Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Man, the future is now.

And it is weird.

Game looks pretty good, though. Can't wait to try it out. (Though, seriously, what city has that many instant barriers for cars?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Hackers can turn a gas pipe into a BOMB! :stonk:

I can't wait for this game.

Theodyn
Oct 12, 2012

I like all kinds of alcohol. Except schnapps. Schnapps can go to hell.
So, uh, can you take off Aiden's stupid hat? This is important.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Young Freud posted:

Yeah, it was a research paper at the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers Computer Society Symposium on Security and Privacy in 2008 that demonstrated how it could be done and defenses against such attacks. Recently, a security researcher at McAfee named Barnaby Jack hacked an unimplanted insulin injector to dump its entire contents, which would kill someone and hack a pacemaker to deliver a 830-volt heart attack. Of course, Jack died two weeks ago, right before he was to attend a Black Hat conference in Las Vegas, where he would have talked about vulnerabilities in implanted medical devices.

So, truth is stranger than fiction.

Barnaby Jack also had a cool talk a few years ago where he showed he could hack _any_ ATM and make it give him free money. So that's pretty cool too. His death is definitely a loss to the security community.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

'nother video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeRuOtXLHv4

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Theodyn posted:

Are you kidding? That's how he stays anonymous, by wearing unique designer clothing to obscure his face and blend in while still wearing the same thing every single day.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

So DedSec is like (Anti)Anonymous? Gotcha.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Wake up, sheeple! This guy's not on our team! But neither are the cops!

Who are they supposed to be helping? :confused:

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

omeg posted:

So DedSec is like (Anti)Anonymous? Gotcha.

They're not anti-anonymous, they're practically an analogue of it. In the video it's kept vague whether or not DedSec is supportive of Aiden because the player is going to be given the ability to turn him into either a corporate-smashing hollywood hacktivist or life-invading vigilante supercop. I assume that DedSec is going to be in support of anonymity and CTOS is against it, whereas Aiden just hacks poo poo to suit his own goals.

It's actually really neat how these three sides could play off of each other. So many games are always just a clear-cut story of good vs. evil that it's always nice to see moral ambiguity that makes sense.

circ dick soleil fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Aug 20, 2013

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Wake up, sheeple! This guy's not on our team! But neither are the cops!

Who are they supposed to be helping? :confused:

There are more than two sides. Aiden is not on any side (or at least, not on DedSec nor the cops). They, like the police and Aiden, fancy themselves as protectors of the public.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Huh, apparently Ubisoft is working on a Watch Dogs feature film as well.

quote:

Today at the Sony Computer Entertainment press conference at Gamescom, Ubisoft® announced that its film and television division, Ubisoft Motion Pictures, is collaborating with Sony Pictures Entertainment and New Regency on development of a feature film based on Watch Dogs™, Ubisoft’s highly anticipated open-world action-adventure video game. Ubisoft and Sony also showed a first look at the exclusive Watch Dogs gameplay that will be available for PlayStation®4 computer entertainment system this holiday.

“Since both Sony and Ubisoft have movie and video game branches, this deal creates exceptional opportunities for us to merge the realms of the story-based cinematic experience with the interaction of the video game,” said Jean-Julien Baronnet, chief executive officer, Ubisoft Motion Pictures. “In addition, Sony Pictures and New Regency have deep production expertise and are letting us maintain a strong creative voice in the film’s development. Together, we’re confident we can deliver a movie that builds upon the excitement that the game is already generating.”

Commenting on the announcement, Hannah Minghella, president of production for Columbia Pictures, said, "The themes and open gameplay of 'Watch Dogs' lends itself perfectly to the big screen. The game has intense action and adventure, but the story focuses on information and the control of information, which we think will lead to an exciting thriller. It has tremendous potential as a motion picture and we're thrilled to have the opportunity to work closely with Ubisoft's internal creative team on the development of the project."

The project will be overseen at Ubisoft by Ubisoft Motion Pictures. At Columbia, Minghella and Sam Dickerman will oversee development while Alexandra Milchan and Andrew Calof will work on the forthcoming film for New Regency.

http://kotaku.com/watch-dogs-isnt-out-yet-but-theres-a-movie-in-the-wo-1172993658

I guess they're counting on the game being a huge success.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
Unlike other video game movies, I can see this working. It's an almost-modern setting which should translate well to the screen, and hits some really relevant themes while being aesthetically cool enough to appeal to a wide crowd. Will be interesting to see if it pans out.

