Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CarterUSM
Mar 17, 2004
Cornfield aviator

Typical Pubbie posted:

This was actually one of the few times when Cenk didn't get on my nerves. Orson Scott Card said that Michelle Obama will be the next president, and will equip "urban gangs" with military weapons to create a national police force to exterminate anyone who tries to escape from The People's Republic of Ameristania (slight embellishment on my part, but only slight).

Who's up for watching Ender's Game?

I like that he tries to play it off with his wishy-washy plausible deniability bullshit, "I'm just speculating here, people, don't take it seriously. Of COURSE that's not going to happen, BUT MAYBE IT WILL. Nah, no it won't, I'm just extrapolating. BUT KEEP YOUR HEADS DOWN, FOLKS. Nope, just kidding!"

What a clever man, keeping us on our toes like that! :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

comes along bort posted:

Did he coach basketball or football?

EDIT: For a second I got confused and thought it was the same history teacher that taught basketball (who was a total rear end in a top hat). In fact, it wasn't. This guy didn't coach anything, and had his Masters from Princeton in some aspect of history.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

baw posted:

The Economist was started to support the repeal of the Corn Laws, and the organization takes still great pride in this defense of the ~*free market*~

Whoops, I guess I stumbled into the wrong forum. When did they reopen LF?

Seriously, it was just a worthless out of date reference he made. The Economist, for all of its flaws, does not support tinpot dictators, and on social issues is well to the progressive side of most American media.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

predicto posted:

Seriously, it was just a worthless out of date reference he made. The Economist, for all of its flaws, does not support tinpot dictators, and on social issues is well to the progressive side of most American media.
Except Pinochet
and Banzer
and Stroessner
and Dupont
and Wrathall
and Botha
and Vorster
and Saakashvili
and Mubarak
and Abdullah of Saud
and Abdullah II of Jordan
and Nahyan
and Al Thani
and Al Khalifa

and it's support for attempted coups, like the Suez crisis
and the 2002 Venezuelan coup
and the 2010 Ecuador coup

Oh, and let's not forget their breathless praise for Louis Mountbatten in the Wilson years, paired with their praise for Verwoerd and Vorster.

The curious flipside to having been around since 1843 is that there are a lot of print archives, so it is real easy to go and see that while there may have been a half hearted condemnation of Pinochet in 2006 that spent most of the time blackwashing Allende, in the 70s they were singing his praises.

The Economist is one of the most important publications out there. I check it daily. But let's not pretend for one second that it isn't a total shill for a very specific set of interests. Just because it isn't Murdoch and Ailes levels of crazy does not mean is is preaching liberté, égalité, and fraternité. It stakes its commitment to "economic freedom" well ahead of anything else, and later tries to downplay when it gets caught, like in Ruth Dudley Edwards' history of it

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

ohgodwhat posted:

EDIT: For a second I got confused and thought it was the same history teacher that taught basketball (who was a total rear end in a top hat). In fact, it wasn't. This guy didn't coach anything, and had his Masters from Princeton in some aspect of history.

In that case, he was probably intentionally confusing his students, making it all the more terrible. Also, haven't there also been legitimate attempts since the 2012 election to not only make the EC work on a county level, but to give each county exactly one vote regardless of population? I've already heard plenty of Republicans in Washington State get extremely butthurt over the fact that "ONLY SEATTLE, TACOMA, AND BELLINGHAM VOTED FOR OBAMA IN '08. IT ISN'T FAIR." :qq:

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

ProperGanderPusher posted:

In that case, he was probably intentionally confusing his students, making it all the more terrible. Also, haven't there also been legitimate attempts since the 2012 election to not only make the EC work on a county level, but to give each county exactly one vote regardless of population? I've already heard plenty of Republicans in Washington State get extremely butthurt over the fact that "ONLY SEATTLE, TACOMA, AND BELLINGHAM VOTED FOR OBAMA IN '08. IT ISN'T FAIR." :qq:

The Republican party basically has decided that it wins elections by default and if it loses it was due to trickery, an unfair system, or the Democrats buying votes/using voter fraud. I kind of just assume that if the map were inverted and Republicans controlled population but not area we'd hear the OPPOSITE argument.

