Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Rirse posted:

Is there a way to get the game working without disabling CK+? Ever since the patch the game gets stuck on the "Loading flags.." title card. I would just wait for CK+ to updated, but the modder said it wont' be updated anymore.

Came here to ask this, I just want to beat up some Muslims and stab some Nobles. :(

Edit: So there's this CK2+ Continuation Mod over at Paradox Forums, which currently crashes when loading a save game:

Some guy on Paradox forums posted:

We should have an update out late tonight or tomorrow, depending on ease of fix for current issues.

:toot:

Some guy on Paradox forums posted:

Unfortunately this fix comes with a bunch of other fixes and as such will make previous saves incompatible. I promise this will be the last time (for a while at least) that we do something save-breaking, but it's required in this case.

:negative:

beer_war fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Aug 18, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

Is there a simple mod that shows character ID's in the tooltip?

I thought I had it at one point, but I think I've went and deleted it. Its a right pain in the arse rummaging through the save file to find it.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Tindahbawx posted:

Is there a simple mod that shows character ID's in the tooltip?

I thought I had it at one point, but I think I've went and deleted it. Its a right pain in the arse rummaging through the save file to find it.

Type "charinfo 1" in the console.

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

I can't seem to mod council jobs to allow females only for pagans under absolute cognatic succession.

code:
job_chancellor = {
	is_chancellor = yes
	attribute = diplomacy
	dignity = 0.33
	opinion_effect = 15

monthly_salary = 0.1
	monthly_prestige = 0.015

allow = {
		OR = {
			is_female = no
			AND = {
				religion_group = pagan_group
				liege = {
					religion_group = pagan_group
					succession_laws = true_cognatic_succession
				}
			}
		}
		is_adult = yes
		prisoner = no
		NOT = { trait = incapable }
	}
	gain_effect = {
	}
	lose_effect = {
		opinion = { who = FROM modifier = opinion_fired_from_council }
	}

action = action_improve_relations
	action = action_fabricate_claims
	action = action_sow_dissent

lift_fow = yes
}
This way, women show up as candidates even for pagans who haven't changed their succession laws, so the syntax I used obviously isn't being accepted by the game.

Can any of you code-wizards lend me a hand here? Unfortunately, I wasn't able to find any of the various 'girl power' mods to copy lines out of.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

YorexTheMad posted:

Any recommendations for a fun starting character in the Byzantine Empire, either vanilla or Old Gods start? I'd like to take a stab at reforming the Roman Empire.

The Byzantine start in 867 is incredibly powerful. If you don't want to play the emperor himself I'd suggest playing a duke that is not landlocked so that you can use the holy war CB to take land, preferably someone on the Mediterranean or Adriatic coasts. Start forging claims on the Italian provinces right away since those will be the hardest to get.

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

TjyvTompa posted:

Awesome, thanks!

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Gimmick Account posted:

I can't seem to mod council jobs to allow females only for pagans under absolute cognatic succession.

<snip>

I don't think "succession_laws" is a thing. Try "has_law = <whatever>".

Lars Krimi
Jul 1, 2003

Arcturas posted:

When it comes to trying to change to primogeniture, is there any way other than going to max crown authority to stop your vassals from fighting?

This is a really annoying thing about this game. When you build up a large domain there seems to come a point when there will always be internal wars going on somewhere. These wars also tend to go on for years or decades as the AI has no idea how to pick a fight or win it. If you want to change succession laws, do it while you are as small as possible and then live with that decision. You can't easily change laws in an empire if at all. As the byzantine empire I waited around for about 50 years for a peaceful moment to change to elective but never found one. I also tried assassinating the people starting the fights. Maybe you could revoke the titles of the people fighting, but that's hard to do without incurring a ton of tyranny penalty, even as the byzantine empire.

If that frustrates you as much as it did me, just write allow_laws in the console.

One method that I have not tried yet but which might be somewhat effective might be to not have any counts. If all dukes are in possession of all the counties in their duchy, then fewer fights would probably break out. They would also be more powerful of course, and I doubt it would be long before counties started getting exchanged, handed out, or inherited.

