Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!

Chainclaw posted:

Hey, PAX panels are listed. Cool to see my name here as the engineer: http://prime.paxsite.com/schedule/panel/all-your-words-are-belong-to-us-how-localization-works-and-why-it-sometimes

Thanks for the hookup, GetWellGamers, I've been wanting to do PAX panels and the like for a while.

Also weird to think that when I signed up for this, I was unemployed. At this point I've been working for a few months.

Haha, yeah, things change in the industry pretty quick. That's why we put down the relevant jobs and not the current ones. :P

And as for the title, it makes sense to me- I mean, can you think of a more well-known case of bad localization?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uglynoodles
May 28, 2009

I'm pretty excited to be going into an internship at TT Fusion later this month where I'll be working on one of the new Lego games. I'll only be there for a week and it's unpaid but I bet I will learn a lot.
After that in September I'm going to get a BA Hons in Games Art at uni, been accepted and sorted a student loan and everything. I'm not counting on the degree I'll get to get me a job, but moreso learning what I need to make a good portfolio. I'd really love to go to one of these cons you guys are talking about.
I'm really looking forward to it. It's a 3 year course, and I'm sure by the time the end of it rolls around my portfolio will look a lot better than it does right now!

This time last year I had no idea what a vertex was, let alone how to move it around, so I think the course will help me a lot. :)

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

uglynoodles posted:

I'm pretty excited to be going into an internship at TT Fusion later this month where I'll be working on one of the new Lego games. I'll only be there for a week and it's unpaid but I bet I will learn a lot.
After that in September I'm going to get a BA Hons in Games Art at uni, been accepted and sorted a student loan and everything. I'm not counting on the degree I'll get to get me a job, but moreso learning what I need to make a good portfolio. I'd really love to go to one of these cons you guys are talking about.
I'm really looking forward to it. It's a 3 year course, and I'm sure by the time the end of it rolls around my portfolio will look a lot better than it does right now!

This time last year I had no idea what a vertex was, let alone how to move it around, so I think the course will help me a lot. :)

Nice! I didn't know you were a good ol' canuck. Internships are great, especially if it's a short unpaid one where they aren't going to be exploiting you for too long and are actually teaching you stuff.

Oh, and by the way, conceptart and illustration are actually two different art streams, so you should probably divide that section up.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

uglynoodles posted:

That's OK, I've known what vertices are for years and still have no idea how to draw.

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

It's just like real life.
Can I interest you in some metal, some colorful zombies, or a training montage? Do you like being unable to tell what type of game a video is actually about? Well do I have a link for you! This'll be our first big/real game since breaking out on our own. I admit to being incredibly terrified of the road ahead. But sort of excited too?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SmXAaASxWY

We'll be open sourcing a bunch of our wack rear end Haxe / Unity libraries for all of your extreme cross-platform enjoyment. And being big blabber mouths over the next few weeks and months.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

devilmouse posted:

Can I interest you in some metal, some colorful zombies, or a training montage? Do you like being unable to tell what type of game a video is actually about? Well do I have a link for you! This'll be our first big/real game since breaking out on our own. I admit to being incredibly terrified of the road ahead. But sort of excited too?

We'll be open sourcing a bunch of our wack rear end Haxe / Unity libraries for all of your extreme cross-platform enjoyment. And being big blabber mouths over the next few weeks and months.

Real-time Zombie RTS? Sign me up! Also love, love, loooove the art style, really great stuff.

DancingPenguin
Nov 27, 2012

I ish kakadu.

devilmouse posted:

This looks amazing.
Looking forward to this, keep me updated!

You sure that you will be able to escape copyright infringement with a name such as "The Spitter" though? :ohdear:
(I have no idea how copyright laws work.)

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

DancingPenguin posted:

You sure that you will be able to escape copyright infringement with a name such as "The Spitter" though?

There's (probably) enough differentiation that it won't be a problem. I hope! :ohdear: indeed.

Gearman posted:

Real-time Zombie RTS? Sign me up! Also love, love, loooove the art style, really great stuff.

RTS-ish, yeah. We were joking about what to call the genre at some point early on... "It's an MMO RPG RTS!!!" (Why did we choose to do this with our team size and budget?!?!)

I'll pass the feedback along to the art director. He'll appreciate it after the week he's had putting this together.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

^^^^ That looks great, I will definitely check it out.

Does anybody here work in Edutainment? In an odd twist of events I am actually heading towards that direction instead of advertising, as I said a few days ago.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Chernabog posted:

Does anybody here work in Edutainment? In an odd twist of events I am actually heading towards that direction instead of advertising, as I said a few days ago.
Kind of. I work in "serious games," where projects are often edutainment. I'm making a game at work right now that's about educating, and is supposed to be entertaining!