That, I think, is the key to understanding Republican politicians. They decided they own America, they ARE America, and deserve to win every election merely by virtue of existing.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

ProperGanderPusher posted:

Yep, I am sure that a ton of people in Omak and Cle Elum voted for McCain and yet why did he not win?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Parachute posted:

You should really check out "Hot Coffee" (it's on Netflix streaming now) if you haven't watched it. I can't remember if you had commented about it in the Netflix thread.

Watching it now.

I never knew. Wow. Man it's so easy to manipulate us.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I wonder if libertarians adore the "well you can just sue!" model of food safety and so on because right wingers are really big on swapping bullshit tort stories.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Pope Guilty posted:

I wonder if libertarians adore the "well you can just sue!" model of food safety and so on because right wingers are really big on swapping bullshit tort stories.

No in libertarian world the proper way to handle it would be to give them bad press so others know they're bad and stop going because the best way to hurt a multinational chain with a huge media arm is to protest a local issue right?

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Tatum Girlparts posted:

No in libertarian world the proper way to handle it would be to give them bad press so others know they're bad and stop going because the best way to hurt a multinational chain with a huge media arm is to protest a local issue right?

Or just start your own food company if they're really doing such a bad job.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

Or just start your own food company if they're really doing such a bad job.

If you were important enough to be fed, you'd already have a thriving food company. Personally, I don't trust any man who isn't a limited liability corporation, bonded and insured. It's a sad commentary that there are 7 billion people and far fewer than seven billion companies.
Around tax, never relax!

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Alternatively, if you enter into a voluntary exchange for food, then clearly the food must be valuable to you; the advantage of eating must outweigh the disadvantage of getting horribly ill from eating. What matters is that everything is voluntary, you see?

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The Republican party basically has decided that it wins elections by default and if it loses it was due to trickery, an unfair system, or the Democrats buying votes/using voter fraud. I kind of just assume that if the map were inverted and Republicans controlled population but not area we'd hear the OPPOSITE argument.

That, I think, is the key to understanding Republican politicians. They decided they own America, they ARE America, and deserve to win every election merely by virtue of existing.

I wouldn't be surprised if many of them also figured "I'll bet I pay more in taxes and use fewer government services than all those uppity welfare bums and over-educated hippies living in the city who vote straight Democrat, therefore I am more of a true American than them and my vote should count more!"

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

predicto posted:

The day The Economist stopped being dedicated to fellating the rich as hard as possible.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

So while this thread was closed, it was reported Cumulus is expected to keep Rush, but they're still dumping Hannity:

http://www.politico.com/blogs/media/2013/08/limbaugh-to-reup-hannity-to-split-with-cumulus-source-170639.html

And Michael Savage claims he gets to replace Hannity on those stations.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Vertical Lime posted:

So while this thread was closed, it was reported Cumulus is expected to keep Rush, but they're still dumping Hannity:

http://www.politico.com/blogs/media/2013/08/limbaugh-to-reup-hannity-to-split-with-cumulus-source-170639.html

Ha ha, this is even better. If that's the case then Hannity might actually disappear from several markets since clear channel might not want to bother scooping those markets up just for Hannity. That could even push clear channel to give someone else the after Limbaugh slot to keep things consistent. It's not like Hannity has a weekday TV show to schedule around anymore.

He must feel like his whole world is crashing down over the last few weeks. I love it.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Vertical Lime posted:

So while this thread was closed

That was a technical error, by the way, not the result of any bad behavior of the thread.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Vertical Lime posted:

Please oh please let this be true.