Lars Krimi fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Aug 18, 2013

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

TjyvTompa posted:

This looks really ugly though, it's possible to mod a localization file so that you get the character ID with the character tooltip still looking 'natural' if you are a sperg about things like that like I am.

This one is pretty good for example:

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

Allyn posted:

I don't think "succession_laws" is a thing. Try "has_law = <whatever>".

Awesome, that worked! Thanks!!

Dean Hardpackage
Aug 5, 2006

ask me about my video game achievements
Playing as the republic of Amalfi and was using the "grant independance" followed by county claim CB to revoke mayor's titles and make cities my county seat instead of baronies. After doing this about 5 times however the "grant independence" option is no longer available and now I can only revoke titles. Is there a limit to the # of times you can grant independence?

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Dean Hardpackage posted:

Playing as the republic of Amalfi and was using the "grant independance" followed by county claim CB to revoke mayor's titles and make cities my county seat instead of baronies. After doing this about 5 times however the "grant independence" option is no longer available and now I can only revoke titles. Is there a limit to the # of times you can grant independence?
You can't grant independence to De Jure vassals.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Ofaloaf posted:

It's fun to practice amateur map-making with Paradox games. It'd be more fun if I knew how to make maps less cluttered, though. :sigh:

Seriously, it's amazing what these games can motivate you to do.

Great map! Things you could try to do is to make certain names 'pop' while others recede, like adding a faint white outline to the more important areas, putting the royal domain's name in red (or whatever color is associated with your KoJ), changing the opacity on the less important places so that they are less visible (but not annoyingly so). All sorts of stuff, really! Look at real-life maps and check out poo poo over at cartographersguild.com.

Amateur cartography is me #2 hobby; paradox really are enablers.

nuzak
Feb 13, 2012
having some bug problems: firstly, many options, such as ambitions, plots, and honorary titles will show up multiple times (kill wife twice, name cupbearer twice- the icon for having a son that pops up when you click on ambition occurs twice, which makes the menu twice as long since all are duplicated). also, speeding up time passing crashes the game to desktop, and after less than a month a blank event will pop up- a picture, but no text or options to dismiss it, so it essentially stops me playing the game. any ideas? i've never modded the game or anything, but i'm coming back to it after a bit of a hiatus (last DLC i bought was sword of islam).

are there any kind souls who can offer me some advice?

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Lars Krimi posted:

One method that I have not tried yet but which might be somewhat effective might be to not have any counts. If all dukes are in possession of all the counties in their duchy, then fewer fights would probably break out. They would also be more powerful of course, and I doubt it would be long before counties started getting exchanged, handed out, or inherited.
This would not work either since the AI likes to plot just because the plot is available, not because they would actually gain something from it. Same with most of the wars they fight, especially all the "tyranny against liege" wars they fight which seems to stem from nothing at all except that a character for some reason dislikes another be it traits or diplomacy stat. The only thing I think that could end all the stupid internal wars would be to somehow make a mod that makes the AI totally unable to declare any wars except de jure wars, holy wars, wars started from factions getting their demands refused by the liege and succession wars. I have no idea how one would do this though.

Especially irritating are the wars that counts without any money to hire mercenaries and extremely small levies start, they obviously have no chance of winning these wars but yet they start them and the continue on in perpetuity until there is a white peace sometimes decades afterwards.

Dean Hardpackage
Aug 5, 2006

ask me about my video game achievements

Kainser posted:

You can't grant independence to De Jure vassals.

What exactly constitutes a De Jure vassal? Now that I think about it I believe the people I granted independence to and reclaimed were Orthodox and I was Catholic, is that what allowed me to do it or am I missing another mechanic here? I should note that I have no other titles besides being the Doge of Amalfi and the counties themselves.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

SpRahl posted:

No the reason he should pick the second guy is because he has higher martial and thats all that matters for the Norse :colbert:

The second guy has better stats and much better traits. Both are just for +10 relationship, but the second guy has brave for another +10, and strong for yet another +10. The first guy has attractive which is +5 with female and gay male vassals, but the same people are also attracted to strong so the strong trait is just better. And I can't remember if you get another +5 for gregarious, but the second guy is just much better.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Torrannor posted:

The second guy has better stats and much better traits. Both are just for +10 relationship, but the second guy has brave for another +10, and strong for yet another +10. The first guy has attractive which is +5 with female and gay male vassals, but the same people are also attracted to strong so the strong trait is just better. And I can't remember if you get another +5 for gregarious, but the second guy is just much better.