Frown Town
Sep 10, 2009

does not even lift
SWAG SWAG SWAG YOLO

devilmouse posted:

:allears: That is seriously beautiful-- can you tell your artists that I love the art direction? The silhouettes and color choices are ultra appealing. Great job on the promo video! Are you still a tiny team? (I wouldn't know it by the trailer)

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

I really hope you work the Brute's dainty side into the gameplay somehow, where, like, he can't break down an object that has tiny woodland creatures in it, so you need to use the other two classes to find some way to entice them to leave so the brute can be brutish. That's the kind of character that would really make it stand out from the lots and lots of other zombie games out there.

Dinurth
Aug 6, 2004

?

devilmouse posted:

Can I interest you in some metal, some colorful zombies, or a training montage? Do you like being unable to tell what type of game a video is actually about?

As far as trailers that tell me nothing about the actual gameplay go, this one is awesome. Seriously, just the words zombie RTS make me giddy.

In other news, I have to give a big thanks and recommendation to Diplomaticus, I recently found myself in need of some light legal counsel and he is absolutely fantastic. If you work in games and need legal advice, he is your man without a doubt.

Which brings me to this;

If anyone is looking for, or knows of anyone looking for a Producer please let me know! I've been a dev producer for several years. I am someone who gets his hands dirty, I don't just schedule, and budget, and teach people how to agile correctly, but I get in and do design, writing, light coding, etc, when needed.

I just wrapped up some consulting work for an idie studio and would love to add more work on whether it's another consulting gig or a different full time gig (see: needing legal advice).

/end shameless job hunting

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

Frown Town posted:

:allears: That is seriously beautiful-- can you tell your artists that I love the art direction? The silhouettes and color choices are ultra appealing. Great job on the promo video! Are you still a tiny team? (I wouldn't know it by the trailer)

They have been told! We're still small (at least to me) at 9 people, but that video was mostly the work of 3 artists + a friend doing the sound and music over the course of two or three weeks.

GetWellGamers posted:

I really hope you work the Brute's dainty side into the gameplay somehow...

Haha, yes! This got many smiles around the table. Right now, whenever the Brute comes up, we seem to have given him a Hodor-like quality where he just wanders around smashing things and saying "HOT DOG" and smiling his goofy grin. We'll see how long that lasts.

I'm weirdly excited to get to control how the game comes across in the press instead of having weird messages come out of a marketing department or an inadvertent CEO interview (though we're going to be putting the guys going to PAX through some non-trivial media training so they hopefully don't make the same mistakes and promise something completely out there).

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
That video is sweet and you are an extremely talented bunch of nerds.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
That music is absolutely appropriate for a motherfucking montage. Rock on.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

"Non-trivial media training"? What does that entail? "Don't stay anything stupid and don't pronounce anything as certain and promised"?

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

uglynoodles posted:

Huh, I didn't know they even held internships. I wish they'd hire me, I have friends there and I live quite close. :ohdear:

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Akuma posted:

I'm making a game at work right now that's about educating, and is supposed to be entertaining!

That's probably my biggest concern about that. How do you make a game that is both educational and fun? I feel like a lot of educational games fail on the later. They just have a so-so game and a block of text with information or a dull questionnaire.
You need to entwine the game mechanics with the educational parts but that is not always possible in a seamless fashion.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Chernabog posted:

That's probably my biggest concern about that. How do you make a game that is both educational and fun? I feel like a lot of educational games fail on the later. They just have a so-so game and a block of text with information or a dull questionnaire.
You need to entwine the game mechanics with the educational parts but that is not always possible in a seamless fashion.
Indeed. For us it depends a lot on the client: what environment the product is for (user at home up to large scale presentation with audience participation), how much the subject matter can align with existing "real" games for us to sort of base the game on and show them so they can understand what they're getting, and how true to life the game actually has to be.

For my current game I got lucky with all of those points, the subject could be mapped onto the template of a business sim and the client was cool with it being fairly gamey and not totally true to life (so long as we pointed that out within the game.)

But if you're doing it commercially, to sell to end-users and not bespoke for organisations, then all bets are off. I totally do not miss sales targets.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wp64f7xXI1o

It's a tad surreal to see your work being hocked on QVC for the "sale" price of $30 over MSRP.

Edit: Oh, that price may include the sidekicks pack which makes it a "sale" price of EXACTLY MSRP, but still...