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

Ah, to be a Hero... Keeping such company...
What's the point of another Die Hard movie when Bruce Willis is too old to play Aiden Pierce?

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
One hopeful side-effect of more cinematic video games is that actual cinema based on them maybe won't be terrible.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
Not until they realize that most gamers care more about the actual story/theme of the game the movie is based on. Otherwise you'll just continue to get some bits jammed in by a writer who read the cliffnotes of the plot while trying to appease us with iconic enemies that may not actually make sense in the context.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I look forward to Aiden's love story with Original McCharacter, a female love interest and fellow hacker added by the movie's creators to make the film seem more realistic. Aiden spends several scenes with her earning that M rating and bouncing plot exposition off of her so that the audience will understand just how techno-future Chicago can function, with absolutely no nuances or subtlety in the face of lots and lots of things exploding.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

CJacobs posted:

I look forward to Aiden's love story with Original McCharacter, a female love interest and fellow hacker added by the movie's creators to make the film seem more realistic. Aiden spends several scenes with her earning that M rating and bouncing plot exposition off of her so that the audience will understand just how techno-future Chicago can function, with absolutely no nuances or subtlety in the face of lots and lots of things exploding.
To be fair, this could be both for the game and the movie.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I know, that's what scares me. :eng99:

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
At this point if you expect anything out of an AAA game's story other than incoherence, massive ludonarrative dissonance, uninspired characterization, hackneyed dialog, and default unreflective cynicism about everything except how awesome it is to shoot people in the face with a handgun or silently choke them to death from behind in four seconds, you're setting yourself up for disappointment.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

TychoCelchuuu posted:

At this point if you expect anything out of an AAA game's story other than incoherence, massive ludonarrative dissonance, uninspired characterization, hackneyed dialog, and default unreflective cynicism about everything except how awesome it is to shoot people in the face with a handgun or silently choke them to death from behind in four seconds, you're setting yourself up for disappointment.

Unless you bought something like The Last of Us, which was pretty much fantastic all around.

Never expect less, just remember what studios have burned you in the past.

CJacobs posted:

Aiden spends several scenes with her earning that M rating and bouncing plot exposition off of her so that the audience will understand just how techno-future Chicago can function, with absolutely no nuances or subtlety in the face of lots and lots of things exploding.

Exposition is not inherently bad if used like it's supposed to be used. A story should always try to show you things rather than tell you things, but there is always going to be a portion that has to be told. Just because you recognize exposition in a story doesn't necessarily mean it's been used poorly. A truly bad exposition dump is usually obvious even to people that don't tend to pick apart stories.

I'm also convinced that people who demand nuances and subtlety on the internet are the same people that, when they get their nuance and subtlety in a movie/story, immediately bitch about it being vague and incomprehensible.

DFu4ever fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Aug 21, 2013

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I hope the movie is a just a shot for shot remake of Hackers, except set in future Chicago

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
So they're making Person of Interest: The Game: The Movie. Sure, Ubisoft, why not.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

DFu4ever posted:

Exposition is not inherently bad if used like it's supposed to be used. A story should always try to show you things rather than tell you things, but there is always going to be a portion that has to be told. Just because you recognize exposition in a story doesn't necessarily mean it's been used poorly. A truly bad exposition dump is usually obvious even to people that don't tend to pick apart stories.

Having a character exist only for the main character to bounce exposition off of them so that it's easier for the audience to understand what's going on is unequivocally bad if that's their ONLY purpose, and anyone who puts someone like that in their story is a bad writer. See: Lois Lane in the latest Superman movie.

:v: "LOIS WHAT'S HAPPENING YOU TALKED TO SUPERMAN RIGHT?"
:j: "There are aliens that are of Superman's race and he is going to have to fight them! I know because I was there and I heard them say that to him just one scene ago!"
:v: "Why were you there? They wanted you to be on the alien ship?"
:j: "Yeah"
:v: "But why"
:j: "WHO knows" *cue Superman fighting Zod and destroying the city because that's what Lois relayed to the audience was going to happen*

But moreover than that, it was a joke and you probably shouldn't have taken it seriously.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

The Glumslinger posted:

I hope the movie is a just a shot for shot remake of Hackers, except set in future Chicago

YES.