I dont think you understand what I was saying. As a Norse he should be picking the most :black101: person as his heir, that this person also has better diplomacy and traits is just a fringe bonus.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

nutranurse posted:

Amateur cartography is me #2 hobby; paradox really are enablers.

Which programs are you using to make your maps with? I have often thought about doing the same (my own guilty pleasure is creating biographies and timelines for my characters/their kingdoms) but I have zero experience doing anything in photoshop. It would be a learning experience!

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

How do I manage Decadence?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Baron Porkface posted:

How do I manage Decadence?

With murder. Kill excess sons, kill decadent dynasty members. Ramadan and holy war often.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

fool_of_sound posted:

With murder. Kill excess sons, kill decadent dynasty members. Ramadan and holy war often.

Is there a way that's less risky than assassination?

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em

Baron Porkface posted:

Executions.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Baron Porkface posted:

As a Muslim you are allowed to imprison any male family member that isnt your son for no reason at all, you wont generate any tyranny. They wont generate decadence in prison but if you're feeling bloodthirsty I think you are also allowed to execute them for o penalty as well. Actually their parents will get pissed off but his father should already be in prison anyway.

trashcangammy
Jul 31, 2012

SpRahl posted:

As a Muslim you are allowed to imprison any male family member that isnt your son for no reason at all, you wont generate any tyranny. They wont generate decadence in prison but if you're feeling bloodthirsty I think you are also allowed to execute them for o penalty as well. Actually their parents will get pissed off but his father should already be in prison anyway.

I always thought this was kind of weird, I'm no stickler for historical accuracy but the way you're meant to handle decadence always seemed bizarre to me. It was an easy thing to manage when you knew how but the implementation seems dumb: you're basically imprisoning your brothers in case they gently caress some whores in the future. It's like a medieval minority report. I wonder what historical basis they had for this kind of gameplay.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Is there a mod that lets me turbo-arrest them?

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

trashcangammy posted:

It's like a medieval minority report. I wonder what historical basis they had for this kind of gameplay.

Probably this.

It's still an iffy generalisation, historically, but it's pretty clearly what they were going for.

trashcangammy
Jul 31, 2012

Dallan Invictus posted:

Probably this.

It's still an iffy generalisation, historically, but it's pretty clearly what they were going for.

Thanks, that's pretty interesting stuff. Nice digs for a prison from the looks of it too. All the same, maybe not the best hook if you want to distinguish muslim players from the rest.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Yeah imprisoning male relatives was really only a Turkish thing, so it's pretty silly to have it for every Muslim. I'd definitely play as a Muslim more if Paradox added more succession laws for them and got rid of the annoying as poo poo decadence mechanic.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Which programs are you using to make your maps with? I have often thought about doing the same (my own guilty pleasure is creating biographies and timelines for my characters/their kingdoms) but I have zero experience doing anything in photoshop. It would be a learning experience!

I use photoshop a lot, there are quite a few good tutorials over at cartographer's guild to get yourself started. A free alternative would be GIMP, but I know nothing about that program.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

nutranurse posted:

I use photoshop a lot, there are quite a few good tutorials over at cartographer's guild to get yourself started. A free alternative would be GIMP, but I know nothing about that program.
I used GIMP for the above map; it can render .svg files, but I'm self-taught and know nothing about that. I started with a map I liked, created a new layer, traced the shorelines with the path tool, then approximated the boundaries of Jerusalem by eye (which is when you realize how off Paradox geography is even outside of stuff like the Caspian Sea) and drew those paths as well, rendered all that with anti-aliasing off, selected the areas and colored that in a different layer, then rendered the paths again but this time with AA on and varying line thicknesses and so forth, hid the no-AA layer so only the lines rendered with anti-aliasing on were visible, then made a new layer, marked down the cities I wanted to mark down, then made a last layer and put all my text in. Then I cropped the image to my liking.