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
Found out my most loathed former art manager got laid off today. I've never been happy about somebody being laid off but boy did that prick make my life hell. As a warning to any AAA studio employees here, don't hire an art manager named Gordon. He will literally destroy your art team from the inside out. You have been warned. :D

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!

Dinurth posted:

If anyone is looking for, or knows of anyone looking for a Producer please let me know!

PM me your resume.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

ceebee posted:

Found out my most loathed former art manager got laid off today. I've never been happy about somebody being laid off but boy did that prick make my life hell. As a warning to any AAA studio employees here, don't hire an art manager named Gordon. He will literally destroy your art team from the inside out. You have been warned. :D
I feel that way about someone I used to work with, but I still wouldn't name him. It's never that easy - office politics can twist an otherwise fine worker into some abomination, if the circumstances are right for it. Never even mind that you only ever get half the story, and usually don't see the management-level causes for the despicable actions being taken.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Dinurth posted:

As far as trailers that tell me nothing about the actual gameplay go, this one is awesome. Seriously, just the words zombie RTS make me giddy.

In other news, I have to give a big thanks and recommendation to Diplomaticus, I recently found myself in need of some light legal counsel and he is absolutely fantastic. If you work in games and need legal advice, he is your man without a doubt.

Which brings me to this;

If anyone is looking for, or knows of anyone looking for a Producer please let me know! I've been a dev producer for several years. I am someone who gets his hands dirty, I don't just schedule, and budget, and teach people how to agile correctly, but I get in and do design, writing, light coding, etc, when needed.

I just wrapped up some consulting work for an idie studio and would love to add more work on whether it's another consulting gig or a different full time gig (see: needing legal advice).

/end shameless job hunting

If you have practical development experience and are a producer Pm me immediately.

Dinurth
Aug 6, 2004

?

Sigma-X posted:

If you have practical development experience and are a producer Pm me immediately.

Pm sent, thank you! Also thank you to the others that have PM'd me so quickly, I love you guys and gals.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

Shalinor posted:

I feel that way about someone I used to work with, but I still wouldn't name him. It's never that easy - office politics can twist an otherwise fine worker into some abomination, if the circumstances are right for it. Never even mind that you only ever get half the story, and usually don't see the management-level causes for the despicable actions being taken.

Funny you bring this up, because there was an interesting version of this that happened over at the QA webcomic "The Trenches". The comic itself is on the low end of mediocre, but the "Tales from the trenches" stories are pretty great- I submitted one myself that got recently ran, about my time at Blizzard- and there was an interesting thing that went down a little bit ago.

So, like, two years ago there's this tale:

http://trenchescomic.com/tales/post/you-are-not-your-loving-bugcount

about an "insufferable co-worker" who sounded like grognard.txt working on an RPG. Like most trenches tales, the specifics were kept obscure.

Then, just a few weeks ago, that guy responds:

http://trenchescomic.com/tales/post/i-am-that-guy

and names the company, game, and everything else. And then like two or three hours later I see "I think I know who that guy is!" on a fiend's facebook, and his friends asking for the scoop in PMs.

Never underestimate how far your reputation or words or actions will reach in this industry. It's truly scary how incestuous we all still are and how quickly "secrets" travel mouth to mouth.

AmazonTony
Nov 23, 2012

I'm the Marketing Manager for Amazon's Digital Video Games group. Feel free to ask me questions about upcoming and current deals. We'll also be doing community giveaways, Q&As with developers, and Podcasts with ++GoodGames.

devilmouse posted:

Great video dude, also, I didn't realize you were launching on PC in 2014 (I feel like this wasn't planned when we met at Pax East). This means I can't wear my hobo clothes to meet up with your CEO :(.

Seriously though, psyched for you man, glad the project is going well!

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

I can now announce that I'll be in Seattle for PAX as part of the Indie MEGABOOTH. I'm only exhibiting Monday, though - I'm part of the minibooth they're doing this year. The other days, I'll be wandering around / trying to fill with press appointments.

(We're showing off Hot Tin Roof... which you'll hear more about starting the 26th)

So, if anyone wants to link up while I'm in the area, do gimme a shout. Also, press types that want to try the demo now, press@glassbottomgames.com.

AmazonTony
Nov 23, 2012

I'm the Marketing Manager for Amazon's Digital Video Games group. Feel free to ask me questions about upcoming and current deals. We'll also be doing community giveaways, Q&As with developers, and Podcasts with ++GoodGames.

Shalinor posted:

I can now announce that I'll be in Seattle for PAX as part of the Indie MEGABOOTH. I'm only exhibiting Monday, though - I'm part of the minibooth they're doing this year. The other days, I'll be wandering around / trying to fill with press appointments.

