Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Any advance reviews out? I think three solid entries is my threshold for starting a new series.

Says right there reviews should be scheduled to run after publication date.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

fritz posted:

So's the Gerrold that people posted upthread.
Heinlein kind of makes stories to fit weird sex into; Gerrold used weird sex to show the unbridled narcissism and detachment from humanity his character felt. Also because it's like, one of the biggest things anybody would do with a time belt is "totally go make out with myself."

tliil
Jan 13, 2013
Top 3 reasons to travel back in time

1. Kill Hitler
2. Give AK-47s to Confederate soldiers
3. Sex with your underage self/underage girl you had a crush on/underage clone of yourself

Good job, science fiction writers! :thumbsup:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

tliil posted:

1. Kill Hitler

I did always like the short story someone wrote about that cliche, though.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
The only reason to time travel is to take a JFK from a dystopian future where he wasn't assassinated and have him go back in time with you to assassinate himself :colbert:

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Loving Life Partner posted:

The only reason to time travel is to take a JFK from a dystopian future where he wasn't assassinated and have him go back in time with you to assassinate himself :colbert:

Ah - the Red Dwarf Grassy knoll gambit.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

That's really good, especially from the point of view of an ex-wikipedia admin.

Ever since I read it, I've had a sneaking suspicion that Gerrold wanted to call his book The Man Who hosed Himself.

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince
I got Perdido Street Station a few days ago and it's really, really good. The best book I probably read this year.

My only problem is that I've been watching a lot of Family Guy recently and since Isaac is described as really fat I can't stop imagining him looking like Peter Griffin.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

Rurik posted:

I got Perdido Street Station a few days ago and it's really, really good. The best book I probably read this year.

My only problem is that I've been watching a lot of Family Guy recently and since Isaac is described as really fat I can't stop imagining him looking like Peter Griffin.

I imagine him as a slightly grizzlier Bunk Moreland from the Wire.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE

Copernic posted:

From Saladin Ahmed's twitter feed.

Ahh I hope this is good. I've been wanting to get into that series for a while now, but everyone said book 2 had a huge cliffhanger so I never bothered starting.

specklebang
Jun 7, 2013

Discount Philosopher and Cat Whisperer

Geek U.S.A. posted:

Ahh I hope this is good. I've been wanting to get into that series for a while now, but everyone said book 2 had a huge cliffhanger so I never bothered starting.

I wouldn't believe until I actually see it. This book has been postponed for years due to the authors mental instability. Book 1 is good as a stand-alone and is a really excellent book. Book 2 is pretty tedious.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Book 2 doesn't end on much of a cliffhanger, and I thought it was maybe 75% as good as the first, which is spectacular. Worth a read at least.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Slo-Tek posted:

poo poo, this is how I picture just about all the protagonists I read.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Rurik posted:

Isaac is clearly

Hedrigall posted:

Chiwetel Ejiofor if he eats like 40 cakes.

I mean, can you not see him all dissheveled and absent-minded-scientist-y and saying things like "Yag, old fellow" or whatever Isaac says?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Dear Neal Asher,

Please do not write about those dumb religion havers and how smart atheists are. Do not use the word Jihad. Do not write about how cool and horny immortal shipbabes are. And please don't write a weird scene where she's totally like "check out my snatch. lol we're naked"

Thank you,

A reader of Shell Game

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

specklebang posted:

I wouldn't believe until I actually see it. This book has been postponed for years due to the authors mental instability. Book 1 is good as a stand-alone and is a really excellent book. Book 2 is pretty tedious.

I've read it, it's real. You can believe in it.

'Mental instability' is a pretty lovely way to describe it, and you should feel bad!

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.

Slo-Tek posted:

It makes me irrationally angry whenever I see fanart of Isaac and he's white.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I don't think of anyone in Bas Lag as white because they're too busy being covered in literal poo poo and soot.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

General Battuta posted:

'Mental instability' is a pretty lovely way to describe it, and you should feel bad!