I am certain that was one of the most inefficient ways possible of making such a map. It took me two undedicated hours to do, from selecting a base map to saving the png.

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

all I need is a grant and Project :roboluv: is go
Someone gifted me a copy of this game a few days ago, after a couple of really rough starts I'm having a lot of fun with it. Got steamrolled trying to play a couple of eastern european princes and badly managed the inheritances, so I started over as a petty king in Ireland. Within the first king's reign I managed to establish and unify the kingdom of Ireland and repel the Norman invasion of England with a quadruple alliance of Ireland, Norway, England and the HRE. Got two of my nephews onto the thrones of Galicia and Leon and married my son to an English princess shortly before the first king, Murchad the Careless, died at age 82.

Second king consolidated his hold over Ireland pretty well, with the exception of a fairly uppity duke of Leinster. That dude forced an elective law change with his faction, but with my close family members holding all the other duchies, he's kinda poo poo outta luck and ended up changing his vote for himself to a vote for my heir.

Near the final years of King Brian the Wise, I noticed that I had a weak claim on the entire kingdom of England that could be pressed on behalf of my wife. England was a broken mess of warring duchies, rebel factions, and had a son of Castile holding the throne... what the hell. It was very, very close, but I managed to take over England and earn a surrender of the whole kingdom about a month before my king died. My heir got Ireland with his mom owning England around 1130 CE.

England immediately shattered again into a five-way civil war, but with my alliances in Denmark and the HRE, the Irish/English/Danish/HRE hellstack beat them all down. In the midst of this, I managed to marry my son to the heiress of the Kingdom of Scotland. He is set to inherit Ireland, England, and Scotland all in one swoop.

As soon as the civil war was suppressed in England, Norway broke the alliance and invaded, somehow taking out the queen's whole army. Denmark won't respond, there are 11.5k Norwegian troops sitting on top of London, and I can muster just slightly less than that. Irish coffers are at 180 gold after the decade of war securing England for my dynasty.

It miiiiiiight work.

Dr. Cogwerks fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Aug 19, 2013

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Just in general it'd be nice to see the AI not actively be as stupid as they can about playing. And maybe a way to affect how often peasants revolt, it's really tiresome to have what feels like three a month. It's probably closer to three-five a year, but still.

Also, I think I found the logical extreme of ruler interbreeding:

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Flesnolk posted:

Just in general it'd be nice to see the AI not actively be as stupid as they can about playing. And maybe a way to affect how often peasants revolt, it's really tiresome to have what feels like three a month. It's probably closer to three-five a year, but still.

It's the Second Coming!

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Hey, Paradox, please add some of the cool new interface additions from EUIV back into CKII. Particularly unit maintenance stuff. I booted up CKII and I keep hitting 'g' to group my armies.

It never works. :negative:

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

So I don't know about the religious stuff much, playing a Zoroastrian and got some rear end in a top hat Manchurian heresy spreading around that I can't figure out how to get rid of. Does proselytizing work for heresies to convert the counties back? Had a dude on that for years it seemed like and nothing. Or is that something you have to reform the religion for first? The Muslim rear end in a top hat controlling most of Persia has like twice my troops and refuses to die of old age, seems like I'll have to pray for assassinations then double-pray that his succession is all hosed up.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Flesnolk posted:

Parthenogenesis!

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Flesnolk posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkWeMvrNiOM

Life finds a way.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
I'd be lying if I said it wasn't tempting to get the virgin-born patriarch of the House of Connacht onto the imperial throne somehow, though maybe I'll settle for designating him King of Ireland one day or something. I'd be worried about a game over actively getting another dynasty onto my main title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Fintilgin posted:

Hey, Paradox, please add some of the cool new interface additions from EUIV back into CKII. Particularly unit maintenance stuff. I booted up CKII and I keep hitting 'g' to group my armies.

It never works. :negative:

I'm not sure when it happened exactly, but I do love the recent interface changes in CKII. The "will plot for money" icon has saved me a lot of headaches and wasted money, and the auto-invite to plot (when it works) and auto-end plots are great as well.

Now, if there was a way to drag-select my navy instead of my army.

EDIT: gently caress invading pagans and their horrible attrition rates.

• Locked thread