Somehow we must make this happen.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

The Glumslinger posted:

Only if we can get Ice T to star in it, under the false pretense that it's actually a sequel to Johnny Mnemonic.

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx
Any word on system requirements yet? I'm afraid I may need to upgrade my graphics card for this.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Theodyn posted:

Yeah, you can download the trendy fedora & trenchcoat with t-shirt DLC.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

memy posted:

Any word on system requirements yet? I'm afraid I may need to upgrade my graphics card for this.

I'm hoping Game Debate's speculative system requirements are accurate. I'm in the 8-9 range for everything except graphics where I apparently score only a 6. I'm not one for maxing out my settings though.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Mordaedil posted:

Yeah, you can download the trendy fedora & trenchcoat with t-shirt DLC.

Can I wear the fedora with the trivial fursuit shirt DLC instead?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Hatbox Ghost posted:

Can I wear the fedora with the trivial fursuit shirt DLC instead?

No.

The fedora pack DLC is only available to be used with the Khaki shorts and tacky Hawaiian t-shirts addon DLC.

Fursuit shirt DLC is only compatible with fur-hats that also registers your home address with the FBI and automatically puts you on a list.

This does not extend to the Furhelmets with fedora DLC sold exclusively because of popular demand.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Mordaedil posted:

No.

The fedora pack DLC is only available to be used with the Khaki shorts and tacky Hawaiian t-shirts addon DLC.
No three wolf moon shirt, no :10bux: Ubisoft :argh:

Looks like there's some impressions out of Gamescom, though I'm not sure how it was demoed. I thought these two were probably the least wishy-washy (didn't you know, it's like GTA and Assassin's Creed). This PC Gamer article addressed ending(s), punishment system(s), lethality choice, and a little about how stealth works in the comments (might be considered spoilers I guess, but I wanted to point it out in case anyone was dying to know). Honestly, it made me somewhat less interested in it overall, but hopefully they still pull off a good game.

Edit: Looks like they're also doing another thing with phone apps (some sort of ARG/contest?), but according to a comment there it's not available for the US.

Doom Goon fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Aug 23, 2013

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
Rock Paper Shotgun has a 14 Minute Gameplay Demo up, the player jumping in looks like it could be a lot of fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRAzrwRZ-T4&hd=1

I don't care about public perception, I'm going to be Batman and stop crimes before they happen. The hero the people deserve. :3: I also echo RPS's sentiments:

quote:

Please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good…

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Tortolia posted:

So they're making Person of Interest: The Game: The Movie. Sure, Ubisoft, why not.

All I'm going to do in the freeroam is recreate episodes from Season 1. Too bad we probably won't get a dog :smith:.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Wow, this is a much more interesting variant on Dark Souls's invasion system. I am actually interested in this.

-Dethstryk-
Oct 20, 2000
Don't skip that video, everyone. This game is honestly more well-thought out than I would have expected during the initial unveiling. I'm floored by the seamless MP stuff.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
If I can jump into random games and throw up those stopbars while they are going full speed down the road I am going to be in love with this game. I hope they have some in-game VOIP so I can transmit some music while I hunt them down in their own game world. :black101:

e: Or setup IEDs like the dev does against the NPCs in the beginning but trick players into chasing you around a blind corner into it.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
Have we seen any actual current gen footage of the game? Or even screens? I rather doubt I'm going to own a PS4 any time soon, but I don't want to get the game on PS3 and it turns out to be ugly as hell and run like crap because it's doing too much for This Gen to handle.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I'm assuming that you don't look like Aiden when invading. Did they say what, specifically, you get from hacking other players? More XP and/or money?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Speedball posted:

I'm assuming that you don't look like Aiden when invading. Did they say what, specifically, you get from hacking other players? More XP and/or money?

You look like Aiden to you, but you are a random citizen in the other player's world.

This is true no matter which side of the invasion you're on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Mo_Steel posted:

Rock Paper Shotgun has a 14 Minute Gameplay Demo up, the player jumping in looks like it could be a lot of fun.

I don't care about public perception, I'm going to be Batman and stop crimes before they happen. The hero the people deserve. :3: I also echo RPS's sentiments:

I was really impressed with the video, but is WD coming out on PC? Doesn't RPS usually just cover PC stuff?

• Locked thread