AutoL
Aug 15, 2006

Vertical Lime posted:

According to mediaite, Hannity is supposedly taking the "you can't fire me, I quit" route:

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/hannitys-had-it-host-will-ditch-cumulus-compete-against-replacement/

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Vertical Lime posted:

No matter how many times I try, I keep getting confused between Michael Savage and Dan Savage.:argh: Micheal Savage is the conservative talk show host, Dan Savage is the gay columnist who redefined Rick Santorum's name to be "The frothy mixture of lube and fecal matter that is sometimes the byproduct of anal sex.":nws: Greatest loving troll ever; Dan Savage, you are a patriot.:patriot:

And if we're lucky, it'll be back in the news again when Santorum runs in 2016!:v:

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

fade5 posted:

No matter how many times I try, I keep getting confused between Michael Savage and Dan Savage.:argh: Micheal Savage is the conservative talk show host, Dan Savage is the gay columnist who redefined Rick Santorum's name to be "The frothy mixture of lube and fecal matter that is sometimes the byproduct of anal sex.":nws: Greatest loving troll ever; Dan Savage, you are a patriot.:patriot:

And if we're lucky, it'll be back in the news again when Santorum runs in 2016!:v:

My favorite thing about that was Rick Santorum throwing a tantrum over the whole matter.

Sorry Ricky-poo, but when you hate on the gays that much you kind of just have to expect some sort of retaliation.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

fade5 posted:

Dan Savage is the gay columnist who redefined Rick Santorum's name to be "The frothy mixture of lube and fecal matter that is sometimes the byproduct of anal sex.":nws: Greatest loving troll ever; Dan Savage, you are a patriot.:patriot:

Unfortunately, he also basically refuses to acknowledge the importance of anything but the LG part of LGBTQ rights to the point of full-on transphobia (let alone all other sorts of horrible issues with him), so he's honestly not that amazing, however great his response to Santorum was.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Savage has actually made a great deal of progress on the BT section of LGBT, he's not perfect but he's come a good bit from 'don't transition while your kid's in school it's selfish'.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Savage has actually made a great deal of progress on the BT section of LGBT, he's not perfect but he's come a good bit from 'don't transition while your kid's in school it's selfish'.

Oh? I've still got a number of other problems with him, but I'm glad to hear that much, at least; can't ever complain about someone making progress.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Idran posted:

Oh? I've still got a number of other problems with him, but I'm glad to hear that much, at least; can't ever complain about someone making progress.

Yea obviously he's a very certain kind of entertainment so it's totally cool to not like him, but he has been trying fairly hard to be more aware of problematic stuff he's said, so that's always good.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

e: nope, nevermind, don't want to derail things in here

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Nice Davis posted:

I saw a great comment on Towleroad (I think?) about Dan Savage's "transphobia". It was about how junior activists like to beat up on allies because it's safer than going after actual enemies, but that as people mature they hopefully learn to set their sights on the actual opposition.

You are aware that Dan Savage has said some pretty lovely things about trans people in the past, right? I'm glad to hear that he's improving but I would definitely use the word "transphobia" to describe some his earlier stuff regardless of whether or not you put scare quotes around it.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea in fairness like, four years ago it was totes valid to say 'Dan Savage you have said some backwards rear end things and that is not cool', it sounds like the main point is more 'and now we as a community should be happy he's changed rather than beating up about the past' though.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea in fairness like, four years ago it was totes valid to say 'Dan Savage you have said some backwards rear end things and that is not cool', it sounds like the main point is more 'and now we as a community should be happy he's changed rather than beating up about the past' though.
Wow, I'm really glad to hear he's come around, that's great news.:)

It's actually a good comparison to the right-wing stance, where changing your opinions or not being perfectly in-line with the party doctrine automatically makes you a RINO and you must be primaried by someone who's more ideologically pure.

fade5 fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Aug 18, 2013

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Has he? I used to like his podcast but the blatant bias against male bisexuality and transphobia eventually drove me away. I may have to start listening to the newer ones again.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Paul MaudDib posted:

Has he? I used to like his podcast but the blatant bias against male bisexuality and transphobia eventually drove me away. I may have to start listening to the newer ones again.

