executed, and Eva had tons of action and poo poo going on and the plot wasn't 100% about Shinji (in that every plot point was about or even caused by him) like SIGN is about Tsukasa.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

RebBrownies posted:

Is .hack//sign good? I remember it being on as a kid and I didn't have the attention span to stomach it.

.hack//sign is about 3 episodes worth of story crammed into 26 episodes of anime.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

unpronounceable posted:

Do yourself a favour, and just listen to the soundtrack. It's the best part of hack//sign by a good margin.

Fun fact: the .hack//sign DvDs came with a bonus feature to watch them with dialogue and sound effects turned off. Presumably because the creators knew you were only going to care about the music anyways.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

unpronounceable posted:

It's such a great soundtrack, and yet they somehow managed to use it poorly.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
If I want some good rear end animation, but I've already seen the mainstays (Akria, Ghibli, Redline, GiTS, etc.), where would I look?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

If I want some good rear end animation, but I've already seen the mainstays (Akria, Ghibli, Redline, GiTS, etc.), where would I look?

Nichijou
Katanagatari
The Tatami Galaxy
Dead Leaves

• Locked thread