I imagine you're under a NDA, but can you make a relative comparison completely devoid of any plot information? Like, "It is as good as the second book," or something?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
No, I haven't read the first two :v:

specklebang
Jun 7, 2013

General Battuta posted:

How should I have described it? I wasn't trying to be unkind. I've written him regarding my own experiences with anxiety disorder. I've donated to his Martian serial story which has never been completed and I've bought his books (many times since I keep gifting TLOLL to friends). So I'm not trying to be an rear end. Why don't you just correct what I said.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

I assumed (unfairly) that you spoke out of hostility, tacit or otherwise. I took issue with the language because I don't think depression or anxiety really belong under the same label - 'instability' - as problems like schizophrenia or dissociative disorders. But I leapt to conclusions, and honestly you've done more to support him and people with similar issues than I have. I apologize.

specklebang
Jun 7, 2013

General Battuta posted:

I assumed (unfairly) that you spoke out of hostility, tacit or otherwise. I took issue with the language because I don't think depression or anxiety really belong under the same label - 'instability' - as problems like schizophrenia or dissociative disorders. But I leapt to conclusions, and honestly you've done more to support him and people with similar issues than I have. I apologize.

No problem Thanks for acknowledging and making peace.

I'm eagerly awaiting the new book.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Personally, I rather liked the movie starring Joseph Gordon-Levitt about that cliche.

Also, I'm pretty confident the best use of time travel is to ace a history assignment.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Chairchucker posted:

Personally, I rather liked the movie starring Joseph Gordon-Levitt about that cliche.

Also, I'm pretty confident the best use of time travel is to ace a history assignment.

Not the best use, just the most excellent.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance
Just finished Abaddon's Gate in The Expanse series and really enjoyed all three books; what should I read next for more space opera?

I'd also be down for something harder/darker like Revelation Space or more optimistic/progressive like The Culture series.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Chairchucker posted:

Not really, because history often gets distorted in the telling over the years, decades and centuries, and is always an interpretation of whomever recorded it and passed it along, so history tests probably don't reflect the real history very or entirely accurately. So if you'd go check for yourself what the correct answer is, you'd be correct in terms of the actual history and truth, but still might get an F on the test because is not the "correct" answer according to the answer sheet, due to the history and telling of it getting distorted since the original event happened.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

fookolt posted:

Just finished Abaddon's Gate in The Expanse series and really enjoyed all three books; what should I read next for more space opera?

I'd also be down for something harder/darker like Revelation Space or more optimistic/progressive like The Culture series.

Try Downbelow Station, I guess!

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Joramun posted:

Not really, because history often gets distorted in the telling over the years, decades and centuries, and is always an interpretation of whomever recorded it and passed it along, so history tests probably don't reflect the real history very or entirely accurately. So if you'd go check for yourself what the correct answer is, you'd be correct in terms of the actual history and truth, but still might get an F on the test because is not the "correct" answer according to the answer sheet, due to the history and telling of it getting distorted since the original event happened.

You do know that was a Bill & Ted joke, right?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Well I finally finished the last Dread Empire book. It was kind of awful between the pedo wizard, nothing happening for half of it, and it not really ending. Also between the 25 years it took to write it because the original manuscript got stolen Cook kind of forgot some of what happened in the earlier ones. Huge letdown after the rest of them. I'm taking the thread's advice and starting in on the Malazan series next, I think.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
I might have missed it already being talked about, but I just finished Emperor of Thorns to finish off the The Broken Empire series. It definitely isn't a series you can try and puzzle through what, exactly, happened in the past to cause the current state of events which distracted me a lot because I was looking for a explanation at some point. The ending was a let down for me, especially the twist at the end. I was hoping for something more epic or less vague, and it didn't help that the last hour of the book was one long massively rushed event at the "final confrontation" when it would have really been better served as a more strung out series of events, even if it had to be told via flashbacks.

All that being said, I didn't mind the series too much once I got past the whole "magic" system. The characters were passable enough even if very one dimensional, and so far it's only the second series I've ever read that had an actual Anti-Hero that actually fit the description of an Anti-Hero. Its definitely over the top and quite ridiculous at times, but at least it's consistent and there is no "I totally murdered hundreds of thousands and caused massive political upheaval but that was all a phase and now I'm married with kids and build shelters for orphans" coming out of nowhere. Other than that one aspect I don't think there is anything really positive I can say about it the book, other than it wasn't a really bad book either. If you're interested in anti-hero style books it's worth it, but if that gimmick doesn't interest you, or if you need more than that gimmick to carry the book, then don't read it because it won't do anything for you.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

fookolt posted:

Have you tried M John Harrison's "Light" trilogy? I've only read the first ([i[Light[/i), which is about two characters in the very far future and the dysfunctonal present-day inventor of their spaceship drives. It's dark.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

nessin posted:

I might have missed it already being talked about, but I just finished Emperor of Thorns to finish off the The Broken Empire series. It definitely isn't a series you can try and puzzle through what, exactly, happened in the past to cause the current state of events which distracted me a lot because I was looking for a explanation at some point. The ending was a let down for me, especially the twist at the end. I was hoping for something more epic or less vague, and it didn't help that the last hour of the book was one long massively rushed event at the "final confrontation" when it would have really been better served as a more strung out series of events, even if it had to be told via flashbacks.