(We're showing off Hot Tin Roof... which you'll hear more about starting the 26th)

So, if anyone wants to link up while I'm in the area, do gimme a shout. Also, press types that want to try the demo now, press@glassbottomgames.com.

Echoing this I'm in Seattle and will be hanging with a couple of people in this thread. If anyone wants to meet up feel free to drop me a line at aricharv@amazon.com

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

Bunch of us going to PAX, looks like- Should we do something like the GDC Chevy's meet-up? There's tons of good restaurants near the convention center... Hell, Pike's is just a quick jaunt away and they're a smorgasbord of good eateries.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

GetWellGamers posted:

Bunch of us going to PAX, looks like- Should we do something like the GDC Chevy's meet-up? There's tons of good restaurants near the convention center... Hell, Pike's is just a quick jaunt away and they're a smorgasbord of good eateries.

I won't be going to Pax but work at a block from the market, and 4 blocks from the convention center and would be up for a goon meet-up. The comedy answer is always Cheesecake Factory across from the convention center.

Chosen
Jul 11, 2002
Vibrates when provoked.
Anyone from the Chicago Wargaming office here? I just signed on -- should start mid September. Pretty pumped.

AmazonTony
Nov 23, 2012

Hughlander posted:

I won't be going to Pax but work at a block from the market, and 4 blocks from the convention center and would be up for a goon meet-up. The comedy answer is always Cheesecake Factory across from the convention center.

I'm totally down. Dragonfish has a killer Happy Hour and is about 3 blocks from the convention center, also a viable option.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

I am down for a meetup, but take pity on us poor indies and please don't choose a super expensive trendy nightspot ;)

Also, Friday night I'm having dinner with Valve, so like, no way am I skipping that. The other nights are parties, but they mostly start later anyways.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

Chosen posted:

Anyone from the Chicago Wargaming office here? I just signed on -- should start mid September. Pretty pumped.

Oh cool, your boss (or rather your boss's boss) is a friend of mine!

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

AmazonTony posted:

I'm totally down. Dragonfish has a killer Happy Hour and is about 3 blocks from the convention center, also a viable option.

Not sure I'd want to go to a place that can't even get a map to their location right. (What they call Union is Olive, Union is actually off the map beyond Pike.)

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

I think a meetup would be fun. I've gone to one other meetup, a Seattle retro gaming meetup and it was a great time.

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010
Hey! I've been studying Japanese(history, culture, language, etc) at university for the past 3 years and am soon going to start studying at Rikkyou for a year. However, there's a good chance that I'll only stay there for half a year, and I'd very much like to make effective use of my time in the event that ends up being the case. I think I have several job opportunities back in my home country through some contacts, but I'd at least like to entertain the possibility of translating video games from Japanese to English or even Dutch/French(though my French isn't good enough to start doing that anytime soon, I've at least lived in a partly French speaking country all my life so learning it isn't all that difficult, just time consuming).

So my question is, how should I go about it? The way I see it is that I need to understand referential humour and obtuse pop-culture ques(Variations on 異論あり, キャラ語, etc ). What would be the best course of action to immerse myself in these things? Furthermore, on what criteria do they interview people for jobs like this? What's the reality behind the job? Are localisation teams sometimes based in Japan or would I need to move to England/America if I really wanted a job like that?

I'd really like to explore my opportunities while I'm there, you see. If I do return to Belgium after half a year my intention is to start working as a guide in Bruges/Brussels for Japanese tourists(hopefully) in order to save money to return to Japan, and I think that at this point my current 'dream job' would be translating anything pop-culture related. Even if it's just to get more experience.

EDIT: Furthermore, how much would it help to have a masters as opposed to a bachelor degree? The thing is that the masters degree is pretty useless in terms of content. Everyone I know that did it regrets doing it since at that level they learn a lot more by just being in Japan. But it's only one extra year on the other hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Not really my field, but I would assume that directly related experience is useful just like it is everywhere else. Have you done any manga/anime/game translations (there are /loads/ of fan groups that do this). My assumption is that knowledge of the language you're translating to is just as/more important than knowledge of the language you're translating from. I know someone around here bootstrapped his own translation company and could give better advice..

Most of the translation houses I know of are in Southern California; some of them are subsidiaries of Japanese firms, others are independent. Salaries probably aren't great, but livable.

No, really; direct experience is a thing, in every field. It's the difference between telling someone looking to give you money, "I have a piece of paper that says I might be qualified to do this at an entry level" vs. "I made a thing and shipped it, look how terrible this thing that exists is." Always assume you're going against people with the slip of paper, direct experience, and positive references; plan accordingly.