Yea, it doesn't really come up a ton either way because 90% of his stuff is just kinda generic sex/dating advice with an LGBT supportive lean but yea, he no longer randomly goes into rambles about how if you think about it the transwoman is the selfish one or whatever.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Savage is now a major proponent of people who are bisexual to be open about it to others, as they are more marginalized than they should be

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
If there is a homosexual recruitment agenda, it is directed solely at bi people. Why can't a fellow like two things? S'not fair.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Typical Pubbie posted:

Cenk goes all broheim on the dumbest guy I know, Orson Scott Card.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZcpJXVBftE

Wow, this is some straight infowars stuff right here. Card has been listening to too much Alex Jones.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

When I think of right wing I think of Citizen Link (Focus on the Family). They posted a video of Stuart Shepard with a kid explaining how obamacare is wrong by using cups of water.

Shared Risk

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Aug 19, 2013

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

When I think of right wing I think of Citizen Link. They posted a video of Stuart Shepard with a kid explaining how obamacare is wrong by using cups of water

Shared Risk

Citizenlink is a horrible organization owned and operated by horrible people and has achieved almost total saturation on AM radio. It's not uncommon for them to pay for 2-3 commercial spots an hour on each station and they put out a new one every few weeks. Beyond pushing lovely opinions, their commercials are also among the most banal media spots in existence and they're absurdly long.

Seriously, gently caress Citizenlink. I literally can not sit through one of their ads and will switch to Pandora or just mute the volume for a few minutes if I'm listening on my phone at work.

swampland
Oct 16, 2007

Dear Mr Cave, if you do not release the bats we will be forced to take legal action

Sir Tonk posted:

Wow, this is some straight infowars stuff right here. Card has been listening to too much Alex Jones.

I think he's actually just been listening to too much of himself.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Good Citizen posted:

Ha ha, this is even better. If that's the case then Hannity might actually disappear from several markets since clear channel might not want to bother scooping those markets up just for Hannity. That could even push clear channel to give someone else the after Limbaugh slot to keep things consistent. It's not like Hannity has a weekday TV show to schedule around anymore.

He must feel like his whole world is crashing down over the last few weeks. I love it.

Clear Channel will probably just put him on all their talk stations after Rush and just eat the difference, it's Cumulus that is hosed here. Can you think of two more off putting personalities back to back that Dr. Michael Weiner and Mark Levin? I haven't seen any numbers as far as what percentage of Levin's audience sticks around for Savage but I have a hard time believing there's a lot of crossover aside from the genuinely mentally ill, and I can't think of another 6 hours of radio that does less to bring new people to the party that these two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Typical Pubbie posted:

Cenk goes all broheim on the dumbest guy I know, Orson Scott Card.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZcpJXVBftE

Thanks for posting this! I missed the original post and only caught the quotation above, but decided to see how out of control Card has become.
This isn't the kind of journalism (or maybe I should say, "journalism,") that I typically like because of all the name calling. That said, given the quotations cited in the piece, Orson really is a gigantic douchechill (there I go with the name-calling) who is completely detached from reality.

I loved Ender's Game as a kid, and I can even read it now, knowing all the controversy surrounding it, and still enjoy it for what it felt like the first time I read it, spoilered just in case: a sensitive boy with leadership qualities who was never allowed to realize the consequences of his actions and eventually committed an atrocity without knowing it. Please note, this is my interpretation of that single work, ignoring the subsequent books, and IS IN NO WAY INTENDED TO START A DERAIL ABOUT ENDER'S GAME IN THIS THREAD.

Orson Scott Card. I don't know if he's trolling, taken out of context, or literally that hosed up. I suspect he's literally THAT hosed up.

That was a fun watch, thanks for posting it.