Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Wario In Real Life posted:

More promising (albeit pretty generic) news about the 70D: http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canon-eos-70d/7

I just wish we had a solid release date. I've got some events coming up that I'd like to shoot.

For what it's worth, I saw a 70D ad on Japanese TV during coverage of the World Track and Field Championships last week. Also, a sign in the local camera shop talking about it being due "soon." I'll look again today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Indeed it sounds strange but the 70D has the best crop (1.6) sensor in any Canon body as of right now. Not surprised at all they'd use it to get even more reach out of the super-tele lenses at such an event.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

torgeaux posted:

I just got one wireless from amazon. Satechi.

WTR-A? Looked just like what I was looking for, and all in one unit no less. I just ordered one, should arrive Thursday. :woop:

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.
Welp... my 5dii arrived. I am in love, it makes the 400d look like a toy. The viewfinder is amazing.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

The most exciting part of the 70D is what'll happen when they put the sensor in an m body.

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer
I've been noticing an issue with my T3i and my 64GB card, where the red storage access light flickers while the camera is on, as if it never finishes writing images to the card. This happens as soon as the camera is turned on, and only with the 64GB - my 16GB cards don't do this.

It doesn't seem to be losing images, so I'm not sure if this is really a problem, but has anyone else noticed this or knows what's going on?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I just got my hands on an 85 1.8 lens today for a bit, I've never used long glass on my 600D before. This thing is sexy as hell, definitely my next buy.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I just got my hands on an 85 1.8 lens today for a bit, I've never used long glass on my 600D before. This thing is sexy as hell, definitely my next buy.

It's not L glass but there is no good reason it shouldn't be. That thing is all around awesome and a great bang for the buck.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah, I really enjoyed using it. It seems to be a good lens for portraits, I find the 50 on a crop still that bit wide when it comes to getting portraits.
The focus on it is also very nice and fast. It's not super sharp wide open but I'm not that concerned.

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark
oriental magic :roboluv:
Going to take the a train trip from Portland to Glacier National Park, and then to Chicago. I've wanted to add a telephoto to my kit for a bit more reach, but I can't decide between the 70-200 F4L IS and the 70-300 F4-5.6L IS. I have a 6D, 24-105, and a 100L macro.

What does the goon hive mind say?

I'm interested in getting better wildlife and landscape shots, and love bug pictures.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Get the 70-200

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

pseudonordic posted:

Just doing some 200mm curls, scoping the bokehs. Do you even DoF, bro?

Pretty much. The AF is pretty drat fast and smarter than the 50L and 35L. From what everyone says I can only imagine the f/2.8L IS II

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

ShotgunWillie posted:

Going to take the a train trip from Portland to Glacier National Park, and then to Chicago. I've wanted to add a telephoto to my kit for a bit more reach, but I can't decide between the 70-200 F4L IS and the 70-300 F4-5.6L IS. I have a 6D, 24-105, and a 100L macro.

What does the goon hive mind say?

I'm interested in getting better wildlife and landscape shots, and love bug pictures.

With the 6D I'd break ranks and go with the 70-300, as 200 just isn't that long.

dont hate the playa
May 12, 2009
Tamron 70-300 isnt too bad either.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Canon 100-400L is great for wildlife. And you don't overlap range with your 24-105.

Also consider the 300mm f4 L prime

INTJ Mastermind fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Aug 18, 2013

Encor3
Jun 29, 2005

Konnichiwa Bitches

Drunk Badger posted:

I've been noticing an issue with my T3i and my 64GB card, where the red storage access light flickers while the camera is on, as if it never finishes writing images to the card. This happens as soon as the camera is turned on, and only with the 64GB - my 16GB cards don't do this.

It doesn't seem to be losing images, so I'm not sure if this is really a problem, but has anyone else noticed this or knows what's going on?

I don't have that issue on my T3i when using a Sony SDXC 64GB 40MB/s card. My guess would be your card may be faulty. It flashes for about half a second on boot up and that's it.

Anveo
Mar 23, 2002

torgeaux posted:

With the 6D I'd break ranks and go with the 70-300, as 200 just isn't that long.

I took my 6D and a 70-300L to Costa Rica for a month and I'm glad I had that extra reach. Relatively compact lens as well.

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho

So easy, a baby in leopard print can use it!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

With the godly 40mm :getin:

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Canon 100-400L is great for wildlife. And you don't overlap range with your 24-105.

Also consider the 300mm f4 L prime

Does the 100-400L hold up to the other two in terms of quality? I understand it to be an older lens and I am unsure about the push/pull.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

ShotgunWillie posted:

Does the 100-400L hold up to the other two in terms of quality? I understand it to be an older lens and I am unsure about the push/pull.

I really liked mine. Sure, best if stopped down a bit, but the IS was surprisingly good for it's generation. Push/pull is actually easy to get used to.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

ShotgunWillie posted:

I love my 100-400L. Actually, that lens is the only reason I keep my DSLR around anymore. It's not bad at all wide open and stopped down just a third to f/6.3 it is tack sharp and great.

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark
It's a bit out of my price range. The 70-300 is pushing it, but I'm willing to stretch if I find it compelling enough. I like the reach, but not the relatively poor aperture. Reverse that for the 70-200.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
If you're shooting outdoors 80%+ of the time in ok/good light the 70-300 is outstanding. If you look hard enough you can get the 70-200 f4 IS and a 1.4 TC for the same money but the quality at 280mm and f5.6 isn't as good as the 70-300 at 300. Just get the 70-300.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Get a used 70-300 DO.

:suicide:

(I want to love that lens so bad and considering I've seen it as low as 600 used... Looking at the bokeh from it will change your mind though)

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

ShotgunWillie posted:

It's a bit out of my price range. The 70-300 is pushing it, but I'm willing to stretch if I find it compelling enough. I like the reach, but not the relatively poor aperture. Reverse that for the 70-200.

Really, the 70-200 does not have the reach required to shoot wildlife (especially birds) on an FF camera. Get the 70-300, or a 300/400mm prime. I shoot with the 70-200 almost every day. It's a wonderful lens, but it's not made to do the job you're looking to do.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
I'd also suggest the 70-300L. Great IS. The difference between 200 and 300 is pretty substantial for wildlife. Compared with the 100-400, the extra 100mm on the 400 is not as big proportionally as the jump from 200 to 300, while the 70 is very useful on the wide end for landscapes or portraits. It's a great vacation lens if you aren't specializing on birds or sports.

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -