Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

DinosaurWarfare posted:

I apologize if this has been answered in the first 76 pages, but considering the jump from English to Engineering is kind of huge, and from what I've gathered most graduate engineering programs want you to already have an undergrad from an ABET accredited program, what's the "smartest" way to use your benefits to accomplish this?

If a particular school offers a post-bachelor's certificate for this kind of situation that leads into a 2nd degree, would it be wise/possible to slowly kill that using TA while on AD and then do the 2nd bachelor's using GI Bill?

I'm going to do the second bachelors as well also from English to Engineering. There is all of one program I've found which is at Boston U (maybe college) that fast tracks you through a program to a masters. Outside of that you're sort of forced into the second degree. Of course finding a place that will let you in for a second degree is also a giant pain but usually state schools will allow it. I know there are a few people on here doing something similar so you're by no means alone.

Also, if you have or get a year or two of math/science University of Melbourne in Australia will let you do a three year masters in engineering. Just a heads up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.
Hey, I've been doing that same thing for a while. Here was my situation:

The pre-reqs for any masters program in electrical engineering in my area looked something like this:
Taking advanced RF circuits required having completed RF fields which required having completed physics2 and digital 2 which required digital 1 which required electronics 2 which required electronics 1 which required circuit analysis which required...

See where I'm going? That and "Candidates applying for this masters program should have an undergraduate degree in electrical engineering" also kind of sealed the deal.

There's also some legal requirements that I am a bit fuzzy on with regards to professional licensing. I think it comes down to each state's specific rules.

Another thing to make your decision easier from a friend: "I would never hire someone that had an advanced engineering degree that didn't also have a basic engineering degree since they're probably not going to use the advanced knowledge as much as the basic knowledge"

HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

Highly trained by the US military at expedient semen processing.

DinosaurWarfare posted:

I apologize if this has been answered in the first 76 pages, but considering the jump from English to Engineering is kind of huge, and from what I've gathered most graduate engineering programs want you to already have an undergrad from an ABET accredited program, what's the "smartest" way to use your benefits to accomplish this?

If a particular school offers a post-bachelor's certificate for this kind of situation that leads into a 2nd degree, would it be wise/possible to slowly kill that using TA while on AD and then do the 2nd bachelor's using GI Bill?

Find a program that you are interested in and talk to them about your personal situation.

DinosaurWarfare
Apr 27, 2010
Thanks for the info guys. It's going to be a good while before I even get to worry about the logistics of getting a second degree anyway, I just wanted to know how people in the military would use their benefits/resources to get it accomplished, given that most schools I've already contacted about it have either told me "Just apply as a transfer student and we'll take x amount of credits that apply to the program and you'll have to finish the rest" or "We have a certificate program for people without a hard science background to cross over and finish a second degree".

And even if it could be done using TA over several years at different places, would it even be worth it considering you wouldn't have the time to take advantage of internships and other experience builders?

edit:
My post kind of buried his on the page before this so I'll quote it so it gets read

Mr. Nice! posted:

So what does chapter 31 really provide? I'm hazy on this.

DinosaurWarfare fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Aug 15, 2013

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Mr. Nice! posted:

So what does chapter 31 really provide? I'm hazy on this.

Full tuition and fees, full textbook coverage, BAH just as Chapter 33. 50 dollars in supplies per term, assorted extras like convincing them to buy you a laptop and printer, plus ink.

Folks in vocational schools get essentials like tools/diagnostic equipment covered, but I don't know the ins and outs of that.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I might need to look in switching over then. Is there any disadvantage to 31 vs 33?

Smoke Crack
Apr 6, 2009

Oh, sure, sure. I know you. You're gonna keep on saying I'm suave and sophisticated, and then when I start to believe it, then you're gonna say how pointy head I have, and how floppy arms I have, and how dull I am, I know you.

Mr. Nice! posted:

I might need to look in switching over then. Is there any disadvantage to 31 vs 33?

Not really.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
If you qualify for both 31 and 33 it's always better to combine the two. You get the best of both worlds - the full tuition coverage + full supplies coverage of 31 and the BAH of 33.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

Vasudus posted:

If you qualify for both 31 and 33 it's always better to combine the two. You get the best of both worlds - the full tuition coverage + full supplies coverage of 31 and the BAH of 33.

If you get the Navy/Army College Fund top up from an enlistment bonus do you still get when you use CH 31?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

front wing flexing posted:

If you get the Navy/Army College Fund top up from an enlistment bonus do you still get when you use CH 31?

College fund and top up are two different things. College fund is "40-70k for college" which turns into an addon to your BAH, which you most certainly still get. The 'Top Up' is an additional 600 dollars you pay into the MGIB, which with the advent of Post 9/11, disappears completely. You don't get that extra 600 back ever.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

Vasudus posted:

College fund and top up are two different things. College fund is "40-70k for college" which turns into an addon to your BAH, which you most certainly still get. The 'Top Up' is an additional 600 dollars you pay into the MGIB, which with the advent of Post 9/11, disappears completely. You don't get that extra 600 back ever.

loving SGT Lazada "do the top up you'll thank me!"

Smoke Crack
Apr 6, 2009

Oh, sure, sure. I know you. You're gonna keep on saying I'm suave and sophisticated, and then when I start to believe it, then you're gonna say how pointy head I have, and how floppy arms I have, and how dull I am, I know you.
I just got a letter in the mail from the VA telling me I've been scheduled for group orientation for chapter 31. What should I be expecting/is there anything I should be preparing for?

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

Smoke Crack posted:

I just got a letter in the mail from the VA telling me I've been scheduled for group orientation for chapter 31. What should I be expecting/is there anything I should be preparing for?

It was all day for me. An employment commission rep came and spoke for an hour and then there was a brief by a Voc Rehab person on the program it self. The class was full so the longest part was waiting to see the counselor to officially qualify for the program. After that I took the aptitude and vocational preference tests. All in all it was seven or eight hours. It would have been much shorter but the amount of stupid questions asked by people that didn't even bother to stay the whole day dragged things along.

After the group day, a couple of weeks later you meet with someone to go over your test results and make sure your aptitude, likes, and educational/vocational goals match up.

Vasudus posted:

Thanks.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Just applied for vocational rehab. Thanks!

one1two2three3
Mar 22, 2013
What advice do you guys have for an Active Army guy in the Seattle/Tacoma area? There are a lot of schools around here, and I want to start chipping away at my degree. I quit school after 2 years, with a garbage GPA, to sign up and do what I'm doing now. Obviously I didn't pay any attention to the advice on this forum, but at this point I'm extremely happy with my decision and now have the stability to continue to work on my degree.

Admittedly I only made a quick stop into the education center here on post, so they're my next stop with pretty much the same questions. Any advice on what I should be specifically asking, or avoiding? I've got a few years on my contract, and will probably pick up one more, so I'm not in any rush to finish anything. More importantly, I'd like to get something out of it instead of just plugging away at the computer to get a piece of paper.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Pick a school with a real campus that offers online courses. A rented out building behind the abandoned strip mall does not count.
Do not pick an online school.

Do not be me :smith:

NIGGER DEATH TURBO
Jul 4, 2013

by Lowtax

KetTarma posted:

Do not be me :smith:

this is pretty good advice regarding anything really

Bodanarko
May 29, 2009

one1two2three3 posted:

What advice do you guys have for an Active Army guy in the Seattle/Tacoma area? There are a lot of schools around here, and I want to start chipping away at my degree. I quit school after 2 years, with a garbage GPA, to sign up and do what I'm doing now. Obviously I didn't pay any attention to the advice on this forum, but at this point I'm extremely happy with my decision and now have the stability to continue to work on my degree.

Admittedly I only made a quick stop into the education center here on post, so they're my next stop with pretty much the same questions. Any advice on what I should be specifically asking, or avoiding? I've got a few years on my contract, and will probably pick up one more, so I'm not in any rush to finish anything. More importantly, I'd like to get something out of it instead of just plugging away at the computer to get a piece of paper.

As a WA resident stationed out of state, I've been using Pierce college online and they have been pretty great and very cooperative, they are based out of western WA area and have classrooms/whatever on JBLM so it should be convenient. Western WA has lots of pretty decent community colleges and you could maybe swing something with UW if you are smart or whatever.

Stay away from Phoenix online.

Also, go outside, you have a rainforest on one side and loving mountains all around. No one I know that has been through there ever gets out and sees my amazing state. gently caress.

Smoke Crack
Apr 6, 2009

front wing flexing posted:

It was all day for me. An employment commission rep came and spoke for an hour and then there was a brief by a Voc Rehab person on the program it self. The class was full so the longest part was waiting to see the counselor to officially qualify for the program. After that I took the aptitude and vocational preference tests. All in all it was seven or eight hours. It would have been much shorter but the amount of stupid questions asked by people that didn't even bother to stay the whole day dragged things along.

After the group day, a couple of weeks later you meet with someone to go over your test results and make sure your aptitude, likes, and educational/vocational goals match up.

Thanks so much dude.

Optiquest
Feb 8, 2004

one1two2three3 posted:

If you take any classes while you are in make sure they will transfer to the program and school you want to eventually go to. If it were me I'd avoid online classes. I took four 3-credit music classes from a music college that were online while I was in, and my school doesn't recognize them. So I have to take another arts credit. Whats that last sentence suppose to mean? What are we suppose to tell you? Its kind of insulting to hear that you think you can mindlessly earn "a piece of paper" considering the time and effort I've put into my classes. Pick something that interests you and has a salary you are comfortable with. The world is pretty full up on doctors and engineers so go hog wild.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Optiquest posted:

The world is pretty full up on doctors and engineers so go hog wild.

This is demonstrably false. Particularly the first.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Optiquest posted:

The world is pretty full up on doctors and engineers so go hog wild.
You sure about that?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
The VA sent me an application for VA education benefits form 22-1990. That poo poo isn't needed to be filled out and sent back right? My school has everything and says that I'm good. I figured it's just a redundancy thing.

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch
When during the month does the BAH hit your account?

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

pkells posted:

When during the month does the BAH hit your account?

The last day of the month. It changes if the last day falls on a holiday or weekend same as active duty pay.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

shyduck posted:

You sure about that?

Yes. There are more STEM jobs than there are workers. This is well-documented. We are certainly not "full up" on Engineers, that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. And if job prospects are what concern you, STEM, (and in particular Engineering or Computer-Science) is probably your best bet.

Optiquest
Feb 8, 2004

Maybe it was a joke? I said the entire world needs less doctors. Get it? Guys?

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

If I just had 400 dollars hit my account, is that the payment for the 7 days worth of classes I took during summer/5 days of classes I have in August next semester or is that what's left over from my book stipend or something?

I'm a bit confused as to how much to expect come end of the month.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

KetTarma posted:

If I just had 400 dollars hit my account, is that the payment for the 7 days worth of classes I took during summer/5 days of classes I have in August next semester or is that what's left over from my book stipend or something?

My book stipend hit earlier this week. Other than that i dunno. PSU has multiple summer semesters. When one semester ended, I received payment from BAH for that partial month about a week-10 days later.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

KetTarma posted:

BAH/30 = daily rate.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Relentlessboredomm posted:

This is demonstrably false. Particularly the first.

What about doctors of engineering?

jymbojones
Jul 4, 2010
I've got a weird situation going on with my BAH rate for post 9/11, maybe some goons have had similar issues and any insight would be appreciated.

I'm majoring in Radiological Sciences (Xrays and poo poo). My school runs this program through their school of nursing, which is not in the same city as the main campus. The school of nursing is in a much larger city with a much higher BAH rate (talking like $400 more a month here). All of my classes starting next week, and for the next 2.5 years will be at this campus or on the internet. I will never have a class on main campus, because that's not how the program works, all of my clinical work will be in the bigger city as well.

So I get my "here's yo money" letter in the mail. Book stipend delivered, no problems. But I notice my BAH rate is MUCH lower than I was anticipating, so I looked it up and sure as poo poo, it's the rate for living in the town that main campus is on. I call up my school's VA office and they tell me that BAH rate is based on the title of your major. They said that since my degree title is "Radiological Sciences" the VA's system is showing that degree program as associated with main campus, despite the program NOT being housed there in any capacity. You can do some pre-clinical classes there, but you can take all the same classes at the nursing school. There is zero reason to ever set foot on main campus other than for football games.

The school's VA office was super apologetic and they legit had no idea that this program was run through the nursing school (it's a small school in Louisiana, so I'm not surprised). They said that they couldn't change anything, and I'd have to get in touch with the VA to sort it out with them.

So as I'm typing this, I've been on hold for like 24 minutes waiting to talk to a real person at the VA. I was really just wondering if anyone has had anything like this happen to them, how they fixed it, or if I'm just going to be hosed out of 400 bucks a month because my degree says something different than someone taking classes literally across the hall from me.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

jymbojones posted:

I've got a weird situation going on with my BAH rate for post 9/11, maybe some goons have had similar issues and any insight would be appreciated.

I'm majoring in Radiological Sciences (Xrays and poo poo). My school runs this program through their school of nursing, which is not in the same city as the main campus. The school of nursing is in a much larger city with a much higher BAH rate (talking like $400 more a month here). All of my classes starting next week, and for the next 2.5 years will be at this campus or on the internet. I will never have a class on main campus, because that's not how the program works, all of my clinical work will be in the bigger city as well.

So I get my "here's yo money" letter in the mail. Book stipend delivered, no problems. But I notice my BAH rate is MUCH lower than I was anticipating, so I looked it up and sure as poo poo, it's the rate for living in the town that main campus is on. I call up my school's VA office and they tell me that BAH rate is based on the title of your major. They said that since my degree title is "Radiological Sciences" the VA's system is showing that degree program as associated with main campus, despite the program NOT being housed there in any capacity. You can do some pre-clinical classes there, but you can take all the same classes at the nursing school. There is zero reason to ever set foot on main campus other than for football games.

The school's VA office was super apologetic and they legit had no idea that this program was run through the nursing school (it's a small school in Louisiana, so I'm not surprised). They said that they couldn't change anything, and I'd have to get in touch with the VA to sort it out with them.

So as I'm typing this, I've been on hold for like 24 minutes waiting to talk to a real person at the VA. I was really just wondering if anyone has had anything like this happen to them, how they fixed it, or if I'm just going to be hosed out of 400 bucks a month because my degree says something different than someone taking classes literally across the hall from me.

That's going to have to be something between your certifying official and the VA, I highly highly doubt that there is anything you can do about it. Have your certifying official call the VA and explain that they need to change the zip code for the degree program in VA-ONCE. I've never had to do it personally, but I know it can be done because I know of other schools nearby that have.

Good luck, that's not exactly an easy problem to fix.

jymbojones
Jul 4, 2010

Vasudus posted:

That's going to have to be something between your certifying official and the VA, I highly highly doubt that there is anything you can do about it. Have your certifying official call the VA and explain that they need to change the zip code for the degree program in VA-ONCE. I've never had to do it personally, but I know it can be done because I know of other schools nearby that have.

Good luck, that's not exactly an easy problem to fix.

After a couple more phone calls, I got to the root of the issue: My states VA ELR (Education Liaison Rep) and state auditor decided that at the nursing school, the only people who get the higher BAH rate are nursing majors. Period. All other degrees will be considered as main campus. My VA reps at school are willing to work with me on fighting this and are going to help me plead the case to the ELR (you can't contact these fucks directly as a vet).

I need a drink.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

jymbojones posted:

After a couple more phone calls, I got to the root of the issue: My states VA ELR (Education Liaison Rep) and state auditor decided that at the nursing school, the only people who get the higher BAH rate are nursing majors. Period. All other degrees will be considered as main campus. My VA reps at school are willing to work with me on fighting this and are going to help me plead the case to the ELR (you can't contact these fucks directly as a vet).

I need a drink.

That's a shame, because the rep for CT is a really nice guy that's worked out issues for us in the past. Sorry to hear that yours is a dick.

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch
Are Pell Grants $5500 per semester, or per year? I've heard both over the last few weeks?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

pkells posted:

Are Pell Grants $5500 per semester, or per year? I've heard both over the last few weeks?

Year.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

pkells posted:

If the amount is 5500 awarded, that's what'll be given to you divvied up between two semesters but paid out in one lump sum. This is how my school does it, or at least what the finance office has told me. On campus connect, it shows the total amount of free money plus how it's divvied up between 3 quarters.

mokhtar belmokhtar
May 8, 2013

by T. Finninho

pkells posted:

for a quad zero bro? 5500 per year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

Highly trained by the US military at expedient semen processing.
Submitted my certification request to the school a month ago. Go by today and ask how that's going and about when I'll get my money.

"Uhhh, still waiting to send the certification to the VA, once it goes out expect 2-12 weeks." Dude told me they are busy and they hope to get it out *soon*

• Locked thread