All that being said, I didn't mind the series too much once I got past the whole "magic" system. The characters were passable enough even if very one dimensional, and so far it's only the second series I've ever read that had an actual Anti-Hero that actually fit the description of an Anti-Hero. Its definitely over the top and quite ridiculous at times, but at least it's consistent and there is no "I totally murdered hundreds of thousands and caused massive political upheaval but that was all a phase and now I'm married with kids and build shelters for orphans" coming out of nowhere. Other than that one aspect I don't think there is anything really positive I can say about it the book, other than it wasn't a really bad book either. If you're interested in anti-hero style books it's worth it, but if that gimmick doesn't interest you, or if you need more than that gimmick to carry the book, then don't read it because it won't do anything for you.

For another anti-hero series, there is the Left Hand of God by Paul Hoffman.
About as good as Broken Empire, although no magic whatsoever and British Spartans.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

House Louse posted:

Have you tried M John Harrison's "Light" trilogy? I've only read the first ([i[Light[/i), which is about two characters in the very far future and the dysfunctonal present-day inventor of their spaceship drives. It's dark.

Light is really good. Very dark, there is rarely any unmitigated good. Two of the characters are brokenly dysfunctional and almost completely deplorable. But the setting and writing is so cool it remains awesome. I had trouble getting through Nova Swing. Just didn't feel the same. Felt downright facetious at times. Taking a breather before book 3.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

If any of you are into short fiction I have a piece up on Strange Horizons, one of my favorite pro markets. Even comes with a podcast!

quote:

A problem of scale:

Why does it matter to Naveen that this relationship should or should not endure, when he spends his nights in the arms of the single most disruptive element in the history of human knowledge? How many lives could Hayden alter or save or enable if he just made himself available to science? There must be a means by which he retains his youth, some technique by which the preference for a cold beer becomes spontaneous refrigeration, some nonlocal tunneling effect, some daemon of computation or transmission—

Why is Hayden and Naveen important compared to Hayden and the world?

This is how Naveen realizes that he is in love.

e: For those of you who are constantly looking for good space opera, I also wrote a big stupid post about why I like Scott Westerfeld's Succession so much. Might be of interest.

General Battuta fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Aug 19, 2013

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Apropos of nothing, but I was so excited by the first edition A Darkness at Sethanon I picked up this weekend that I almost missed the fact that the copy of Shadow of a Dark Queen I grabbed was signed by Feist. I almost feel bad for paying a buck each for those. Almost.

Blog Free or Die
Apr 30, 2005

FOR THE MOTHERLAND
^^^How much can you flip it for on ebay, though :parrot:

I just finished a four book series by Megan Lindholm (from before she became Robin Hobb), the Ki and Vandien Quartet.

Not as good as her Hobb stuff, but it's really interesting to see her developing ideas to use later. There were human/nonhuman relationships that are both beneficial and morally questionable, people pouring their emotional memory and lives into works of art, and people metamorphosing and getting all scaly by getting a bit too close to powerful nonhumans. As well as some other stuff.

Not sure I'd recommend the books to anyone but a Hobb fan. They're a bit more pulpy than her regular stuff. Each book is pretty self contained, but also varies widely in tone from the previous one. The last one ends with a badass fencing tournament, though, so that's cool.

This has been Hobbchat, thanks for joining me.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

General Battuta posted:

E: For those of you who are constantly looking for good space opera, I also wrote a big stupid post about why I like Scott Westerfeld's Succession so much. Might be of interest.

Oh damnit, I didn't know The Risen Empire went by that name abroad so when I read your post I assumed Westerfeld had written more awesome space opera.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

General Battuta posted:

If any of you are into short fiction I have a piece up on Strange Horizons, one of my favorite pro markets. Even comes with a podcast!

This was fantastic, thanks. And it has inspired me to get going again on a story of my own.

For more content, I'm curious, how many people ITT have published SF/F, or tried to do so? I submitted to the James White Award last year, but didn't win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
I submitted shorts to magazines for awhile years ago. They're really bad and they were deservedly rejected, :laffo:

I still have about 3 fleshed out and plotted books that I really really want to write, one of them about 10% done even, but I always lose the thread or the inspiration falls away and I just stop.

That's what makes me think I'm not really a writer, just someone who likes to dabble in storytelling.